OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread | Page 58 | The Boneyard

OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Courant reported that we should not expect to see much of Altidore. Hope that they are wrong.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Courant reported that we should not expect to see much of Altidore. Hope that they are wrong.
Tough choice with Altidore, if he can play at all. Do you try him early (start) and might have to sub him early OR sub him late and might get stuck losing a second sub or playing with only 10??? hmmm.

Reaction Score
Sitting in the bar last night watching Germany / Algeria when they started talking about the US / Belgium match tonight. And English guy two stools down made some comment about how little chance the Americans have; I turn and say in my best cockney accent "Well mate, we have a better shot than than Three Toothless Lions I reckon."

Don't know why he wasn't amused.

Reaction Score
Sitting in the bar last night watching Germany / Algeria when they started talking about the US / Belgium match tonight. And English guy two stools down made some comment about how little chance the Americans have; I turn and say in my best cockney accent "Well mate, we have a better shot than than Three Toothless Lions I reckon."

Damn, were you in a pub in England? A comment like that can set off WWIII.

When I studying in France my Junior year, I played on the school’s soccer team (in France, University teams are maybe DIII level in the US, all of the good players play for club teams). We were playing the cross-town rival school and their striker (I was playing a CDM role in a diamond midfield) was trash talking me about how bad the US is, asked me if I knew how to kick the ball, etc. In turn, I asked him if France was so good, why I had not seen them in the last 2 World Cups (1990, 1994) while I had seen the US play (this was before France won the 1998 Cup). The guy turned red, jumped me and proceeded to swing haymakers at me. I was too busy laughing to retaliate, even though I took a few blows. He got the Red and my team beat his 10 man team (this happened 10 minutes in) 3 to 1. Needless to say, I did not have to buy a single beer that weekend.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Tough choice with Altidore, if he can play at all. Do you try him early (start) and might have to sub him early OR sub him late and might get stuck losing a second sub or playing with only 10??? hmmm.
This is the part that makes it hard. You want Jozy in there because we could use all the offense we can get. However, when you're limited to 3 subs a game, can you risk being forced to use one early on him? Or if you use him as a sub, being stuck with him out there hurt and limping for the remainder of the game?? I'm thinking he sits this out unless we are in desperation mode....

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
My best guess is that Altidore will be a sub and be the 1st or 2nd sub later in the 2nd half. If the game is tied, you have to worry about an additional 30 minutes of play and if you use Altidore as your last sub, you won't be able to bring in anybody to replace him should he get re-injured in extra time. That's a very dangerous proposition.

Reaction Score
This is the part that makes it hard. You want Jozy in there because we could use all the offense we can get. However, when you're limited to 3 subs a game, can you risk being forced to use one early on him? Or if you use him as a sub, being stuck with him out there hurt and limping for the remainder of the game?? I'm thinking he sits this out unless we are in desperation mode....
Think this is the case, only a Karl Heinz rumminegge situation gets him on the field. But then again, would not be surprised to see anything.

Reaction Score

I cannot wait until we go very very deep in one of these WC tournaments, because of the added bonus of making so many foreigners delirious with misery.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Think this is the case, only a Karl Heinz rumminegge situation gets him on the field. But then again, would not be surprised to see anything.

What does this mean in English?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The most disappointing thing about the tournament is that the Swiss goalie isn't dressed as Grimace.

Reaction Score
I would rather start Wondo up front, and move Dempsey back. Otherwise you start Jozy and sub him if he is lame. If you sub him in later and he isn't good then you have to double sub.

Personally I have my doubts that he will play.

Reaction Score
Nope, I live in Germany... Trash talking is pretty fun between these two.

Just a friendly suggestion, limit your trash talking to soccer fans. Try that with Rugby fans and no one may ever find your body.

Reaction Score
I would rather start Wondo up front, and move Dempsey back. Otherwise you start Jozy and sub him if he is lame. If you sub him in later and he isn't good then you have to double sub.

Wondo has a good motor; but, he is a ball hawk at this level. Someone needs to be able to get him the ball inside the 18 yard box to be effective. Thus, he’s good as a sub when the US needs/wants a goal and is getting pressure on net; but, he cannot create his own pressure.

Reaction Score
If the US advances and assuming Argentina figures out how to score against the Swiss, the crowd will be very pro US in that game. I doubt the Swiss are in Brazil in any significant numbers, yet the crowd is significantly pro Swiss likely due to the fact that the locals do not to see Messi and his team in the final against Brazil.

Reaction Score
I am really trying to get into this soccer but.....my God...it's like a bunch of girls flopping and crying to the refs....it's embarrassing. I'm sure this has been talked about but I have not taken it upon myself to read this thread.

I did watch the entire USA vs Ger match and did not see half as much flopping crap as this Sui vs Arg.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

I agree, either he's fit to start or he won't be seen at all unless we get desperate late. My gut says no. I do think we need two strikers. We need to generate some offense. Playing for PK's from the start is a bad move. We haven't kept a clean sheet yet, and there will be a mistake in the back. I'd rather get beat being aggressive than absorb pressure for 80 mins before conceding.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If the US advances and assuming Argentina figures out how to score against the Swiss, the crowd will be very pro US in that game. I doubt the Swiss are in Brazil in any significant numbers, yet the crowd is significantly pro Swiss likely due to the fact that the locals do not to see Messi and his team in the final against Brazil.

It's much simpler than that -- The Brazilians and Argentinians hate each other. So whoever plays Argentina = crowd favorite in Brazil.

Reaction Score
Agreed, I believe that if we see Altidore at all today it means we are down a goal late, and pulling out all the stops to equalize. Hamstrings take a while to recover from, and are easily re-aggravated.

Reaction Score
I am really trying to get into this soccer but.....my God...it's like a bunch of girls flopping and crying to the refs....it's embarrassing. I'm sure this has been talked about but I have not taken it upon myself to read this thread.

I did watch the entire USA vs Ger match and did not see half as much flopping crap as this Sui vs Arg.

I think the same thing in NBA basketball. This hasn't exactly been a great game. There have, however, been some spectacular games so far. I mean, come on, did you see that RvP goal against Spain in the first round? That was INSANE. Netherlands/Mexico and Brazil/Chile were both really good games. You can't judge a sport by its worst components or worst games, really.

If you want to see some great soccer, you need to watch the top clubs - Barcelona, Real Madrid, Manchester City, Liverpool, Bayern Munich, etc. They're veritable all-star teams.

Country clubs often aren't as good because they lack chemistry, as they basically play together once every couple of years, depending on the tournament, etc.

Reaction Score

Germany and the US historically aren't big on flopping.

Reaction Score
I think the same thing in NBA basketball. This hasn't exactly been a great game. There have, however, been some spectacular games so far. I mean, come on, did you see that RvP goal against Spain in the first round? That was INSANE. Netherlands/Mexico and Brazil/Chile were both really good games. You can't judge a sport by its worst components or worst games, really.

If you want to see some great soccer, you need to watch the top clubs - Barcelona, Real Madrid, Manchester City, Liverpool, Bayern Munich, etc. They're veritable all-star teams.

Country clubs often aren't as good because they lack chemistry, as they basically play together once every couple of years, depending on the tournament, etc.

My god, basketball is just as bad. And if basketball were as fluid it would be as bad or worse, not to mention how in the NBA, the stars get away with so much more than your average player.

I listen to SiriusXM FC a great deal and they carry the British Football talk radio shows. They are as fed up with the flopping as we are.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
That's exactly how you do not want to go out. Feel bad for the Swiss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom