OT: Favorite Drunk Food at UConn | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite Drunk Food at UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was at UConn in the very early 90's. Late night options were weak compared to most colleges. I'm pretty sure Ted's closed at or before the bars. The only options when I was there were bad pizza places. I remember the following:
  • Dominoes. It is what it is. I'm fine with it, but it's barely pizza. I vaguely remember that they put a Dominoes truck near the fraternity rock for a while. That was a nice addition.
  • Gumby's (terrible, but edible).
  • Primo's. The worst. Pretty sure it was just white bread with jar sauce and fake cheese that was shaped in a circle. I think we would order coming out of bars and it would be at the Jungle by the time we'd get back. I think we used to get the delivery guy to drive us back with the pizza we ordered for an extra tip.
  • Store 24. Could've been so much better and it was too far for me from the Jungle.
  • Sgt Pepperoni. That was such an awesome addition, but it was late in my tenure at UConn. I think there was a mediocre Greek pizza place before it.
Other places that I have vague memories of. They weren't post drinking, but I was usually drunk (or hungover) while there. Wow, I drank (and ate) too much in college.
  • Willington Pizza. The big treat.
  • Margheritaville? How did they not get sued. I'm sure they did eventually. Not even sure we ate there. I think we knew a bar tender that hooked us up.
  • Oscars. Free bar pies at midnight and cheap pitchers.
  • Ponderosa (Ponda-gross-a). We used to get looked at like the fat comedian that told the jokes about the all you an eat Chinese buffet. "You been here 5 hour! You go home now!" I think I ate a 5 gallon vat of pudding once.
  • Kathy Johns? It was like a poor man's Cracker Barrel. I think I got food poisoning there.
  • Tin Tsin (sp?). Cheap Chinese place that I would get like every Sunday night. I probably thought I was eating healthy because it was made in a wok and had a couple vegetables in it.
Of all of these, the only place I'd go back to as a 40 something, is Willington Pizza and Ted's. Sounds like there are more options now, even if they aren't better!

Reaction Score
I was at UConn in the very early 90's. Late night options were weak compared to most colleges. I'm pretty sure Ted's closed at or before the bars. The only options when I was there were bad pizza places. I remember the following:
  • Dominoes. It is what it is. I'm fine with it, but it's barely pizza. I vaguely remember that they put a Dominoes truck near the fraternity rock for a while. That was a nice addition.
  • Primo's. The worst. Pretty sure it was just white bread with jar sauce and fake cheese that was shaped in a circle. I think we would order coming out of bars and it would be at the Jungle by the time we'd get back. I think we used to get the delivery guy to drive us back with the pizza we ordered for an extra tip.
  • Store 24. Could've been so much better and it was too far for me from the Jungle.
  • Sgt Pepperoni. That was such an awesome addition, but it was late in my tenure at UConn. I think there was a mediocre Greek pizza place before it.
Other places that I have vague memories of. They weren't post drinking, but I was usually drunk (or hungover) while there. Wow, I drank (and ate) too much in college.
  • Margheritaville? How did they not get sued. I'm sure they did eventually. Not even sure we ate there. I think we knew a bar tender that hooked us up.
  • Ponderosa (Ponda-gross-a). We used to get looked at like the fat comedian that told the jokes about the all you an eat Chinese buffet. "You been here 5 hour! You go home now!" I think I ate a 5 gallon vat of pudding once.
  • Kathy Johns? It was like a poor man's Cracker Barrel. I think I got food poisoning there.
  • Tin Tsin (sp?). Cheap Chinese place that I would get like every Sunday night. I probably thought I was eating healthy because it was made in a wok and had a couple vegetables in it.
Of all of these, the only place I'd go back to as a 40 something, is Willington Pizza and Ted's. Sounds like there are more options now, even if they aren't better!

Margartitaville is still there but Jimmy Buffett asked them to change the name. It's now Chuck's Margaritas. Only went twice. Place is humongous. Food is awful. Which is surprising because the Chuck's in Danbury is pretty good.

There are a lot more places now, even from when I was there in 2014. Storrs Center is a godsend for students.

Reaction Score

Our favorite off campus eatery was Tony's Pizza in Willimantic. It became something of a tradition among my friends to eat there late Friday nights. This continued for probably about 15 years after we were gone from UConn.

Reaction Score
I had a another roommate who worked at Mansfield depot for 2 years. ( I think it had a fire or closed). Good food and drink. Yes it was like 90% off because my buddy hooked me up

Reaction Score
I had a another roommate who worked at Mansfield depot for 2 years. ( I think it had a fire or closed). Good food and drink. Yes it was like 90% off because my buddy hooked me up

Mansfield Depot, the restaurant in the train rail car. A good place, and I do wish it were still around. Yes, it did burn down, at least 15 years ago.

Reaction Score
Mansfield Depot, the restaurant in the train rail car. A good place, and I do wish it were still around. Yes, it did burn down, at least 15 years ago.

My buddy was a bartender for a year or so. Around 1997 or 96.

We both worked at two steps... yikes.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Two more places coming to mind: Gil's in Willi was a late night greasy spoon that closed like a semester after I got up to Storrs. And the Country Pride truck stop a little further up 84.

Reaction Score
Cheeseburger grinder from Woody's Bus in the old parking lot across from Frats (north campus) by the rock. Later renamed Irmas.
If you remember that you remember Shoots on Thursday nights!

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
It was opened by a friend from Ansonia along with others, don't know if he was still there when it burnt down in 2003

Reaction Score
'78-'79, Food truck near where welcome center is now located. Long walk from McMahon on a cold winter night, but the cheeseburger grinder well worth it. Also I believe it was Paul's Pizza , they delivered late. Nice !!!!

Reaction Score
For those that remember Irma's food truck; Do you guys remember an off campus bar on rte 32 a little north of Willington Pizza. It was right across the road from Hall's Pond( there was a small old road side factory on the pond)
We used to go there often.

Reaction Score

Margarita's, Kathy John's, and Tin Tsin were absolutely hideous. Soooo bad.

The Depot was excellent. My dad still talks about my graduation dinner that we had there. Very good. For a nice dinner, my fave place was the Brew House in Willimantic. I remember it being significantly better when I was in my 20s as compared to the last time I went...

Reaction Score
Margarita's, Kathy John's, and Tin Tsin were absolutely hideous. Soooo bad.

The Depot was excellent. My dad still talks about my graduation dinner that we had there. Very good. For a nice dinner, my fave place was the Brew House in Willimantic. I remember it being significantly better when I was in my 20s as compared to the last time I went...

The depot is where I learned to love gin and with sometime red wine. I have ended my relationship with gin...

Reaction Score
It's a tank and puds from Wally's for me. It's really not even close, no brainer.

Reaction Score
Wing's Over baby!! By a good margin. Willington Pizza also made for a nice occasional lunch or dinner .

Reaction Score
It's a tank and puds from Wally's for me. It's really not even close, no brainer.
I thought everything at Wally's was good except for the chicken. It was almost always dry when I had it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom