OT: Going Car Buying | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Going Car Buying

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
MINOR THREAD HIJACK...

I may end up with a new car this spring that does not come with a CD player. I know, wha'? Figuring technology has a solution for everything is there an external CD player that hooks into the MP3's USB port?

Yes it's called a Sony Discman that hooks into the 3.5mm Aux port. :D

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Ford Taurus LTD. is a good choice to consider. I'd consider purchasing a car that is 1 year old and certified with less than 15-20K miles. Previous owner eats the biggest depreciation and with pre owned certification you actually get a better warranty.

My wife LOVED her Ford Taurus X... I didn't mind it either... until I got stranded for 3 days because it blew a head gasket with just over 100k miles on the engine. I'm very good about preventative maintenance as well. I won't buy another Ford. She now has a Toyota 4Runner Ltd. (Which is why I have a Hyundai Sonata...)

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Volvo S60/S80
Lincoln MKZ

I'd go with the Volvo. It checks all your boxes.

I really liked my S60, but the back seat is very small.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with Impala. Nice car. I would want a fully loaded model- leather, heated seats, memory seats, V6 engine, etc. For an Impala that starts getting pricey for the options, gas mileage gets suspect and I think there are better options for me at that price range.

Supposedly the 2016 Malibu's are very good. A complete remake from last series and they're supposed to be able to go head to head with Camry and Accord.
I have a 2012 Malibu, and I still love it. It was a pleasant surprise when I test drove it. Actual mileage is 33 highway (just checked it recently) and @ 24 local. FWIW, I'd take a look at the new one, it is inexpensive (apparently) and pretty tech'd up. It may end up being a little small for you though, if you are really looking for a boat.

May want to consider the A6 as well but it is far pricier to maintain.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Have you considered a 1984 sheepdog? It seems to check all the boxes.

attachment.php

Reaction Score
I'm a car guy and have owned a Lexus GS430, BMW 650ci, Infiniti G37xs, and my newest car Audi S4. First I'm sure the Hyundai is a nice car but it's no Lexus! As you can see I like sporty cars and I think the Audi S4 is the best and of course the fastest at 0-60 in 4.5 sec. However many of these cars use premium surely the S4 w supercharger. But it gets about 24 mpg mixed and 27 highway which isn't too bad. Maybe not for you but for guys who like ultimate driving machines the S4 is hard to beat at $60K. Seats 5 comfortably too.

Im about to choose a new Audi and Im deciding between the A6, S4 and Q7. I drive an hour, highway, everyday to and from work and I like to drive. I greatly prefer standard. What do you think?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Have you considered a 1984 sheepdog? It seems to check all the boxes.

attachment.php

Doesn't get as many miles to the gallon as this hog:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/29/cb//29cbaf5c1220aeb04cfeab36d553fd65.jpg

Reaction Score

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Just having fun. That being said, I love my Swagger Wagon. Someone once told me that once you turn 40 you become sexually irrelevant. I need all the help I can get then....

Hahahha That person was clearly ball and chained plus kids. Nothing to do with age; Everything to do with cognitive dissonance.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I really liked my S60, but the back seat is very small.

They are bigger now, especially the S80. But not bigger than my crew cab pick up.

Chin really wants a crew cab pickup, but is a granola crunching hippie boy looking for "gas mileage" I commute 125 miles a day and when I drive myself I take the truck. In fact, when I don't drive myself, we take someone else's truck. The other cars stay home unless the wife is driving somewhere.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
They are bigger now, especially the S80. But not bigger than my crew cab pick up.

Chin really wants a crew cab pickup, but is a granola crunching hippie boy looking for "gas mileage" I commute 125 miles a day and when I drive myself I take the truck. In fact, when I don't drive myself, we take someone else's truck. The other cars stay home unless the wife is driving somewhere.

You ain't lying. A Ram 1500 Double Cab with a 3.0L Diesel is what I want. But a man has to make choices with his toys. I'd rather drive the gas sipper during the week to enjoy the boat on the weekend.

2014-ram-1500-ecodiesel-mt-homepage.jpg

Reaction Score
I wish I could understand the new car want. There is maybe one new car that is remotely appealing to me, I guess I'm stuck in love with old iron.

I'm lining up a low mileage mid-90's Ford crew cab long bed (4wd) with a 7.3 diesel in it.

Don't have to deal with the modern diesel rubbish like adding urea, cycling, etc Modern diesels are a pain in the ass and they are creeping close to a questionable payoff based on incremental price charged for a diesel, higher fuel cost, higher maintenance cost, etc. I don't get the new diesel buyers unless it's part of how you make a living, then I get it, but would still opt for an older version of any of the big 3's diesels.

I say this knowing that I'm a strong believer in buy what you like who cares if there's a real use for it or any rational thought around it - so good luck Chin.

It's why I have 5 mid-70's Toyota FJ-40's and 45's that I routinely drive for 4 hour one way trips - they are uncomfortable, noisy, slow and horrible gas mileage, but they are fun as all get out - the 01 E38 with the V12 is so amazing that I fear what I'll do if I ever have the need to get rid of it I'm not sure what I'll do - I find myself going back in time now to early 90's W126 Mercedes - Drives my wife nuts as she keeps saying to me why the hell do we need 9 vehicles.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It's why I have 5 mid-70's Toyota FJ-40's and 45's that I routinely drive for 4 hour one way trips - they are uncomfortable, noisy, slow and horrible gas mileage, but they are fun as all get out - the 01 E38 with the V12 is so amazing that I fear what I'll do if I ever have the need to get rid of it I'm not sure what I'll do - I find myself going back in time now to early 90's W126 Mercedes - Drives my wife nuts as she keeps saying to me why the hell do we need 9 vehicles.

Yeah, but those are frickin awesome and nobody makes anything like it these days. So of course you don't understand the fascination w new cars. The rehash FJ Cruiser is a practical joke.

I would like to have a late 70s Jeep CJ-7 as a second car, but lifestyle doesn't allow it at the moment.

Reaction Score
The 40/45's everyone loves them, people routinely hammer the BMW's - maintenance this and maintenance that, but they've been less needy that many other cars I've had (new cars and much more recent model years) - stuff's mechanical it's going to break it's part of it - get a good indy or know how to wrench.

I often times think I should be more practical, but I'm too old to change. Driving in the Adirondacks at night in a mix of snow/freezing rain and fog and the wipers on the FJ40 go out is no fun - but I will tell you that I was FULLY involved in the driving experience for that 75 minutes until I got where I had to go and drove like hell to get off the Tug before the big storm came the next day. If I wasn't hosting a coaches party that evening I likely would have called AAA or something., but you got to make the parties you plan.

One of the 40's - sorry to hijack - I think those era jeeps are attainable and fun.

fj40.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Get a bimmer. You can always take it to track when you get bored.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Get a bimmer. You can always take it to track when you get bored.
Was actually thinking about buying a used 335i N54 coupe.

Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with Impala. Nice car. I would want a fully loaded model- leather, heated seats, memory seats, V6 engine, etc. For an Impala that starts getting pricey for the options, gas mileage gets suspect and I think there are better options for me at that price range.

Supposedly the 2016 Malibu's are very good. A complete remake from last series and they're supposed to be able to go head to head with Camry and Accord.

I've been looking at 2014-2015's and the top end LZ (aka LTZ) are going for $25k-$29K with no more than 20,000 miles on them. The one negative, although not for me, is that it is not available as an AWD.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Here's the difference between us and them...we spend hours a day in the car and they don't.

If you spend a lot of time in a car, the idea of a large, comfortable sedan is a heck of a lot more appealing.

I've been shopping for a car for about six months and I periodically get advice from a poster I won't name (it's jleves) - he provides me with an endless stream of wee little cars on 50-series tires that would knock my molars out on a daily basis. His commute is 900 yards over glass-like asphalt - he just doesn't know any better.

In short, you need something as close to this as possible....

http://a1.dealerimages.dealereprocess.com/images/c_fit,duckauto,fl_lossy,w_640/v1/dvp/125/238503202/Used-2010-Cadillac-DTS-w1SE-ID238503202

For the record my first advice was a BMW 5 series diesel. Anyone spending hours in the car would be pampered by such. The second was a Mercedes GLE. Hardly a wee car on bitty tires and again would pamper you for hours a day. Fishy wants a 1970s Caddy with a boat like ride, couches for the front and rear seats, but it has to get 47MPG.... Good luck!

Reaction Score
Audi S4.jpg
Was actually thinking about buying a used 335i N54 coupe.

Was looking at a BMW 335i but after research the Audi S4 is faster, better looking (my opinion) and more reliable. Look on youtube or google it. Both cars have underreported HP/Torque for insurance purposes-the S4 reports 333 hp/ 325 ft lb but read in several articles its closer to 400 for both! All I know is with launch control and dual clutch 7 speed auto with sport differential (and titanium paddle shifters) 0-60 reported times of 4.5 sec is real. Now top speed of 155 (limited) is here-say (LOL), but some guys have verified that on youtube. With drive select you can control mode of steering, suspension, engine and transmission thru several ranges-of course I use dynamic for all of mine. Mine is black with silver/black Napa leather seats, carbon fiber inlays, supercharger badging and 19" sport wheels/tires.

Reaction Score
Im about to choose a new Audi and Im deciding between the A6, S4 and Q7. I drive an hour, highway, everyday to and from work and I like to drive. I greatly prefer standard. What do you think?
See my post below-if you like driving a sport car go S4.

Reaction Score
If you're going to look for performance find a well cared or E63 AMG, M5 and if you want a domestic go for a CTS-V with 50-60k or so on the clock.

While I'm not fond of the look of the CTS-V I actually considered one a year or so ago because they are pretty amazing.

Reaction Score
VW TDI engine is rated for a million miles and barely used ones are about to be dirt cheap when owners sell them out of spite.

I have a sportwagen TSI gas and its great. Get any TDI for cheap soon.

Reaction Score
You just crushed his world.

In fairness, an S4 doesn't look much like a Jetta. They gave me one to drive at the dealership when I dropped my car off for the 5k checkup a week or so ago. Fun to drive, but a bit small for my taste. (That's what she said.)

I'm easy when it comes to cars (and living in the land of perpetual sunshine helps). My criteria are basically: do I like the way it looks, is it fun to drive, can I give a client a lift without looking like a bum (it's the nature of the beast) and do I never have to worry about maintenance. Check those boxes and I'm happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom