OT: Golf Season | The Boneyard

OT: Golf Season

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Now that it's almost Memorial Day, time for the hacks to break out their sticks.

First reminder of the season. If it's big enough to swallow you whole, DFWI!!

As for this year, for me it's about hitting driver. It's been almost four years since I've been able to stand on a tee box and have any inkling where a drive will end up. I'm fortunate enough to hit a 16 degree hybrid about 225-230 yards and a 4-iron will get me 215 off the tee, which is plenty enough length off the tee for most courses playing from the regular men's tees. But I'd like to use my excess girth and get that thing out there 260+ when necessary. Right now, that isn't an option.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I played (badly) on Saturday. Tomorrow I play in a charity best ball scramble for my daughter's school. Always fun.

But today I did look at some new drivers. I'm playing a Calloway X Tour circa 2006. I think most of the annual "improvements" are nonsense. But over a decade they might amount to something. Looking at Calloway Epic ($$$$), Taylor Made M2 ($$$) or maybe a Cobra King Ltd Black ($$+). Wild card is a Srixon Z565 which came in first in GolfSpy's actually independent testing. Anybody have any thoughts on these?

Reaction Score
Golf is quite possibly my least favorite sport to play. I think it's only matched by Tennis and Volleyball.

Reaction Score
I played (badly) on Saturday. Tomorrow I play in a charity best ball scramble for my daughter's school. Always fun.

But today I did look at some new drivers. I'm playing a Calloway X Tour circa 2006. I think most of the annual "improvements" are nonsense. But over a decade they might amount to something. Looking at Calloway Epic ($$$$), Taylor Made M2 ($$$) or maybe a Cobra King Ltd Black ($$+). Wild card is a Srixon Z565 which came in first in GolfSpy's actually independent testing. Anybody have any thoughts on these?
Have hit all of them except the Srixon, the M2 is great, best of those 3 IMO. Ping G series is great, highly recommend.

10 years might as well 25 in terms of golf technology, the upgrade will upgrade your results.

Reaction Score

Just this week bought the Calloway Epic, could not believe how far I hit it. Added an extra 10 to 15 yards on my drive. Really unbelievable. The high launch and low spin are exactly what I was looking for. I went to my fitting with the Titliest 917D2 in mind. But after hitting several different drivers it came down to the Calloway Epic and the Taylormade M2. The Taylormade was more forgiving and mishits traveled farther than the Epic. Generally my driver does not get me into trouble so I went with the Epic. The distance I gained was hard not to ignore.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Just this week bought the Calloway Epic, could not believe how far I hit it. Added an extra 10 to 15 yards on my drive. Really unbelievable. The high launch and low spin are exactly what I was looking for. I went to my fitting with the Titliest 917D2 in mind. But after hitting several different drivers it came down to the Calloway Epic and the Taylormade M2. The Taylormade was more forgiving and mishits traveled farther than the Epic. Generally my driver does not get me into trouble so I went with the Epic. The distance I gained was hard not to ignore.

Yeah, I've read that the tech in that is the most revolutionary in many years. Those two are top on my list. I usually keep drives in the fairway too, but will get into trouble now and then. M2 is $100 cheaper too though. I was just looking at all the no charge shaft options on the TM website. I should really go for a fitting.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Have hit all of them except the Srixon, the M2 is great, best of those 3 IMO. Ping G series is great, highly recommend.

10 years might as well 25 in terms of golf technology, the upgrade will upgrade your results.

On the last, I think it's more marketing than truth. Saw a recent comparison of the Callaway GBB vs the old GBB from 1996. About 10 yards longer, but the old one was more accurate. I think they wildly exaggerate the changes, as least from the era when 460 cc drivers and game improvement irons came out. But I'm a sucker, so looking anyway.

Reaction Score
Time for one of those free fittings. Been making my own for a while, but broke down and bought a used TM Aeroburner after some research into swing speeds. Only used it twice, might have picked up a couple yards on good hits, but not much to write home about. Bought used Aeroburner 3 & 5, but think my old stuff was more consistent. Really torn as I need an extra 25 off the tee to play holes in regulation these days. Might need to start working out.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I have Calloway X-14s.

I used the three-iron today to knock a swallow's nest off of the deck lights.

Felt well-balanced. I would have liked the sharper angle of the pitching wedge to really scrape it off there, but I felt like the three-iron gave me just a tiny bit more reach.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I have Calloway X-14s.

Felt well-balanced. I would have liked the sharper angle of the pitching wedge to really scrape it off there, but I felt like the three-iron gave me just a tiny bit more reach.

upload_2017-5-14_21-57-14.jpeg

"Thanks a lot buddy. Karma."

Reaction Score
How is Lyman Orchards?

Over priced unless you get a deal. And they think they're Shoal Creek with their rough, ridiculous unless they've changed this year. Plenty of courses around which are priced more in line with the product.

Reaction Score
I have Calloway X-14s.

Good thing you didn't hit him with your 5 iron as that was the only club you could hit. Guessing you grazed the little bastard just like you did the golf ball.

Reaction Score
Now that it's almost Memorial Day, time for the hacks to break out their sticks.

First reminder of the season. If it's big enough to swallow you whole, DFWI!!

As for this year, for me it's about hitting driver. It's been almost four years since I've been able to stand on a tee box and have any inkling where a drive will end up. I'm fortunate enough to hit a 16 degree hybrid about 225-230 yards and a 4-iron will get me 215 off the tee, which is plenty enough length off the tee for most courses playing from the regular men's tees. But I'd like to use my excess girth and get that thing out there 260+ when necessary. Right now, that isn't an option.

Those are some solid numbers with the hybrids Chin but if you can hit those to those numbers no reason you can't hit a damn driver. Head Games I get it but c'mon. What's the issue duck hooks, pushes what? With the drivers and adjustments it's hard not to find one that works a little at least.

Reaction Score
Over priced unless you get a deal. And they think they're Shoal Creek with their rough, ridiculous unless they've changed this year. Plenty of courses around which are priced more in line with the product.

Ha good to know. I'm playing in a charity scramble there in 2 weeks so I'm ready to feel the pain I guess.

Reaction Score

So you're telling me to upgrade from the Ping Eye 2 woods - I think I acquired them from an old teammate around 1990

Reaction Score

Just bought the M2 and brought it to my round Thursday at Tradition in Wallingford, peeled off the plastic on the 1st tee. Had been going back and forth with the old R11S and the AeroBurner for the first few months of this year without being all that happy. Heard I wouldn't like the sound or feel of that new compound but 1st tee was real nice and it didn't let me down minus a couple bad swings. Think I have something to work with and love the forgiveness to boot. $299 at most places it's a good deal now, if you want to wait it out they will drop soon I believe. I almost went with the M1 after reading but while standing at Golfers Warehouse I brought up the Mark Crossfield videos on the M2 (here's one ) and comparisons of both clubs and he basically said if you're one of those players who looks into the details really hard (rate spin speed etc etc) then the M1 is for you but the reality is for $100 less the M2 performs just as well for the average amatuer golfer looking for game improvement. If you want to see test on any club this guy is excellent just throw the club(s) name and Mark Crossfield YouTube in google and you'll get some good ideas.

Reaction Score
Ha good to know. I'm playing in a charity scramble there in 2 weeks so I'm ready to feel the pain I guess.

Always better when you can move it around in a scramble - you playing the Jones or Player?

Reaction Score
Everything is overpriced.

Reaction Score
Everything is overpriced.

Crazy huh 68? Admittedly up here in WesMass we have some decent courses at better value but I like the CT courses but it's nuts. And the internet deals are less and less sucks. I mean Blackledge getting 64 on weekends? I mean I will go to Fairview Farms all day at 67 if I'm comparing it to this kind of course at that price...ridiculous.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom