OT Down goes Brady | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT Down goes Brady

Reaction Score
As a Jets fan, that clock runoff was especially sweet because Belichick did it to be an to Gase and the Jets earlier in the year. I love the fact Vrabel did it to him and that Belichick threw a tantrum while he did it. Soooooo sweet.

No, it was different. Gase declined the penalties. That's why Belichick kept doing it. Belichick and the NFL have been going on about this rule for years. Belichick has always felt it is stupid. Regardless, there was plenty of time last night to get the ball and do something with it.

Reaction Score
For years we heard how it didn’t matter who the Pats had on offense. Brady and Belichick could game plan it and use everyone.

Turns out Gronk was THE lynchpin of all that. Remove him and all of a sudden they all look a lot more human.

???

The Patriots won 4 Super Bowls without Gronk.

He wasn't on the field when they beat Atlanta.

Reaction Score
Patriots season was over when they let AB go over allegations in a civil lawsuit.

That's not when they let him go. They let him go weeks after that when he threatened another woman's children on twitter by sending his goon after her. Brown would have been suspended regardless.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No, it was different. Gase declined the penalties. That's why Belichick kept doing it. Belichick and the NFL have been going on about this rule for years. Belichick has always felt it is stupid. Regardless, there was plenty of time last night to get the ball and do something with it.

Wrong. It’s the same principle. And Belichick did it against the Jets in a blowout and with a smirk on his face and got it fed back to him in spades last night.

Sorry if that’s tough to swallow today.

Reaction Score
???

Okay. Then for all the years they won with average talent on the offense side of the ball, why couldn’t they do it this year?

Obvious answer would be Brady is cooked. Right?

Reaction Score
Wrong. It’s the same principle. And Belichick did it against the Jets in a blowout and with a smirk on his face and got it fed back to him in spades last night.

Sorry if that’s tough to swallow today.

Sigh. Like I said, different circumstances. He did it because Gase kept declining the penalty. And he was like, why are you declining it? You're losing precious time off the clock.

Reaction Score
Okay. Then for all the years they won with average talent on the offense side of the ball, why couldn’t they do it this year?

Obvious answer would be Brady is cooked. Right?

What years are you referring to? As I go over it, this offense has less talent than 2006 and 2013, which were 2 years the Patriots were retooling with poor offensive weapons, but even then, they had more than we had this year. They also obviously lost in those years.

It's hard to know if Brady is done or not because of the team's problems. We shall see, I guess. He said he's returning, but it's hard to know if it will be with the Patriots. I would not be surprised if he does very well next year.

Reaction Score
Sigh. Like I said, different circumstances. He did it because Gase kept declining the penalty. And he was like, why are you declining it? You're losing precious time off the clock.
May be different circumstances but the principle remains that intentionally taking penalties leads to a weird loophole where you can burn extra clock off without running a play. As we all learned last night, even if Gase has accepted, the clock would have kept running. You’re being pedantic.

Reaction Score
???

The one against at Atlanta the Pats had Martellus Bennett, while the earlier 2000s Pats teams didnt have a TE the caliber of Gronk they did have some solid TE's in Wiggins, Fauria, a younger Watson, and Graham. Pats had a 90 year old Watson at TE that was it he was the replacement for Gronk, it was mind boggling to not get a TE in FA or the draft.

Reaction Score
The one against at Atlanta the Pats had Martellus Bennett, while the earlier 2000s Pats teams didnt have a TE the caliber of Gronk they did have some solid TE's in Wiggins, Fauria, a younger Watson, and Graham. Pats had a 90 year old Watson at TE that was it he was the replacement for Gronk, it was mind boggling to not get a TE in FA or the draft.

Yes, we last drafted a TE on the first 2 days of draft in 2010, and it was Gronk.

Reaction Score
May be different circumstances but the principle remains that intentionally taking penalties leads to a weird loophole where you can burn extra clock off without running a play. As we all learned last night, even if Gase has accepted, the clock would have kept running. You’re being pedantic.

No, it's not pedantry. If Gase would have accepted, there wouldn't have been more penalties. That's the whole point. That's why Belichick was like, "Why in the world are you declining it?"

There's a reason why that Delay of Game penalty is never declined, and it's because of the rule. That's what Belichick was going on about against the Jets. He wasn't trying to waste time there. There'd be no reason to do it there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
After going to 8 straght AFC championship games, of course people are happy when the Pat's lose in the wildcard game. People get sick of winners. Same thing happened when the UConn women lose. Hopefully in a few years people get sick of the UConn men's team. In sports it's a good thing to be hated

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
What years are you referring to? As I go over it, this offense has less talent than 2006 and 2013, which were 2 years the Patriots were retooling with poor offensive weapons, but even then, they had more than we had this year. They also obviously lost in those years.

It's hard to know if Brady is done or not because of the team's problems. We shall see, I guess. He said he's returning, but it's hard to know if it will be with the Patriots. I would not be surprised if he does very well next year.

Who has an offensive line that can protect his ancient bones?

While the Steelers line sucks, it would be delicious irony if lardass rapistburger has a recliner accident and Pittsburgh signs him.

Reaction Score
After going to 8 straght AFC championship games, of course people are happy when the Pat's lose in the wildcard game. People get sick of winners. Same thing happened when the UConn women lose. Hopefully in a few years people get sick of the UConn men's team. In sports it's a good thing to be hated
Well the cheating sure informs people’s hate too

Reaction Score

While the Steelers line sucks, it would be delicious irony if lardass rapistburger has a recliner accident and Pittsburgh signs him.

His options if he leaves New England are pretty limited.

I only see 3 teams, and that's if they get rid of their QBs.

Chargers (Rivers), Bears (Trubisky), Bucs (Winston).

I find it hard to believe that the Bears give up on Trubisky, but he was pretty bad this year. Also, the Bucs giving up on Winston is hard to fathom, but Arians has made comments that show it may happen.

Some teams are truly bad and Brady simply will not go to them, like the Redskins and Bengals, even though they need a QB.

Really, his options are limited to the Patriots and 2 or 3 teams.

Reaction Score

Nah, I think he had it right. Comes with the territory of winning too much. In a pre-social media era, the 49ers were hit for doing the same things other teams did, and so were the Cowboys.

You'll see teams like the Jets doing the same things the Patriots were doing: Jets explain presence of camera man on sidelines
Jets taped Pats' game; Mangini says it was all legal

Or heck, just last week: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ENUKcjoWsAUXrk1?format=jpg&name=large

Reaction Score
The cheating is my biggest problem with them by far but the bandwagon jumping has always been bothersome. The bandwagon fandom is obviously out of their control unlike the constant cheating but it's going to be funny to watch all those "lifelong" Pats fans jump ship now and throw away their pink hats.

Reaction Score
Losing Gronk and not really upgrading their wideout situation prior to the season was a surprising play by Belichick. Edelman was limited at the end of the season but was still the main focus or distraction to get others open. Running 3 times from the one was telling about the Pats faith in their pass game and Brady's mobility which leaves much to be desired at this point. No rolling out the QB there. Why no playaction? This offseason I wonder if McDaniels decision to stay or take a head coaching job will be the thing that determines if Brady stays.

Reaction Score
The cheating is my biggest problem with them by far but the bandwagon jumping has always been bothersome. The bandwagon fandom is obviously out of their control unlike the constant cheating but it's going to be funny to watch all those "lifelong" Pats fans jump ship now and throw away their pink hats.

This is one of the lamest comments one can make.

Teams get more fans when they win.

It's not like the Hartford Civic Center is packed to the rafters these days.

It's axiomatic.

Reaction Score
Dynasty with an *.

Never have so few people respected a dynasty.

Reaction Score

Dallas has a pretty strong offensive line.

Reaction Score
This is one of the lamest comments one can make.

Teams get more fans when they win.

It's not like the Hartford Civic Center is packed to the rafters these days.

It's axiomatic.
I know, the Patriots got an entire fanbase in the last 15-20 years. It's like New England got a new expansion team. Gonna be a huge sale on pink hats.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom