OT - Dietary Supplements | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT - Dietary Supplements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I like to mix a bowl of fresh fruit (mostly berries), yogurt, and granola. Eat it every day. But you guys are making re-think the granola portion. What I could mix in in place of the granola?
Oats and nuts.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Thanks. I checked the woman to whom he referred me and she is a registered dietician, among other things.
Yep, mine's a personal trainer and something else as well. Mine has been totally free with Anthem which has been nice too.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yep, mine's a personal trainer and something else as well. Mine has been totally free with Anthem which has been nice too.
I have Anthem too and was going to check into exactly that. I'll still go either way, but if the alternatives are this or going on statins, I'd imagine this is less expensive for them in both the short and long term.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Hahaha that was funny. Everybody loves a good stool.
A good tool and a good stool but I don't like mine to go hand in hand.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Wow, those are some great genes with those brothers. Your uncle sounds like he was an awesome guy.
He was. Prior to his accident he was almost always happy. His wife (my aunt) got on a lot of peoples nerves but he always treated her well and never let it show if her behavior bothered him. He literally turned lemons to lemonade.

Reaction Score
Aren't oats a grain? Previous posts talked about the unhealthiness of grain, unless I misunderstood
I'm not buying any of this nonsense that oats are bad for you. Pretty much every food we are told is good for you becomes bad for you at some point and vice versa. Oats come from the ground are rich in protein, fiber and antioxidants. They are heart healthy, filling and give you energy. I'll always consider them a good morning staple. I was told my whole life that eggs were horrible for you but I never stopped eating them. They said the whites were good for you but the yoke was horrible for you, this never made any sense to me and the docs had it all wrong. Do your own research and see how you feel when certain foods become a part of your diet. Often these so called experts have it all wrong.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I'm not buying any of this nonsense that oats are bad for you. Pretty much every food we are told is good for you becomes bad for you at some point and vice versa. Oats come from the ground are rich in protein, fiber and antioxidants. They are heart healthy, filling and give you energy. I'll always consider them a good morning staple. I was told my whole life that eggs were horrible for you but I never stopped eating them. They said the whites were good for you but the yoke was horrible for you, this never made any sense to me and the docs had it all wrong. Do your own research and see how you feel when certain foods become a part of your diet. Often these so called experts have it all wrong.
Also, Blue Corn meal, a super food!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I like to mix a bowl of fresh fruit (mostly berries), yogurt, and granola. Eat it every day. But you guys are making re-think the granola portion. What I could mix in in place of the granola?

Nothing wrong with granola man, as long as it's not that fake sugary stuff. The good stuff tends to cost a bunch though.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
That whole thing on eggs was dangerous from the start and was surprised that it took off in the medical field.

Even in the 70's I was aware that the body could get cholesterol from carbohydrates as well as from ingestion of cholesterol foods because there are metabolic pathways in which cholesterol could be made from carbohydrates. There is a lot known about pathways even as there is a lot more to be uncovered. There is also a lot known about pathway interaction. Turn one pathway on, another gets deactivated or reduced activation. The problem is there is no easy or economical method to know each of our set ups. For instance, if someone has an overactive pathway in making cholesterol from carbs, giving this person a cholesterol free diet could be a death sentence if the consumption of cholesterol for that person helped reduce the carb to cholesterol pathway's activity. And the reverse is true.

A "balanced" diet is variable both between individuals and within an individual as that individual ages.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Aware of telemeres for a while. Really happy the third article points out the elephant in the room - cancer.

Multicellular organisms gave up their ability for eternal life. The advantage of course is the ability to have greater control of the environment. A single cell organism is, in the right environment, perpetual. Multicellular organisms evolved because the environment in our universe is not conducive to life.

Cancer is horrible as we all know. But looking at it objectively it really is the reversion to an embryological state when our cells were undifferentiated. Undifferentiated cells in a multicellular organism are in effect a collective of single cell organisms. Follow the embryological development of any multicellular organism and you will get the "ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny" development - that is the history of evolution manifests in that development. But in order to progress through that progression, new switches have to be activated as others are shut off.

I will be happier if and when the Harvard researchers demonstrate the reversion of aging on the general population of mice versus those genetically manipulated to be without telemerase. In the manipulated version, they removed an isolated feature that still has all of the other machinery in place which would be activated when the missing feature is reintroduced. Aging doesn't work as neatly.

My theory, as it has been for the last thirty or so years is that the process of rejuvenation of cells has to be manipulated with some type of energy field but only after an individuals entire biochemistry is understood. That would necessitate a leap in a technological development (finding a type of energy that can manipulate matter) and a whale of understanding about the biology of cells on an individual basis (another technological development necessity - think Star Trek).

The interesting thing is that I believe there are individuals who can do types of healing and it's not just confined to stories in the bible. If I'm correct, and I know some of these people, they may hold that key.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I have Anthem too and was going to check into exactly that. I'll still go either way, but if the alternatives are this or going on statins, I'd imagine this is less expensive for them in both the short and long term.
I put the free part in for Boneyarders in general who might give it a try if no cost. Interesting about statins-I had muscle problems on regular doses. My newish doc had me try only 2 pills per week and this has worked for me. Another tidbit for unwashed masses who might have had problems like me.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
So I write an essay yesterday in response to this and this morning I read two articles, one of which advances some questions I had regarding the above articles. The second article still puts into question a viable non invasive delivery system, but the first article is extremely intriguing. Just ignore the silly title.

http://scienceblog.com/483617/beta-cells-love-handles/

Chinese scientists genetically modify human embryos for the second time

Reaction Score
Bacon, Beer, Rum....

Speaking of bacon if anyone is ever in the Springfield HOF area on Tuesdays for Happy Hour you need to go into Samuels right in the basketball HOF building. They have Bacon Night on Tuesday's - yes bacon not chips, popcorn or mix, BACON. You get a basket any way you want it, crisp is king. Now admittedly I do like bacon but not that much, and I still don't like it that much with beer or cocktails but it does attract people. Add to it a very fun and good looking staff of bartenders it's a good place on most any evening, but bacon on Tuesday's is a bit different huh?

Reaction Score
Loving all the advice in this thread. I've been having serious problems with stress/sleeping/fatigue for over a year. I've tried just about everything to remedy it. Because of you guys, I ordered a B12 supplement and have been taking it the last 5 days. I've felt more energy and more alert each day and my sleeping has improved tremendously - I've been sleeping for longer periods without waking up and feel more rested in the morning. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I'm loving these improvements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom