OT: Corolla/Civic/Sentra/Impreza | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Corolla/Civic/Sentra/Impreza

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Anything but Sentra.

If you are looking for an 8+ year old car, take it to a mechanic first. Lots of engine wear and tear on cars that old.

Finally look at your life and lifestyle. Coupe v. sedan, trunk or hatch, etc.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Try them all except the Sentra, it’s crap. You may want to also consider a Mazda 3. Nice car, more sporty than the other three. If you are overly concerned with snow, a Subaru Crosstrek is essentially a lifted Impreza. Vermont is loaded with those (with snow tires). Also, the Hyundai Elantra is a decent car.

If you were looking new, I think the Civic is nicer than the Corolla, but the Corolla is freaking huge inside. Rode in two this week as an Uber passenger. Bigger than a 90s era Camry.

Good call on Mazsa3, especially the hatchback.

Owned a 2006 Mazda3 for about 5 years until kids got too big.

Great choice.

Reaction Score
what's your budget? not all car model years are equal

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The Boneyard is the worst place for advice.

No one drives a normal car, no one has ever eaten at a chain restaurant, nobody ever drinks a Bud Light.

It’s all BS posturing.

However, if you purchased love potion from a snake oil salesman, there's really no better place to go. For the ridicule you deserve.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Nissan does make some nice cars but Sentras are trash. Miles behind Civic and Corrola and I’d put Elantra ahead of it too.

Edit: Mazda is making great cars right now, too. I test drove a Mazda3 and my only complaint was a cramped cabin

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Exhibit A

Yeah I wouldn’t take my advice based off anecdotal evidence over an entire industry of automotive research.

This feels like a breakthrough for you. You put that together all by yourself (I assume).

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Yeah I wouldn’t take my advice based off anecdotal evidence over an entire industry of automotive research.

This feels like a breakthrough for you. You put that together all by yourself (I assume).
Nope, crowdsourced, benefiting from multiple sources and perspectives, including professional recommendations and resources offered from within a community of generally trustworthy fellow travelers.

The assumptions you make . . .

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Nope, crowdsourced, benefiting from multiple sources and perspectives, including professional recommendations and resources offered from within a community of generally trustworthy fellow travelers.

The assumptions you make . . .

Oh you believe what people post on the internet. Carry on.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Don't worry, not you.

Good start. Now apply that to pretty much everyone almost all of the time and you are on your way.

Once we learn ya the basics you are gonna be a way better internet psychologist.

Reaction Score
2016 Ford Explorer XLT with a new one on the way in 3-4 weeks.

Only reason it may be better it's a company car and I get a new one every 60-70K/2 years and pay very little monthly and nothing for gas/insurance/repairs etc, and even better my wife has a loaded 2018 Rogue which also is a company car and has pretty much the same conveniences, different company. Only downside for me is for the last 30 years the company gives me a list of Fords to pick from so we haven't had much of a change of choices, they don't allow too many prepaid options besides the standard package - I've had Taurus Limited until this Explorer and they were great but they are going away or I would've changed back this time. I have no right to complain but i like cars so would like something nicer. We are going to Barrett-jackson at Mohegan hopefully time for a toy. I will say this my son went to work at my wife company and immediately went on the road to sell but they do not give the sales guys cars just car allowances. We got him an Infinity QX30 - wow what a beautiful little car, great for mileage and runs like a charm while keeping some nice looks for a mini SUV.

Holy crap this wasn’t the right thread I am so sorry this was supposed to be on the car you drive thread my bad. Some replies deserved I guess but now I see the reason. Will delete if I can.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Unfortunately I can't drive stick (yet!), so I'll be missing out on the full experience...still, I would imagine that even with an automatic, it's a much more enjoyable option than the others.

I think the days of the stick shift have passed.

I’ve never owned anything but a stick shift, but we’re looking to buy a new car now and what we’re looking at either doesn’t come in a manual or it would have to be ordered with no guarantee that they will actually allocate line space to make it.

Also, the automatics are so good these days that I don’t know why I would insist on a stick anyway.

Reaction Score
I think the days of the stick shift have passed.

I’ve never owned anything but a stick shift, but we’re looking to buy a new car now and what we’re looking at either doesn’t come in a manual or it would have to be ordered with no guarantee that they will actually allocate line space to make it.

Also, the automatics are so good these days that I don’t know why I would insist on a stick anyway.
Testosterone? At least I think it's my reason.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Good start. Now apply that to pretty much everyone almost all of the time and you are on your way.

Once we learn ya the basics you are gonna be a way better internet psychologist.

"Trust, but verify" still works, even if it predates the web.

And, "we"?? Grumpy meets precious.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
"Trust, but verify" still works, even if it predates the web.

And, "we"?? Grumpy meets precious.

Verifying the claims of anonymous message board posters is gonna be a lot of work - but you seem earnest and diligent enough to do it.

Reaction Score
The Honda CRV is a compact SUV built on a civic platform. It comes in AWD models. from personal experience. Handles essentially as a Civic does.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Verifying the claims of anonymous message board posters is gonna be a lot of work - but you seem earnest and diligent enough to do it.
Your angle, attitude, analysis, and assumptions once again add up to a perfect bullseye for the like-minded.

Reaction Score
Do yourself a favor and buy a car with side airbags and electronic stability control. They were NOT standard features on many of the later models. You need those feature with all the buttholes on the roads. I just bought 2 used cars in the past 6 months. There's tons of good info online...don't just take the advice of the boneheads in the yard (like me).

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
this is where @Fishy asks me about the car place I went to and I tell you to go to Carite

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom