OT: Crate Training Puppy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Crate Training Puppy

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Posted this on the football board, but thought I may get more responses over here...

I just got a puppy named Moe (short for Moses) who is around 8 weeks old (might be 7 not sure) and we are trying to crate train. Last night, the dog cried for nearly two hours before falling asleep for two hours, and then woke up and cried for another 45 mins. Is this normal? I was told to just ignore it and power through it but this seems excessive.

PS i tried to post a pic of the pup but the file was too big and too lazy to change it

Sent you a PM, but in case you didn't see it:

It's not unusual. Might he have to pee? When we crate-trained our little guy, he needed to pee like a 75-year old guy who ran out of Flomax. I'd have to let him out repeatedly.

Anyway, it was hard for a few weeks at night. And for a while after that he would whine and bark, according to our neighbors, during the day. But that was more about missing us than being in the crate. Eventually he got used to the crate and likes it. Now we don't lock the crate ever but he gets in it happily when are leaving. He roams around but will often get in it to rest. And he's often in it when we get home.

So I'd say keep with it, if you can handle a couple weeks of crappy sleep.

Edit: He was 6 or 7 weeks old when we got him. The crate was in the bedroom, which has weirdly large ledges (it's an old factory), so we were able to put the crate on the ledge where he could see us. Didn't stop him from whining all night, though. He couldn't go up or down stairs so during the middle of the night I would carry him and to this day he likes being picked up and carried (at 2 1/2 years old and 40 pounds). (Also, regarding my comment about being in the crate during the day, we did have walkers come multiple times during the day to keep him company until he was immunized, and then walk him. Just in case anyone thought I was a dick.)

Last edited:

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
It's not unusual. Might he have to pee? When we crate-trained our little guy, he needed to pee like a 75-year old guy who ran out of Flomax. I'd have to let him out repeatedly.
Yup and if you don't get him out to pee when he needs to, it defeats the housebreaking components of crate usage.

Reaction Score
We were just worried about him peeing on our carpet in the night, and I need to crate him while I'm at class for a couple of hours during the day. But we gave up on overnight crating because the dog seems to be generally anxious and I think crating is just not good for him.

Dogs are natural den animals. After a little while they will stop crying and willingly go in the crate, sometimes in their own to just relax.

I have 3 dogs all crate trained and all sleep/ willingly go in crate for the night. They use to sleep in the bed but no longer after the wifey didn't want them in the bed anymore.

With puppies as long as you take them out every (think based on age it's an hour for every month old) so many hours they will be fine. The dog is training you right now by getting you to respond to his crying and taking him out and to the bed

Reaction Score
Tell us we're all casual dog owners.

Also, we eventually let the dog sleep in the bed. Total c--- blocker.

He tends to go in and out of the bed (sometimes he likes sleeping on the floor) during the night.
When checking a dog out, don’t outline the crate training academic plan. BOOORRRRIIINNNGGG

Reaction Score
Owning a dog is just flat out stupid. What's the return policy on it?

Reaction Score
Owning a puppy is a challenge, but it's definitely worth it. Dogs are just incredibly loving creatures that can teach us a lot about life.

Oh, puh-lease. For every good, legitimate thing you can say towards owning a dog, I can list 5 that aren't. Maybe 10.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Oh, puh-lease. For every good, legitimate thing you can say towards owning a dog, I can list 5 that aren't. Maybe 10.

Cats are where its at. My next cat will be a Savana cat.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I love dogs. But some of it is where you are at in life. When my current one passes ( and he is a chocolate lab going on 12 so I don't anticipate more than 12-24 months tops) I will not be owning another dog ever. I might have even stopped at the last one when it passed 10 years ago but got this one simply because I felt my daughter should have one through her formative years like I did .
They are a lot of work and the reward for that work can be awesome when done right. But it does change the way you live. The downsides will outweigh the upsides for me after this one simply because I'm in a different place in life and no longer have the time or inclination to put in the work to do it right.
I want to go on vacations and not worry about kennels. I want to go away for weekends and not have to pay someone to pet sit. I don't want the medical bills. The walks. I don't want to feel guilty because I haven't taken him swimming enough. The middle of the night cry's to be let out. And emotionally don't have it in me anymore to go through the attachment I get to the dog and then the impending loss. It's my 5th over the course of my life. I'm done.

Reaction Score
My son's dog loved his crate when he was a puppy for naps. I've heard the puppy feels safe and protected but other than that I know nothing.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Finally. The worst take of all time.

We haven't gotten Fishy's weird I-was-bitten-by-a-dog-as-a-kid-and/or-I-have-a-crippling-case-of-germophobia-informed take yet, so don't you go handing out awards so fast.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

You can do that for kids, too, you know.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
A puppy that age should never be in a crate for more than 3 hours.

Why are you crate training? To housebreak?
I did that once and never again. Maybe during the day. But a 8 week old puppy misses the warmth of the others. I have three small ones. They are spoiled but, hey, no crying. When my kids were small they used to sneak the pup into there bed. Dog slept all night.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Midnight? I would take them out at 9-9:30. Only if I am watching a game or movie it make t to ten. They sleep all night. What you are reading on this thread is all opinion. A good, loving family could train a dog. We did. We bred Westies and the people could not believe how well mannered.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
This is what has happened lol. I tried every trick online from radio, moving crate into bedroom, everything. Pretty sure the dog is just a nut, so I put him in bed and it looks like he's just going to sleep with us from now on.
Now that's what I am talking about. WTG!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom