OT: Giants | Page 36 | The Boneyard

OT: Giants

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It’s interesting to me that you guys are most angry over Eli. I’m not a giants fan, but to me the dumbest thing they’ve done is give a truck load of money to OBJ. Guy is the textbook definition of a cancer, and everyone knows that elite WRs don’t make teams good to begin with. Saquon is an amazing talent, but that’s a strange move too. They so desperately needed OL help or a QB. Sure, they probably got the best talent in the draft, but they needed to focus on the foundation first IMO.

I don't have it in me to be mad at Eli. I still think he could be average in the right situation as delusional as that may sound to some.

With that said, what is he supposed to do? Get younger? It's the Ownership and GM that deserve all the blame.

Reaction Score
I cant blame the Giants for passing on Darnold and Rosen, Barkley was the right pick over them there were alot of questions about those 2 qbs, if Mayfield were available that would've been the right guy at qb.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
It’s interesting to me that you guys are most angry over Eli. I’m not a giants fan, but to me the dumbest thing they’ve done is give a truck load of money to OBJ. Guy is the textbook definition of a cancer, and everyone knows that elite WRs don’t make teams good to begin with. Saquon is an amazing talent, but that’s a strange move too. They so desperately needed OL help or a QB. Sure, they probably got the best talent in the draft, but they needed to focus on the foundation first IMO.

We are frustrated with Eli because i) he is the oldest guy on the field and ii) if you were to list all the QBs in order from best to worst over the past three years, where would Eli be? - probably around 23th to 27th and this year, probably bottom 5.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I cant blame the Giants for passing on Darnold and Rosen, Barkley was the right pick over them there were alot of questions about those 2 qbs, if Mayfield were available that would've been the right guy at qb.

If they were so dead set on Barkley, and so dead set on those QBs not being "the guy", the only way you draft Barkley is if you trade down and pick him somewhere else in the top 8 and acquire further draft capital.

It was an egregious waste of resources.

Reaction Score
If they were so dead set on Barkley, and so dead set on those QBs not being "the guy", the only way you draft Barkley is if you trade down and pick him somewhere else in the top 8 and acquire further draft capital.

It was an egregious waste of resources.

I didnt mention that I was ok with trading down that was what I wanted was to trade down, sooner or later gotta get a qb though, gotta have Laudette start some games to see if he is or if hes not the next guy to take over for Eli.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
We are frustrated with Eli because i) he is the oldest guy on the field and ii) if you were to list all the QBs in order from best to worst over the past three years, where would Eli be? - probably around 23th to 27th and this year, probably bottom 5.

Oh I totally agree, Eli is awful and the giants have held on to him for way too long. But the way they’re operating in regards to guys like OBJ will keep you guys in the gutter well after Eli is gone

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Really strange that the new staff and GM got rid of this kid? He'd be the one right now just to make a change. Certainly can move around and who cares about accuracy at this point just make a play. Not sure about the rookie with this line could get killed but worth a shot nonetheless. They have so many problems though they wold still be unwatchable minus Barkley. He's a great pick no matter, one of a kind happy with this they would've sucked with any rookie QBs anyway and the same line.
Agreed. Was wondering myself about Webb. Unless he asked to go. This kid from Richmond is not bad at all. Give him some snaps. Starting him in front of Eli won't bring as much heat as last year. Barkley is absolutely sensational. Now I know why I ordered his shirt right after the announcement on draft day. Who says men after 50 shouldn't wear sports shirts.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Could not agree more. Other than QB, the most important positions are closest to the presnapped ball. I.e. the lines. I would even posit to wait on QB if picking outside the top 10, unless the 9 positions along the fronts are addressed.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I agree on both counts. Mayfield is something special. Like Barkley, did not take long to fit in to a new home.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I think Barkley is a star. However, drafting him was a HUGE mistake. It's simple math. Even if Barkley is phenomenal for 7-8 years, Darnold could be a franchise QB for 16+.

As far as Eli is concerned, he's cooked. He has horrible accuracy, cannot extend a play in the least, and refuses to throw the ball downfield. He's done. Bench him. If Shurmur doesn't bench him, he will lose the team. They all know Eli is terrible. The locker room with lose respect for Shurmur if he doesnt make a move. That's not saying the OL has been good...but Eli had enough time last night to do something...and he refused. Thanks for the SBs. Retire with grace with a clipboard in your hands for the rest of the year. Im done.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I agree on both counts. Mayfield is something special. Like Barkley, did not take long to fit in to a new home.

Running backs are plug & play for the most part. The Giants seem content with an ROI through merchandise sales. As primarily a Redskins fan for the better part of the last 3 1/2 decades, that is a good way to suppress ticket sales.

Just like in East Hartford. Home fans stop attending games where their team loses.

Reaction Score

There's a lot of questions about every qb. There were plenty of questions about Mayfield as well. You still take any one of those three over a running back, even a potential once in a generation talent . . .

Reaction Score
Team was gonna suck this year no matter what the problem is you cant go through a true rebuilding process with Eli, there has to be some one from his inner circle telling him its not worth it to keep on playing for this franchise. You can still win with Eli but he would need to be on a loaded team like the Rams at this point of career. It's honorable if Eli still wants to play with this franchise but hes really sacrificing his own health doing it.

Reaction Score
There's a lot of questions about every qb. There were plenty of questions about Mayfield as well. You still take any one of those three over a running back, even a potential once in a generation talent . . .

What if Laulette is just as good as Darnold and Rosen, too early to tell.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

In hindsight, are you taking Akili Smith over Marshall Faulk?* I get the economic arguments, I do, but at a certain point investing money into a QB who busts is not smarter than paying a lot of money to a guy who can score 25 TDs a year, no?

The notion that Barkley could be a 10-time MVP and Darnold/Rosen/Allen could be not great, and this would still be a bad move because we didn't draft a QB -- any QB -- is crazy to me. And forgive me if I'm misinterpreting the argument, but that's what it seems to be.

It's like going for it on 4th and 5. Depending on the circumstances, the numbers might tell you it's not the right move. But if you have a good feeling you're going to make it, and then you do make it, was it still the wrong decision? Is the argument simply that Gettleman made the wrong decision at the time? We're past that.

I agree that if Barkley just turns out to be a very good RB, and Darnold or Rosen end up being very good QBs, it will have been a mistake. We're all on the same page that the idea was that Barkley would be a lot more than that. And so far, it seems that's going to be the case.

*I know they weren't in the same draft class. Just using them as examples.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
In hindsight, are you taking Akili Smith over Marshall Faulk?* I get the economic arguments, I do, but at a certain point investing money into a QB who busts is not smarter than paying a lot of money to a guy who can score 25 TDs a year, no?

The notion that Barkley could be a 10-time MVP and Darnold/Rosen/Allen could be not great, and this would still be a bad move because we didn't draft a QB -- any QB -- is crazy to me. And forgive me if I'm misinterpreting the argument, but that's what it seems to be.

It's like going for it on 4th and 5. Depending on the circumstances, the numbers might tell you it's not the right move. But if you have a good feeling you're going to make it, and then you do make it, was it still the wrong decision? Is the argument simply that Gettleman made the wrong decision at the time? We're past that.

I agree that if Barkley just turns out to be a very good RB, and Darnold or Rosen end up being very good QBs, it will have been a mistake. We're all on the same page that the idea was that Barkley would be a lot more than that. And so far, it seems that's going to be the case.

*I know they weren't in the same draft class. Just using them as examples.
The problem is that in today's NFL RB's do not effect Wins and Losses. Todd Gurley is a monster...but if Goff were bad, the Rams would still lose. If you don't have a QB you're season is over before it started.

Reaction Score
Why I did this? Morbid curiosity...

2013: UConn 3-9 / Giants 7-9
2014: UConn 2-10 / Giants 6-10
2015: UConn 6-7 / Giants 6-10
2016: UConn 3-9 / Giants 11-5 (!!!)
2017: UConn 3-9 / Giants 3-13
2018: UConn 1-5 / Giants 1-5

Sub Total: UConn 18-49 / Giants 34-52

Total: 52-101
Yup. The 14 months between the 2011 Fiesta Bowl and Super Bowl XLVI drained our karma reserves. Ever since that stretch our highlights have been blowouts in the Beef OBrady bowl and Wild Card game. Ouch

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Giants need a lot. Last night was extremely painful. Eli has to go, one way or another. As QB, he has a loosing record since the Giants last Super Bowl win. That's the first step.

Get some offensive linemen who know how to block! Barkley is a magnificent talent. But he needs a line that can block and create holes to run through. I fear that one one of his crazy runs, he's going to get a knee blown out.

Too many missed assingments on the d-backs. Giants use to be known for their defense. Not so any more.
Jackrabbit didn’t look so hot

Reaction Score
In a draft with no quarterbacks.
That’s why you trade it away for multiple first rounders, shore up the line and the defense this draft, then go all-in on Tua or Haskins or Fromm in the 2020 draft

I get that you’re burning now two years of OBJ and Barkley contracts but hey

Reaction Score
The Giants will get Eli killed before the end of the season. Maybe the worst pass protection ever. Not that it matters that much since only 1 receiver ever gets open.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The problem is that in today's NFL RB's do not effect Wins and Losses. Todd Gurley is a monster...but if Goff were bad, the Rams would still lose. If you don't have a QB you're season is over before it started.

I think there's a very good chance that Barkley will be a lot better than Gurley, if he isn't already is. He's averaging 5.2 YPC and is on pace for 107 receptions. And I think the idea is that we'll get a QB; Shurmur is the last guy on earth who still thinks Eli's got some gas left in the tank. If he even actually thinks that.

What I've been saying since even before the draft is that Barkley has a chance not to be a once-in-a-generation RB, but the chance to be a new kind of player. The point of Moneyball wasn't that Beane was able to identify and obtain high OBP players; the point was he was able to find a market inefficiency and exploit it. People are stuck on "a conventional RB isn't worth a high pick." But what about a guy who can line up anywhere on the field and take it to the house every time he touches the ball?

Getting ahead of myself, of course. The kid has played just 6 games. But what I'm seeing is not Ezekiel Elliott or Todd Gurley. I'm seeing more than that. Let's improve the line and get him a solid QB and see what he (and OBJ) can really do.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
He's going to keep saying that until he stops saying it. 3 more weeks?
Yep, once we are something like 2 and 7, then it has to be over.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom