OT - Dietary Supplements | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT - Dietary Supplements

Status
Not open for further replies.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Your daily smoothie sounds great but 30 freaking ingredients sounds crazy to me. As long as you can deal with it and it doesn't destroy your wallet then it's good, that sounds too time consuming to me though with all the shopping. I usually drink once a week and it's usually of the binge variety. Any doc will tell you drinking heavily is not good for you but if you keep a great diet like you do and get some exercise in you should be fine.

I've been hooked on smoothies for a while, but the don't have to be a wallet buster.

My local grocery store has a table of fruits and vegetables that are a day old, and they'd soon be throwing away (bruised, etc). Still good, but they would have likely been picked over by other customers.

I buy enough for a weeks worth of smoothies, supplementing with frozen fruit on sale.

When I get home, I divide the produce into a dozen or so ziplock bags (one bag = one smoothie), with a little of everything in each bag. The bags go into freezer, and I move one or two a day to the refrigerator each night for the next morning smoothie.

Each smoothie ends up costing a buck or two.

Worth noting: If you load up on frozen blueberries for a couple days before a doctor's appointment, tell your doctor. It turns your urine blood red. Having significant kidney problems, and blood read urine, kinda gets your doctor's attention.

Reaction Score
I had brought up going Keto on the first page. It's an awesome feeling when you get into Keto: clarity, energy, focus, no bloat, etc. I also agree with you about grains...and by association Gluten, which is a protein, but seriously makes you feel terrible. That being said, I go Keto for 2 -4 weeks at a time and stay on a generally low carb diet outside of Keto. @intlzncster is probably right that the once the body gets comfortable, it loses it's effectiveness, and could potentially backfire if done for sustained periods of a couple of months or longer. I would recommend trying Keto, I personally feel thats when I am best equipped to handle life.

What are you eating? Are you one of these folks putting butter into their coffee? I'm not eating any carbs and I'm taking mct oil and can't get past .5/.6 mm. Do you measure your Keto levels? I even tried KetoCana without raising my Keto levels above .7.....thanks for any info

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
What are you eating? Are you one of these folks putting butter into their coffee? I'm not eating any carbs and I'm taking mct oil and can't get past .5/.6 mm. Do you measure your Keto levels? I even tried KetoCana without raising my Keto levels above .7.....thanks for any info

I did put MCT oil/grass fed butter in a morning coffee. I didn't realize any noticeable difference. So I will finish my bottle of MCT and likely won't continue that. Most days I won't get to 20g Carbs, you'll hit that if you are still eating veggies. Otherwise, I don't have a specific diet. The one thing that I pair this with is intermittent fasting, basically I eat between 12 noon and 8pm. Black Coffee in the morning. I believe the problem I had with the MCT oil/coffee is that it may have jacked with the intermittent fasting.

I do the the less reliable pee test and I can get into 3.0 mMol in a day. I think I read that ideal is 2-3, meaning anything more than that has severe diminishing returns. Are you working out with the diet?

I have not tried the KetoCana or any other of the Keto supplements, so I couldn't share any experiences with that.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
IMO you need to differentiate between grains and carbs....veggies have carbs...but they are healthy. There are a lot of folks that think grains of any type are basically poisoning your body because they are inflamatory...read Grain Brain and Wheat Belly about the negative consequences on the brain and heart caused by grains. I'm 50+ and in reasonable condition for my age. I started a 21 day primal cleanse from marksdailyapple.com---no grains of any kind, no sugar and no legumes. Basically veggies, protein and some fats. My joint pain is gone after only 10 days and I dropped 6 lbs. If you eat carbs, you body burns sugar for fuel and stores fat....if you don't eat grains, your body burns fat for fuel.

I'd be interested if anyone has any experience with a Ketogenic diet....I'm not eating enough fat to go into ketosis but am considering it

Gotta be careful with long-term high protein, low carb diets. Can really negatively affect some peoples' kidneys.

As with most anything, balance is usually the best course of action.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Cocaine. Massive amounts of caffeine.

Sometimes I have peasants freeze-dried and turned into a protein powder that I use in smoothies.
I was gonna give this a like but then it got weird at the end.

Reaction Score
Gotta be careful with long-term high protein, low carb diets. Can really negatively affect some peoples' kidneys.

As with most anything, balance is usually the best course of action.
You definitely should have carbs in your diet but you would have to take in a crazy amount of protein before it would ever hurt your kidneys or liver.

Reaction Score
I did put MCT oil/grass fed butter in a morning coffee. I didn't realize any noticeable difference. So I will finish my bottle of MCT and likely won't continue that. Most days I won't get to 20g Carbs, you'll hit that if you are still eating veggies. Otherwise, I don't have a specific diet. The one thing that I pair this with is intermittent fasting, basically I eat between 12 noon and 8pm. Black Coffee in the morning. I believe the problem I had with the MCT oil/coffee is that it may have jacked with the intermittent fasting.

I do the the less reliable pee test and I can get into 3.0 mMol in a day. I think I read that ideal is 2-3, meaning anything more than that has severe diminishing returns. Are you working out with the diet?

I have not tried the KetoCana or any other of the Keto supplements, so I couldn't share any experiences with that.

I work out 3-5x per week...usually strength training, 1 cardio day and usually sauna for 20 min after the workout...if you aren't eating veggies, what are you eating besides protein? Or is it just protein? I've read that you should get 70% of calories from fat...but that seems almost undoable unless I'm mainlining coconut oil and grass fed butter...can you tell me a typical day's diet?

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
I work out 3-5x per week...usually strength training, 1 cardio day and usually sauna for 20 min after the workout...if you aren't eating veggies, what are you eating besides protein? Or is it just protein? I've read that you should get 70% of calories from fat...but that seems almost undoable unless I'm mainlining coconut oil and grass fed butter...can you tell me a typical day's diet?

I meant to say that I get to 20g with the vegetables, I didn't mean that veggies were eliminated.

-Coffee, black or Tea whenever.

Meal #1: 12:00 PM Sharp

-Chicken, Turkey, or Steak Salad. Typically romaine and a ton of spinach. avocado and feta. Other veggies in moderation.

Meal #2: Anytime, but no later than 8pm.

-4 Eggs and Turkey Burger (Costcos are awesome), Salmon Burger, Grass Fed Beef burger with MIXED PEPPERS AKA ITALIAN GIARDINIERA* and Avacado.

Condiments: Spicy Mustard and Frank's Red Hot

*70% Calories from fat is difficult to do. The giardiniera that I make has Olive Oil/vinager base. So paired with things like Avacado, Olives, etc. you can get reasonably close.

I'd also recommend Shiratake noodles, they don't have carbs in them and can be found in Asian Markets, but you need to watch the sauce if you are making a dish. The right pesto is a good option. You can also find Carb Zero Noodles at Walmart.

There has to be carbs sneaking in somewhere in your diet...everything else, as stated, seems to be the perfect Keto diet...

Reaction Score
I meant to say that I get to 20g with the vegetables, I didn't mean that veggies were eliminated.

-Chicken, Turkey, or Steak Salad. Typically romaine and a ton of spinach. avocado and feta. Other veggies in moderation.

-4 Eggs and Turkey Burger (Costcos are awesome), Salmon Burger, Grass Fed Beef burger with MIXED PEPPERS AKA ITALIAN GIARDINIERA* and Avacado.

*70% Calories from fat is difficult to do. The giardiniera that I make has Olive Oil/vinager base. So paired with things like Avacado, Olives, etc. you can get reasonably close.

I'd also recommend Shiratake noodles, they don't have carbs in them and can be found in Asian Markets, but you need to watch the sauce if you are making a dish. The right pesto is a good option. You can also find Carb Zero Noodles at Walmart.

There has to be carbs sneaking in somewhere in your diet...everything else, as stated, seems to be the perfect Keto diet...
Why only 2 meals per day and what kind of exercise do you do?

Reaction Score
Sent you a pm ND. I will put in a plug for a company I do consulting for
lifepriority.com

Good folks and good products.

Reaction Score
Right now I'm low carbing it to lose some weight. I think I have an energy drink addiction though. I usually have 1 or 2 monsters or red Bulls daily in addition to 2 five hour energy shots. Barely keeps me awake. Gotta break this habit.... barely even gives me a pick up. I can drink a monster in bed and go to sleep and sleep like a baby. Maybe I'm immune to caffeine?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
After reading this entire thread with all the cautions on carbs and processed grains, I'm now dubious that anyone commenting on the pizza thread has actually been to any of the places mentioned this century.

@NDakotaHusky

If eating right isn't in your future, there's alway this: How Fecal Transplants Work

"Eat shiat and live?"

The thing that was most interesting to me about that article was that the solution for diluting the feces includes full fat milk, not 2%, not skim, not lactose-free. I'd love to learn more about the clinical trials!

I'm also wondering if there's any money in becoming a shiat donor.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Right now I'm low carbing it to lose some weight. I think I have an energy drink addiction though. I usually have 1 or 2 monsters or red Bulls daily in addition to 2 five hour energy shots. Barely keeps me awake. Gotta break this habit.... barely even gives me a pick up. I can drink a monster in bed and go to sleep and sleep like a baby. Maybe I'm immune to caffeine?

. You have a legit problem. Could launch a rocket with that amount of fuel.

Reaction Score
Here's the list:
- Probiotics
- Kelp Supplement
- Beet Root Supplement
- Fish Oil
- Daily Vitamin for Men (chew able)
- Zinc
- Vitamin D

I'm a little embarrassed to admit, but I take the Zinc and Vitamin D because it supposedly helps testosterone levels. I'm not a Dr. and I didn't speak to a Dr. about it...so hopefully that's sorta accurate.
i also take D3 and Zinc but for totally different reasons. D3 is good for practically everything and Zinc is not only good for immune health but i read a while back that it helps with cholesterol too.
B12 - good for nerves and metabolism/energy.
Cinnamon and Chromium - both good for blood sugar control.
Somnapure - helps with sleep.
Probiotic - have a touch of IBS.

Reaction Score

Thanks for the info....I have been drinking a kale/spinach shake for breakfast, salad with protein for lunch and protein with a veggie for diner...did the calculation on just the veggies and I am way over 20 g carbs..never realized it. I need to rethink my eating plan if I want to try this keto diet...I think starting with a 24 fast then cutting out the breakfast shake will do it.

Do you real feel that great in ketosis?? Anyone I've spoken to that has done it raves about it. Have you listened to Dom D'agostino's podcast on Tim Ferriss? He's the keto king

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I have worked with a dietitian (I believe that dietitian's are registered or certified or something, but "nutritionists" not so much).
Thanks. I checked the woman to whom he referred me and she is a registered dietician, among other things.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I'll be reading this thread tonight...but my menu this week adds:

Curried quinoa with mango chutney (yep, as the entree).
And Kale slaw with a spring mixx mixed in with grilled chicken.

The time has come to start reducing the triglycerides and adding vitamin E.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
My experience in life (just me, everybody is different, and some are very different):

Being heavier makes everything more difficult. 35 pounds is the difference between lean and feeling great and not feeling well. I've never been more than 35 pounds or so over my target weight, but I imagine that the "feeling crappy" and "overweight" scales are tightly correlated.

Smoking makes you feel like crap.

Drinking heavily, chronically, makes you feel like crap.

Caffeine makes you feel like crap and can affect sleep.

Eating crappy food makes you feel like crap.

Stress at work makes you feel like crap.

One of the worst cycles is the Cube Farm Zombie cycle, which is wake up, dose caffeine, eat unhealthy snacks during day, get prepared lunch, more unhealthy snacks and caffeine, dislike your job and be stressed, overeat at home and be sedentary, use alcohol to unwind daily.

I've done it all, BTW, and have lived unhealthily. Not preaching by any means. After about half a century on the planet have just figured out that what works for me is - desire less stuff, work fewer hours or at a more likable job, don't smoke more than 10 cigarettes a year, keep my weight less than 10 pounds over ideal, eat a broad range of food, including lots of fruits and veggies, avoid fast food and prepared meals, drink heavy only once in a while, don't use caffeine (tough one), stay very active, and maybe most importantly, avoid all drugs (including all supplements) unless there is a specific deficiency/reason to use them. It took 3.5 billion years of evolution to produce the current version of humans, which relied only on naturally available food. Unless there's an issue, you should be able to get everything you need by simply eating broad diet of foods. Peace.
When I feel like crapping and succeed I feel real good.

All kidding aside, stools are a pretty decent measure of gut activity.

I still plan on eating some fried clams or fried shrimp when I head to Ct @August_West and @8893 . I'll feel like crap afterwards both physically and mentally (knowing I gave in to an unhealthy impulse) but I can rationalize it with the knowledge that avoiding it would make me even more miserable, and as you point out Taste, mental states are critical to health.

Anecdotally I'm sure that the primary reason for my Uncle's longevity (103) was primarily based on his zest for life and positive attitude. He didn't drink coffee (tea instead), didn't smoke (but my aunt died of lung cancer and was a heavy chain smoker so he got heavy doses of tobacco smoke), infrequently consumed alcohol, didn't eat red meat, but that was it. He enjoyed eggs and chicken, breads and some deserts. His body type would have to be classified as chunky. He walked a lot but no organized exercising. But his attitude was incredibly optimistic. He had an almost childlike naivety although he was very intelligent. He would travel around the state of CT meeting with people and always getting involved with projects . He drove until he was 98. Unfortunately some kid ran a light and t boned his car. He never fully recovered physically and was unable to resume his activity. His state of mind and health deteriorated over a five year span, but I swear, had he not been in that accident he could have lived a lot longer.

He was the youngest of the three brothers (there were two sisters as well, my mom being the youngest) and the other brothers lived to 98 and 89. These brothers were not overly obsessed with their diets and their choices of eating were different. But none were smokers (both had smoking spouses) or big alcohol imbibers. One uncle ate meats frequently another moderately. I would have to say their diets were different from one another. But like their younger brother they each had a zest for life. And they, like their younger brother, walked a lot.

The sisters on the other hand sadly developed Parkinsons and died much younger. No scientific study but my guess is that they were far more restricted growing up and never reached their emotional freedom the way their bothers did.

My suggestion to all in this thread is know your body. It's different in significant ways from everyone else. There are known metabolic pathways that process carbs and known metabolic pathways that process cholesterol and so on and like physical traits we observe (various heights, weight, muscle mass) these pathways have different ranges in composition and performance in each and every one of us. Follow any diet that makes you feel good but be careful not to become obsessed with these processes to the point that life is about the process and the goal supersedes enjoying life.

I'm going to find a bottle of champagne and make a toast to Winston Churchill. I want his or my uncles biological make up. If there are any microbiologists in this thread, get on the stick and find the techniques that can alter our cellular biology with noninvasive microbiological techniques to match either of these guys microbiology.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Hahaha that was funny. Everybody loves a good stool.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

I still plan on eating some fried clams or fried shrimp when I head to Ct @August_West and @8893 . I'll feel like crap afterwards both physically and mentally (knowing I gave in to an unhealthy impulse) but I can rationalize it with the knowledge that avoiding it would make me even more miserable, and as you point out Taste, mental states are critical to health.

Anecdotally I'm sure that the primary reason for my Uncle's longevity (103) was primarily based on his zest for life and positive attitude. He didn't drink coffee (tea instead), didn't smoke (but my aunt died of lung cancer and was a heavy chain smoker so he got heavy doses of tobacco smoke), infrequently consumed alcohol, didn't eat red meat, but that was it. He enjoyed eggs and chicken, breads and some deserts. His body type would have to be classified as chunky. He walked a lot but no organized exercising. But his attitude was incredibly optimistic. He had an almost childlike naivety although he was very intelligent. He would travel around the state of CT meeting with people and always getting involved with projects . He drove until he was 98. Unfortunately some kid ran a light and t boned his car. He never fully recovered physically and was unable to resume his activity. His state of mind and health deteriorated over a five year span, but I swear, had he not been in that accident he could have lived a lot longer.

He was the youngest of the three brothers (there were two sisters as well, my mom being the youngest) and the other brothers lived to 98 and 89. These brothers were not overly obsessed with their diets and their choices of eating were different. But none were smokers (both had smoking spouses) or big alcohol imbibers. One uncle ate meats frequently another moderately. I would have to say their diets were different from one another. But like their younger brother they each had a zest for life. And they, like their younger brother, walked a lot.

The sisters on the other hand sadly developed Parkinsons and died much younger. No scientific study but my guess is that they were far more restricted growing up and never reached their emotional freedom the way their bothers did.

My suggestion to all in this thread is know your body. It's different in significant ways from everyone else. There are known metabolic pathways that process carbs and known metabolic pathways that process cholesterol and so on and like physical traits we observe (various heights, weight, muscle mass) these pathways have different ranges in composition and performance in each and every one of us. Follow any diet that makes you feel good but be careful not to become obsessed with these processes to the point that life is about the process and the goal supersedes enjoying life.

I'm going to find a bottle of champagne and make a toast to Winston Churchill. I want his or my uncles biological make up. If there are any microbiologists in this thread, get on the stick and find the techniques that can alter our cellular biology with noninvasive microbiological techniques to match either of these guys microbiology.
Wow, those are some great genes with those brothers. Your uncle sounds like he was an awesome guy.

Reaction Score
I like to mix a bowl of fresh fruit (mostly berries), yogurt, and granola. Eat it every day. But you guys are making re-think the granola portion. What I could mix in in place of the granola?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom