OT-Deathstorm | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT-Deathstorm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don't forget the batteries. It is CT so expect the power to be out for a week.

I never understood the cases of water. People always stock up on water like their faucets will stop working from a simple death storm.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I never understood the cases of water. People always stock up on water like their faucets will stop working from a simple death storm.

Well, if water mains freeze or break (physically break or electronic control of the system), it will disrupt water to the home.

Reaction Score
I had a well in Coventry. The faucets do stop working. I tried to fill the tub ahead of time with water if I was prepared but wouldn't want to drink the water so I stocked up on beer. The tub water was to flush the toilet.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I had a well in Coventry. The faucets do stop working. I tried to fill the tub ahead of time with water if I was prepared but wouldn't want to drink the water so I stocked up on beer. The tub water was to flush the toilet.

Use that tub water for brewing. Nothing like enjoying a good Tub Water Double IPA.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
From middle school through junior year of HS I had Hartford Courant paper route in the morning, Journal Inquirer route in the afternoon and then would cut some grasss or shovel snow for a few of those houses. Gave me enough pocket money for what I wanted.

Snow day would be deliver papers, shovel driveways and be out playing with friends by 9 or 10 am.
From fourth grade until well into high school, every snow day, without fail, my father would call from work as soon as school was cancelled and "remind" me that it was a good chance to get out and hustle for money shoveling sidewalks and driveways. I would walk out with my shovel and start knocking on doors. As the years went on I would end up miles away from my house, returning in late afternoon with a lot of dough.

One of his classic sayings: "When you don't have a job, your job is to find one."

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
From middle school through junior year of HS I had Hartford Courant paper route in the morning, Journal Inquirer route in the afternoon and then would cut some grasss or shovel snow for a few of those houses. Gave me enough pocket money for what I wanted.

Snow day would be deliver papers, shovel driveways and be out playing with friends by 9 or 10 am.

That sounds like a cauldron of intensity.

Reaction Score
Considering you can literally die in 3 days without it, water is one thing I completely understand people stock piling in case of emergencies. Makes much more sense than milk and bread.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Considering you can literally die in 3 days without it, water is one thing I completely understand people stock piling in case of emergencies. Makes much more sense than milk and bread.

I have a well, so I do stock up so I can flush toilets in particular. But if a snowstorm is the event, I would suggest that water isn't really all that scarce.

Reaction Score
From fourth grade until well into high school, every snow day, without fail, my father would call from work as soon as school was cancelled and "remind" me that it was a good chance to get out and hustle for money shoveling sidewalks and driveways. I would walk out with my shovel and start knocking on doors. As the years went on I would end up miles away from my house, returning in late afternoon with a lot of dough.

One of his classic sayings: "When you don't have a job, your job is to find one."
I haven't seen anyone hustling to shovel for decades. Some small plow trucks, yeah, but people on foot with real shovels? Nope. And I could use one too.

Reaction Score
Well, if water mains freeze or break (physically break or electronic control of the system), it will disrupt water to the home.

Wow. looks like I found who's been clearing off the shelves.

I'm talking from the perspective of having lived in a New Jersey suburb, where everyone is on town water, and it rarely got below 10 degrees. Six to twelve inches of snow predicted (generally independent of the cold snaps) and, the lines at the grocery store checkout would be snaking down the isles. Always waited until the next day. They would restock overnight, and had the store to myself.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I have definitely melted snow to flush toilets before.

I kept my Bonfire covered and on the deck for exactly that purpose if needed.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Wow. looks like I found who's been clearing off the shelves.

I'm talking from the perspective of having lived in a New Jersey suburb, where everyone is on town water, and it rarely got below 10 degrees. Six to twelve inches of snow predicted (generally independent of the cold snaps) and, the lines at the grocery store checkout would be snaking down the isles. Always waited until the next day. They would restock overnight, and had the store to myself.

I'm down south and am pretty rational with hoarding.

I did get a huge reality check back in September with Hurricane Sally. Normally if we think there is storm I go with a case of water per day per person to cover anything needed. We also have a couple of 5 gallon jugs which can hold water, plenty of other vessels inside the house- vases, cups, thermos', etc that can be used to hold potable water.

Andywho, no one was expecting a big storm, then it stalled an dumped about 25" of rain over 24 hours and hit with winds around 90-100 mph. Because the ground was so saturated massive living Live Oak trees, pines and other trees which would normally scoff at those winds were being uprooted like crazy.

We made it through wind and rain with just power loss. No biggie. We even have natural gas for water heater so we had hot running water. And then, due to water mains upline being breeched, the utilities shut off all water. We went from hot water to no water in less than a minute. My face dropped because I would have filled up using what we had. It wasn't even like we could use sinks to pour dirty water and then use propane, bleach and filtering to clean it. We had zero water pressure.

I don't know if there is a lesson or point to the story, but I can assure that any person who loses access to potable water, realizes real quickly how important it is to have it available.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Sorry guys snow days should no longer be a thing. We have all moved to a remote learning model and this is a byproduct of it. We need our children to be educated as they have already been disrupted so much due to lack of leadership during the pandemic. We can't keep missing days of learning and be further set back.

Ah, a snow day is not actually a missed day.

It’s an extra day built into the calendar that will be returned if not used.

Reaction Score
12-18 inches now for NYC. Reminds me of the Uconn vs Cuse game a couple of years ago at MSG that snarled traffic in the tri state. Think that might of been November though and it was like 3 inches of snow or something that the area just did not prepare for at all. I remember the horror stories people telling me they were in their car for like 6 hours trying to go 30 miles home.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Agreed. I want to go outside as much as they do. I already have 1/3 of my students absent, another 1/3 disengaged on any given day.
That sounds about what took place when I went to school.

Reaction Score
Welp, I guess better get cracking on the annual snowblower tune-up tomorrow.

My wife is a teacher and she's all for the "no more snow days" trend. There's nothing teachers hate more than those meaningless tacked on makeup days at the end of June when it's 85 and muggy and no one wants to be at school. They'd rather fake it through a day in Dec-Mar when there's nothing else to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom