OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread | Page 59 | The Boneyard

OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If we can somehow win, the US/Argentina... no US versus Messi might garner the biggest ratings in American history.

Reaction Score
I can't believe how close that Swiss header was. Great game. It's unbelievable how many favorites have struggled and barely eeked out, and yet somehow, no upsets. Let's hope tonight's game is a little different.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Bad omen. All of the group winners have won so far.

Rarely do all the #1 seeds make it though. Has to be good that the group winners are 7/7 so far with the US essentially playing the 8/9 game.

Reaction Score
Beckerman not starting according to Grant Wahl. Tim Howard won't get nearly as many touches today.

Reaction Score
4-3-3

Howard
Beasley Besler Gonzo Johnson
Jones Bradley Cameron
Zusi Dempsey Bedoya

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
My god, basketball is just as bad. And if basketball were as fluid it would be as bad or worse, not to mention how in the NBA, the stars get away with so much more than your average player.

I listen to SiriusXM FC a great deal and they carry the British Football talk radio shows. They are as fed up with the flopping as we are.
Soccer is really no more fluid than basketball or hockey. A running clock does not necessarily equal fluidity. What helps that illusion in soccer is 1) No tv timeouts (due to running time) and 2) No need for the ref to handle the ball on throw ins, goal, corner, and non-booking fouls/free kicks. If you remove the tv timeouts from basketball and hockey, the games would take about an hour and half.

On the other hand, if they just haphazardly add about 4 minutes to each half of the National Championship game in April, I probably would have had a heart attack in the Middle of Chicago Sams. No one wants to deal with that.

Reaction Score
Soccer is really no more fluid than basketball or hockey. A running clock does not necessarily equal fluidity. What helps that illusion in soccer is 1) No tv timeouts (due to running time) and 2) No need for the ref to handle the ball on throw ins, goal, corner, and non-booking fouls/free kicks. If you remove the tv timeouts from basketball and hockey, the games would take about an hour and half.

On the other hand, if they just haphazardly add about 4 minutes to each half of the National Championship game in April, I probably would have had a heart attack in the Middle of Chicago Sams. No one wants to deal with that.

Really? soccer has timeouts and commercial breaks?

Reaction Score
USA lineup 1Jul14.png

Cameron starting in the midfield? Has he ever played midfield? What about Davis (not a fan, just wondering). I read this as the US setting-up to disrupt the Belgium push on the wings and keep the ball away from Belgium’s strikers. Also puts additional size against a potentially gimpy Belgium backline.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The Argentina game was not a good one until the last half of extra time. Holy crap! That header by the Swiss player off the goal? The Swiss threw everything at Argentina those last few minutes. Gotta hurt to lose in the final minutes of extra time.

I must say, Messi was drawing triple teams, at minimum, and yet there was no one else to score. At times I felt he tried to push too much. I think his shoulders weigh too heavy knowing what's expected of him. Never the less, great job by him to finally realize he needed to pass on the one goal they did score. Missing Aguero is hurting Argentina because it really leaves Messi by himself. There's no one else to draw defenders away from Messi.

So pumped for the game right now...45 minutes!

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
View attachment 6310

Cameron starting in the midfield? Has he ever played midfield? What about Davis (not a fan, just wondering). I read this as the US setting-up to disrupt the Belgium push on the wings and keep the ball away from Belgium’s strikers. Also puts additional size against a potentially gimpy Belgium backline.
It is definitely an attempt to neutralize Hazard on the wing. Plus it gives them both Gonzalez and Cameron to deal with the physical forwards of Belgium. Not sure where the scoring is coming from though in this lineup....

Reaction Score
View attachment 6310

Was surprised at Cameron as well.

Husky25

Reaction Score
It is definitely an attempt to neutralize Hazard on the wing. Plus it gives them both Gonzalez and Cameron to deal with the physical forwards of Belgium. Not sure where the scoring is coming from though in this lineup....
Jones, Dempsey, and, Zusi setting up the corners.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
4-3-3

Howard
Beasley Besler Gonzo Johnson
Jones Bradley Cameron
Zusi Dempsey Bedoya

Cameron in a straight swap for Beckerman. 4-1-2-2-1, or 4-5-1 for the more vague amongst us.

Reaction Score
I have to admit, I got amped during this time. I think it's happening. I tried so long to avoid it. :rolleyes:

If you can appreciate playoff baseball, and the drama of games decided on 1 or 2 runs, then you should be able to understand the suspense, anticipation, and excitement soccer fans feel when it's a 0-0 game like that, and a late goal is scored, and then the equalizer just minutes later (in extra time) hits the post.

If you're a fan of baseball, who likes seeing 1-0 postseason games, because of the drama involved, then you can learn to appreciate (which is different from liking) world cup soccer in the elimination rounds.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Could also be a double team against Felliani in the air.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I think you need to rethink your post. It's wrong.

The key phrase above is: "I think..."

My post is not wrong, but they will never reduce the number or length of TV timeouts in those sports so it can never be proven.

Reaction Score
The key phrase above is: "I think..."

My post is not wrong, but they will never reduce the number or length of TV timeouts in those sports so it can never be proven.

Honestly you're so off base here I don't even know I give a crap. Tschuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom