OT: Cincy-Steelers Game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Cincy-Steelers Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I was worried about Kevin Ollie's late game moves recently, but after watching Marvin Lewis, now I'm pretty much fine with them.

Keep up the good work, Kev!

Reaction Score
Exactly, or offsetting. Don't understand how Joey Porter was simply allowed to be on the field talking smack.
On the field to tend to Antonio Brown, but spent more time jawing with Bengals players. Somebody tell Porter he's a coach now.

Reaction Score
I still have no idea what I just saw. I was rooting hard for the Steelers but ai think the Bengals just got bent over more than any team I've ever seen. Two penalties called to give the Steelers a chip shot field goal and the win. I really dislike the Bengals and like the Steelers but this is just wrong. Players and a team getting screwed over all off of reputation and the announcers don't even comment in it. I would be breaking things if I was a Bengals fan. Now Boomer Esiason is saying how disgusting the Bengals are and Burfict should never be allowed on the field again.

The Burfict hit had to be called given the way the rules are now. I hate that something like that decided the game, but they're taught to call it that way.

The demonizing of Burfict and Jones by the media is misplaced and simply irresponsible.

Reaction Score
Burfict led with his shoulder but I saw two other plays like that during the game and the one where the Steelers defender lowered his helmet and speared Bernard was worse with no penalty, Steelers actually got the ball off a fumble as Bernard lay close to motionless on the field. I can see it being a penalty but to throw another 15 yarder on top of it as punk Joey Porter was antagonizing punk Pacman Jones is just ridiculous and ended the game. I can't stand the Bengals and think several of their players have been out of control in the past but two penalties on that to give the kicker a chip shot and the win is just wrong in my opinion. If those players went by other names I highly doubt the refs decide the game like that, it reminds me of how Rasheed Wallace was treated by NBA refs off of his rep. Now I get to hear a bunch of holier than tbough people spouting off about what animals Burfict and Jones are and how they should never be allowed to play again.

Reaction Score
If I were a bengals fan of be looking for a new team right about now. If you can't win that game then there's no hope.

Reaction Score
The Bengals have nobody to blame themselves. First, Hill fumbled. If he held onto the ball, the game was pretty much over. Then the two losers of the Bengals, Burfict and Jones, decide to be idiots and turn a 65 yard FG into a 35 yard FG. That loss is on them.

Reaction Score
For completely selfish reasons, I was rooting for the Bengals to win because I felt there's a better chance of the Patriots beating the Bengals than Kansas City. Now it looks like Denver has a cakewalk against Pittsburgh if Ben is not able to play, which means if the Patriots beat the Chiefs, they will have to go to mile high to beat the Broncos.

The more I watched the end of that game, the more I begin to hate the Bengals even more. They deserve what they got. Why they were running some high risk runs in traffic instead of just running into the pile and getting down and kicking a field goal is beyond me. Many will point to the targeting hit to a defenseless receiver penalty and the other personal foul penalty as the reasons why they lost the game, but it was that fumble and the decision behind it which lost the game for them. They are still the bungles.

Reaction Score
The Bengals have nobody to blame themselves. First, Hill fumbled. If he held onto the ball, the game was pretty much over. Then the two losers of the Bengals, Burfict and Jones, decide to be idiots and turn a 65 yard FG into a 35 yard FG. That loss is on them.

Yep they effed it up themselves for sure.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Im more amazed by how Marvin Lewis is still coaching in the NFL. This guy has won absolutely nothing and has been mired in mediocrity his whole career. The Bengals are loaded with talent and for the last 3 years they have nothing to show for it. Lewis is to blame as the Bengals are always among the most penalized teams in the league. It begins and ends with him. Dont get how this guy still has a job.

Lewis is criminally overrated, but he did a pretty nice job this year. They were playing without their starting QB for a while now, which is a tough thing to do in todays NFL.

Never learned how to reign in his guys though. Same problem Rex has.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Whether he lead with the the shoulder is irrelevant in this context. You simply can't hit a defenseless receiver in the head. Antonio brown barely grazed the football, landed, took two steps and got his head taken off. Realistically, Burfict should have just run by him. You can see in the replay that Burfict knows Brown doesn't have the ball, and just lines him up. Do I think he was trying to take him out by the head? No. Do I think he was trying to get a little shot off? Absolutely.

Reaction Score
I'm not convinced he was even trying to make contact. Obviously, he was bracing himself to break up the play, but it isn't as if Burfict is lurking back there waiting to take a dead ball shot in that spot.

I agree the problem is the refs have to make a split second decision and go by what they see and not by what the player was trying to do. You don't wanna put the refs in that position to have to make a call in that situation.

Reaction Score
It wasn't even about the penalties, why on earth is hill fighting for extra yards in that weather? All the had to do was run three times and kick a field goal and force PITT to score a td.

The penalties were absurd and even the fans were begging for a penalty by throwing stuff on the field. That was an ugly loss and it's going to leave a bad taste in they mouth this off season.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Lost in all of the nonsense was this gem, probably the greatest playoff game catch ever:

David Tyree? 2011? changed the outcome of destiny

Reaction Score
I still have no idea what I just saw. I was rooting hard for the Steelers but ai think the Bengals just got bent over more than any team I've ever seen. Two penalties called to give the Steelers a chip shot field goal and the win. I really dislike the Bengals and like the Steelers but this is just wrong. Players and a team getting screwed over all off of reputation and the announcers don't even comment in it. I would be breaking things if I was a Bengals fan. Now Boomer Esiason is saying how disgusting the Bengals are and Burfict should never be allowed on the field again.
Not sure what you were watching, but those two calls were not based on reputation. Burfict almost beheaded Brown, who was completely defenseless. Complain about the rule book if you'd like, but that was absolutely the correct call, and frankly, could have resulted in an ejection as well. Whether or not Porter should have been on the field, Pacman pushed him right in front of the ref, and that crap is also going to get called, particularly in the heat of the moment with emotions running very high. If anything, the refs could be criticized for letting it get out of hand, but again, Pacman couldn't control his emotions....I don't think the ref had the time to think "ooh, that's Pacman that did that....I'm going to flag him because of his reputation." Steelers fans could also argue the unsportsmanlike shouldn't have been called on their coach when he pushed Nelson on the sideline....not to mention the fact that they were robbed of a TD on the Bernard play by an inadvertent whistled. Which would have made it 22-0 and the ending would never have happened.

All that said, karma is a bitch for the Bengals and look what happened: Hill, who looked like an absolute idiot after he scored the TD, lays the ball on the ground inexplicably at the end. Burfict, who did things on that field last night that could be considered criminal, takes a completely out of control and uncalled for penalty at the worst time. And Pacman.....ah yes, Pacman.....was Pacman at the most inopportune time possible. That team was completely out of control last night, and it ultimately cost them the game. They have no one to blame but themselves.

Reaction Score
Im more amazed by how Marvin Lewis is still coaching in the NFL. This guy has won absolutely nothing and has been mired in mediocrity his whole career. The Bengals are loaded with talent and for the last 3 years they have nothing to show for it. Lewis is to blame as the Bengals are always among the most penalized teams in the league. It begins and ends with him. Dont get how this guy still has a job.
To understand why Lewis is still there, you have to remember how the Bengals were maybe the worst team in the league, for well over a decade. They were as bad as Tampa before Dungy, despite drafting high every year. Lewis came in and put a stop to that. That said, after a while, a new face is probably needed, and Lewis probably needs a new situation, just like Tom Coughlin. Cincy could really screw up by hiring an unknown. Coughlin would be a perfect fit there, while Lewis wouldn't be a bad fit in Cleveland. Look at Andy Reid. He went as far as he could in Philly, and has been reinvigorated in KC. Philly, on the other hand, didn't help themselves with the coaching change.

Reaction Score
This is not the way to remember your last game of the season (and before suspension):

635879849966702883-010916-STEELERS-BENGALS-KE-2132-1.jpg

Reaction Score
The calls were the right calls. Don't give the passion of the game crap either, a punk is a punk no matter where he is. Bengals have too many!

Reaction Score
I honestly think the Burfict hit was incidental. It's easy to depict him as a loose cannon in slow-mo, given his reputation, but there is absolutely no way he intended to deliver a head shot in that situation. Sometimes the 'hit to the head' is as simple as a receiver moving 20 MPH and contorting his body at the last second.

Football the way we knew it is dead and it's never coming back. I'm teetering on the edge of not watching anymore.

These rules have to be there. Look at Antonio Brown, he probably isn't even playing next week. I think these concussions are major issues. Hit them in the body. It is pretty simple. Don't go in for the kill. Does it help the passing game? Of course, but there's no point to having multiple careers end early. The players are now too big and too fast for head shots.

Reaction Score
Lost in all of the nonsense was this gem, probably the greatest playoff game catch ever:

Except it wasn't a catch. Incomplete. The ball was still moving when his first foot left the end zone. Should have been incomplete.

Reaction Score
On the field to tend to Antonio Brown, but spent more time jawing with Bengals players. Somebody tell Porter he's a coach now.

I think that was a clear penalty. You're missing a couple things before that. Burfict is in Porter's face here, but the whole video would show Burfict chucking Porter in the back and sending him into Jones. That was deserving of a penalty itself. But when Jones climbed over the back of the refs, what do you expect the ref to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom