OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread | Page 83 | The Boneyard

OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Germany held more of the ball, but Argentina had more and better scoring chances. Higuain and Palacio are going to have some sleepless nights this week...
Yeah - to my eye, Germany wasn't as dangerous today as they were in the earlier rounds, thanks to Argentina's defending (and probably also not having Khedeira). And Argentina had stretches in the first half where they looked like they could break through with a couple goals, and not just lucky ones. Fitness was an issue though, especially for Messi.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Yeah - to my eye, Germany wasn't as dangerous today as they were in the earlier rounds, thanks to Argentina's defending (and probably also not having Khedeira). And Argentina had stretches in the first half where they looked like they could break through with a couple goals, and not just lucky ones. Fitness was an issue though, especially for Messi.

I think it's less of a fitness issue and more of a "we played 120 minutes four days ago and you had only played 90 with an extra day rest" thing. Not to make excuses, but FIFA has to figure out a way on getting the finalists the equal amount of rest...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think it's less of a fitness issue and more of a "we played 120 minutes four days ago and you had only played 90 with an extra day rest" thing. Not to make excuses, but FIFA has to figure out a way on getting the finalists the equal amount of rest...

Crazy idea. Play the semis on the same day?

Reaction Score
What do I know, but I thought this game today was very lopsided in favor of Germany. Argentina clearly studied what happened to Brazil, and was dropping every guy they had back playing defense and covering lanes on the field. Soccer defense to me, is essentially a perpetual motion kickoff coverage, the field gets divided up,you got your running lanes and you got to "mark" your man in your lane. THey were bringing lines back 5 guys wide across the field. double stacked and were leaving nobody to attack the ball. Germany players were literally standing still with the ball at their feet and making passes when on offense. No pressure. But Germany couldn't do anythign to get past their stacked up D.

Argentina got some scoring chances on offense, and played some organized offense, but they were very conservative it seemd, and really, seemed to be coming off of Germany mistakes, rather than anything organized sustained they were doing in attacking. I think that had Germany been able to score a goal early, the game would have changed dramatically because it's the final, and Argentina clearly would have needed to start actually trying to generate some offense, but instead they sat back, with a specific game plan - to me, it looked like - here it comes - they were playing for a tie, not for the win. Wanting to get Germany to a shootout or something, or hopefully get a goal on a mistake and quick unorganized really, offensive play back, rather than playing to score goals and win outright.

Germany just kept attacking and attacking and eventually scored. They needed extra time to finally get a good enough play to break down the defense, and it was amazing, the ball never touched the ground on the entry to the shot to the goal. I guess if you play for a tie, with regulation play, and no OT and PK"s, it is a smart and effective thing to do, in this sport, if the matchup dictates that's the way to go. But in a championship final, there are no ties, so it's no surprise to me, that the team that kept an organized open field attack, eventually won, without going to PK"s. Had argentina been able to hold out until PK's, who knows - I think that was their plan.

It was a nice tournament to watch. I'll look forward to the next time the USA plays. And I tell you what, the German team isn't a bunch of floppers, and neither was the USA, and contrary to what was said to me before, it was crystal clear to me, that today, when they wanted to milk the refs late for injury time, it was in their favor - because they weren't a bunch of fakers of injury, and played with pain. Concussion rules need to be revisited, that German that played the first half - seen that before.

If soccer is ever going to become a 'mainstream' sport in the USA, that play acting in pain stuff just can't be a part of it.

So now, we're getting close to UCONN football.

Reaction Score
They weren't playing for a tie. They were playing sound defense and hoping to score off a counter attack. And it almost worked. Despite Germany having the ball 60% of the time, Argentina generated the same number of shots (10 - 10). Unfortunately for them, they couldn't put them on goal. Germany had 7 shots on goal, to Argentina's 2.

A conservative, defend and counter-attack, style of play, isn't playing for a tie just because that's how you choose to define it.

Argentina would not have the same strategy against the USA in a friendly played next June. Guess which game they'd want to win much more.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes because games watched by 25 million people aren't 'mainstream'.

When the World Series averages 40% of that, baseball will need to do serious work to get mainstream.

Reaction Score
Yes because games watched by 25 million people aren't 'mainstream'.

When the World Series averages 40% of that, baseball will need to do serious work to get mainstream.

LOL and Carl speaks for the "mainstream" too.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
LOL and Carl speaks for the "mainstream" too.

Also odd that the US doesn't flop and therefore benefits in added time. The half hour Portugal got
in the second half was a rounding error.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I'm watching Seattle/Portland. Nothing mainstream about 65k people in the stadium on a Sunday night.

I'm watching it too. I've always had a great respect for the northwestern fans. Seattle always has a great crowd, and Portland also impresses when they are at home as well. If only the Revs could move to Rentschler, I think they would certainly average more than 14k. But unfortunately, Kraft would never do it, so they'll struggle away in Foxboro...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm watching it too. I've always had a great respect for the northwestern fans. Seattle always has a great crowd, and Portland also impresses when they are at home as well. If only the Revs could move to Rentschler, I think they would certainly average more than 14k. But unfortunately, Kraft would never do it, so they'll struggle away in Foxboro...

Rentschler isn't ideal for MLS but Hartford would be a pretty decent market for the league. Foxboro is just a brutal location. Being in Hartford, Boston or Providence would all be better for attendance. But I'm sure Kraft is monetizing them well beyond what the attendance number alone would tell you.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I'll just put this here...

Man Who Watched Most Of World Cup Match Knows Exactly How To Fix U.S. Team
Sports News in BriefSportswomens sports and soccer ISSUE 50•27 • Jul 10, 2014
700.jpg

ROANOKE, VA—Explaining precisely what the national team must do in order to compete with the sport’s global superpowers, local 39-year-old David Bower, who watched most of a single World Cup match over the last month, revealed Wednesday that he knows exactly how to fix the U.S. soccer team going forward. “The problem is the midfield—that’s always a weak spot for us,” said Bower, who reportedly only paid attention for roughly 70 minutes of the U.S. team’s round of 16 defeat to Belgium, during which he frequently browsed Facebook on his iPhone and missed the first 10 minutes of extra time while making himself a sandwich. “That guy Bradley isn’t good enough, and we just don’t have any good strikers outside of Jozy Altidore. What we really need is to play more like Germany—see, they know how to move the ball, and if we can do that, then we’ll be able to beat the best teams.” Bower then went on to confidently assert that the U.S. could have future success at the World Cup if it simply brings through a player on par with Lionel Messi and Neymar.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'll just put this here...
Well he is absolutely correct. If we did have players on par with Messi and Neymar and did play like Germany, we probably would be a pretty good team. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
So I was bored yesterday and I googled my last name. Don't know why I never noticed but pictures of Inter-Milan were popping up. It's a very uncommon Italian last name that some Euros often mistake for Swiss. Turns out one of my relatives founded Inter-Milan which makes sense because the Italian side of my family all came from the Milan-Turin-Pinerolo area of Italy.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
So I was bored yesterday and I googled my last name. Don't know why I never noticed but pictures of Inter-Milan were popping up. It's a very uncommon Italian last name that some Euros often mistake for Swiss. Turns out one of my relatives founded Inter-Milan which makes sense because the Italian side of my family all came from the Milan-Turin-Pinerolo area of Italy.
Well it looks like your problem of who to follow in the EPL got solved! Screw them and follow Serie A in Italy. Lol

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Well it looks like your problem of who to follow in the EPL got solved! Screw them and follow Serie A in Italy. Lol

That's exactly what I do!

It's not as easy for everyone though, as I am willing to pay for the extra package to see Serie A on BeIN Sports. But after all the American players left Fulham, I don't have much of a reason to watch the EPL, really. My history with Fulham was short-lived, and I have no cultural connection to the squad. I will just cheer for any team playing against Liverpool, like I've done since 1985...

Reaction Score

It's not as easy for everyone though, as I am willing to pay for the extra package to see Serie A on BeIN Sports. But after all the American players left Fulham, I don't have much of a reason to watch the EPL, really. My history with Fulham was short-lived, and I have no cultural connection to the squad. I will just cheer for any team playing against Liverpool, like I've done since 1985...

LOVE BeIN Sports.

Reaction Score
That sounds about right Zoo. You need to be an Inter fan, it's family for goodness sake.

All 3 (EPL, La Liga, and Series A) are fun leagues to watch, and throw in Bundesliga as well. Different styles of play. I personally prefer the coverage and camera angles NBC provides for the EPL. Feels much closer to the action. Seires A always feels like a far away overhead view. Been watching more and more La Liga too, that is the best level of play of the 4 major leagues. Can't go wrong with any of the though (if you just enjoy the game). I'll even watch Scottish Premiere League who usually has an early game on Fox Soccer (it is usually Celtic v. their next victim, and not nearly as competitive, but it beats the hell out of Sports Center for my money).

Reaction Score

So Cameron at Stoke doesn't do it for you? ;) I feel the same way ... McBride started it for me ... then Bocanegra, Dempsey, & EJ. Fulhamerica no more ...

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Just wanna clarify that I wasn't saying Serie A is better then EPL, just that you gotta be an Inter fan with that background Zoo.

I agree with Samcro that NBC'S coverage of the Premier league is top notch and much better than Fox Soccer was. I tried watching a few Bundesliga games on GOAL network but couldn't do it. I believe Fox picked up the rights so I'll try watching that. As for BeIN, not sure I even have access to it on COX. Sucks too because I want to get into La Liga more...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom