OT: Going Car Buying | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Going Car Buying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm going to look at a Genesis tonight. The local Hyundai dealer just got in a certified pre-owned over the weekend.

I'm currently driving a 2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring that has 140k miles on it. I thinks it's a 1.8 or 2.0 4-cyl, gets 30 mpg and has been free of any mechanical issues. But it sucks. I bought it a few years ago after I got rear-ended in my Honda CR-V and it was totaled. I was on a tight timeline and needed something fast. I'm beyond that crap now. I'm approaching black socks with sandals age and posting signs on my lawn warning kids to stay off the grass. I want big and comfy.

I agree with you...I've never owned a regular Hyundai..I think they are making a mistake by selling them through the same dealership with the same name.

Genesis is intended to compete with the E class/5 Series/Lexus/ and IMO it does. I went from the Inifiti M to the Genesis and was happy. I also had the 8 cyl engine...so that helped performance...but I saved 250/month over the 5 Series lease so I didn't mind paying a little extra for gas. Also, I'm 6'3 and the Genesis had plenty of room...the cooled seats where a nice bonus in the summer.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The Toyota Avalon is a beautiful car. I do business with a Toyota/Chrysler Jeep dealership. They do not sell very many Avalons. However, it is a gorgeous car. Depending on which one you look at, they are normally equipped like a Mercedes or other high end car. Probably the style of the car doesn't attract people. Don't know.
Anyway good luck.
I was looking for a good used car in the same category. A loaded Avalon (Limited) is basically a Lexus ES with a little more room in the back seats. I ended up with an ES just because there are a lot more of them out there to choose from.

I test drove a 2014 Avalon XLE (Base Model) on Saturday. Only has 7500 miles. Car looked pristine inside and out. Everything under the hood looked perfect. All electrical connectors, hoses, clamps, etc. were very good. Even the base model has leather seats, dual climate controls, rear climate controls, power passenger seat and a bunch of other options. If I don't see anything else this week, I may be in it by the weekend.

Reaction Score
I test drove a 2014 Avalon XLE (Base Model) on Saturday. Only has 7500 miles. Car looked pristine inside and out. Everything under the hood looked perfect. All electrical connectors, hoses, clamps, etc. were very good. Even the base model has leather seats, dual climate controls, rear climate controls, power passenger seat and a bunch of other options. If I don't see anything else this week, I may be in it by the weekend.

Just for the hell of it drive a Ford Taurus Limited with the works. I think you would be pleasantly surprised of the ride and the interior is great as well as trunk space galore. Heated/Air conditioned seats, back up camera on the dash screen - all the goodies - not a foreign car mind you but for the price a solid one.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Just for the hell of it drive a Ford Taurus Limited with the works. I think you would be pleasantly surprised of the ride and the interior is great as well as trunk space galore. Heated/Air conditioned seats, back up camera on the dash screen - all the goodies - not a foreign car mind you but for the price a solid one.
My partner has the loaded SHO and loves it. I have the same engine (EcoBoost twin turbo) in my Explorer Sport and couldn't be happier. Both great cars imo. Really comfortable, too.

Reaction Score
Go with the new model Hyundai Genesis, they are REALLY nice. I think you will likely find one of the current model type.

BTW, Hyundai is creating a separate Genesis division that will sell a variety of models and will have their own dealerships in order to compete with Lexus, MB, BMW , Cadillac on a level playing field. This news came out 1-2 months ago. They are developing several new models including a new and re-named Equus, new Genesis sedan, etc. Exciting as they make a nice and more economically priced luxury car than some of the others.

Again, go with the Genesis for looks, size, fuel efficiency, comfort, and price.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
If my mate had walked in while I was reading this thread, I'd have answered, "Nothing.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Get a Swagger Wagon (Toyota Sienna). I never thought I would own a mini wagon but now I own the roads. Gas mileage might not hold up to your standards but this vehicle is legit! Don't laugh cause I'm serious. Redesigned in 2011 with a sleek new look and I believe they put a Lexus motor in it so it can move. Tons of cool features and super comfortable. There isn't a road trip I can't handle. Trust me on this one.

Absolutely loved the fact you talked yourself into the cool-factor of a mini van. Heroic effort.

The best part is that 'Swagger Wagon' is actually Toyota's branding for this vehicle. Appealing to desperate neutered dads everywhere.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
MINOR THREAD HIJACK...

I may end up with a new car this spring that does not come with a CD player. I know, wha'? Figuring technology has a solution for everything is there an external CD player that hooks into the MP3's USB port?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
OP - I want a large, lightly-used family car

Response - Buy a $60,000 car with a super charger that seats five people if three of them are zygotes.

I always wonder if someone thinks they're going to get a definitive answer to such questions here. And if a definitive answer was to be found, how would it be rolled out to the offline characters in the drama?

"Sweetheart, it says here that this guy named "Fishy" thinks we oughta go with the Buick Landsucker. He's got a lot of likes, so I think we should go with it."

Any way, a group of people who willingly spend four days arguing the merits of ketchup should not be expected to morph into Consumer Reports when the stakes get higher. I feel like you should go test drive a bunch of cars and then take the best one out to buy pizza, beer and condiments. We're solid gold on those recommendations.

We do pretty good work on things like lawn hoses, gutters, and the like as well.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
True story. It's 3:30am central time and I was sleeping like crap. I'm typing away on cell phone while sitting on ledge of bath tub. Mrs. Chin wakes up to do her business, looks at me and says "What are you doing?". Rather than explain that I was responding to anonymous car buying advice on a UConn message board at 3:30, I just said " nothing".

In her head: "He's looking at . be a little more discrete."

Reaction Score
I'm a car guy and have owned a Lexus GS430, BMW 650ci, Infiniti G37xs, and my newest car Audi S4. First I'm sure the Hyundai is a nice car but it's no Lexus! As you can see I like sporty cars and I think the Audi S4 is the best and of course the fastest at 0-60 in 4.5 sec. However many of these cars use premium surely the S4 w supercharger. But it gets about 24 mpg mixed and 27 highway which isn't too bad. Maybe not for you but for guys who like ultimate driving machines the S4 is hard to beat at $60K. Seats 5 comfortably too.
Wrong, as a car guy you should know better. I've driven both and the Genesis is far superior to the Lexus, it's just a better car in every way and then when you factor in the lower sticker price and the much better warranty package you realize what a no-brainer it is. If you don't plan on driving the two to compare just look at every online review, the Genesis always beats the Lexus. Out of the cars listed it should be the pick for Chin, it's big and comfortable and has all the bells and whistles you would want if you're in the car all day.

Reaction Score
Ford Taurus LTD. is a good choice to consider. I'd consider purchasing a car that is 1 year old and certified with less than 15-20K miles. Previous owner eats the biggest depreciation and with pre owned certification you actually get a better warranty.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'm going to look at a Genesis tonight. The local Hyundai dealer just got in a certified pre-owned over the weekend.

I'm currently driving a 2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring that has 140k miles on it. I thinks it's a 1.8 or 2.0 4-cyl, gets 30 mpg and has been free of any mechanical issues. But it sucks. I bought it a few years ago after I got rear-ended in my Honda CR-V and it was totaled. I was on a tight timeline and needed something fast. I'm beyond that crap now. I'm approaching black socks with sandals age and posting signs on my lawn warning kids to stay off the grass. I want big and comfy.

Just a note, Hyundai has made massive strides in the past few years. So you'll likely see the difference right off the bat.

My one gripe with Hyundai is that they don't seem to be very good in the snow. Not a problem for you.

Reaction Score
My partner has the loaded SHO and loves it. I have the same engine (EcoBoost twin turbo) in my Explorer Sport and couldn't be happier. Both great cars imo. Really comfortable, too.

My company car choices unfortunately over the years have been Ford and uhhh Fors since the 90's as they get a nice deal for the whole country. While I was not a Ford fan ever (dad worked at NDH in /Meriden/Sandusky OHBristol a GM company for 48 year the last few since around the changes, 2010 or so? have been light years ahead of the past for me at least. Every 2 years I get another and the Limited has been a great car for me by the far the best Ford has offered, at least since this lastest body and engine change. Super highway car and really comfortable. I've had a Taurus for over 25 years now and I have a new Edge coming in any day now, first change in a while, with the ECO boost looking forward to an SUV I guess we'll see.

try it Chin you will be surprised. The Limited has more and the list isn't too bad.

Reaction Score
Was referring to. Roadmaster and Delta88. Had a v6 LeSabre, nice ride, not great mileage.

Delta 88 WOW dad had a late 70's/early 80's with like a 450 in it, sounded like a gear head car but was a family car lol

intlzncster

Reaction Score
MINOR THREAD HIJACK...

I may end up with a new car this spring that does not come with a CD player. I know, wha'? Figuring technology has a solution for everything is there an external CD player that hooks into the MP3's USB port?

CD player? Might as well have an 8 track.

Reaction Score
I'm currently driving a 2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring that has 140k miles on it. I thinks it's a 1.8 or 2.0 4-cyl, gets 30 mpg and has been free of any mechanical issues. But it sucks. I bought it a few years ago after I got rear-ended in my Honda CR-V and it was totaled. I was on a tight timeline and needed something fast. I'm beyond that crap now. I'm approaching black socks with sandals age and posting signs on my lawn warning kids to stay off the grass. I want big and comfy.[/QUOTE]
My buddy was a BMW 540 guy and switched to the Hyundai Genesis. He got a new Gensis with all the bells and whistles and saved himself about $30,000 had he gotten the BMW. He says he honestly likes the Genesis more without even factoring in the huge price discrepancy and the better warranty package. I drove it on a road trip with him, extremely smooth and comfortable on the highway, great car.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Round #1234 of this topic.

Requirement: Large sedan, bigger the better. I spend almost 3 hours a day in car and drive about 130 miles a day. Gas mileage of 26-28mpg minimum. Regular gas preferred.

Looking at Certified Pre Owned vehicles in the 2013-2015 year range. I put almost 35k a year on a car and I don't need to eat up first 40% of depreciation.

"It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas...(It's a 1974 too, so you don't have to worry about depreciation)."

The only criteria it doesn't meet is late model certified (though certainly pre-owned), and you have to fix the cigarette lighter.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
My buddy was a BMW 540 guy and switched to the Hyundai Genesis. He got a new Gensis with all the bells and whistles and saved himself about $30,000 had he gotten the BMW. He says he honestly likes the Genesis more without even factoring in the huge price discrepancy and the better warranty package. I drove it on a road trip with him, extremely smooth and comfortable on the highway, great car.

In case you missed it, superjohn is voting for the Hyundai Genesis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom