OT: Crate Training Puppy | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Crate Training Puppy

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Based on that comment, I’m gonna bet you don’t have kids.

Based on your comment, I'm gonna bet you don't have dogs. See how that works?

I'm going to call you Eeyore from now on. Always negative about everything.

C

Chief00

Would love to know what @Chief00 would do.
I love dogs but wouldn’t have one in the bed. I believe in spending time to train dogs when pups. Wouldn’t crate them either although - my dog I trained not to go upstairs but let it live on first floor at night.
Take it out unleashed to go to the bathroom - it has always stayed on the property with one exception. Again, you must do the work - walk the property line with it - but mostly spend a lot of time outside with the dog and give the dog guidance if it nears the property lines. Admittedly, I am very fortunate, I have a coachable dog that aims to please - most dogs aren’ t that easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Have owned a dozen dogs of different breeds over the last 30 years.
Crate training is, to me, an essential part of dog ownership. I see that some folks are very cautious about time in crate when young. Probably too conservative, but better that than to crate too long. We never had much of an issue, because we've always had multiple dogs. When the new pup comes home, he's got the pack all day, then he goes in the crate at midnight. Most make it through the night pretty soon after. Maybe having other dogs around made a difference. Don't know. Regarding dogs in bed . . . eh. We've had Great Danes and Chihuahuas in bed. Don't really like it. Never lasted more than a few days.
My wife was an ER nurse. Had one man come in with a broken femur. They had a female GSD that slept with them. Guy came back from the bathroom one night and the dog had the wife pinned down and was growling at her neck. Broke his femur tackling the dog off.
Of about 12 dogs, only had 1 that we could never crate train. A reverse brindle boxer. Great looking dog. Great family dog. But had MASSIVE separation anxiety and absolutely loathed his crate. He was born with hyperactive personality. Hard to describe how high strung Chief was. The dog got out one night when my FIL was watching the house. Ended up shot with bird shot through the back of the legs because the local cops thought he was a pit bull. That dog ended up with no teeth because he would chew at the crate or kennel wire when he was in. Hated to see it, but he would wreck the house if he was out. Once, when we let him out, he got into the bathroom where the kitty liter was. Got home, couldn't find him. Turned out he accidentally locked himself in the bathroom trying to get to the kitty treats behind the door. No lights on. In his panic he broke the toilet off the floor and ripped all the clam shell trim off of the door jam. When I opened the door, his entire frothy head was coated with clumping cat liter and he looked like some sort of oatmeal monster dog.

Reaction Score
Based on your comment, I'm gonna bet you don't have dogs. See how that works?

I'm going to call you Eeyore from now on. Always negative about everything.

That’s where you’re wrong. I have owned dogs. Never ever would again. I guess I’m just secure in myself to where I don’t need feigned love when I walk in the door every night like you.

Reaction Score
Oh, puh-lease. For every good, legitimate thing you can say towards owning a dog, I can list 5 that aren't. Maybe 10.
Cheer up, Squidward

You could use a puppy. Something tells me you haven’t received much affection in a long long time, well puppies have infinite supplies

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don’t need feigned love when I walk in the door every night
Somewhere, Mrs. Deepster just breathed a sigh of relief.

Last edited:

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
That’s where you’re wrong. I have owned dogs. Never ever would again. I guess I’m just secure in myself to where I don’t need feigned love when I walk in the door every night like you.

I said "have," as in currently.

I don't know why you feel the need to interject yourself in a conversation about dog training only to dump on people's life choices, but it sure doesn't project security in yourself.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I said "have," as in currently.

I don't know why you feel the need to interject yourself in a conversation about dog training only to dump on people's life choices, but it sure doesn't project security in yourself.

I guess for the same reasons you interject that it’s something so life changing.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I guess for the same reasons you interject that it’s something so life changing.

Huh? I mean, I didn't even say that, but even if I did, it wouldn't be me being a dick, would it?

Glad it made sense to Swami, though. So cool!

Reaction Score
Huh? I mean, I didn't even say that, but even if I did, it wouldn't be me being a dick, would it?

Glad it made sense to Swami, though. So cool!

Awwww, does Nomie need some widdle puppy kisses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom