OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread | Page 81 | The Boneyard

OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

Tottenham+2014-15+Away+Kit.jpg

Now that is a good looking home and away kit....Come On You Spurrrrrsssss! (hopefully it's the real deal, as it was leaked and club has not formally showed them off yet).
Those kits are rather dull and the sponsor logo looks ironed on. If you wanna spiffy kits see Swansea. (On phone so can't get image). Actually I'm not a fan of current kits, loved two years ago kits

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Arsenal was supposedly looking to add Olympiakos's CB Manolas but that got shot down by the top Arsenal website yesterday. He can be had for relatively cheaply. Juventus, Man. United, Bayern Munich and Liverpool are also said to be interested. If I had to guess, my bet is Juventus is the top bidder.
I suppose Arsenal is still waiting to see what Vermaelen will do.

Reaction Score
Reason I'm an Arsenal fan-Dennis Bergkamp, one of the smoothest, classiest players I've ever watched play. Thierry Henry made rooting for them even easier, and I hope Mesut Ozil can re-find himself, liked him since the 2010 World Cup.

Reaction Score
Suarez was incredible last year. I agree. I don't get it at all.

Eh, he clearly wanted out. Between not wanting to be there and the biting, it probably wasn't the hardest decision LFC has had to make. But it's definitely a pretty big blow to the team.

Reaction Score
Um you can't be open minded about Arsenal and Tottenham. That's like being open minded about the RedSox and Yankees, Michigan and Ohio State, Auburn and Alabama. If you choose one you have to hate the other. :cool:
Correct, there cannot be any fence sitting on Arsenal/Tottenham, if there is then you're not really a fan of either team.
On that note, here are the top rivalries across the Premiereship:
- North London derby - as mentioned Arsenal v Tottenham. Emirates and White Hart Lane (their two stadiums) are only a few miles apart from one another. The fans don't get on, neither do the teams.
- London derby Chelsea v Arsenal and to a slightly lesser degree Chelsea v Tottenham. The top clubs in London, as well as the League, all finishing in the top 5 of the table the past 5 years or so.
- West London derby Chelsea v QPR - not played as frequently as QPR has not been a consistent presence in the top flight, but they are back this season.
- Merseyside derby Everton v Liverpool - both clubs based in Liverpool, a big rivalry but not the same animosity in the stands as other derby's. Great match environment (at lesat on TV it comes across that way)
- Manchester derby City v United - has turned up in intensity the past 4 years as City has opened up the checkbook and become a top club
- Liverpool v Man U
- Tyne-wear derby Newcastle v Sunderland
- Swansea v Cardiff - this is a very heated rivalry in the stands. The fan bases despise one another.
-Aston Villa v West Brom

There are some other great rivalries with teams in different divisions, that generally only occur if drawn v one another in FA Cup or Cap One Cup play.

Reaction Score
Those kits are rather dull and the sponsor logo looks ironed on. If you wanna spiffy kits see Swansea. (On phone so can't get image). Actually I'm not a fan of current kits, loved two years ago kits
I think I know the one you are referring to. Had the 32 Red logo across the chest. I like Spurs older shirts as well, from 3 years ago or so, but this years Spurs shirt is a big improvement over last years, IMO.

Here's Swansea's 14/15 shirts.
th
th

Reaction Score
So on a side note. Since it seems like more and more people here wanna watch and root for an EPL team, where are we gonna take this convo after the season starts? No point bothering the non-soccer fans here and I respect their right to not see the thread pop up to the top. I'd love to have this convo continue, no matter what league you follow, carry over to maybe the Pro-Sports board? Any thoughts?

I tried Prem fantasy soccer last year on Yahoo and ESPN, not a huge fan. However, if someone was interested I'd start up a group. I'd really like to see us continue talking soccer once the season starts. I'm open to thoughts! It's been great to see non-frequent football posters participate as well.

Just make a soccer board here.

Reaction Score
The Boneyard has already carved out a niche on the internet for conference realignment, this could also be the place where college sports fans come to talk soccer. Not a terrible idea.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm a Swansea fan and they are a good team to follow. I agree with Subba that Everton is not a bad choice and won't be relegated anytime soon. I actually like the Swansea blogger for ESPN. I believe his name is Maxwell Hicks. Swansea does things their way and assuming they hold on to Michu or Bony, should be safe from relegation again this year. Unfortunately, their way means not splurging on big named players. So if you like small market teams that do it right, Swansea is a personal favorite for me. Plus, with NBC Extra Time you can watch every one of their games live. Their home crowd is awesome!

Not that anyone gives a damn but after a few days of research I've narrowed it down to West Brom and Swansea.

West Brom already looks to need a miracle to not be relegated so think I can just roll with both and have both divisons covered next year.

I will keep tabs on Leicester City too, they seem to have a decent community around them.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Not that anyone gives a damn but after a few days of research I've narrowed it down to West Brom and Swansea.

West Brom already looks to need a miracle to not be relegated so think I can just roll with both and have both divisons covered next year.

I will keep tabs on Leicester City too, they seem to have a decent community around them.
Welcome aboard! It'll be interesting to see the style of play Swansea go to this year. The past two seasons it was very similar to many Spanish teams in terms of passing and possession but that was a result of them bringing aboard Michael Laudrup and many Spanish players. After sacking him half way through last season, we'll see how many stick around and what Gary Monk's style will be. Verdict is still out on how he'll fare as a manager. However, seeing how he's Swansea through and through, they'll give him time.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Welcome aboard! It'll be interesting to see the style of play Swansea go to this year. The past two seasons it was very similar to many Spanish teams in terms of passing and possession but that was a result of them bringing aboard Michael Laudrup and many Spanish players. After sacking him half way through last season, we'll see how many stick around and what Gary Monk's style will be. Verdict is still out on how he'll fare as a manager. However, seeing how he's Swansea through and through, they'll give him time.

Bony is all but gone, so that should make it a nice uphill struggle.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
I think I know the one you are referring to. Had the 32 Red logo across the chest. I like Spurs older shirts as well, from 3 years ago or so, but this years Spurs shirt is a big improvement over last years, IMO.
Agreed on the upgrade. That Purple/Yellow away kit last season was putrid. These are the kits I was referring to as the best. It was their 12/13 kit. It was their centennial year. I actually have the home (white) jersey with Michu's number.

1New-Swansea-City-Home-Kit-2012-13.jpg

Swansea-Shirt-2012.jpg

Away

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Bony is all but gone, so that should make it a nice uphill struggle.
Possibly but I'll believe it when I see it. The past two off seasons Ashley Williams was all but gone and then stuck around. Michu was rumored gone last off season and stayed. We'll see. They've brought in a striker from France who should be able to fill in though. Bony started off slowly for Swansea last season. It would be a big blow.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So neither Howard nor Ochoa are Golden Gloves finalists for the tournament. There were three goalies better than both of them... I must have missed that.
Well Neuer definitely is. Romero has given up 3 goals in 6 games and won a Penalty shootout. Navas 2 goals in 5 games and won a Penalty shootout. All 3 went further in the tourney too.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Well Neuer definitely is. Romero has given up 3 goals in 6 games and won a Penalty shootout. Navas 2 goals in 5 games and won a Penalty shootout. All 3 went further in the tourney too.

To be fair, going further in the tournament should have very little if anything at all to do with an individual goalie award, since Germany's advance had little to do with Neuer. Count me in the group that was somewhat surprised by the selections, and if I'm being honest, I'd be more upset with Ochoa not being there than Howard. I think both deserve to be on the list, but in my mind, it's hard to have had a more impressive tournament than Ochoa. It seemed like every save he made was miraculous...

(maybe Howard made them all look too easy! ;))

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
To be fair, going further in the tournament should have very little if anything at all to do with an individual goalie award, since Germany's advance had little to do with Neuer. Count me in the group that was somewhat surprised by the selections, and if I'm being honest, I'd be more upset with Ochoa not being there than Howard. I think both deserve to be on the list, but in my mind, it's hard to have had a more impressive tournament than Ochoa. It seemed like every save he made was miraculous...

(maybe Howard made them all look too easy! ;))

It's impossible to take an award for best goalie at this World Cup seriously that doesn't have Ochoa as a finalist.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Those ManU kits are hideous. :eek:
Why do all the S teams (Southampton, Stoke, Sunderland) all have the red and white stripes, and Burnley, Villa, West Ham all have the same claret and sky blue colors? At least the Hammers got rid of the blue sleeves so there's a slight difference. But for mid-table Prem teams looking to attract new casual supporters like the ones in this thread, having a cookie-cutter primary color scheme probably doesn't help much. (Of course... you could say the same thing about the million or so college football teams with red / black / white colors or hideous beige that supposed to be "gold"... )

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Give me some good reasons to become a Spurs fan.

Despite not winning any major trophies in a long time it has a large fan base, It's a consistent Premier League club based in London that isn't Arsenal, or Chelsea. The other is Fulham who were just relegated. West Ham and QPR are also in London, but aren't big money clubs. Brad Freidel plays GK for Spurs, though he is mostly the back up these days. Otherwise, I see no good reason.

Reaction Score
SubbaBub said:
Despite not winning any major trophies in a long time it has a large fan base, It's a consistent Premier League club based in London that isn't Arsenal, or Chelsea. The other is Fulham who were just relegated. West Ham and QPR are also in London, but aren't big money clubs. Brad Freidel plays GK for Spurs, though he is mostly the back up these days. Otherwise, I see no good reason.

It was easier when they had Dempsey, although he didn't play all that well for them.

Reaction Score
Caught the last 10 minutes of the match on ESPN radio today. Holy cow they were brutal to the Brazilians. Not that it wasn't deserved but I like how hey don't hold back. Disgusting, disgraceful, embarrassing. Ouch.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
J187Money said:
Caught the last 10 minutes of the match on ESPN radio today. Holy cow they were brutal to the Brazilians. Not that it wasn't deserved but I like how hey don't hold back. Disgusting, disgraceful, embarrassing. Ouch.

A team that good shouldn't play anywhere close to that badly. Emotional weakness, apathy, making a few bucks on the game, death threats. All options are on the table when it comes to international soccer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wygyschk

Top Bottom