OT - ESPN Layoffs | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT - ESPN Layoffs

Reaction Score
Len Elmore‏ @LenElmore 18m 18 minutes ago
Gee, I feel like I am now part of an exclusive club. #ESPNLayoff. For 21 yrs. I tried to represent the best in college hoops. Adios Bristol!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love Len. Randomly met him at a bar in Manhattan about 10 years ago. Had a casual conversation for well over an hour. Great commentator....even greater person. :(

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
As content providers, there is not a single person at ESPN that I will miss. As people and providers of families, I feel no better or worse than I do for the countless of Americans that go through this on a daily basis. Losing a job sucks for anyone, people at ESPN included. But to make this out to be some sort of sad day for sports journalism is self - indulgent. Its real life and has been happening to Americans for years. It finally caught up to a business model that got away with overcharging people for decades. I don't feel sorry for ESPN one bit. They made this bed, now sleep in it.

They went away from what made them great. Severed their roots and now are overrun by actors yelling at each other for the sole purpose of getting hottakes trending from the mouthbreathers who actually take them seriously.

These two combined sum my feelings up nicely.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
O'Neil never impressed me.

ESPN is falling off a cliff. They're losing six-figure subscriptions a month and ratings are tumbling.

Which is, of course, perfect timing for UConn. The conference realignment money fire hose is now off and the American will walk into a buzz saw the next time the contract is negotiated.
Only hope is that if ESPN's decline ends the TV windfall that supported the mega conference structure, then there may be some incentive to reshuffle.

[Sigh, that sounds lame to me, even as I type it.]

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Only hope is that if ESPN's decline ends the TV windfall that supported the mega conference structure, then there may be some incentive to reshuffle.

[Sigh, that sounds lame to me, even as I type it.]

Honestly, the whole nonsense bubble that has built up around college sports is going to pop.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Honestly, the whole nonsense bubble that has built up around college sports is going to pop.
Yeah, so best case scenario is we get in a situation with more natural opponents and (driveable games) but even if that happens we'll still have missed the gravy train of cash that the P5 currently receives.

Reaction Score
Damn, just seen that Ethan Sherwood Strauss got the axe, he's done a very good job reporting on the Warriors the past few years during their rise.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Only guy I'd truly be devastated about would be Mike reiss, Patriots beat writer. One of the best in the business.

Reaction Score
Number 1, I doubt she belittled UConn EVERY time. And number 2, not everything is about UConn, so just because she maybe didn't speak glowingly about us doesn't make her a bad reporter.

I should have separated my two reasons better for you Andre.

With that having been said, I have never thought she was a good reporter, or interesting or knowledgeable enough to keep my attention... and that was how I felt well before I was paying attention to her consistent bias against us, I did not think she was a good reporter. Do a quick search on past threads on this and the football forums... there are multiple threads that call Dana out for her biased articles - not isolated to one by any means. And I am by far not the first person to point it out.

Here are multiple examples of stories she wrote and a tweet just a few weeks ago. that show her blatant lack of thoroughness or understanding on a story involving us. She decides what her opinion is and her investigation ends... even if she shows an obvious ignorance of the entire situation:

1. Reaction to her biased story (conveniently leaving out the retroactive part of the ban, as so many others who lined up against us but left out key aspects of the case because it weakened her argurment) denegrating us during our appeal of our APR ban - Dana O'Neil read Pat Forde's column and thought to herself 'I can do worse than that'

2. This thread relates to her over-the-top belittling of our move of the football program to FBS and subsequent participation in the 2010 Fiesta Bowl. I'm sorry, but a legitimately good reporter does not say snarky, immature things like "Then there's UConn. The Huskies built a football stadium on the side of I-84, won enough games to get to the Fiesta Bowl in 2010 and then attracted approximately 11 people to Arizona for the game." What's Dana O'Neil's problem?

3. Her Twitter comparison of this year's National Championship game and ours from 6 years ago. I realize our game against Butler was very ragged (particularly in the first half) but she picks that championship game out? There are more than a few others to choose from, but she randomly picks our game.

This was just a quick, initial search... I can come up with more if you like.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I've heard a number of anchors went to management and offered to accept reduced salaries.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

With that having been said, I have never thought she was a good reporter, or interesting or knowledgeable enough to keep my attention... and that was how I felt well before I was paying attention to her consistent bias against us, I did not think she was a good reporter. Do a quick search on past threads on this and the football forums... there are multiple threads that call Dana out for her biased articles - not isolated to one by any means. And I am by far not the first person to point it out.

Here are multiple examples of stories she wrote and a tweet just a few weeks ago. that show her blatant lack of thoroughness or understanding on a story involving us. She decides what her opinion is and her investigation ends... even if she shows an obvious ignorance of the entire situation:

1. Reaction to her biased story (conveniently leaving out the retroactive part of the ban, as so many others who lined up against us but left out key aspects of the case because it weakened her argurment) denegrating us during our appeal of our APR ban - Dana O'Neil read Pat Forde's column and thought to herself 'I can do worse than that'

2. This thread relates to her over-the-top belittling of our move of the football program to FBS and subsequent participation in the 2010 Fiesta Bowl. I'm sorry, but a legitimately good reporter does not say snarky, immature things like "Then there's UConn. The Huskies built a football stadium on the side of I-84, won enough games to get to the Fiesta Bowl in 2010 and then attracted approximately 11 people to Arizona for the game." What's Dana O'Neil's problem?

3. Her Twitter comparison of this year's National Championship game and ours from 6 years ago. I realize our game against Butler was very ragged (particularly in the first half) but she picks that championship game out? There are more than a few others to choose from, but she randomly picks our game.

Was she wrong? I mean, if I wasn't a UConn fan, I'd turn that game off. One of the least watchable basketball games I've ever endured.

Reaction Score
Only guy I'd truly be devastated about would be Mike reiss, Patriots beat writer. One of the best in the business.
Luckily I don't think ESPN is going to downsize their coverage of the Pats at this point

Reaction Score

That UConn,Butler NCG is widely considered one of the worst. Awesome for us, but a far reach to think she's purposely taking a shot at us.

Reaction Score
There used to be a game show where contestants competed for a job at ESPN. The show ended with Stump the Stump or something.

Did any winner become somebody?
The first winner, Mike Hall, I believe is now the Host for Big Ten Live Show as well as lot of pre and post games for College Basketball amongst some other things.

He's actually pretty good too.

Reaction Score
Trent Dilfer out, he's actually very good but does take a lot of his thoughts away from Steve Young.

Reaction Score
First Take has to be one of my least favorite shows I've ever seen. To each their own, though. It definitely gets views.
Silly show, to fabricate opinions just so people can watch an argument is one of the most embarrassing shows shown on television.

For the people who don't realize that this is going on, WAKE UP.

Reaction Score
Trent Dilfer out, he's actually very good but does take a lot of his thoughts away from Steve Young.

Young needs to be out after that Bloomberg expose.

Damn, just seen that Ethan Sherwood Strauss got the axe, he's done a very good job reporting on the Warriors the past few years during their rise.

This surprised me even though he is a no name. I just hadn't considered the possibility. Very good at his job. ESPN has had good NBA coverage recently.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love Len. Randomly met him at a bar in Manhattan about 10 years ago. Had a casual conversation for well over an hour. Great commentator....even greater person. :(
Good guy, but a legitimately terrible color commentator.

from a January game this year:

Purvis finally shoots an open 3-pointer -- his first of the night -- and that idiot Elmore says "Purvis is settling right now, he has the ability to get into the lane, get high percentage shots and get to the line. But that 3-pointer looks so good to him right now so he takes too many of them."

Kill me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Dude like everyone in America compared this years title game to UConn - Butler.

Reaction Score
Russillo is literally the only person I like on ESPN. Kanell sucked but I do feel bad for him.

This was a huge lie now that I think about it. I really hope that's a Zach Lowe is spared even though I know he will put out great content wherever he is. All the hacks bias my view but there are many very talented writers there.

Reaction Score
Young needs to be out after that Bloomberg expose.

This surprised me even though he is a no name. I just hadn't considered the possibility. Very good at his job. ESPN has had good NBA coverage recently.

I'm seeing several more NBA team specific writers also out like Daryl Watkins w/ the Rockets and Justin Verrier w/ the Pelicans(I think he's a UConn grad as well), sucks because most of ESPN guys covering one team do a pretty good job.

Reaction Score
I'm seeing several more NBA team specific writers also out like Daryl Watkins w/ the Rockets and Justin Verrier w/ the Pelicans(I think he's a UConn grad as well), sucks because most of ESPN guys covering one team do a pretty good job.

Shocked if Tim McMahon doesn't get canned as well. I also think he is a hack even though probably a good guy.

Chris Herring is another one that would hurt a lot.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
After all these firings, I'm wondering how much of a raise they payed the his and hers hosts for their move to sportscenter?

There are so many terrible former player analysts, surprised not to see many of them let go.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom