OT. Come on America get with it! | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT. Come on America get with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sometimes the truth is hard to swallow.
Well, truth has absolutely nothing to do with telling other people what they should or shouldn’t enjoy! Unintelligent arrogance, yes. Truth, no.

Reaction Score
Needs better rules. The "offsides" rule is totally ridiculous. If you're fast enough and clever enough to get behind the defense and score a goal, so be it! Why penalize faster players? Why split hairs about whether a player was a fraction of an inch ahead of the defensive player before scoring a goal? For that matter, why penalize the offensive player at all? The most exciting play in American football is "the bomb": One player running fast enough downfield and outsprinting the defense to score a touchdown. Why is that not permitted in soccer? Dumb rule that slows down the game, reduces scoring, and makes it more boring than it should be.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Needs better rules. The "offsides" rule is totally ridiculous. If you're fast enough and clever enough to get behind the defense and score a goal, so be it! Why penalize faster players? Why split hairs about whether a player was a fraction of an inch ahead of the defensive player before scoring a goal? For that matter, why penalize the offensive player at all? The most exciting play in American football is "the bomb": One player running fast enough downfield and outsprinting the defense to score a touchdown. Why is that not permitted in soccer? Dumb rule that slows down the game, reduces scoring, and makes it more boring than it should be.
By that logic they should get rid of the offside call in US football as well. Why penalize the offense for just the slightest twitch of a hand that I can't even see when I'm up in the nosebleeds?

While we're at it, get rid of illegal alignment! Let anyone be an eligible receiver!

And let's get rid of that pesky offensive pass interference call. What a buzzkill.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
' The "offsides" rule is totally ridiculous.'
this. 1000% this.
ok, perfect opportunity for a teaching moment, as in 'can one of youse futbolistas here explain to me the logic for this offsides stuff in goal sports?'
i don't like it, but at least i can understand why in beisbol, bunting a ball foul with 2 strikes is an automatic out, while batting a ball foul with 2 strikes is not. a time thing as i figger it, with the idea being that it's far easier to bunt ball after ball foul, and at bats could go on forever. i don't think that's true (why has bunting become sort of a lost art today in the pros? mebbe it's actually hard?), but i get it.
obviously, in real manly man football, being offside when the ball is dead makes complete sense in not giving anyone an advantage.
dead ball.
so why, in goal sports, is live ball offsides a thing? i don't get it.
so, the player is faster, smarter, or mebbe luckier, and gets behind enemy lines, but becuz the ball/puck/whatever is behind him, he gets a penalty for being better?
won't all goal sports be better with more offense, as the viewer is less likely to experience, so common in those games, where after watching for hours, they miss a 20 second moment when a goal happens, yet they had to answer the phone, turn down the temp on a roast, or head into the bedroom to make sure that their dopey dog isn't chewing up another pair of shoes?
long stretches of nothing happening only belongs in fishing and hunting, cuz when something good finally happens, at least u can eat it.
i don't get it.
i hang up and listen, and please, no phd dissertations or lengthy beagle briefs that can be mind numbingly boring.

that's my job. lol.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

' The "offsides" rule is totally ridiculous.'
this. 1000% this.
ok, perfect opportunity for a teaching moment, as in 'can one of youse futbolistas here explain to me the logic for this offsides stuff in goal sports?'
i don't like it, but at least i can understand why in beisbol, bunting a ball foul with 2 strikes is an automatic out, while batting a ball foul with 2 strikes is not. a time thing as i figger it, with the idea being that it's far easier to bunt ball after ball foul, and at bats could go on forever. i don't think that's true (why has bunting become sort of a lost art today in the pros? mebbe it's actually hard?), but i get it.
obviously, in real manly man football, being offside when the ball is dead makes complete sense in not giving anyone an advantage.
dead ball.
so why, in goal sports, is live ball offsides a thing? i don't get it.
so, the player is faster, smarter, or mebbe luckier, and gets behind enemy lines, but becuz the ball/puck/whatever is behind him, he gets a penalty for being better?
won't all goal sports be better with more offense, as the viewer is less likely to experience, so common in those games, where after watching for hours, they miss a 20 second moment when a goal happens, yet they had to answer the phone, turn down the temp on a roast, or head into the bedroom to make sure that their dopey dog isn't chewing up another pair of shoes?
long stretches of nothing happening only belongs in fishing and hunting, cuz when something good finally happens, at least u can eat it.
i don't get it.
i hang up and listen, and please, no phd dissertations or lengthy beagle briefs that can be mind numbingly boring.

that's my job. lol.
Well the offside law is actually a pretty good idea. It's not really being implemented very well with VAR now though (but that's a whole other issue). The idea behind it is to prevent goal hanging. Without it football would just descend into a bunch of big tall attackers surrounded by a bunch of big tall defenders with each team punting long balls into the box hoping something happens.

Also, the offside law does nothing to prevent a faster, smarter player from using that advantage to score goals. It's actually decidedly to the advantage of quicker faster, smarter players...rather than big behemoths who just hang out around the goal area waiting for the ball. Attackers do get in behind the defense quite often, they just have to be smart enough (timing their runs) or faster to do it.

There certainly could be some tweaks to the offside law to create more offense. I personally would like to see the attacker have to be completely in an offside position, instead of just a partial head, torso, foot as it is now. Make it easier to time the runs.

A couple things about scoring. There are more to watching/enjoying sports than scoring. There isn't scoring on every play in gridiron football. What about a sack, an interception? What about a 22 yd sweep? A 3 and 12 and they get a 1st down? Those can be exciting.

Secondly, you just get more points for scoring in gridiron, 6 instead of 1. Plus you can get extra points and points for not actually getting into the endzone. Does 21-14 or 14-7 sound better than 3-2 or 2-1?

Association Football, Gridiron Football, Rugby Football, Australian Rules Football, are all forms of Football. They have many, many similarities.

Reaction Score
Well the offside law is actually a pretty good idea. It's not really being implemented very well with VAR now though (but that's a whole other issue). The idea behind it is to prevent goal hanging. Without it football would just descend into a bunch of big tall attackers surrounded by a bunch of big tall defenders with each team punting long balls into the box hoping something happens.

Also, the offside law does nothing to prevent a faster, smarter player from using that advantage to score goals. It's actually decidedly to the advantage of quicker faster, smarter players...rather than big behemoths who just hang out around the goal area waiting for the ball. Attackers do get in behind the defense quite often, they just have to be smart enough (timing their runs) or faster to do it.

There certainly could be some tweaks to the offside law to create more offense. I personally would like to see the attacker have to be completely in an offside position, instead of just a partial head, torso, foot as it is now. Make it easier to time the runs.

A couple things about scoring. There are more to watching/enjoying sports than scoring. There isn't scoring on every play in gridiron football. What about a sack, an interception? What about a 22 yd sweep? A 3 and 12 and they get a 1st down? Those can be exciting.

Secondly, you just get more points for scoring in gridiron, 6 instead of 1. Plus you can get extra points and points for not actually getting into the endzone. Does 21-14 or 14-7 sound better than 3-2 or 2-1?

Association Football, Gridiron Football, Rugby Football, Australian Rules Football, are all forms of Football. They have many, many similarities.

Like this idea. This is the one situation I don't like where the rule has to be applied.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

thanks for the attempt, but i still don't get it. somehow, resting on 'big tall attackers' hanging around the goal as the thing to avoid sounds weak. and yet 'faster, smarter attackers' are good and to be rewarded?
why one phenotype should be denigrated while another phenotype is to be 'approved?' we're not all the same physically, and rules preventing certain of us not to use that to our advantage in a game makes no sense. that is categorically not how reality works. it's a jungle out there.
once upon a time, hoops banned dunking for only one reason, Kareem Abdul Jabbar. they thought that he was too tall with skilz. dumb. and now, gone from the rule book.
in fact, it's mostly a feature, and not a bug in that game to be one of those unusually gifted giant humans who can stand near the hoop, and dunk it down. often, those speedy smart types of shorter players get near the hoop, only to have one of those giants send the shot into the seats. the shorties are forced to be better, faster, craftier. fair play.

of course, your thought on the value of a goal, 1 v. 6 points, is wholly correct. i often read a football score like that - 35-28 loosely means 5 goals to 4, as a better way of figgering out what a score on a game i didn't see actually means. heck, in baseball, i often read a 6-1 game as 42 -7, ie, a blowout. a lot of soccer matches seem to have scores like
2-1, which translates in to 14-7. usually not exciting for the likes of me in the football game, either. i know, i know, 'the d!' thing. meh. im an offensive sort of person. just not interested in watching for hours, with nothing material actually happening.

signed, a member of the big and tall bunch who nows feels somehow prejudiced (equal rights!) by this. i used to be faster, and smarter, but all that steadily is slip sliding away. at least u can't take away my 35 inch inseam. i'll have that until i get a lot older, when it seems rather common to start shrinking.

'im an offensive sort of person.' lol.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Needs better rules. The "offsides" rule is totally ridiculous.
I know this sounds picky, but it's "offside", not "offsides". Sorry just a pet peeve :oops:

I'm reposting this article since it's directly germane to the criticisms:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
thanks for the attempt, but i still don't get it. somehow,
Obviously.

. somehow, resting on 'big tall attackers' hanging around the goal as the thing to avoid sounds weak. and yet 'faster, smarter attackers' are good and to be rewarded?
why one phenotype should be denigrated while another phenotype is to be 'approved?' we're not all the same physically, and rules preventing certain of us not to use that to our advantage in a game makes no sense. that is categorically not how reality works. it's a jungle out there.
1. I didn't denigrate any group.
2. You brought up smarter, quicker players, I was just responding to the fact the offside law didn't adversely affect them. Quite to the contrary, it helps them. Now if a player is smarter, quicker, faster and bigger....helps them even more.
3. soccer allows for both tall and small players (e.g. Lionel Messi 5-7, Erling Haaland 6-4, among the best players in the world) (doesn't have a lot of room for slow, fat players though, so it is a bit prejudiced that way)

once upon a time, hoops banned dunking for only one reason, Kareem Abdul Jabbar. they thought that he was too tall with skilz. dumb. and now, gone from the rule book.
in fact, it's mostly a feature, and not a bug in that game to be one of those unusually gifted giant humans who can stand near the hoop, and dunk it down. often, those speedy smart types of shorter players get near the hoop, only to have one of those giants send the shot into the seats. the shorties are forced to be better, faster, craftier.

Hmmmm, you know, especially on here, some people who no longer watch NBA site "dunking" as one of the reasons the sport has gone boring for them.

The real point of the offside law, and obviously you've missed this, is without it, there would be less scoring and for those that don't appreciate the sport make it even more "boring".

It always amazes me that people who don't like a sport, or watch a sport, or know much about a sport, always have ideas on how to "make it better".

Reaction Score
I know how to make Quidditch more exciting. I won’t say because it will just lead to more bickering.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I’ve read on the yard a few people talking down about “the beautiful game”. Come on people, get with it. The world can’t have it wrong.
Oh Mdoggie, I have bad news for you. In 15-20 years the world's game will be football, not fútbol. The NFL is marketing internationally. See article below about Maria Rodriguez with the Pittsburgh Steelers and her role in the spread of the NFL fútbol americano. Actually a cool story about a kid from Honduras who attends TCU and gets hooked on sports. She gets an internship with the Steelers at just the right time with the right linguistic skills, personality, work ethic, smarts, etc.

Reaction Score
Oh Mdoggie, I have bad news for you. In 15-20 years the world's game will be football, not fútbol. The NFL is marketing internationally. See article below about Maria Rodriguez with the Pittsburgh Steelers and her role in the spread of the NFL fútbol americano. Actually a cool story about a kid from Honduras who attends TCU and gets hooked on sports. She gets an internship with the Steelers at just the right time with the right linguistic skills, personality, work ethic, smarts, etc.
Bad news for you SVC, basketball has a better chance at displacing fútbol as the worlds game before football ever will. However I don’t believe either will happen. The beautiful game reigns supreme!

Reaction Score
LOL!!! The world can be, and as it happens, they ARE wrong. People having been talking up soccer taking over the US for DECADES and it goes nowhere.

Reaction Score
World vs US. Fútbol footprint in the US has increased thus causing the world footprint to grow. See how that works?

Reaction Score
The most boring sport which really does not require its competitors to be in any physical shape is Curling. Playing a YouTube Curling match in the late evening puts us to sleep faster and more soundly than any medicine.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
thanks for the attempt, but i still don't get it. somehow, resting on 'big tall attackers' hanging around the goal as the thing to avoid sounds weak. and yet 'faster, smarter attackers' are good and to be rewarded?

'im an offensive sort of person.' lol.
I touched on this early on, but I feel the need to repeat myself. So, in Ice Hockey, there is a Blue Line. This is to prevent goal hangers. The player with the puck has to be the first one in the zone. (oversimplified) Indoor Soccer has adopted this rule, the outdoor offside rule wouldn't work. In Basketball, you could choose to have a basket hanger, but that would leave you vulnerable on defense, and it would take long, accurate, difficult passes to take advantage.

So let's look at Outdoor Soccer. The NASL ran in the United States from 1968 - 1984, and included many stars like Pele, and one of my favorites George Best. Instead of the common Offside rule, they incorporated a 35 yard line which worked the same as the Blue line in Hockey. This worked well, players adjusted, and I think there was more scoring, but don't have the statistics. I also don't know if they are still using this modification anywhere today.

This is just my suggestion to make the games more interesting. Although purists would say I'm just beating a dead horse.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Wasn't there a short clip many years ago when Muggsy Bogues (about 5 '+, 130 lbs)
charged into Tree Rollins (about 7', 250 lbs) and Tree fell back about 10 feet?
Yes! There was short clip titled, "The Origin of Flopping." ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom