• Dont need no stinking flu shot, my body will fight it off

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Afraid of needles

Votes: 4 2.1%

• Total voters

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I don’t care whether you believe it or not. Never been sick before. And in 24 years of work, never called in sick once.

Hope you get a pay out on your sick days.

Reaction Score
With a kid on the way 3 months ago I got one. But I don't believe in them and don't trust them.

Reaction Score
It ain’t about you. Think about the most vulnerable weakest sickest person you know. Want to give them a 1/10,000 chance to die?

If an adult is weak, sick or vulnerable and they get a flu shot what difference does it make if I get one or not? They got the shot and should be protected, no? Let the weak and sick get the shot and leave healthy people out of it. This used to be the government's position until recently, not sure why it changed.

Last edited:

98Uconn

NL1MF
Reaction Score
As a pharmacist. UConn class of 98, I think that the anti-vaccine crowd is nuts. Vaccines eradicated diseases like smallpox. Now, many pathogens that could be controlled are making a comeback because of the ignorance of parents who don’t vaccinate their kids. Flu shot is far from perfect.. but it’s free in most cases making it hard to find a valid reason for the majority to not get vaccinated. Most are now from prefilled syringes that are thimersol (Mercury) free.

Reaction Score
For the first time in many, many years, I got the flu shot. My wife got the flu a couple of years ago and it wasn't fun for her. Besides, I'm around people such as my Dad who are not in the greatest of health. I figure it isn't going to me to pass it along to them. I've also been told there have been certain improvements in the vaccine covering the various flu strains, so I figured why not.

Reaction Score
Most are now from prefilled syringes that are thimersol (Mercury) free.

You can probably thank the ignorant anti-vaccine crowd for that excellent improvement.

BTW be sure to ask your doctor for the single dose pre-filled syringe, the multi-dose vials still have the thimerisol.

I'm sure the people who thought talcom powder causes cancer were not that long ago thought to be ignorant and nuts.

The problem with comparing the flu shot to other vaccines is you get the other vaccines once and you are done, the current flu - shot is a yearly thing for something that isn't really that deadly. Thankfully they are working on a one time cures all vaccine for flu, I'll wait for that one.

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You can probably thank the ignorant anti-vaccine crowd for that excellent improvement.

BTW be sure to ask your doctor for the single dose pre-filled syringe, the multi-dose ones still have the thimerisol.

You folks aren’t getting “thanked” for anything except the suffering and death of children.

Reaction Score
You folks aren’t getting “thanked” for anything except the suffering and death of children.

Dude get your kids vaccinated, i'm not stopping you. Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness is something we can all agree on. But don't take away my liberty with your hysterics.

98Uconn

NL1MF
Reaction Score
“A record number of US patients died from flu last year, with 80 000 deaths recorded in 2017-18, says the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Robert Redfield.”

“Really not that deadly”. ...unless you are one of or, love one of those 80,000 people.

BTW be sure to ask your doctor for the single dose pre-filled syringe, the multi-dose vials still have the thimerisol.

I'm sure the people who thought talcom powder causes cancer were not that long ago thought to be ignorant and nuts.

The problem with comparing the flu shot to other vaccines is you get the other vaccines once and you are done, the current flu - shot is a yearly thing for something that isn't really that deadly. Thankfully they are working on a one time cures all vaccine for flu, I'll wait for that one.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Had to get it every year while in military.

Had them via needle, snorting through nose and even via air pressured guns.

Got out and out company had free flu shots on site- regardless of whether you used their insurance.

Switched jobs and had to go to a clinic for a free shot.

I can't remember ever having the flu. Two cases of 24 hour bug in past 15 years.

I do know regardless of how, where, when I got shot within 3-5 days I would get sniffles, headaches and a sore throat that lasts a few days.

Reaction Score
“A record number of US patients died from flu last year, with 80 000 deaths recorded in 2017-18, says the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Robert Redfield.”

“Really not that deadly”. ...unless you are one of or, love one of those 80,000 people.

I guess I'm just lucky, I've never known anyone who has died from the flu. I have never even known a person hospitalized.

To each his own, get your flu shots people, for me its a hard pass and its still a free country I hope, although the way this is going there will probably be mandatory yearly flu shots for everyone soon.

Reaction Score
With a kid on the way 3 months ago I got one. But I don't believe in them and don't trust them.
Kids? Or, flu shots? If the former, apparently you're several months too late. Congrats! If the latter, MiniUconnFanNVaToBe likely appreciates your concern.

Last edited:

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I guess I'm just lucky, I've never known anyone who has died from the flu. I have never even known a person hospitalized.

To each his own, get your flu shots people, for me its a hard pass and its still a free country I hope, although the way this is going there will probably be mandatory yearly flu shots for everyone soon.

Once they make the masses get flu shots, we’ll know true democracy has been lost!!!!! It will be an unbearable loss of freedom that I’m just not willing to accept. God forbid I get pricked by a needle for a brief moment to protect another’s freedom....

Wait, that would mean that getting a flu shot actually promotes freedom, meaning that another’s freedom from illness is of greater importance than your freedom from minor inconvenience. That’s sort of how freedom works—It’s a calculation of worth; we don’t live in a world free from any and all constraint. We recognize that some individual constraints promote the liberties of all.

Reaction Score
Some current CT specific data: https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/Departments-and-Agencies/DPH/dph/infectious_diseases/flu/stats/thisweeksfluupdate.pdf?la=e

• A total of 82 hospitalized patients with laboratory-confirmed influenza admitted between August 26 and December 8, 2018 have been reported. Of these, 62 were associated with type A (subtype unspecified), 5 with influenza A (2009 H1N1), 5 with influenza A (H3N2), and 10 with influenza B viruses. A total of 1 flu-associated death has been reported in a person >65 years of age. No flu-associated deaths were reported during week 49 (Figures 3 & 4).

• A total of 259 influenza positive laboratory tests have been reported during the current season (August 26 – December 8, 2018): Fairfield County (76), Hartford (75), New Haven (55), New London (14), Litchfield (13), Middlesex (9), Windham (9), and Tolland (8). Of the positive reports, 196 were influenza A (subtype unspecified), 15 influenza A (2009 H1N1), 7 were influenza A (H3N2), and 41 were influenza B (Figures 5 & 6).

Reaction Score
Once they make the masses get flu shots, we’ll know true democracy has been lost!!!!! It will be an unbearable loss of freedom that I’m just not willing to accept. God forbid I get pricked by a needle for a brief moment to protect another’s freedom....

Wait, that would mean that getting a flu shot actually promotes freedom, meaning that another’s freedom from illness is of greater importance than your freedom from minor inconvenience. That’s sort of how freedom works—It’s a calculation of worth; we don’t live in a world free from any and all constraint. We recognize that some individual constraints promote the liberties of all.

well said. I'll get my shot tomorrow to protect your freedom. :rolleyes: Apparently the only way your vaccination works is if I get one too (quantum entanglement I suppose). It all makes sense now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

You’re probably ok living next to coal-burning utility too.

Reaction Score
Ive been getting Flu shots for about 15 years now and ive had the flu once in that time.

Reaction Score
I don't get them but good god I don't get the anti vaccination craze. I just can fight off a flu and every time I take a shot I seem to get the flu for a few days. Also for those rolling their eyes at needing to get vaccinations (for more important things than the flu) in order to protect the rest of us... that is how it works! we need to eradicate the disease as a society, you not taking the shot lets the disease spread and mutate risking its evolution into something we can't fight off.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’m hit or miss. Usually get it when I get my physical. Had my appointment earlier this year so this year I missed the flu shot. Of the years I had the shot and didn’t have the shot, I only got sick beyond a cold in years when I had the shot. Meaningless andcdotal evidence, but some years they guess wrong and it isn’t very effective.

Reaction Score
Kids? Or, flu shots? If the former, apparently you're several months too late. Congrats! If the latter, MiniUconnFanNVaToBe likely appreciates your concern.

lol thanks. Kid was born 12/1, got the flu shot several months before that.

Reaction Score
always get it, offered free through work. If you have the opportunity to get it, especially for free, do it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dugway

Top Bottom