OT-Former Coach Edsall Happy For Huskies Bowl Bid | The Boneyard

OT-Former Coach Edsall Happy For Huskies Bowl Bid

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...insider-randy-edsall-1216-20151215-story.html

"I'm just ecstatic for Coach [Bob] Diaco and those kids, the staff and the university to be able to get back and have that opportunity to go play in a postseason bowl game," Edsall said. "With the investment the state made and the institution made, it's good to see that happening because you have the potential and the backing to do it each and every year. To see them go back made me really very happy for all the people that are involved in the program at Connecticut."

I think I can finally put my Edsall-hating to rest. Obviously he left the program in a bad spot, but it was his career choice to make and he had to live with the outcome. He'd probably still be coaching at UConn if he had wanted to, and I'm sure he'll land on his feet somewhere, my guess is he goes back to the NFL. I'm glad he had such good things to say about UConn and Bob Diaco, and I do wish him the best going forward.

Reaction Score
4Vvbx.gif

Reaction Score
He left the program in fine shape. There was plenty of talent and an NFL defense. Hathaway then hired the stupid twins. Had Edsall stayed, we would have been bowl eligible each of the first two years that the stupid twins were in charge. With the 2012 defense Edsall would have made a serious run at a conference championship. After that, the stupid twins had duckked everything so bad it's just hard to know.

Edsall had his strengths and weaknesses, and it was probably best that he moved on when he did for both parties. The problems ensued because of the follow on hire. Make no doubt about it, Ward extracted a tumor when he canned those idiots during the 2013 season. They were poison...................

Reaction Score
I think that if Army wants a new coach, that Edsall would be a perfect fit. There is none of the recruiting business stuff that Edsall hates, and the academic aspects of preparing for life after graduation through both academics and athletics will never be a question. He has proven he can recruit a defense, which Army desperately needs. Plus, you don't have to recruit a quarterback that can throw to compete at Army, just perfect fundamentals of 11 man blocking and ball carrier reading keys on offense.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I think that if Army wants a new coach, that Edsall would be a perfect fit. There is none of the recruiting business stuff that Edsall hates, and the academic aspects of preparing for life after graduation through both academics and athletics will never be a question. He has proven he can recruit a defense, which Army desperately needs. Plus, you don't have to recruit a quarterback that can throw to compete at Army, just perfect fundamentals of 11 man blocking and ball carrier reading keys on offense.
That's actually exactly what I thought about when I read his quote about "the college game now being a pro game played in college"... Army would actually be a great fit for a coach like Edsall. On the other hand you have to wonder if maybe the game has passed him by also. Every 10 years or so the game changes.

Reaction Score
Never thought of it, but it makes a lot of sense. Doubt he wants that job though.

Reaction Score
That's actually exactly what I thought about when I read his quote about "the college game now being a pro game played in college"... Army would actually be a great fit for a coach like Edsall. On the other hand you have to wonder if maybe the game has passed him by also. Every 10 years or so the game changes.

Not at the academies. Football strategy and tactics don't change. Army has had lots of issues, mostly its just not high enough level of recruiting, because of a bad decision years ago to try to do something different with football, coupled with the fact that our country has been fighting various ground wars actively for about 14 years straight now, that has been chewing through entry level commissioned officers. If there is anyone that can recruit to a high level there, its Edsall.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He left the program in fine shape. There was plenty of talent and an NFL defense. Hathaway then hired the stupid twins. Had Edsall stayed, we would have been bowl eligible each of the first two years that the stupid twins were in charge. With the 2012 defense Edsall would have made a serious run at a conference championship. After that, the stupid twins had duckked everything so bad it's just hard to know.
Hathway was a major cause of Coach Edsall's leaving. He wouldn't hear of raises for the assistant coaches, remember? What the hell did Jeffie do except pose for pictures at the games? He really helped us when he went to the NCAA, too.

Edsall had his strengths and weaknesses, and it was probably best that he moved on when he did for both parties. The problems ensued because of the follow on hire. Make no doubt about it, Ward extracted a tumor when he canned those idiots during the 2013 season. They were poison....

Edsall had his strengths and weaknesses, and it was probably best that he moved on when he did for both parties. The problems ensued because of the follow on hire. Make no doubt about it, Ward extracted a tumor when he canned those idiots during the 2013 season. They were poison....

Reaction Score
There is a lot I was unhappy with FHCRE about the way he left and what he left behind (despite what others say). However these are classy comments from a former coach and they are appropriate. I'll give him credit where it is due, here...and with how he built or program.

Now...back to the present and our current coach HCBD.

Reaction Score
Nah, Can you imagine Edsall being in position to need to schmooze with Yale or Harvard football people? That wouldn't go well. Edsall's not an ivy league personality.

Reaction Score
Never thought of it, but it makes a lot of sense. Doubt he wants that job though.
It's challenging to accept unavailable opportunities, and it's highly unlikely Army will not allow Jeff Monken a third year to continue re-building. Acknowledging the Cadets only won 2 games this season, there was progress and I believe only 2 multi-touchdown losses. With 7 losses of 7 or fewer points and another 10 point loss in 2015, turning several of them into wins is key next season.

As much as recruiting for any military academy is different, it's certainly not really easier and especially for Army. That said, beating Navy would have been absolutely massive for Monken, the Cadets, the USMA and its' Active and Retired Officers alike, and in particular for recruiting.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Edsall's skills in talent evaluation will pay dividends at Army. He will always have issues selling kids, he's just not a strong recruiter. Just think - we went to 4 straight bowl games as a BCS school, even after 3 straight our recruiting classes were not significantly different than anything we saw the prior 5-7 years. Compare that to Diaco - a 2-10 season and he was bringing in kids with as many offers as we had seen since we upgraded.

If you take Edsall, you just have to be prepared for vanilla. He could build a very solid program at Army, but it ain't gonna be fun 'n gun.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Classy of him to say those things. Edsall also contributed a very generous gift towards Jaz's monument at the Rent. Sure he left under less-than-admirable terms, but he's been very classy towards UConn since. He left more because of Jeff Hathaway, not any kind of dislike of UConn.

Reaction Score
Will never forget his interview after we beat him in College Park. Seemed genuine. Cried. Sio Moore a player he brought to Storrs was a big factor in our win. They embraced at game's end.

Reaction Score

He left it awful and left awfully. Completely disagree.

Left us with no D1 QB and no OL prospects or O-Line. More than half the 2009 class just disappeared off the face of the earth. He cannot recruit. Convinced Todman to go pro because there was no O-Line left.

Then he leaves in the middle of the night like the Baltimore Colts. Sends a text message to the team then goes for his dream job.

Give me a break. Don't let the door hit you in the on the way out.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
He left it awful and left awfully. Completely disagree.

Left us with no D1 QB and no OL prospects or O-Line. More than half the 2009 class just disappeared off the face of the earth. He cannot recruit. Convinced Todman to go pro because there was no O-Line left.

Then he leaves in the middle of the night like the Baltimore Colts. Sends a text message to the team then goes for his dream job.

Give me a break. Don't let the door hit you in the on the way out.
Edsall recruited Mike Nebrich. It is not his fault former "Coach" Pasqualoni had no ability to judge talent.

I also find it had to believe that he convinced Todman to leave while forcing him to tell his teammates, then making an about-face in the manner he did.

You can have whatever opinion you wish, but it may go over better if they were based in the least bit of common sense.

I didn't like how Edsall left. I am even more disappointed with how the Athletic Director responded, but some of this stuff is pure fantasy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Who cares. Edsall is gone and good riddance. Recruiting is and will be much better than anytime during his reign(example: Newsome, Cochran, Boyle all top CT players that would have looked elsewhere. Edsall always struggled getting any good ones to stay home). Maryland whispered B1G in Edsall's ear and he bolted on the next flight. He has kind words for the team he abandoned? Sorry Randy, this bridge is burned.

Reaction Score
You guys are Hilarious. You can still be hurt or feel abandoned by Edsall if you want - hell I won't knock you for that - but this idea that he left the cupboard bear for Pasqualoni is laughable.

I mean look at the draft picks UConn has produced - all his recruits - since he left:

2015 1 27 27 Byron Jones Cowboys DB
6 10 186 Geremy Davis Giants WR

2014 7 5 220 Shamar Stephen Vikings DT
7 38 253 Yawin Smallwood Falcons LB

2013 3 2 64 Dwayne Gratz Jaguars DB
3 4 66 Sio Moore Raiders LB
3 8 70 Blidi Wreh-Wilson Titans DB
4 27 124 Trevardo Williams Texans DE
6 33 201 Ryan Griffin Texans TE

2012 2 17 49 Kendall Reyes Chargers DT
I mean in 2013 ALONE we had 5 guys drafted and that team went 5-7 and missed a bowl game.

FWIW I think Diaco is going to prove to be a better coach at UConn than Edsall was on the field and on the recruiting trail.

But let's not pretend that Edsall didn't have an eye for talent and was a terrible recruiter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom