OT-Deathstorm | The Boneyard

OT-Deathstorm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
getting this started because I have nothing else to talk about and there are no Uconn games going on. Seen initial reports of a foot or more in Fairfield County Wednesday into Thursday. We'll see how the storm tracks though.

Reaction Score
The internal debate between teachers at school: should administration just give the kids a regular snow day on Thursday rather than an "e-learning" day?

I vote, yes. Snow days are a northeastern institution and I do not want technology to ruin the chance to have a day to do whatever you want outside in a foot of snow.

ON EDIT: Our head of school announced that if we have snow on Thursday, it will be a traditional snow day with no classes, homework, etc. Huge relief for the kids and for me since we have grades due on Friday.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The internal debate between teachers at school: should administration just give the kids a regular snow day on Thursday rather than an "e-learning" day?

I vote, yes. Snow days are a northeastern institution and I do not want technology to ruin the chance to have a day to do whatever you want outside in a foot of snow.

As a point of reference, we had a hurricane where I live back in September. Knocked out power for most for 3-5 days. Hurricane hit on a Tues/Wed and everyone had Thurs, Fri and the weekend off. Starting either Monday or Tuesday it was online classes for a week while the shcool was cleaned up and power could be restored.

I would vote for snow days vice e learning since reliable power and internet would be highly variable throughout the school day.

Also, most importantly, kids should be huslting money shoveling driveways and such and applying physics via sledding, snow ball fights and snow forts.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
My school is in a fully remote model so we’re going to have business as usual. Utter BS if you ask me. Let these poor kids take a day to play in the snow...attendance will be terrible and kids will be marked absent. So lame.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Our new schools superintendent sent this out on Friday, which sounds like the right balance to me:

Snow Days
School districts in CT are now able to shift to distance learning in place of calling off school for the day. This action would eliminate the need to add another day onto the end of the calendar. It's great to have this flexibility as it provides for continuity of instruction but it's also important to balance the fun, excitement and relaxation of a snow day. There will be days when power outages are occurring or expected and it will be clear we’ll need to call off the entire day. I’m in the process of researching this issue and expect to share more information on how MPS will approach snow days with you next week.

Reaction Score
I disagree. As long as there aren't power outage issues, do a remote learning day. If we can avoid adding snow days to the end of the year or taking away scheduled vacation days, would much rather them do remote for the day.

Reaction Score
Our new schools superintendent sent this out on Friday, which sounds like the right balance to me:

Posted at the same time. I think this is the right call.

Reaction Score
My school is in a fully remote model so we’re going to have business as usual. Utter BS if you ask me. Let these poor kids take a day to play in the snow...attendance will be terrible and kids will be marked absent. So lame.

Agreed. I want to go outside as much as they do. I already have 1/3 of my students absent, another 1/3 disengaged on any given day. I'm going to be down to 4 kids in each class if we have school.

Reaction Score
I disagree. As long as there aren't power outage issues, do a remote learning day. If we can avoid adding snow days to the end of the year or taking away scheduled vacation days, would much rather them do remote for the day.
Maybe it's different where you are but for me it was the opposite. Snow days were always built into the calendar and if you *didn't* use them they'd have to take away days of school at the end of the year (which never happened, they were always used)

Reaction Score
Past being aware of these forecasts and that the possiblity for snow exists, I dont adjust anything until the snow is on the ground. Then I'll start paying more attention to the forecasts if necessary.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Dad?

From middle school through junior year of HS I had Hartford Courant paper route in the morning, Journal Inquirer route in the afternoon and then would cut some grasss or shovel snow for a few of those houses. Gave me enough pocket money for what I wanted.

Snow day would be deliver papers, shovel driveways and be out playing with friends by 9 or 10 am.

Reaction Score

A close family member of mine is a teacher, the principal at her school is basically taking the "snow days are no longer necessary, we can just go online.." position which, as you can imagine, is going over like a fart in church with kids, parents, and her fellow educators. Said principal is also a pretty big with 0 cajones.....

Reaction Score
Connecticut..,1978...the only real blizzard I remember from when I was a kid to when I left Connecticut in ‘91. We lived at the top of a hill. We were sledding for days! The whole neighborhood. I’ll never forget that neighborhood feeling. The adults acted like kids hanging our, sledding all day, one neighbor took the keg from his basement fridge and deposited it in the snow for all adults to enjoy. That week off from school was magical for me and my friends. I’m talking “Sandlot” magical peeps!!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Almost had that from the Google outage this morning. My daughter's last in-person day was set to be Wednesday, but between Covid and the storm, there is no point to that. Her school went to no "snow days" two years ago, doing remote whenever there would otherwise be a snow day. They got out almost a week earlier than the public school kids in June.

Reaction Score

My district is currently hybrid. They already announced that they'll tell us Tuesday night whether or not we'll be doing Wednesday virtually from home instead of in school. They also announced that next year's schedule allows for one snow day, but after that one day we will just start having virtual days when we would have a snow day. They really got out in the front of it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Our school district got rid of snow days....and then reconsidered this past weekend.

“Furthermore, we have also revisited the recommendation that we use remote days rather than call a snow day. In the event of inclement weather, the district will call a snow day and all schools will be closed. I understand that this may cause some inconvenience, but perhaps, it would be good for our kids to have some time away from a screen, play in the snow, and have some hot cocoa.”

Reaction Score
Sorry guys snow days should no longer be a thing. We have all moved to a remote learning model and this is a byproduct of it. We need our children to be educated as they have already been disrupted so much due to lack of leadership during the pandemic. We can't keep missing days of learning and be further set back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom