OT: Giants | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Giants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Minus the obvious big boo boo helmet to helmet, how many did they miss on Norman? The first one was him not Beckham remember a tackle and throw to the ground. Lets' not make this all one way there plenty of others with both and some of you are looking at Norman as some good guy, he's more of a clown than Beckham ever was.

They were both equally as bad early on, then the refs went to both coaches to tell them to knock it off and Norman backed off. Beckham didn't. One drive, he was throwing punches at whatever corner was covering him on after every play. Aikman even noted that Beckham, at one point, had completely stopped running routes and was just going straight at whatever corner was covering him. From that point on, there's no comparing who was worse. Norman was no angel, but after the early shenanigans from him he backed off.

Reaction Score
Both Beckham and Norman had strange post-game interviews. Put the personal rivalries aside and think about your team (especially Beckham - he should have been thrown out, especially after the targeting play).

Reaction Score
They were both equally as bad early on, then the refs went to both coaches to tell them to knock it off and Norman backed off. Beckham didn't. One drive, he was throwing punches at whatever corner was covering him on after every play. Aikman even noted that Beckham, at one point, had completely stopped running routes and was just going straight at whatever corner was covering him. From that point on, there's no comparing who was worse. Norman was no angel, but after the early shenanigans from him he backed off.

He hardly backed off, Beckham was more of the aggressor and looked more foolish but the shenanigans continued from both. Finnegan also instigated on another play. Again making a guy who admitted to gouging eyes in piles and fought with his own QB, an angel is a joke because the other was more aggressive. The fact is they both should have been flagged multiple times and both thrown out. The DB's came out in warm ups with bats in their hands, that would make them really funny guys huh? It was in the game plan, it worked but it was done by a thug and his friends. Beckham's retaliation only proved how immature he is not how bad a guy he is.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
He hardly backed off, Beckham was more of the aggressor and looked more foolish but the shenanigans continued from both. Finnegan also instigated on another play. Again making a guy who admitted to gouging eyes in piles and fought with his own QB, an angel is a joke because the other was more aggressive. The fact is they both should have been flagged multiple times and both thrown out. The DB's came out in warm ups with bats in their hands, that would make them really funny guys huh? It was in the game plan, it worked but it was done by a thug and his friends. Beckham's retaliation only proved how immature he is not how bad a guy he is.

Norman backed off, but Beckham kept punching him in the head after EVERY SINGLE PLAY. He started giving it back to Beckham, but he was clearly trying to back off. Of course he was an instigator, DBs try to get in wide receivers' heads in every game. And Norman is no saint, but to paint Norman as a thug and Beckham as just immature is really biased of you mau. Beckham was 100 times worse than Norman on Sunday, and some Giants fans are the only ones that think it's close.

Reaction Score
Norman backed off, but Beckham kept punching him in the head after EVERY SINGLE PLAY. He started giving it back to Beckham, but he was clearly trying to back off. Of course he was an instigator, DBs try to get in wide receivers' heads in every game. And Norman is no saint, but to paint Norman as a thug and Beckham as just immature is really biased of you mau. Beckham was 100 times worse than Norman on Sunday, and some Giants fans are the only ones that think it's close.

Ok I'm wrong you were there and have it figured out. And previous eye gouging and fighting with your own QB is all normal stuff so Norman is actually a really good dude :rolleyes:

Stick to being UConn fans Rico this is going nowhere fast. One Ginats bias the other hates the Giants obviously so no one wins right?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Ok I'm wrong you were there and have it figured out. And previous eye gouging and fighting with your own QB is all normal stuff so Norman is actually a really good dude :rolleyes:

Stick to being UConn fans Rico this is going nowhere fast. One Ginats bias the other hates the Giants obviously so no one wins right?

...except fans for the other 29 teams are saying Beckham is way in the wrong here, and was much worse than Norman the other day. So if you want to think every other fan base has it out for the Giants, feel free.

Reaction Score
not everybody hates the giants. the only people defending beckham are giants fans... its scary to see how much bias can affect humans in these types of instances

Reaction Score
not everybody hates the giants. the only people defending beckham are giants fans... its scary to see how much bias can affect humans in these types of instances

I think 99% of Giants fans said he should have been ejected and suspended.

Reaction Score
He is the worst of the 2 but stop with Norman being a good guy here. No one has said anything else even Giants fans, Beckham was an immature idiot and the worst of the 2. But to take the other guy out of the equation like you want to is beyond ridiculous.

Reaction Score

Wrong. zyron got it right. There's bias on one hand and then there's people who read what they want to read. ;)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Giants fan here. Beckham should have been ejected after the spearing head shot, period. He was unhinged and that was stupid, primarily because it was so obvious. If he was ejected like he should have been, this would be a non-issue now because it would have been dealt with already. No hearing, no appeal, no nothing. And he'd be playing this week, which would obviously be much better for the league.

I think most of the blame lies with the refs for failing to get it under control before it spiraled, and certainly for failing to eject him after that shot. Norman and Carolina were unquestionably the aggressors though, and Norman should have been called in the first quarter when he first started his crap (not to mention the pregame thug bat routine). Once the refs let all that stuff go, it became the wild west out there, with each of them testing the limits.

Spare me the "dangerous" talk, though, or any sympathy for Norman, who would have deserved whatever he got for taunting like he did. It's a brutal sport where the goal is to hit and punish the other guy, and many, many guys are cheap shot artists trying their damnedest to hurt the other guy. Just look at any of the plays between the two and you could see that they were both trying to get away with whatever they could. Norman pulled at Beckham's leg just like Beckham did to him, but Beckham got called because he got caught. Even on the play where Beckham speared Norman, just before Beckham circled back to hunt down Norman, Norman gave him a punch to the head. You keep poking the bear, don't cry when the bear mauls you.

No question Carolina won the battle, and that's the most disappointing thing to me as a fan. The rest is just window dressing for a sport trying to deal with the irreconcilable conflict between the culture it has created and the health of its players.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Spare me the "dangerous" talk, though, or any sympathy for Norman, who would have deserved whatever he got for taunting like he did. It's a brutal sport where the goal is to hit and punish the other guy, and many, many guys are cheap shot artists trying their damnedest to hurt the other guy. Just look at any of the plays between the two and you could see that they were both trying to get away with whatever they could. Norman pulled at Beckham's leg just like Beckham did to him, but Beckham got called because he got caught. Even on the play where Beckham speared Norman, just before Beckham circled back to hunt down Norman, Norman gave him a punch to the head. You keep poking the bear, don't cry when the bear mauls you.

But it was dangerous. A head shot, as we've been made aware of in recent years, is probably the worst thing you can do in football. You're rolling the dice with someone's life there (whether it's now, in the future, or something like a neck issue or whatever).

As much as every fan in the country would say otherwise (because they care about wins and losses over anything else), deliberately taking a QB out at the knees, resulting in a season ending knee injury, is not as egregious as an blind, unimpeded shot to the side of the head. One is life or mental health threatening, the other is not.

And in sports, you still don't get to 'maul' people because they take a shot at you. It's not eye for an eye out there. I don't really care about Norman either way in this particular instance.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
But it was dangerous. A head shot, as we've been made aware of in recent years, is probably the worst thing you can do in football. You're rolling the dice with someone's life there (whether it's now, in the future, or something like a neck issue or whatever).

As much as every fan in the country would say otherwise (because they care about wins and losses over anything else), deliberately taking a QB out at the knees, resulting in a season ending knee injury, is not as egregious as an blind, unimpeded shot to the side of the head. One is life or mental health threatening, the other is not.

And in sports, you still don't get to 'maul' people because they take a shot at you. It's not eye for an eye out there. I don't really care about Norman either way in this particular instance.
I think this is a ridiculous distinction, and it's perfectly indicative of the absurdity of trying to draw the line among dirty plays that are all intended to seriously hurt someone.

Funny you mention the eyes. Norman has expressly, brazenly admitted to intentionally gouging another player's eyes with a purpose to seriously injure him. Where is that on your scale? Better than concussing the brain, but worse than breaking a leg? Addressable by breaking a bone as reciprocity? A big bone? But not one above the ribs? Personally, I'd prefer a mild concussion to an eye gouge. Should my standard apply, or yours?

It's a dangerous sport. Nonetheless, it's pretty easy to tell when someone is making a football play, versus trying to injure someone seriously. The latter should be dealt with swiftly and consistently, irrespective of the body part.

Reaction Score
zyron said:
I think 99% of Giants fans said he should have been ejected and suspended.

Agree here. Most Giant fans I know think the suspension was warranted and are ticked at OBJ.

Reaction Score
As a Giants fan, I don't take issue with the suspension. It was warranted. I also would have understood if he was tossed after the last personal foul.

What I do take issue with is the media blowing this light-years out of proportion, turning it into a case of moral outrage, and absolving Norman and the Panthers of any wrongdoing.

In Beckham, we have a young, electrifying player, who other teams have been targeting. The Rams did it last year. Other teams have done it this year. Clearly, it was Carolina's strategy on Sunday to cross a line and instigate with him. The over-the-top pregame threats, the illegal physicality -- which was initiated by Norman, by the way. But none of that is discussed. The narrative is "Beckham is a selfish player who can't control himself and is an embarrassment to [the Giants/New York/the NFL/humanity]". It started with Buck and Aikman (two guys whose distaste for the Giants has been documented) and was parroted by talking heads on ESPN and beyond.

It's ridiculous. Beckham was provoked into a fight on the field. He's been punished. He's not a horrible person. That's the end of it.

Reaction Score
What is worse, OBJ head hunting or Aaron Hernandez's extracurricular activities during lunch break?

Reaction Score
As a Giants fan, I don't take issue with the suspension. It was warranted. I also would have understood if he was tossed after the last personal foul.

What I do take issue with is the media blowing this light-years out of proportion, turning it into a case of moral outrage, and absolving Norman and the Panthers of any wrongdoing.

In Beckham, we have a young, electrifying player, who other teams have been targeting. The Rams did it last year. Other teams have done it this year. Clearly, it was Carolina's strategy on Sunday to cross a line and instigate with him. The over-the-top pregame threats, the illegal physicality -- which was initiated by Norman, by the way. But none of that is discussed. The narrative is "Beckham is a selfish player who can't control himself and is an embarrassment to [the Giants/New York/the NFL/humanity]". It started with Buck and Aikman (two guys whose distaste for the Giants has been documented) and was parroted by talking heads on ESPN and beyond.

It's ridiculous. Beckham was provoked into a fight on the field. He's been punished. He's not a horrible person. That's the end of it.

No huh? I mean Troy Aikman who I usually respect was pitiful with his words and continuous slam on OBJ. He was embarrassed for everyone - NFL, viewers, fans blah blah blah. It certainly deserved much of it but the over the top narrative by troy (less with Buck actually who I despise) was embarrassing in itself.

Reaction Score

Lost in all this is how horrible the Giants defense is.

Reaction Score
Pretty much spot on Scoe. Every time they've been given a lead or a chance to help them get to OT with 2 minutes or less left they have failed, every time. Not necessarily on Spags because he hasn't had the same DLine, LBers, DB's in the line up week to week but eventually they are all pro's right so do your job.

Reaction Score
Pretty much spot on Scoe. Every time they've been given a lead or a chance to help them get to OT with 2 minutes or less left they have failed, every time. Not necessarily on Spags because he hasn't had the same DLine, LBers, DB's in the line up week to week but eventually they are all pro's right so do your job.

Yeah theres only so much Spags can do he is working with practice squad guys on defense that falls on Jerry Reese. The ending of the Panthers game was similar to the ending of the Pats game defense has a chance to get themselves off the field and can't make the play, not to mention has opportunities and a turnover and can't take advantage such as the Collins droped pick vs Brady, and the DRC dropped pick vs Newton. The pass rush is just a one handed JPP. Its time to draft impact linebackers and DE's pronto. Enough is a enough for a franchise that has a rich history of drafting linebackers they have chosen to totally ignore that position, stop trying to act like a genius and rely on projects or has been linebackers and get that impact pass rusher they are always around in the draft.

Reaction Score
Yeah theres only so much Spags can do he is working with practice squad guys on defense that falls on Jerry Reese. The ending of the Panthers game was similar to the ending of the Pats game defense has a chance to get themselves off the field and can't make the play, not to mention has opportunities and a turnover and can't take advantage such as the Collins droped pick vs Brady, and the DRC dropped pick vs Newton. The pass rush is just a one handed JPP. Its time to draft impact linebackers and DE's pronto. Enough is a enough for a franchise that has a rich history of drafting linebackers they have chosen to totally ignore that position, stop trying to act like a genius and rely on projects or has been linebackers and get that impact pass rusher they are always around in the draft.

Kenner can't stay healthy nor can JT Thomas, both whom have potential. Brinkley is just a back up as is everyone else including Herzberg and the elder Beason who can't ever stay on the field now. Cassilas and Knuga (lol forget his name) are what they are, decent back ups at best. It's been a while and this falls on Reese I agree.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think this is a ridiculous distinction, and it's perfectly indicative of the absurdity of trying to draw the line among dirty plays that are all intended to seriously hurt someone.

Funny you mention the eyes. Norman has expressly, brazenly admitted to intentionally gouging another player's eyes with a purpose to seriously injure him. Where is that on your scale? Better than concussing the brain, but worse than breaking a leg? Addressable by breaking a bone as reciprocity? A big bone? But not one above the ribs? Personally, I'd prefer a mild concussion to an eye gouge. Should my standard apply, or yours?

It's a dangerous sport. Nonetheless, it's pretty easy to tell when someone is making a football play, versus trying to injure someone seriously. The latter should be dealt with swiftly and consistently, irrespective of the body part.

Huh, where did I mention the eyes? I said nothing about that in my post.

I make the distinction as anything that can result in serious off the field repercussions, eg impaired cognitive function or paralysis. Have you not paid attention to the CTE issue out there today? It's the single biggest health related issue in professional sports, particularly in football. There are billion dollar lawsuits involved.

What Beckham did can result in a minor concussion yes, but it can be far worse than that, all the way to death even--obviously very rare (hemorrhage or broken neck). But that is why I said you are rolling the dice, because you just don't know. No knee injury results in that.

Can you predict w any certaincy what will happen when someone gets hit in the head? Because I cannot. They've changed the rules of the game because it is such a huge and important issue. But it doesn't apparently seem to be a big deal to you.

Beckham's transgression was compounded because he blindsided Norman, who therefore was unable to brace himself or prepare for contact. Completely helpless. Additionally, it was to the side of his head, on his temple, the most vulnerable part of the head when it comes to injury,

Again, what he did not REMOTELY 'part of the game' or because 'football is a violent sport'. That's a ridiculous and ignorant excuse with this particular situation. Mind boggling that you think it is.

Edit: and I don't care about the personal fouls, what either did before or after, nor do I think Beckham is 'evil' or what have you. But minimizing a blindside cheap shot to the head is BS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky