OT: Cincy-Steelers Game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Cincy-Steelers Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Both teams deserved to lose. As I wrote in the NFL Playoffs thread, the Steelers are not a very good team.

Reaction Score
I think that was a clear penalty. You're missing a couple things before that. Burfict is in Porter's face here, but the whole video would show Burfict chucking Porter in the back and sending him into Jones. That was deserving of a penalty itself. But when Jones climbed over the back of the refs, what do you expect the ref to do?
Wasn't disagreeing with the penalty - ref had to throw the flag at that point. Just don't think Porter should've been allowed to do that - and the NFL agreed afterwards as he is getting fined.

Reaction Score
I think that was a clear penalty. You're missing a couple things before that. Burfict is in Porter's face here, but the whole video would show Burfict chucking Porter in the back and sending him into Jones. That was deserving of a penalty itself. But when Jones climbed over the back of the refs, what do you expect the ref to do?
Ridiculous penalty. I wanted the Steelers but the NFL should be embarrassed by the way this game ended. I'll still watch but I'm liking the NFL less and less.

Reaction Score
Refs should have thrown a flag the minute Porter stepped on the field then the whole Jones penalty doesn't occur. So basically gave the Steelers 30 yards.

Steelers, Tomlin, Big Ben, Steeler fans (50% have never been to Pittsburgh or a game) have overtaken the Cowboys, Yankees and Duke as the least likeable team in Anerican sports.

The calls were the right calls. Don't give the passion of the game crap either, a punk is a punk no matter where he is. Bengals have too many!

Reaction Score
Except it wasn't a catch. Incomplete. The ball was still moving when his first foot left the end zone. Should have been incomplete.
Perhaps but what ref in the world wouldn't reward a player that catch? Sometimes the acrobatics skewer judgement. Happens in all sports, refs can be awed (i.e. distracted) too.

Reaction Score
Perhaps but what ref in the world wouldn't reward a player that catch? Sometimes the acrobatics skewer judgement. Happens in all sports, refs can be awed (i.e. distracted) too.

I have no problem. I don't think it was a huge miscarriage. But there is something I don't like about it. All replay decisions are made by a proven liar: Blandino. I really don't trust that guy.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Ridiculous penalty. I wanted the Steelers but the NFL should be embarrassed by the way this game ended. I'll still watch but I'm liking the NFL less and less.

I just can't believe you and champs don't think the Burfict hit was a penalty. That's one of the worst hits I've seen in years. His intent is irrelevant when he knocks a defensive receiver, who doesn't even have the ball. A 350 pound lineman could have avoided making contact with Brown.

Reaction Score
I just can't believe you and champs don't think the Burfict hit was a penalty. That's one of the worst hits I've seen in years. His intent is irrelevant when he knocks a defensive receiver, who doesn't even have the ball. A 350 pound lineman could have avoided making contact with Brown.
I've come around on that being okay as a penalty but I saw a couple shots I thought were worse in the same game, one being the hit on Giovanni Bernard that wasn't even flagged and the Steelers ended up with the ball. The Adam Jones penalty is a travesty in my opinion, if you are going to throw a flag there Porter needs to be flagged too so the penalties off set, even my Steelers friend said that.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I've come around on that being okay as a penalty but I saw a couple shots I thought were worse in the same game, one being the hit on Giovanni Bernard that wasn't even flagged and the Steelers ended up with the ball. The Adam Jones penalty is a travesty in my opinion, if you are going to throw a flag there Porter needs to be flagged too so the penalties off set, even my Steelers friend said that.

Oh, you'll get my agreement that the refs are pretty sh_t as far as penalty calling goes. The problem, as you allude to, is that it's never consistent. I'd love to see it regulated via reply ex post facto. I agree the Jones penalty was weak. If I'm a ref, I'm probably throwing offseting penalties there.

But let's face it, the Bengals did it to themselves. Feel bad for the running back though, because as much as he can't fumble there, the defender made one hell of a play. The ball carrier had the ball pretty well secured (not perfect, but good). Defender just came out on top.

Sucks for Brown too though. I don't see how he can be allowed to play next week. He was clearly knocked out for a brief moment. You could see by what happened with his arms, limp out in front with no bracing. It looked like a guy getting hit in MMA/boxing. I'm not 100% on the concussion protocol, so who knows.

Reaction Score
These rules have to be there. Look at Antonio Brown, he probably isn't even playing next week. I think these concussions are major issues. Hit them in the body. It is pretty simple. Don't go in for the kill. Does it help the passing game? Of course, but there's no point to having multiple careers end early. The players are now too big and too fast for head shots.

Try hitting a moving target. It's not easy. A defensive back comes in to break up a pass with his shoulder, and suddenly, what he thinks is the chest is now the head. Happens all the time.

Football has been promoted and glorified as a collision sport for decades. I agree that the most important thing is to eliminate or at least greatly minimize head injuries, but I don't think there is any way to do that without radically changing the game we knew.

Reaction Score
Try hitting a moving target. It's not easy. A defensive back comes in to break up a pass with his shoulder, and suddenly, what he thinks is the chest is now the head. Happens all the time.

Football has been promoted and glorified as a collision sport for decades. I agree that the most important thing is to eliminate or at least greatly minimize head injuries, but I don't think there is any way to do that without radically changing the game we knew.

He really put his shoulder into him, had time to avoid him.

Even the Bernard thing should have been a penalty based on the much older rule (before the "defenseless receiver" rule) of leading with the crown of the helmet. Shazier went in with the crown. His head should have been up.

Reaction Score
Oh, you'll get my agreement that the refs are pretty sh_t as far as penalty calling goes. The problem, as you allude to, is that it's never consistent. I'd love to see it regulated via reply ex post facto. I agree the Jones penalty was weak. If I'm a ref, I'm probably throwing offseting penalties there.

But let's face it, the Bengals did it to themselves. Feel bad for the running back though, because as much as he can't fumble there, the defender made one hell of a play. The ball carrier had the ball pretty well secured (not perfect, but good). Defender just came out on top.

Sucks for Brown too though. I don't see how he can be allowed to play next week. He was clearly knocked out for a brief moment. You could see by what happened with his arms, limp out in front with no bracing. It looked like a guy getting hit in MMA/boxing. I'm not 100% on the concussion protocol, so who knows.

I blame Marvin Lewis there. The RB needs both arm around the ball as he runs straight forward into the line like a fullback. He actually took his arm off the ball to make a cut.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

I don't disagree with the 2nd paragraph, but there was a relatively appreciable amount of time for Burfict to see (which he did) that Brown missed the ball, and avoid him. Burfict lines him up two steps before when he can see Brown doesn't have the ball At worst, Burfict could have dove to the right. Remember, this is a guy with tremendous athleticism, not hard for him to juke left.

Burfict decided to give him a little pop, probably not deliberately aiming at his head. But it was stupid. Although, it may have been on purpose, this is the guy we are talking about after all (play from last week):

Reaction Score
Wasn't disagreeing with the penalty - ref had to throw the flag at that point. Just don't think Porter should've been allowed to do that - and the NFL agreed afterwards as he is getting fined.

Which means he should have been flagged, which means they don't have a chip shot field goal at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom