OT: Crate Training Puppy | The Boneyard

OT: Crate Training Puppy

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Posted this on the football board, but thought I may get more responses over here...

I just got a puppy named Moe (short for Moses) who is around 8 weeks old (might be 7 not sure) and we are trying to crate train. Last night, the dog cried for nearly two hours before falling asleep for two hours, and then woke up and cried for another 45 mins. Is this normal? I was told to just ignore it and power through it but this seems excessive.

PS i tried to post a pic of the pup but the file was too big and too lazy to change it

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Posted this on the football board, but thought I may get more responses over here...

I just got a puppy named Moe (short for Moses) who is around 8 weeks old (might be 7 not sure) and we are trying to crate train. Last night, the dog cried for nearly two hours before falling asleep for two hours, and then woke up and cried for another 45 mins. Is this normal? I was told to just ignore it and power through it but this seems excessive.

PS i tried to post a pic of the pup but the file was too big and too lazy to change it
A puppy that age should never be in a crate for more than 3 hours.

Why are you crate training? To housebreak?

Reaction Score
I would recommend YouTube as a resource over the boneyard for this. They have tons of how to training videos.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
We crate trained our two dogs. They were a little older, though (both were 4-6 months when we got them). They didn't love going in their crate initially, but then they got used to it and at time they would go in on their own to take naps. Not sure if 8 weeks is too young to crate train since I don't have any experience with dogs at that age.

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
Dogs are social animals. Isolating a puppy at a young age for long periods of time is, IMO, cruel.

The poor pup, going from sleeping with his Mom and litter mates to being all alone.

If you need to crate train, at least put the crate in a bedroom with you or your children.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Dogs are social animals. Isolating a puppy at a young age for long periods of time is, IMO, cruel.

The poor pup, going from sleeping with his Mom and litter mates to being all alone.

If you need to crate train, at least put the crate in a bedroom with you or your children.

Yeah, this (hopefully) goes without saying - I wouldn't put the dog in the crate until we were going to sleep as well, and the crate was right at the foot of our bed. If you're still awake and making noise or the dog can see light under the blanket covering for the crate, then he's definitely going to cry.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
If he cries throw him in the bed with you. ;) Before you now it he will be a major part of your family.

This is what has happened lol. I tried every trick online from radio, moving crate into bedroom, everything. Pretty sure the dog is just a nut, so I put him in bed and it looks like he's just going to sleep with us from now on.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
A puppy that age should never be in a crate for more than 3 hours.

Why are you crate training? To housebreak?

We were just worried about him peeing on our carpet in the night, and I need to crate him while I'm at class for a couple of hours during the day. But we gave up on overnight crating because the dog seems to be generally anxious and I think crating is just not good for him.

Reaction Score
This what i recommend also. Having raised and trained many dogs. They will get use to it. Its the best in the long run for the dog and you. They will actually go to an open crate as it acts as a den. It keeps them from gettingin trouble so they don't to have a negative response. Try a marrow bone with some peanut butter inside also. Start leaving the puppy alone in the crate and leave for an hour. Extend the duration and the pup will have less anxiety separation. Think like a canine and not a human.

Reaction Score
Lotsa good info here... I'd also recommend putting the crate near your bed until the pup is used to it. You can also put it something that simulates his mother's heartbeat (alarm clock) and a piece of your clothing that has your scent on it. I crate trained my pup and he ended up loving it. As stated above, he would go in there to nap or just to hang out.

Reaction Score

You might think so but a dog needs to feel secure at that age.

Reaction Score

Moe is used to being part of a pack - and now you and your family are the new pack. I would recommend buying an additional crate for your bedroom (I'm assuming this isn't the case?). Let him sleep in the same room - he desperately wants to be with his new pack...good luck!

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Watching and reading intently here. New pup for us on 3/3. We plan on crate training as well.

Reaction Score
This is pretty common. As a few others have said... the crate should be in your room and try not to let the dogs cries win, so to speak. Crate training is the best way to house train a dog by far. 8 weeks is young so expect a couple more weeks like this but it will work out.

Another tip that I haven't seen yet: My husky used to whine a lot too in the crate and I put a sheet over the crate to turn it into a den/cave and this worked amazingly well.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
This what i recommend also. Having raised and trained many dogs. They will get use to it. Its the best in the long run for the dog and you. They will actually go to an open crate as it acts as a den. It keeps them from gettingin trouble so they don't to have a negative response. Try a marrow bone with some peanut butter inside also. Start leaving the puppy alone in the crate and leave for an hour. Extend the duration and the pup will have less anxiety separation. Think like a canine and not a human.

I'm doing this today, as I'm leaving for a couple of hours for school and then returning. I'm going to just crate during my classes for the next week or so, and see how it goes

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Watching and reading intently here. New pup for us on 3/3. We plan on crate training as well.

Oh wow...nice! What kind of dog? They are more work than I anticipated, but it's fun

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Oh wow...nice! What kind of dog? They are more work than I anticipated, but it's fun

An Old English Sheepdog. Litter was delivered 1/14 (or there abouts). Coming from a breeder in Maine.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I didn't say it was good or bad but unless done absolutely correct it can be horrible for their development. The rule is no longer than 1 hour plus an hour for every month of age. And you better be wearing them out for an hour of play / attention before putting them inside. crating is tricky. I'm sitting next to a chocolate lab right now that was pretty ruined from improper crating before I rescued it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom