OT: Corolla/Civic/Sentra/Impreza | The Boneyard

OT: Corolla/Civic/Sentra/Impreza

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask given the amount of Beemers and Audis mentioned in the other thread, but...

I'll be purchasing a used car sometime over the next month or two, and it's looking like it'll come down to one of these four options. If folks have experience with any of those models (specifically from model years 2006-2010), any insight you can share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask given the amount of Beemers and Audis mentioned in the other thread, but...

I'll be purchasing a used car sometime over the next month or two, and it's looking like it'll come down to one of these four options. If folks have experience with any of those models (specifically from model years 2006-2010), any insight you can share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Reliability and mpg? Corolla or Civic. Imprezas are pretty good too.

Live in CT/Northeast? Impreza. Subaru’s AWD system is excellent.

If you go with the Corolla or Civic, get snow tires. You could get away with all seasons on the Subbie, but snow tires would be preferred.

If it were me I’d go Impreza for sure.

-Audi/BMW guy

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Reliability and mpg? Corrola or Civc. Imprezas are pretty good too.

Live in CT/Northeast? Impreza. Subaru’s AWD system is excellent.

If you go with the Corolla or Civc, get snow tires. You could get away with all seasons on the Subbie, but snow tires would be preferred.

If it were me I’d go Impreza for sure.

-Audi/BMW guy

I initially didn't think to consider a Subaru. My family's been Nissan/Toyota my whole life, and Honda's reputation for reliability speaks for itself. My old man suggested the Impreza on a whim, and the more I've read the more impressed I become. I will indeed be in CT, so the AWD is a huge plus.

Reaction Score
Subaru's are great - I don't own one, but know many that do in way northern NY, Vermont and Colorado and that's a damn good endorsement of the brand,

There are a few known problems with them that I can't recall off the rip, but will ask a friend who owns an indy subbie shop and pass on his feedback on the problem areas. Nothing to be scared of because all cars have them to some degree.

Reaction Score
I initially didn't think to consider a Subaru. My family's been Nissan/Toyota my whole life, and Honda's reputation for reliability speaks for itself. My old man suggested the Impreza on a whim, and the more I've read the more impressed I become. I will indeed be in CT, so the AWD is a huge plus.

Yep, AWD is the way to go. They are great cars and still relatively reliable. Good thing is they are so common in CT/New England parts can be found everywhere. Definitely would be my pick for a car in that age range and class.

From a driving enthusiast standpoint it’ll be more fun to drive than a civic or corolla from those years. Also the boxer rumble is always nice. It’s also just cooler lol

Reaction Score
If I were to rank them, I'd go:

-Impreza
-Civic
-Corolla
-Sentra

That's just my opinion though. I don't really think you can go wrong per se with any of those options. They should all be rather reliable and fuel efficient. For me, the fact that the Impreza is AWD puts it in first place. The Civic would be a solid choice too though.

I'd imagine insurance costs will all be relatively around the same too.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Use Kelley Blue Book for FMV and carcomplaints.com to evaluate the targets. If you are buying from a dealer, get the carfax, it can tell you a ton like what maintenance has been done and whether it has had any accidents.

Reaction Score
If I were to rank them, I'd go:

-Impreza
-Civic
-Corolla
-Sentra

That's just my opinion though. I don't really think you can go wrong per se with any of those options. They should all be rather reliable and fuel efficient. For me, the fact that the Impreza is AWD puts it in first place. The Civic would be a solid choice too though.

I'd imagine insurance costs will all be relatively around the same too.

Same order for me. The Sentra sucks tbh lol. I had a 2017 base Sentra work rental for a couple weeks and I was not a fan to say the least.

Sentra R’s were pretty fun. A buddy of mine had one and he beat the out of it lol

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
From a driving enthusiast standpoint it’ll be more fun to drive than a civic or corolla from those years. Also the boxer rumble is always nice. It’s also just cooler lol

Unfortunately I can't drive stick (yet!), so I'll be missing out on the full experience...still, I would imagine that even with an automatic, it's a much more enjoyable option than the others.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately I can't drive stick (yet!), so I'll be missing out on the full experience...still, I would imagine that even with an automatic, it's a much more enjoyable option than the others.

Lol don’t worry I drive a DSG Audi. I can drive stick, but I’m only ok. I need more practice. The auto will still handle nicely. AWD grip for dayyyyysss

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Use Kelley Blue Book for FMV and carcomplaints.com to evaluate the targets. If you are buying from a dealer, get the carfax, it can tell you a ton like what maintenance has been done and whether it has had any accidents.

Given the BY's sterling track record with medical and legal advice, I was hoping to keep this strictly in-house...:rolleyes:

In all seriousness, I'll definitely check those out.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately I can't drive stick (yet!), so I'll be missing out on the full experience...
Don't let that hold you back. I bought a manual 2000 Jetta before I could drive stick because the deal was too good to pass up. Had to get my dad to drive it home from the dealership. Taught myself in a few days with the help of Youtube videos and an empty parking lot.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Don't let that hold you back. I bought a manual 2000 Jetta before I could drive stick because the deal was too good to pass up. Had to get my dad to drive it home from the dealership. Taught myself in a few days with the help of Youtube videos and an empty parking lot.

Fair. I may be using it to commute starting very shortly after the purchase, so I'm trying to minimize any potential learning curve.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
No to the Sentra. Just substandard for what you are looking at.

For that time range, I'd bag the Civic too. Several of these years were not Honda's best effort, in terms of needing repairs and what not. And you'll have to pay the Honda premium on top of it.

Go Corolla or Impreza; both good. Corolla has a bit more longevity to the Impreza, generally will need repairs less often, and cheaper maintenance. But if I'm in the North East, I'm probably getting the Subaru. AWD.

Reaction Score
I'm cruising in an '08 Civic most days because it was free and after buying a house I'm attempting to avoid a car payment. It didn't have a ton of miles on it when i got it, but I've been putting about 25k per year now.

Have only had 1 problem in last 3 years, but it was fairly big. Coolant leak in engine (or something like that), but it was something they were aware of and had extended the warranty to 10 years on so i got it fixed for free (happened in year 9, installed new engine block). I think the issue spanned multiple years so maybe don't buy an 06 - 08 Civic if the warranty has expired and the block hasn't been replaced.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Boneyard is the worst place for advice.

No one drives a normal car, no one has ever eaten at a chain restaurant, nobody ever drinks a Bud Light.

It’s all BS posturing.

Reaction Score
The Boneyard is the worst place for advice.

No one drives a normal car, no one has ever eaten at a chain restaurant, nobody ever drinks a Bud Light.

It’s all BS posturing.
Allow me to be your post's foil.

Have had plenty of Bud Light in my day. It's my wife's beer of choice. It is beer flavored water and way too filling. As far as crap beer goes I much prefer Busch Light ask @Robertelamin.

From the Ot: best "chain" restaraunt (sic) thread.

Let's see:

Italian:

Carrabba's>California Pizza Kitchen>Bertucci's>Uno's>Olive Garden

Olive Garden can hardly even be called Italian, I will get down on the soup and salad though. Their only redeeming thing. The kale, sausage and potato soup is pretty good. I even recreated it, put their's to shame mind you, but they did inspire me at least.

Casual:

Maggie McFly's>Brio>Cheesecake Factory>PF Chang's>Ruby Tuesday's>Applebee's>Chili's>TGI Friday's

Haven't been to many of these in a long time, but how I remember it.

Meat and Fish:

Ruth Chris>Chuck's Steakhouse>Texas Roadhouse>Outback>>>>>>>>>>>Red Lobster

For some reason the Red Lobster on the Silas Deane has lines coming out the doors for every dinner service. Gross.

Quick Meals:

Hot Table>Noodles & Co.>Au Bon Pain>Cosi>Panera Bread>Boston Market

Hot Table makes a pretty banging panini for what it is. The rest are just quick, thoughtless meal options.

Mexican:

On the Border>QDoba>Moe's>Puerto Vallarta>Plaza Azteca>Chipotle>Taco Bell

I wish we could get some of the west coast Mexican places over here. Maybe I'm just romanticizing what I believe they would offer, but pretty much all of these places can't make a burrito worth a damn.

Fast Food:

Arby's>Wendy's>McDonald's>Sonic>KFC>Popeye's>Burger King>Long John Silver's

Garbage food.

Subs:

Firehouse>DiBella's>Nardelli's>Blimpie's>Quizno's>DiAngelo's>Subway

Had a Firehouse Sub for the first time the other day, pretty tasty. I can make a better sandwich at home.

Bar Food:

Slider's>Buffalo Wild Wings>Wings Over...>Hooter's

Best wings I ever had were at this place on the Cape who's name escapes me.

Breakfasty:

Mitchell's>Chip's>Denny's>Cracker Barrel>IHOP>Friendly's

Mitchell's Coffee House in Rocky Hill is me and the lady's breakfast place. Save for Friendly's, I gotta say, I'm usually pretty satisfied by the lot of them.

Pizza:

Pizza Hut>Papa John's>Little Caesar's>Papa Gino's>Domino's>Sbarro's

Double garbage. Real pizza places are so easy to find around here, I don't know why anyone would go to any of these.

Burger's:

Five Guy's>BurgerFi>Smashburger>Mooyah>Wayback>Red Robin

Red Robin has the distinction of probably being the worst restaurant I've ever been to.

I drove a Subaru Impreza for years before trading it in for a Ford Focus and miss it everyday. It was a beast in the winter, and although that is reason enough to recommend it over the others, it was also super fun to drive.

Boom.

Reaction Score
Driving a Sentra right now, rental, not impressed. Elantra was better a few weeks ago.

Subaru bases many of its models on the Impreza. Same suspension, base, etc., on Forester and others. I drove a WRX for many years, and now own a Forester. They drive well, handle, have some oomph.

I'd definitely go with the Impreza.

Rare issues to watch out for: 2011-2014s: Excessive oil burning. Subaru has had to replace engine blocks. My Forester had this problem. Doesn't impact performance but it impacts the wallet when you have to refill your oil every 2k. I had the engine replaced by Subaru.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Definitely go Subaru. The AWD system is great and the whole fleet is pretty reliable.

Honda and Toyota are not what they used to be.

Stay as far away from German cars as you can.

-Audi guy

Reaction Score
2016 Ford Explorer XLT with a new one on the way in 3-4 weeks.

Only reason it may be better it's a company car and I get a new one every 60-70K/2 years and pay very little monthly and nothing for gas/insurance/repairs etc, and even better my wife has a loaded 2018 Rogue which also is a company car and has pretty much the same conveniences, different company. Only downside for me is for the last 30 years the company gives me a list of Fords to pick from so we haven't had much of a change of choices, they don't allow too many prepaid options besides the standard package - I've had Taurus Limited until this Explorer and they were great but they are going away or I would've changed back this time. I have no right to complain but i like cars so would like something nicer. We are going to Barrett-jackson at Mohegan hopefully time for a toy. I will say this my son went to work at my wife company and immediately went on the road to sell but they do not give the sales guys cars just car allowances. We got him an Infinity QX30 - wow what a beautiful little car, great for mileage and runs like a charm while keeping some nice looks for a mini SUV.
This seems helpful.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
2016 Ford Explorer XLT with a new one on the way in 3-4 weeks.

Only reason it may be better it's a company car and I get a new one every 60-70K/2 years and pay very little monthly and nothing for gas/insurance/repairs etc, and even better my wife has a loaded 2018 Rogue which also is a company car and has pretty much the same conveniences, different company. Only downside for me is for the last 30 years the company gives me a list of Fords to pick from so we haven't had much of a change of choices, they don't allow too many prepaid options besides the standard package - I've had Taurus Limited until this Explorer and they were great but they are going away or I would've changed back this time. I have no right to complain but i like cars so would like something nicer. We are going to Barrett-jackson at Mohegan hopefully time for a toy. I will say this my son went to work at my wife company and immediately went on the road to sell but they do not give the sales guys cars just car allowances. We got him an Infinity QX30 - wow what a beautiful little car, great for mileage and runs like a charm while keeping some nice looks for a mini SUV.

#humblebrag

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Stain,
Have owned Toyota's and Hondas for 30-40 years.
I'd prefer the Civic and pretty sure Consumer Reports does too. Hassle free ownership and great reliability.
All are good choices. Civic is a little better.
You are probably looking at a trade-off with AWD vs a little better mileage and reliability with the Impreza.

You can do an on-line subscription for a month at CR and see everything there. I'm a fan of CR and that would cost you about $8.

Reaction Score
The advice is already seeming to lead you this way but a little more information can't hurt. I have a 14 Impreza and it has served me well. I'm not a big car guy but I have never had an issue with the car and its a lot of fun to drive. As mentioned, the car is a killer in the snow. I have managed completely fine driving in some treacherous situations on some unwieldy roads in Easton and Redding.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Try them all except the Sentra, it’s crap. You may want to also consider a Mazda 3. Nice car, more sporty than the other three. If you are overly concerned with snow, a Subaru Crosstrek is essentially a lifted Impreza. Vermont is loaded with those (with snow tires). Also, the Hyundai Elantra is a decent car.

If you were looking new, I think the Civic is nicer than the Corolla, but the Corolla is freaking huge inside. Rode in two this week as an Uber passenger. Bigger than a 90s era Camry.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom