OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread | Page 68 | The Boneyard

OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So I guess the moral of the story is: If you are "nine toes in", it helps to be German? :confused:

It helps to be 24 years old. It also helps to not go to the media and basically admit you're too old to try very hard in practice.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Desiring to take your best team to the World Cup /=/ Donovan apologist.
I don't think the best team would have included Davis, Wondo or Donovan.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
It helps to be 24 years old. It also helps to not go to the media and basically admit you're too old to try very hard in practice.

You're kidding yourself, and that's fine. Continue to do so.

I was chatting with players on my soccer team last night (a bunch of Portuguese players with two Chileans), and all agreed that despite being proud of the team's effort in the WC, that there would be some serious questions asked of Klinsmann had he been coaching another country's squad right now. And they're right. There would certainly be questions. And the Donovan thing would only be one of many:

1) Why switch from a 4-1-4-1 that you had been using all tourney long to the 4-3-3? And if you are going to switch, why bring Cameron in for Beckerman?
2) Why not re-adjust Bradley and Dempsey back to natural positions after the Portugal game?
3) Why clog the right wing by having Zusi and Johnson (and finally Yedlin) next to each other, but lose the midfield battle? etc.

But he's coaching for the USA, where the bar was to get out of the Group of Death. He reached that bar, and we are all glad that we did. But don't mistake the occurrence of that event with the idea that Klinsmann had a perfect cup performance, because he most certainly did not...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm growing so tired of this narrative, as it literally has very little to do with anything about why Donovan was left off the team. He took his sabbatical. He came back. He played in the Gold Cup and in qualifiers. He was on the 30 man provisional WC squad prior to the cut.
How quickly we forget that there was another player who took a similar "sabbatical" and found himself on the 23 man roster:

On 16 May 2012, Timothy Chandler declined an offer from U.S. coach Jürgen Klinsmann to join his training camp for the upcoming friendlies and 2014 World Cup Qualifiers.[19] Klinsmann stated that Timothy expressed a need to take a break from the U.S. and find his international identity.[20] However, Chandler later accepted a call-up for the US friendly against Russia, stating that he was "in 1,000 percent."[21]

So I guess the moral of the story is: If you are "nine toes in", it helps to be German? :confused:
However, Chandler later accepted a call-up for the US friendly against Russia, stating that he was "in 1,000 percent

Donovan stated he couldn't go 100% .

See the difference?

(It's like, uh, 900+% :cool:)

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
However, Chandler later accepted a call-up for the US friendly against Russia, stating that he was "in 1,000 percent

See the difference?

Saying you are in something 1000% (which is...well, I'll leave that alone for now because it's not Timmy's first language) is a statement of commitment.

Saying you "can't go" 100% is a statement of physical condition, not of commitment.

I know that you understand a lot about soccer, so I'm pretty sure that you understand the nuance above. Whether or not someone believes that Donovan belonged on the squad, the reasoning that's being offered for him not being there is pure sillyness...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

See the difference?

Oh good words! Like the 50 articles Spackler gave us that they were going to ATTACK. Then did the complete opposite: Breaking a record for clearances against Ghana, not recording a shot on goal against Germany and giving up 39 shots to Belgium.

Reaction Score
Alex, I'll take things that have nothing to do with putting your best team on the field for $800.

I agree with the principle, but I don't think he is remotely as good as he was before and he is a distraction.

Reaction Score
Nuclear attack...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/donovan-comes-off-bitter-klinsmann-062000341--sow.html

Donovan should have kept his mouth shut and likely ruined any chance of him seeing the national team again (if there was ever a chance that he could physically make the team); but, some of what he said is true. Bradley did not look good for most of the Cup and one factor was that he played out of his natural position. Not sure if Klinsmann did such on purpose or it was reactionary due to Jozy’s injury. Either way, while I believe he is a very good coach, some of the blame does fall on his shoulders by either 1) tactically putting Bradley in an unantrual position or 2) not filling the roster with a player (E Johnson or Boyd?) that could fill in for Jozy in the case of injury, which he is known to get, or card suspension.

Landycakes just needs to go back to his Mommy's minivan and eat some orange slices.

Reaction Score

I was chatting with players on my soccer team last night (a bunch of Portuguese players with two Chileans), and all agreed that despite being proud of the team's effort in the WC, that there would be some serious questions asked of Klinsmann had he been coaching another country's squad right now. And they're right. There would certainly be questions. And the Donovan thing would only be one of many:

1) Why switch from a 4-1-4-1 that you had been using all tourney long to the 4-3-3? And if you are going to switch, why bring Cameron in for Beckerman?
2) Why not re-adjust Bradley and Dempsey back to natural positions after the Portugal game?
3) Why clog the right wing by having Zusi and Johnson (and finally Yedlin) next to each other, but lose the midfield battle? etc.

But he's coaching for the USA, where the bar was to get out of the Group of Death. He reached that bar, and we are all glad that we did. But don't mistake the occurrence of that event with the idea that Klinsmann had a perfect cup performance, because he most certainly did not...

That's so interesting. The British shows I listen to were raving about Klinsmann and wondering if they could lure him away.

Reaction Score
  • Klinsmann did not do a perfect job. I think that there should have been a better backup plan for Altidore getting hurt or stinking up the joint. I think all of the choices of formations and playing out of position is due in a large part because of this mistake.
  • I think Donovan should have been on the team; I don't know why he wasn't but I trusted in JK's decision. We don't know what was said behind closed doors or in the locker room or what the real reason was; I think it is exceptionally stupid for both sides to be carrying on this debate when we will never know for sure any details.
  • I think we are in a better place now than four years ago, and I expect we will be in an even better place in another four years. I am really excited about our future.
  • If you told me before the Cup that we would be 35 seconds and a defensive brain-fart away from wrapping up progression after the Portugal match I would have considered giving up my left nut.
  • I find it infinitely annoying that human nature dictates that some fans of a common team (or anything having to do with a groups common goal) revel in that teams (or groups) failure just so they could be "proven" right. I qualify this statement by saying it is not isolated to this conversation or any particular poster. I think it happens all the time, everywhere. Where the hell were all of the haters when we were progressing? As soon as we're eliminated they come out of the woodwork saying that LD should have been included. He wasn't... Bringing it up afterwards serves no purpose other than promoting stock in Summer's Eve.
This last point is why I really try to avoid any serious conversations about anything including sports, politics, or current affairs. People's tendencies to be thickheaded, pompous boors just sucks the life any fun out of these conversations.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
That's so interesting. The British shows I listen to were raving about Klinsmann and wondering if they could lure him away.

Then you're listening to a bunch of crackpots that believe that Hodgson had a team that was worth a damn. The English squad has a lot of young talent, but also a lot of old holes to fill. Klinsmann isn't going to change their fortunes. They need to really have a major sit-down with the Premiership and install a cap on international players per team if they are going to revive their national squad. Otherwise, the situation is just going to get worse for them. They currently only had 66 players...only 66!...that were eligible for their national squad to choose from:

http://sports.ndtv.com/football/news/223959-fa-may-limit-foreign-players-in-english-premier-league

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Looking back, this WC can be summed up as a combination of pretty much the same old, same old; the exit of the Project 2010 generation; a confirmation that US player development is still behind the rest of the world; and that world class players don't arrive to your program on any sort of schedule.

GK: What can be said except that Howard is a world class player. Hopefully that history of such players at that position continues. If it's Guzman in 2018 that'd be fine, but we need to ID the next guy and put him in with one of the better leagues.

D: Objectively, they stunk. Ghana shot themselves in the foot, and the rest of the games were full of the mistakes we've come to expect from this inexperienced group. Physically, they are fine except for a lack of comfort on the ball. Tactically, and mentally they have a ways to go. All of them need to play in Europe. If Gonzalez and Besler are still in MLS on 2016, I start looking elsewhere for center backs. They were consistently sloppy in there offside trap, though they got away with it most of the time. The biggest issue was allowing time and space to the ball between 20-30 yds out. It's why Belgium had there way all game.

Midfield: Zusi can play at this level but didn't, he'll need to get better in the fitness and speed department. Bedoya and Davis are out, IMO not good enough. Bradley needs to hope that he hasn't peaked, but we are building around him anyway because there is no one else. I'd want to see him on loans to the EPL and find his position as either DCM, CM, or ACM. I think Yedlin's future is in the midfield, he should get himself there as soon as possible. Green needs to develop and find first team minutes somewhere.

ST: Jozy isn't world class, will never be reliable, everyone else is done except for Johannsson, who needs to find a better league with tougher defenders. He looked more overwhelmed that I expected. I don't think Boyd will ever get there. Huge holes to fill at this position.

Coach: This was always a transitional WC, one last hurrah for Donovan, Dempsey, Howard and I thought, Cherundolo. Glad JK was able to find some new faces, recruit dual nationals with real interest from other countries and raise expectations. Problem is he didn't reach them. For all the talk about the Group of Death, the group played exactly as most predicted, escape Ghana with 3pts, get a result from perennially underachieving Portugal, and stay close enough to Germany to get through on differential. The drama from each game obscures the fact that getting through was coming from a few positive bounces of the ball. If we came up a goal short, then expectations would also have been realized.

The winnable Rd of 16 game shows shortcomings of the squad. Basing the roster around Altidore was a problem given his form and mercurial production history. Leaving Donovan off was a mistake, period, end of story whether it would have affected the outcome or not.
The team could not control the ball, make accurate passes either on the run or standing still against opponents of this quality. None of them allowed the US to pass back and forth in the center of the field with any frequency. This was the upgrade in quality that we failed to adjust against. In MLS and Concacaf, this is allowed.

We wondered at Brooks goal and Jones goal, but in truth these are routine strikes at the top level. Greens goal, and Bradley's assist were class, but it takes more than one lighting bolt. Our touches were generally clumsy, halting to the counter. Passes easily broken up.

I'm not sure if the variable tactics was a positive, negative, or just necessary, but I did like that we can adjust and not be pinned down to a single formation, guys were going all over. That is the biggest positive for JKs influence. No modern US team has ever gone outside the basic 4-4-2 box. So there's that.

But at the end of the day 2014, wasn't so different from 2010, 2006, 1994 and while technically worse than 2002, if you sub Mexico for a better squad, we are at the same result. A top 15-20 program. The variance is small in the ledger, but outside of 2002, we rely solely on spirit, fitness, GK, and pinging the ball around the opposing goal. The team peaked in 2009 and is moving away with the exit of Project 2010 generation. We have some intriguing pieces going forward with other huge holes to fill.

What I'd like to see now is Fabian Johnson sign with Everton.

Reaction Score
Then you're listening to a bunch of crackpots that believe that Hodgson had a team that was worth a damn. The English squad has a lot of young talent, but also a lot of old holes to fill. Klinsmann isn't going to change their fortunes. They need to really have a major sit-down with the Premiership and install a cap on international players per team if they are going to revive their national squad. Otherwise, the situation is just going to get worse for them. They currently only had 66 players...only 66!...that were eligible for their national squad to choose from:

http://sports.ndtv.com/football/news/223959-fa-may-limit-foreign-players-in-english-premier-league

Actually what they liked about Klinsmann was how he got the team to play with passion and spirit. The people I was listening to were not happy with England in that regard.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Actually what they liked about Klinsmann was how he got the team to play with passion and spirit. The people I was listening to were not happy with England in that regard.

You will never hear an argument from me on that point. Klinsmann is a master motivator, I believe. But I still think that the English press is giving Hodgson a much harder time than he deserves. When your top league, which just happens to be one of the top 4 leagues in the entire world, only allows you to pick from 66 of your countrymen to find a 23 person squad, then you are in trouble as a nation. That is an average of less than 4 eligible Englishmen per Premiership squad!!!

Reaction Score
You will never hear an argument from me on that point. Klinsmann is a master motivator, I believe. But I still think that the English press is giving Hodgson a much harder time than he deserves. When your top league, which just happens to be one of the top 4 leagues in the entire world, only allows you to pick from 66 of your countrymen to find a 23 person squad, then you are in trouble as a nation. That is an average of less than 4 eligible Englishmen per Premiership squad!!!

I know the Brits well. They really are a defeatist bunch. If they hired JK, they would find a way to say the same crap.

It really has been an interesting discussion. Callers would rave about him and they were all British... then a dude from St. Louis calls in and says "hold on folks, why on earth would JK leave his SoCal lifestyle and take your job only to get inevitably slammed in the tabloids", the host conceded that.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
  • Klinsmann did not do a perfect job. I think that there should have been a better backup plan for Altidore getting hurt or stinking up the joint. I think all of the choices of formations and playing out of position is due in a large part because of this mistake.
  • I think Donovan should have been on the team; I don't know why he wasn't but I trusted in JK's decision. We don't know what was said behind closed doors or in the locker room or what the real reason was; I think it is exceptionally stupid for both sides to be carrying on this debate when we will never know for sure any details.
  • I think we are in a better place now than four years ago, and I expect we will be in an even better place in another four years. I am really excited about our future.
  • If you told me before the Cup that we would be 35 seconds and a defensive brain-fart away from wrapping up progression after the Portugal match I would have considered giving up my left nut.
  • I find it infinitely annoying that human nature dictates that some fans of a common team (or anything having to do with a groups common goal) revel in that teams (or groups) failure just so they could be "proven" right. I qualify this statement by saying it is not isolated to this conversation or any particular poster. I think it happens all the time, everywhere. Where the hell were all of the haters when we were progressing? As soon as we're eliminated they come out of the woodwork saying that LD should have been included. He wasn't... Bringing it up afterwards serves no purpose other than promoting stock in Summer's Eve.
This last point is why I really try to avoid any serious conversations about anything including sports, politics, or current affairs. People's tendencies to be thickheaded, pompous boors just sucks the life any fun out of these conversations.

Nobody here except maybe the soccer haters who want the tournament to end wanted the US to fail in any way shape or form. As far as strawmen go, that's impressive even for the Boneyard.

There aren't even any 'haters'. I haven't seen a single person say that Klinsmann should be removed or things are headed in the wrong direction. That doesn't mean the guy is bulletproof, doesn't have any flaws and can't be criticized or questioned.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
UConnDan97 said:

Personnel dictated the Cameron for Beckerman switch, I thought it a smart move and many who've been following the team wanted Cameron in the holding midfield role. I don't think it affected the outcome at all. That said, I would have moved Cameron to RB and subbed Beckerman for Johnson. Yedlin proved himself but did get caught too far forward at times.

I'm not sure what those positions were? Clearly, didn't have faith to use 2 strikers. That was both a roster problem of his own making and a deference to the fact that he wanted a defensive alignment against Germany. I also think he was expecting the counterattack to continue as it had vs. Portugal.

In the end, Bedoya was for pure defensive speed responsibilities, anything forward was a bonus. Zusi was a disappointment, I expected him to dribble at people and cross more than he did. Instead he just got out of the way of overlaps from Beasley and Johnson. That seems to be most of our offense. It is clear now that all four opponents focused on shutting down Bradley and Dempsey. The later made easier by Jozy's injury. I think Jones and Johnson got more room because of this. Just didn't get enough opportunities to exploit it, or go over the top to Dempsey.

I will say this about Dempsey vs. Belgium. On more than one occasion, he became a black hole looking to force a shot, instead of laying off to an open runner. Not his best performance, beyond the miss in front of goal, but he mostly held up his end.

Reaction Score
Looking back, this WC can be summed up as a combination of pretty much the same old, same old; the exit of the Project 2010 generation; a confirmation that US player development is still behind the rest of the world; and that world class players don't arrive to your program on any sort of schedule.

GK: What can be said except that Howard is a world class player. Hopefully that history of such players at that position continues. If it's Guzman in 2018 that'd be fine, but we need to ID the next guy and put him in with one of the better leagues.

D: Objectively, they stunk. Ghana shot themselves in the foot, and the rest of the games were full of the mistakes we've come to expect from this inexperienced group. Physically, they are fine except for a lack of comfort on the ball. Tactically, and mentally they have a ways to go. All of them need to play in Europe. If Gonzalez and Besler are still in MLS on 2016, I start looking elsewhere for center backs. They were consistently sloppy in there offside trap, though they got away with it most of the time. The biggest issue was allowing time and space to the ball between 20-30 yds out. It's why Belgium had there way all game.

Midfield: Zusi can play at this level but didn't, he'll need to get better in the fitness and speed department. Bedoya and Davis are out, IMO not good enough. Bradley needs to hope that he hasn't peaked, but we are building around him anyway because there is no one else. I'd want to see him on loans to the EPL and find his position as either DCM, CM, or ACM. I think Yedlin's future is in the midfield, he should get himself there as soon as possible. Green needs to develop and find first team minutes somewhere.

ST: Jozy isn't world class, will never be reliable, everyone else is done except for Johannsson, who needs to find a better league with tougher defenders. He looked more overwhelmed that I expected. I don't think Boyd will ever get there. Huge holes to fill at this position.

Coach: This was always a transitional WC, one last hurrah for Donovan, Dempsey, Howard and I thought, Cherundolo. Glad JK was able to find some new faces, recruit dual nationals with real interest from other countries and raise expectations. Problem is he didn't reach them. For all the talk about the Group of Death, the group played exactly as most predicted, escape Ghana with 3pts, get a result from perennially underachieving Portugal, and stay close enough to Germany to get through on differential. The drama from each game obscures the fact that getting through was coming from a few positive bounces of the ball. If we came up a goal short, then expectations would also have been realized.

The winnable Rd of 16 game shows shortcomings of the squad. Basing the roster around Altidore was a problem given his form and mercurial production history. Leaving Donovan off was a mistake, period, end of story whether it would have affected the outcome or not.
The team could not control the ball, make accurate passes either on the run or standing still against opponents of this quality. None of them allowed the US to pass back and forth in the center of the field with any frequency. This was the upgrade in quality that we failed to adjust against. In MLS and Concacaf, this is allowed.

We wondered at Brooks goal and Jones goal, but in truth these are routine strikes at the top level. Greens goal, and Bradley's assist were class, but it takes more than one lighting bolt. Our touches were generally clumsy, halting to the counter. Passes easily broken up.

I'm not sure if the variable tactics was a positive, negative, or just necessary, but I did like that we can adjust and not be pinned down to a single formation, guys were going all over. That is the biggest positive for JKs influence. No modern US team has ever gone outside the basic 4-4-2 box. So there's that.

But at the end of the day 2014, wasn't so different from 2010, 2006, 1994 and while technically worse than 2002, if you sub Mexico for a better squad, we are at the same result. A top 15-20 program. The variance is small in the ledger, but outside of 2002, we rely solely on spirit, fitness, GK, and pinging the ball around the opposing goal. The team peaked in 2009 and is moving away with the exit of Project 2010 generation. We have some intriguing pieces going forward with other huge holes to fill.

What I'd like to see now is Fabian Johnson sign with Everton.

I still mostly disagree about Donovan. I think he sucks the oxygen out of this team at times. I don't think we were worse off without him and frankly it was time to move on!

OK, I am rapidly becoming a JK apologist. I got that. But in this World Cup he had a good plan. Not planning for Altidore going out was a shortcoming, but on the other hand, we really don't have another player with Jozy's attributes. But overall all of his subs save one or two were brilliant. His use of Yedlin was brilliant. He used every outfield player but Mix.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Personnel dictated the Cameron for Beckerman switch, I thought it a smart move and many who've been following the team wanted Cameron in the holding midfield role. I don't think it affected the outcome at all. That said, I would have moved Cameron to RB and subbed Beckerman for Johnson. Yedlin proved himself but did get caught too far forward at times.

I'm not sure what those positions were? Clearly, didn't have faith to use 2 strikers. That was both a roster problem of his own making and a deference to the fact that he wanted a defensive alignment against Germany. I also think he was expecting the counterattack to continue as it had vs. Portugal.

In the end, Bedoya was for pure defensive speed responsibilities, anything forward was a bonus. Zusi was a disappointment, I expected him to dribble at people and cross more than he did. Instead he just got out of the way of overlaps from Beasley and Johnson. That seems to be most of our offense. It is clear now that all four opponents focused on shutting down Bradley and Dempsey. The later made easier by Jozy's injury. I think Jones and Johnson got more room because of this. Just didn't get enough opportunities to exploit it, or go over the top to Dempsey.

I will say this about Dempsey vs. Belgium. On more than one occasion, he became a black hole looking to force a shot, instead of laying off to an open runner. Not his best performance, beyond the miss in front of goal, but he mostly held up his end.

I think that Johnson was particularly effective throughout the campaign. I wouldn't have switched him with Cameron. I even thought Yedlin was effective. But I also thought that the effectiveness of those two players were a major reason why Zusi did NOT look effective. I think having the wingback coming up and down the side (which I like) impacted Zusi's ability to do the same, so he had to tuck inward, where he's not as effective. Could we / should we have seen a Diskerud instead? Maybe Cameron tucked in?

I agree 100% with you that JK had no faith in the strikers he brought outside of Jozy. It begs the question why he brought them, and why not an Eddie Johnson type. But I suppose that means that he didn't trust Eddie either. It's a shame, because I really like the way Eddie plays and I think he could have helped us tremendously. Believe it or not, I'm actually more disappointed about not bringing him than I am about not bringing LD.

But the bottom line is that Dempsey and Michael needed help. And they needed to be pulled one position back each. It means that you require a striker up there. And we only had 1 striker on the roster that the coach believed in...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Saying you are in something 1000% (which is...well, I'll leave that alone for now because it's not Timmy's first language) is a statement of commitment.

Saying you "can't go" 100% is a statement of physical condition, not of commitment.

I know that you understand a lot about soccer, so I'm pretty sure that you understand the nuance above. Whether or not someone believes that Donovan belonged on the squad, the reasoning that's being offered for him not being there is pure sillyness...
The point remains Donovan stated he wasn't able/willing to give 100%. And he'd proved that in the past. (Twice in Klinsmann's eyes). Third strike you're out.

I prefer a coach who doesn't give into the Primadonnas. One who doesn't let the inmates run the asylum. You and some others seem to be ok with it.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
ZooCougar said:
I agree with the principle, but I don't think he is remotely as good as he was before and he is a distraction.

I agree, but what soccer team doesn't have a head case or two. LD's Socal new age persona isn't new, nor was his position as one of the best US players in 2014 deniable. In the end, what the team lacked the most, ball skills and attacking competence is what he would have provided.

My only question, and I'm sure JK thought this as well, how would you play him. He clearly would have come on instead of Yedlin vs. Portugal, bad. But, he probably subs for Jozy, no effect in the end. But, in the last two games he could have easily made the difference.

JK was talking a great deal about how at the WC the little things matter, well leaving off your most productive offensive player is more than a little things, so JK deserves some humble pie in that regard.

I don't know if we make the quarterfinals with him, but it was pretty obvious that there was a spot for him the way it played out.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Oh good words! Like the 50 articles Spackler gave us that they were going to ATTACK. Then did the complete opposite: Breaking a record for clearances against Ghana, not recording a shot on goal against Germany and giving up 39 shots to Belgium.
What?????? :confused:

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
The point remains Donovan stated he wasn't able/willing to give 100%. And he'd proved that in the past. (Twice in Klinsmann's eyes). Third strike you're out.

I prefer a coach who doesn't give into the Primadonnas. One who doesn't let the inmates run the asylum. You and some others seem to be ok with it.

I wasn't advocating for him to be a starter. If he can't go a full 90 minutes, then so be it. If he can't play in Manaus, then so be it. But the idea that we couldn't have used his talents from the bench, especially late in the Germany game when it wasn't clear if we would need to get that goal back and had no way of getting it back from the bench, is silly at best. If Ghana scores the second goal instead of Portugal, I'm guessing that this is an entirely different discussion today...

Reaction Score

First, JK is not as enamored with Landon Donovan as most others. His perspective has greater breadth and depth than everyone else so I am good with that.. Secondly he is not the same productive player that he was 4 years ago, and lastly the sabbatical was bizarre. Imagine if Aaron Rodgers said that he wanted to take a season off. It was just crazy. We wouldn't tolerate that in any of our other major sports and I don't see why people are giving him a pass.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
First, JK is not as enamored with Landon Donovan as most others. His perspective has greater breadth and depth than everyone else so I am good with that.. Secondly he is not the same productive player that he was 4 years ago, and lastly the sabbatical was bizarre. Imagine if Aaron Rodgers said that he wanted to take a season off. It was just crazy. We wouldn't tolerate that in any of our other major sports and I don't see why people are giving him a pass.

Look back in my previous posts to see how we tolerated it for Tim Chandler. The sabbatical was not the reason. Either personal preference or personal feelings, one or the other, dictated the choice. Jurgen's son sent out a tweet that day that led me to conclude one versus the other, but be that as it may, it wasn't the time off that decided the issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom