OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread | Page 80 | The Boneyard

OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Germany v Argentina, whose everybody got? I'd like to see Messi lift the cup, but think that Das Vaterland will clinically breakdown their South American allies 3-1

I think Argentina wins because it now seems everyone is predicting Germany will win. It's science.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Germany v Argentina, whose everybody got? I'd like to see Messi lift the cup, but think that Das Vaterland will clinically breakdown their South American allies 3-1
Argentina has gotta be gassed. Two games gone to extra time in a row. They also seem to lack the offensive firepower, which is a shock with Messi and a banged up Aguero. However, they can play solid D and could shut down Germany's offensive onslaught.

Personally, I'd love to see Messi lift the cup. The man has earned it. I think he deserves the respect from his country and come out from the shadow of Maradonna.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Messi wins this and he becomes a futbol immortal. I'm rooting for him. Germany just squeaked by a poorly-managed American squad. They can be had.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
So on a side note. Since it seems like more and more people here wanna watch and root for an EPL team, where are we gonna take this convo after the season starts? No point bothering the non-soccer fans here and I respect their right to not see the thread pop up to the top. I'd love to have this convo continue, no matter what league you follow, carry over to maybe the Pro-Sports board? Any thoughts?

I tried Prem fantasy soccer last year on Yahoo and ESPN, not a huge fan. However, if someone was interested I'd start up a group. I'd really like to see us continue talking soccer once the season starts. I'm open to thoughts! It's been great to see non-frequent football posters participate as well.

Reaction Score
Messi wins this and he becomes a futbol immortal. I'm rooting for him. Germany just squeaked by a poorly-managed American squad. They can be had.
I see what you did there.

Reaction Score

Mueller does so much for this German squad. Just gotta clamp down on him the way others clamp down on Messi.

Reaction Score
So on a side note. Since it seems like more and more people here wanna watch and root for an EPL team, where are we gonna take this convo after the season starts? No point bothering the non-soccer fans here and I respect their right to not see the thread pop up to the top. I'd love to have this convo continue, no matter what league you follow, carry over to maybe the Pro-Sports board? Any thoughts?

I tried Prem fantasy soccer last year on Yahoo and ESPN, not a huge fan. However, if someone was interested I'd start up a group. I'd really like to see us continue talking soccer once the season starts. I'm open to thoughts! It's been great to see non-frequent football posters participate as well.
I suggest we keep it here on the Football forum. The Jerk would love it, and Jimmy S could be the moderator. However, if too many of those commies who don't like soccer get thier panties in a twist then we take it to the Pro Sports forum.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Argentina has gotta be gassed. Two games gone to extra time in a row. They also seem to lack the offensive firepower, which is a shock with Messi and a banged up Aguero. However, they can play solid D and could shut down Germany's offensive onslaught.

Personally, I'd love to see Messi lift the cup. The man has earned it. I think he deserves the respect from his country and come out from the shadow of Maradonna.
2 out of 3 games. Argentina scored early and, if memory serves, beat Belgium kinda easily.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
2 out of 3 games. Argentina scored early and, if memory serves, beat Belgium kinda easily.
They went to ET with Belgium and scored in the 118'. That doesn't seem easy to me.

Reaction Score

There are two reasons why I do not want to see Argentina hoist the Cup. First, I don’t want people in Brazil getting hurt when their country riots and burns the place down. Second, somehow that gloating cokehead, bin Laden Halloween mask wearing Maradonna will try and take the credit and rub it in everyone’s face (Pele, UK, US, etc.).

Reaction Score

Well, I can tell you that I have lost a bit of love for Barcelona to agreeing to a £75 million transfer with Liverpool for Luis ‘Jaws’ Suarez even though he is suspended until the fall.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28180600

I wonder if Barca will make Suarez take a rabies shot to pass his physical? Maybe they will fit him with a Hannibal Lecter style mask for everyone’s safety?

Going in the opposite direction, I am very happy that Gunners are finally using some of their cash to compete with Man U, Man City, and Chelsea. They signed Alex Sanchez (Chile) from Barca, who I really like, for £ 30 million, which looks to be a steal compared to what Barcelona paid for Jaws.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/10/alexis-sanchez-signs-arsenal

They also got Mathieu Debuchy (France) from Newcastle and may get Sam Khedira (Germany), who has really looked good in the Cup, from Real Madrid. Loïc Rémy (France) with QPR may still be another addition, though talks may have snagged and Liverpool, which now has a lot of cash on hand (see above) and need, appears to be in the mix. Plus, Arsenal may be looking at defensive youngster Javier Manquillo (Spain) from Atheltico Madrid and keeper David Ospina (Colombia) from Nice (France).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They went to ET with Belgium and scored in the 118'. That doesn't seem easy to me.
You're thinking of the Switzerland game, where they scored in the 118th minute. They scored early on Belgium and packed in the D to hold on to a 1-0 win in regulation. They did go deep into ET and PK's in 2 of their 3 playoff wins though. Germany, on the contrary, went to extra time to beat Algeria, then beat France 1-0 by scoring early and packing it in and playing D. They coasted over Brazil

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You're thinking of the Switzerland game, where they scored in the 118th minute. They scored early on Belgium and packed in the D to hold on to a 1-0 win in regulation. They did go deep into ET and PK's in 2 of their 3 playoff wins though. Germany, on the contrary, went to extra time to beat Algeria, then beat France 1-0 by scoring early and packing it in and playing D. They coasted over Brazil
So I was wrong too. I'll say what you are probably thinking for you, "Geezus, 25. You're on a computer for {Expletive] sakes. You have Google at your disposal!!!!!"

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I am in the same boat. But instead of window shopping I am just going to start watching more games on NBC Sports and see what catches my eye. I don't want to be a frontrunner but I am open minded about Arsenal and the Spurs. On the other hand, I am a UConn football fan, so I have earned some frontrunning time...
Um you can't be open minded about Arsenal and Tottenham. That's like being open minded about the RedSox and Yankees, Michigan and Ohio State, Auburn and Alabama. If you choose one you have to hate the other. :cool:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Too bad you guys didn't go see Liverpool when they came to The Rent. That did it for me. So what if their best player like to nibble once in awhile.
Not anymore, he's on his way to Barcelona now.

Which allowed us (Arsenal) to pick up Sanchez. :D

Reaction Score
So I was wrong too. I'll say what you are probably thinking for you, "Geezus, 25. You're on a computer for {Expletive] sakes. You have Google at your disposal!!!!!"
Nah, I'm not that person. I'm wrong way too often to be the guy who gives people for posting something not 100% correct (unless they're a visiting troll from another school). You were right on the minutes, just off on the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well, I can tell you that I have lost a bit of love for Barcelona to agreeing to a £75 million transfer with Liverpool for Luis ‘Jaws’ Suarez even though he is suspended until the fall.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28180600
I wonder if Barca will make Suarez take a rabies shot to pass his physical? Maybe they will fit him with a Hannibal Lecter style mask for everyone’s safety?

Going in the opposite direction, I am very happy that Gunners are finally using some of their cash to compete with Man U, Man City, and Chelsea. They signed Alex Sanchez (Chile) from Barca, who I really like, for £ 30 million, which looks to be a steal compared to what Barcelona paid for Jaws.

They also got Mathieu Debuchy (France) from Newcastle and may get Sam Khedira (Germany), who has really looked good in the Cup, from Real Madrid. Loïc Rémy (France) with QPR may still be another addition, though talks may have snagged and Liverpool, which now has a lot of cash on hand (see above) and need, appears to be in the mix. Plus, Arsenal may be looking at defensive youngster Javier Manquillo (Spain) from Atheltico Madrid and keeper David Ospina (Colombia) from Nice (France).

As a Liverpool fan I'm pretty conflicted. Obviously the guy was a major head case and a liability from a personality standpoint. But from a pure production standpoint, he's one of the top 3 in form players in the world. He's not going to be replaced, 75 million pounds or not. So we'll see. I'm concerned but with any luck, being back in the Champions League next season makes Liverpool more attractive to transfer targets and we can get some decent semi-replacements.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If you're struggling to pick a team, you can always be like a little kid and choose your team based on which uniform (or "kit" as they say over there) you like best. Personally, I'd go with Aston Villa - the maroon/light blue color scheme is interesting, the white away jerseys with the maroon pinstripes are sharp, and Brad Guzan is their keeper.

Or, now that ManU has a giant Chevrolet logo on their kit for next year, you could use that as an excuse to hop on that bandwagon. USA! USA!:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...NEW-KITS-2014-15-The-strips-team-wearing.html
Those ManU kits are hideous. :eek:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Was a very good day yesterday with Sanchez and the Puma kit launch. Glad they are putting that money to use. I'd love to see Khedira (liked him and Ozil since the 2010 WC). We probably do need a another CB along with the B/U keeper.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As a Liverpool fan I'm pretty conflicted. Obviously the guy was a major head case and a liability from a personality standpoint. But from a pure production standpoint, he's one of the top 3 in form players in the world. He's not going to be replaced, 75 million pounds or not. So we'll see. I'm concerned but with any luck, being back in the Champions League next season makes Liverpool more attractive to transfer targets and we can get some decent semi-replacements.

Suarez was incredible last year. I agree. I don't get it at all.

Reaction Score
Was a very good day yesterday with Sanchez and the Puma kit launch. Glad they are putting that money to use. I'd love to see Khedira (liked him and Ozil since the 2010 WC). We probably do need a another CB along with the B/U keeper.

Arsenal was supposedly looking to add Olympiakos's CB Manolas but that got shot down by the top Arsenal website yesterday. He can be had for relatively cheaply. Juventus, Man. United, Bayern Munich and Liverpool are also said to be interested. If I had to guess, my bet is Juventus is the top bidder.

Reaction Score

Tottenham+2014-15+Away+Kit.jpg

Now that is a good looking home and away kit....Come On You Spurrrrrsssss! (hopefully it's the real deal, as it was leaked and club has not formally showed them off yet).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Um you can't be open minded about Arsenal and Tottenham. That's like being open minded about the RedSox and Yankees, Michigan and Ohio State, Auburn and Alabama. If you choose one you have to hate the other. :cool:

Thus, my dislike for Liverpool. As a life long Yankees fan, I cannot root for any team related to the Red Sox.

While I understand the neighborhood rivalry in Northwest London between the Gunners and the Spurs, I, as a very casual fan, would think a bigger rival today would be Chelsea. The two have been the best London based clubs for a while now and each has been fighting for top position on the premiership for the last decade or so. No disrespect to the Spurs; but, they have only recently improved. Of course, I know in English football, memories are very long. Either way, I just hope that the rivalries stay on the pitch and do not spill out into the streets in the form of hooliganism like it was in the 1980’s. Not surprisingly, I know that both teams do share a common hatred (along with most of the league) with Man U.

My biggest issue right now with the Gunners is that the tickets for the Arsenal versus NY Red Bulls match in Jersey at the end of July are north of $150, which my wife may give me hell about after spending cash on UConn season football, UConn/Duke Basketball, and a Yankees/Sox game over the last few months. She already shot down my thought of tickets for the USA/Turkey warm-up in Jersey as they were running $200+ on Stub Hub.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle