OT: Golf Season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Golf Season

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just bought the M2 and brought it to my round Thursday at Tradition in Wallingford, peeled off the plastic on the 1st tee. Had been going back and forth with the old R11S and the AeroBurner for the first few months of this year without being all that happy. Heard I wouldn't like the sound or feel of that new compound but 1st tee was real nice and it didn't let me down minus a couple bad swings. Think I have something to work with and love the forgiveness to boot. $299 at most places it's a good deal now, if you want to wait it out they will drop soon I believe. I almost went with the M1 after reading but while standing at Golfers Warehouse I brought up the Mark Crossfield videos on the M2 (here's one ) and comparisons of both clubs and he basically said if you're one of those players who looks into the details really hard (rate spin speed etc etc) then the M1 is for you but the reality is for $100 less the M2 performs just as well for the average amatuer golfer looking for game improvement. If you want to see test on any club this guy is excellent just throw the club(s) name and Mark Crossfield YouTube in google and you'll get some good ideas.

Yeah, if I'm spending the extra $100, I'm getting the Epic, not the M1. M2 is more forgiving than M1 and almost as long. But the best price I've seen on it is $399. Where are you seeing $299 for the 2017?

Reaction Score
Yeah, if I'm spending the extra $100, I'm getting the Epic, not the M1. M2 is more forgiving than M1 and almost as long. But the best price I've seen on it is $399. Where are you seeing $299 for the 2017?

They had buckets of them for $299 at Golfers Warehouse on Wednesday. Not sure if it was a sale but I jumped on them. Oh yeah sorry forgot to mention they are 2016's, and no biggie there they're brand new and like Crossfield said "some people still believe in Santa" LOL...

Reaction Score
Just this week bought the Calloway Epic, could not believe how far I hit it. Added an extra 10 to 15 yards on my drive. Really unbelievable.

While I agree with the Epic distance, I tried a demo at the Pro Shop. The problem for me is that extra 10-15 yards is problematic when it adds 5 frustrating minutes finding my ball deeper in those woods.

Reaction Score
How is Lyman Orchards?
This time of year Lyman can be wet as it doesn't drain well on some holes. Never played the Player course but played one (Blackmoore) in Myrtle Beach and most holes were dog legs. Got a little boring.
I have an all new swing this year as the result of a metal screen they put in my chest after Bypass surgery. The old one wasn't great but the new swing sucks worse.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Ugh. My charity tournament today was cancelled due to all the rain and the course is "unplayable".

Reaction Score
This time of year Lyman can be wet as it doesn't drain well on some holes. Never played the Player course but played one (Blackmoore) in Myrtle Beach and most holes were dog legs. Got a little boring.
I have an all new swing this year as the result of a metal screen they put in my chest after Bypass surgery. The old one wasn't great but the new swing sucks worse.
Glad to hear you're still playing.

Reaction Score
Epic is good as advertised. Just not big enough of an upgrade from my 915D2 though.

Make sure you get fit for it with the the right shaft. Callaway provides a plethora of shaft options. I've got a Fujikaura Speeder Evolution II TS on my 915D2.

If you struggle with driver control and off center hits, you may want to cut down the shaft by at least half an inch.

Since it's early in the season and know what you want, you may want to get a used Epic driver if you want to save some extra money.

Reaction Score
I agree with the comment that golf, especially winter or resort golf, is generally ridiculously expensive????. Here's an interesting approach being tried at my local course in upstate NY.

First, at little background. It is a nice 9 hole layout, shorter but quite challenging with water on 7 of the nine. They have been having numbers issues for quite a few years and was losing money.

He offered $49 annual unlimited golf membership. You needed to buy a three year membership. Cart fees were not included and no private alcohol is allowed (state law is being enforced). It doesn't cover league play or tournaments. The results have been amazing. Over 400 new members and a three x increase in rounds played. Lots of people coming out in the evenings and playing 3-4 holes as practice time and a major increase in cart rentals and clubhouse sales. He says he is making money...good money. A interesting idea. Thoughts

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I agree with the comment that golf, especially winter or resort golf, is generally ridiculously expensive????. Here's an interesting approach being tried at my local course in upstate NY.

First, at little background. It is a nice 9 hole layout, shorter but quite challenging with water on 7 of the nine. They have been having numbers issues for quite a few years and was losing money.

He offered $49 annual unlimited golf membership. You needed to buy a three year membership. Cart fees were not included and no private alcohol is allowed (state law is being enforced). It doesn't cover league play or tournaments. The results have been amazing. Over 400 new members and a three x increase in rounds played. Lots of people coming out in the evenings and playing 3-4 holes as practice time and a major increase in cart rentals and clubhouse sales. He says he is making money...good money. A interesting idea. Thoughts

What? $50 a year. My local 9 hole is $32 for 9 on weekends and Friday, and gets busy. They'd be out of business at $50 a year, and would be so mobbed that people like me wouldn't want to play there.

Reaction Score
Crazy huh 68? Admittedly up here in WesMass we have some decent courses at better value but I like the CT courses but it's nuts. And the internet deals are less and less sucks. I mean Blackledge getting 64 on weekends? I mean I will go to Fairview Farms all day at 67 if I'm comparing it to this kind of course at that price...ridiculous.
Used to play FFGC, but $67 is not enough to play there, any time during the year. Mostly play Simsbury, which is getting better every year. WesMass was always cheaper, but we went to The Ranch so that was moot.

Reaction Score
Was in a league a few years ago over at Tunxis and my partner literally had fifty metal piercings all over his body. Always checked the weather report to make sure there wasn't any thunder in the forecast.

He even had those ear lobe things that looked like a great place to store a ball marker...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Those are some solid numbers with the hybrids Chin but if you can hit those to those numbers no reason you can't hit a damn driver. Head Games I get it but c'mon. What's the issue duck hooks, pushes what? With the drivers and adjustments it's hard not to find one that works a little at least.

Issues are twofold, First, is practice/reps. Secondly, I hate the look of the giant 450cc drivers. They just look so ungainly. I bought a 4-iron off a clearance rack with steel shaft. I want to take it to a club fitter, extend the shaft and de-loft it to about 16-17 degrees. I think I can get 240 off that and then I'll leave driver in garage.

There is a psych factor of hitting iron off tee as far as most amatuers hit driver.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Issues are twofold, First, is practice/reps. Secondly, I hate the look of the giant 450cc drivers. They just look so ungainly. I bought a 4-iron off a clearance rack with steel shaft. I want to take it to a club fitter, extend the shaft and de-loft it to about 16-17 degrees. I think I can get 240 off that and then I'll leave driver in garage.

There is a psych factor of hitting iron off tee as far as most amatuers hit driver.

I have an old Ping 2 iron that is pretty much that. Extended shaft too. But I hit my driver better than any of my irons, so I would never use it.

Reaction Score
Secondly, I hate the look of the giant 450cc drivers. They just look so ungainly.

Have you tried the mini drivers? They are about 230 or so cc's. Believe Callaway and TM made them a few years back and some pros had them in their bag.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Have you tried the mini drivers? They are about 230 or so cc's. Believe Callaway and TM made them a few years back and some pros had them in their bag.

Full size are 460cc and there are smaller ones are 440cc. I think a lot of pros hit those 440s. If you want 230cc, just go buy a 25 year old driver for $10.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Full size are 460cc and there are smaller ones are 440cc. I think a lot of pros hit those 440s. If you want 230cc, just go buy a 25 year old driver for $10.

I've read up on them and they seem pretty close to my 3-wood.

Reaction Score
Was in a league a few years ago over at Tunxis and my partner literally had fifty metal piercings all over his body. Always checked the weather report to make sure there wasn't any thunder in the forecast.

He even had those ear lobe things that looked like a great place to store a ball marker...
Is this "partner" as in wife or some guy you play with?:)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I have an old Ping 2 iron that is pretty much that. Extended shaft too. But I hit my driver better than any of my irons, so I would never use it.

It's damn near impossible to find a 2-iron. Even harder for a lefty.

Bring on the jokes, but if I could find a 2-iron with a stiff steel shaft extended about an inch, I know I could figure how to get 240 yards off of it.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It's damn near impossible to find a 2-iron. Even harder for a lefty.

Bring on the jokes, but if I could find a 2-iron with a stiff steel shaft extended about an inch, I know I could figure how to get 240 yards off of it.

I'd give you mine, but it's a righty.

Reaction Score

Played with a 3-wood until it broke at the hosel, then went to the 4-wood. Modified it to 2-wood length, about d-7 swingweight with TT Dynamic Gold stiff shaft. Not sure a metal wood could be that, but it might be worth a try.

Reaction Score
And I thought I was screwed up, this is beautiful we have 2 cent heads. I carry 19,22 and 25 hybrids with my driver because I can't for the life of me hit a fairway wood. 5-LW irons and my trusty mallet.

But I think I'm less whacked than some of you what jobs LOL, love it. That's what golf is all about.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
And I thought I was screwed up, this is beautiful we have 2 cent heads. I carry 19,22 and 25 hybrids with my driver because I can't for the life of me hit a fairway wood. 5-LW irons and my trusty mallet.

But I think I'm less whacked than some of you what jobs LOL, love it. That's what golf is all about.

I keep my 3W because my 18 degree hybrid won't go over 200. My iron accuracy sucks...so I rely on reaching par 5s in two if possible, or at least giving myself a short chip.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
3-wood is the stinger club. Perfect for wind 16 degree loft and I can carry it 150 yards without getting 15' off the ground. Normal fairway grass gets me 220+ for total shot.

Can't use it for a forced carry over 180 yards though.

Reaction Score
Played three times this year so far. TPC Sugarloaf, Atlanta Athletic Club and another small course by the house. I still suck but feel like I'm getting slightly better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom