OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread | Page 66 | The Boneyard

OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Was this the place they always panned to when showing people watching the game in KC? It looked like some kind of shopping area.

No that was the Power and Light District which is downtown. Village West is outside the city towards Lawrence.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Was this the place they always panned to when showing people watching the game in KC? It looked like some kind of shopping area.

ESPN kept on showing the Power and Light District. It's shops, restaurants, and bars. My wife and I spent 4 nights in KC in 2011. 1 was spent at Kaufman Stadium (Red Sox game), 1 was spent at the Mo State fair, and the other two were spent in Power and Light. It was a no brainer on where to go.

Reaction Score
Power and Light is notorious for being Frat Boy central. But it is a nice shiny new area with some cool stuff. They old movie theater down there is interesting and when I have friends in town visiting on business I usually take them to BRGR or another restaurant in the Plaza, which is also another awesome area in downtown. The weather here is awful, humid and windy but there is no shortage of stuff to do.

Here is an article from today on the soccer boom in KC.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/vahe-gregorian/article660682.html

Reaction Score
I am happy as to what we showed, and happy with the effort, but we were in over our heads. The other teams had guys from this European League and that European League. Chlesea Liverpool PSG. We had Kansas City. We had no answere No answer for Lakaku. We need to get more guys over there and play every week, or import some guys to play MLS. That's why Donovan did not make it. He decided to mail it in last year.

Good base of Green Chandler, Yedlin maybe Bradley Guzan Rimando Johanssen.. Mix could be there as well I guess. More German Americans. More European League. Klinsman has to insist that they stay away from the MLS as long as possible.

Go Costa Rica. We were lucky to beat them in the snow game. Not sure what happened in Costa Rica. Look out next time for them and Mexico.

As I said this is the change year for me. Much more soccer, even MLS, and less of everything else. Family get - togethers used to center around traditional sports now it's Premiere League and UCONN.

Twenty years from now, especially is the US was to land to 2022 or 2026 World Cup, MLS could be up there in terms of talent due to the amount of money potentially available to attract the best in the world not only from the US and not just those on the downside from Europe to the US should interest continue to grow. I can see the US just behind the current Big 3 (Germany - Bundesliga, Spain - Liga, UK - Premier) and at or slightly above the next tier (France – Ligue 1, Italy – Serie A [sorry; but the recent scandals have cut down most of the Italian clubs outside of Milan and Juventus]). But for now, absolutely, to beat the best on the World Stage requires who play the best on the world stage every day and that means US players need to be on and start for teams at that level.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Honestly there is is a reason why FIFA is the best selling XBOX/PS game out there.
There was an article I read awhile back that FIFA was winning more soccer fans (of the 13-25 males) than anything else USSF/ESPN/FOXSOCCER/etc. could ever do.

Reaction Score
Twenty years from now, especially is the US was to land to 2022 or 2026 World Cup, MLS could be up there in terms of talent due to the amount of money potentially available to attract the best in the world not only from the US and not just those on the downside from Europe to the US should interest continue to grow. I can see the US just behind the current Big 3 (Germany - Bundesliga, Spain - Liga, UK - Premier) and at or slightly above the next tier (France – Ligue 1, Italy – Serie A [sorry; but the recent scandals have cut down most of the Italian clubs outside of Milan and Juventus]). But for now, absolutely, to beat the best on the World Stage requires who play the best on the world stage every day and that means US players need to be on and start for teams at that level.

The big shift in MLS over the past few years is that the league is now willing to pay big bucks to the best US players, hence the return of players like Bradley and Dempsey. It wouldn't surprise me if a team buys Jermaine Jones too.

Reaction Score
There was an article I read awhile back that FIFA was winning more soccer fans (of the 13-25 males) than anything else USSF/ESPN/FOXSOCCER/etc. could ever do.

Have you ever played it? It's addictive as hell.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Power and Light is notorious for being Frat Boy central. But it is a nice shiny new area with some cool stuff. They old movie the lawer down there is interesting and when I have friends in town visiting on business I usually take them to BRGR or another restaurant in the Plaza, which is also another awesome area in downtown. The weather here is awful, humid and windy but there is no shortage of stuff to do.

Here is an article from today on the soccer boom in KC.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/vahe-gregorian/article660682.html

Ain't that the truth. At the time, one of my wife's co-workers asked why in the world we were going to Kansas City on vacation. We went for the Red Sox game, but had a great time at the WWI museum, the Negro Leagues Baseball HOF, and had some great BBQ. I like the music, but the Blues and Jazz Museum left much to be desired.

Kansas City was actually one of the best MLB cities we've been to. Currently bringing up the rear...and I don't see it changing anytime soon...is Oakland.

Reaction Score
Wynalda thinks that he is the only person on the planet qualified to coach the USMNT. He's been a wackjob since John Harkes was laying the wood to his wife.

Which, in part, explains the US’s lovely showing the 1998 World Cup in France :mad:

Reaction Score
The college system of playing soccer will have to be trashed. It will have to be like ski school, where kids are hand picked by clubs early on and paid. Kind of like being drafted out of high school for baseball with maybe a guarantee of tuition in the future. They don't spend enough time in high school and college developing the game. Already kids are opting out of high school and just playing for clubs. Kids like Green and Yedlin are not worried about college.

Reaction Score
Ain't that the truth. At the time, one of my wife's co-workers asked why in the world we were going to Kansas City on vacation. We went for the Red Sox game, but had a great time at the WWI museum, the Negro Leagues Baseball HOF, and had some great BBQ. I like the music, but the Blues and Jazz Museum left much to be desired.

Kansas City was actually one of the best MLB cities we've been to. Currently bringing up the rear...and I don't see it changing anytime soon...is Oakland.

Here's my take on KC. It is by no means a tourist destination and it isn't really trying to be. Pretty much everything that is here is here for the people that live here and in order for it to stick around it can't suck.

Reaction Score
The college system of playing soccer will have to be trashed. It will have to be like ski school, where kids are hand picked by clubs early on and paid. Kind of like being drafted out of high school for baseball with maybe a guarantee of tuition in the future. They don't spend enough time in high school and college developing the game. Already kids are opting out of high school and just playing for clubs. Kids like Green and Yedlin are not worried about college.

Truth. Yedlin is a product of the Seattle Sounders Academy. I think he played one year of college soccer at Akron of all places but that was a waste of time.

Reaction Score

And these ‘academies’ can easily incorporate some educational component to it, virtual/community college, etc. IMG, for example is a qualified high school. The difference between this model and the current US collegiate sports model is that these places admit that sports are their #1 priority and treat everyone based on that expectation versus claiming academics are #1 and just blowing a lot of hot air.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It's over by Legends/Village West and the NASCAR track. KC knew what it was doing in strategic planning. Imagine if the Rent was in a place like this. Once can only dream.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Village_West
Patriots Place, by Gillette, where the Revs (and Patriots) play is somewhat similar. Though it doesn't sound like quite as big/busy. It has retail, dining and a hotel.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Here's my take on KC. It is by no means a tourist destination and it isn't really trying to be. Pretty much everything that is here is here for the people that live here and in order for it to stick around it can't suck.
It' doesn't suck and it doesn't deserve the reputation or to be lumped in with many of the "major" cities of the flyover states.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Actually if the kids are in one of the academies
http://academy.demosphere.com/Clubs/index_E.html
I don't believe they are letting the kids play in HS anymore.

Reaction Score

I don't see that happening. Different calendar/schedule, lack of prestige/quality of CONCACAF champions league/US Cup. I also don't think it's necessarily a bad thing.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I don't know if I'll watch a lot of soccer, but I think I'm going to try and watch the USMNT whenever they play going forward. I really enjoyed it.
Welcome, Sir, to the bandwagon that I have been on since 1996. I may though try and catch a few Barclays games going forward.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I don't know if I'll watch a lot of soccer, but I think I'm going to try and watch the USMNT whenever they play going forward. I really enjoyed it.
Games at the Rent are always a good time! If you can get to any of them when they are around I highly recommend it.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Have you ever played it? It's addictive as hell.
FIFA is what got me hooked on watching soccer. Before my daughters were born I played it a lot. Wish I had more time now but between chasing after my almost two year old and my three week old, finding some time is tough. However, FIFA is probably right behind Madden in regards to people playing it on video consoles. I used to buy the NCAA games every year but stopped awhiles back and replaced it with FIFA.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
KC always perplexed me in that it's split between Kansas and Missouri. I've only been there for a baseball game as I tagged along with my wife on business and we went from Detroit for a Tigers game, flew to St Louis the next day fro a Cardinals game, and then drove across the state to KC for a Royals game the next day and then flew out. Wouldn't mind going back as Kaufman was a really cool stadium. Been to over half of them and it ranks in my top 5. Would love to catch a Sporting KC game maybe out there some day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom