OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread | Page 55 | The Boneyard

OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tough penalty to concede. Half hearted challenge. Ref will call that every time, in spite of minimal contact and a sniper victim sell job..
I agree that last PK would be called most of the time, might not have gotten that call if the penalty in the first half wasn't missed.

Tough break for Mexico; I don't know what was wrong with the Dutch today, but they seemed a tick off most of the game.

Reaction Score
There area great people, there are good people, there are bad people, and then there is Rafa Marquez.

Karma is a bitch.

Reaction Score
Definitely embellished but kind of justice for the one that was missed in the 1st half. Tough for Mexico though.
I have always felt that the main reason for flops and embellishment is exactly because officials swallow the whistles when fouls do occur. It is a swinging pendulum where at times the refs err on the side of fouls and other times on the side of 'flops'. Tough job, because often contact occurs, the question is: is there enough contact to call a foul? Feel for any team when they lose like Mexico, IVC etc.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
We all understand his role. But if that's the case, then why is it that every time we win possession the ball finds it's way to him and then...nothing. Bypass him on the freaking buildup, then we don't have to have this conversation. He's the least objectionable option at this point, let's not make like he's doing something spectacular.

Well, most of the experts (and all of the ones on ESPN to mention him) disagree with you. I'm fine with that...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
UConnDan97 said:
Well, most of the experts (and all of the ones on ESPN to mention him) disagree with you. I'm fine with that...

They're grading him against expectations and job description. I'm grading him as a possession midfielder which, as played, has been his role and it's hurting the atrack.

Be careful of experts and ESPN. Most of what I'm seeing and reading is clearly from people who either haven't seen competitive soccer before, are friends with the US squad, have been partying too much in Brazil, or are Alexis Lalas.

Listen to the guys with the funny accents. RVN and Ballack haven't exactly been gushing over the US midfield outside of Jones who has had a tremendous WC so far.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
They're grading him against expectations and job description. I'm grading him as a possession midfielder which, as played, has been his role and it's hurting the atrack.

Be careful of experts and ESPN. Most of what I'm seeing and reading is clearly from people who either haven't seen competitive soccer before, are friends with the US squad, have been partying too much in Brazil, or are Alexis Lalas.

Listen to the guys with the funny accents. RVN and Ballack haven't exactly been gushing over the US midfield outside of Jones who has had a tremendous WC so far.

The fact that you think I lumped Lalas into the "experts" pool is probably the most offensive thing you've ever said to me! ;)

Look, we're gonna disagree on this one, and that's fine. We're both rooting for him to do well (I think), and let's hope he brings a great game against Belgium...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Costa Rica is running on empty. Will need a miracle to make it to PKs

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I'm glad the PK's went the way they did. Not only was Costa Rica the better team, but they were also absolutely robbed by the fact that the ref missed an intentional handball in the box to prevent a goal. Not only should that have resulted in a PK to take a 2-0 lead, but it should have resulted in a red card due to the intent.

The ref misses it, and instead of being up 2-0 and a man advantage, Costa Rica ends up going a man down and the Greeks tie it up 1-1. But Costa Rica showed a lot of heart and a lot of team D, and they got the job done. CONCACAF rolls into the quarters. Hopefully, we can join them on Tuesday...

Reaction Score
I'm glad the PK's went the way they did. Not only was Costa Rica the better team, but they were also absolutely robbed by the fact that the ref missed an intentional handball in the box to prevent a goal. Not only should that have resulted in a PK to take a 2-0 lead, but it should have resulted in a red card due to the intent.

The ref misses it, and instead of being up 2-0 and a man advantage, Costa Rica ends up going a man down and the Greeks tie it up 1-1. But Costa Rica showed a lot of heart and a lot of team D, and they got the job done. CONCACAF rolls into the quarters. Hopefully, we can join them on Tuesday...

I disagree with most of this post.

1. Greece carried the play and attacked prior to the red card. Before the red card, they had most of the shots and the clear chances.

2. Everyone missed the handball including the announcers and the stadium. Why? Because it was unintentional. The guy went to head the ball and it brushed his skull and onto his hand. The fact is, it would not have mattered anyway because if he hadn't done that, the cross would have sailed out of bounds, which is what happened anyway. In fact, it would have been Greek ball instead of Costa Rica ball if he hadn't touched it with his hand.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

1. Greece carried the play and attacked prior to the red card. Before the red card, they had most of the shots and the clear chances.

2. Everyone missed the handball including the announcers and the stadium. Why? Because it was unintentional. The guy went to head the ball and it brushed his skull and onto his hand. The fact is, it would not have mattered anyway because if he hadn't done that, the cross would have sailed out of bounds, which is what happened anyway. In fact, it would have been Greek ball instead of Costa Rica ball if he hadn't touched it with his hand.

Yeah that didn't look intentional to me either.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

You wanna tell me again how it wasn't intentional? :rolleyes:

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2014...-denied-penalty-as-ref-misses-greece-handball

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
That, my friends, is what we call a "professional handball". Like the Hand of God that Maradona used. Just because the refs missed it does not mean that it was unintentional...

Reaction Score

Your link shows it's unintentional. He is flying in to head the ball. Everyone thought he had headed it but he missed it and it hit his hand. You actually think he was trying to hit it with his hand there? You can clearly see his head go toward the ball to hit it. How in the world is he then going to swing his hand .00001 seconds after missing it with his head?

Reaction Score
That, my friends, is what we call a "professional handball". Like the Hand of God that Maradona used. Just because the refs missed it does not mean that it was unintentional...

Oh my god. Like Maradona? You can't be serious.

Maradona put his hand up to score. This guy missed a header and the ball was flying out of bounds regardless. Talk about hypoerbole.

Reaction Score

I watched this live back in 86:

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Your link shows it's unintentional. He is flying in to head the ball. Everyone thought he had headed it but he missed it and it hit his hand. You actually think he was trying to hit it with his hand there? You can clearly see his head go toward the ball to hit it. How in the world is he then going to swing his hand .00001 seconds after missing it with his head?

You're crazy! You're flat out crazy. I'm sorry. If it just hit his hand, the hand would have flailed away from his body after the contact. Instead, the hand was coming down. It's because he swiped it. I've seen this done numerous times on the field. He knows he may miss the contact with his head, and does not know who the sliding player is coming in (I believe it was a fellow Greek defender, whose kleat you can see in the last moment of the GIF). He's swinging his arm prior to the arrival of the ball, and he gives it a "knock". Extremely easy call, and extremely on purpose...

Reaction Score
You're crazy! You're flat out crazy. I'm sorry. If it just hit his hand, the hand would have flailed away from his body after the contact. Instead, the hand was coming down. It's because he swiped it. I've seen this done numerous times on the field. He knows he may miss the contact with his head, and does not know who the sliding player is coming in (I believe it was a fellow Greek defender, whose kleat you can see in the last moment of the GIF). He's swinging his arm prior to the arrival of the ball, and he gives it a "knock". Extremely easy call, and extremely on purpose...

You're the only person who thinks it's intentional. So far one other person here besides me think it's unintentional. And the comparison to Maradona? And you think I'm crazy? Whoa.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Look at the position of his hand in the beginning of that GIF. It's starting out as if he's making the "N" in UCONN. There's a reason for that. It's NOT a natural running position, nor is it a falling position, nor is it a natural diving position. That hand is there for a reason. If you don't believe it, well then I don't know what to tell you other than that you are wrong...

Reaction Score
Look at the position of his hand in the beginning of that GIF. It's starting out as if he's making the "N" in UCONN. There's a reason for that. It's NOT a natural running position, nor is it a falling position, nor is it a natural diving position. That hand is there for a reason. If you don't believe it, well then I don't know what to tell you other than that you are wrong...

Oh my god, have you ever seen the way players jump to head the ball? That's what he was doing. The announcers absolutely did not think it was intentional.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
You're the only person who thinks it's intentional. So far one other person here besides me think it's unintentional. And the comparison to Maradona? And you think I'm crazy? Whoa.

Nobody thinks it was a handball???

The first three links that Google directed me to, when typing "Costa Rica Greece handball" were the SB Nation GIF that I included and the following two sites, one which labeled the event as a "massive Greek handball":

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...Costa-Rica-vs-Greece-World-Cup-2014-live.html
http://fansided.com/2014/06/29/world-cup-costa-rica-defeats-greece-pks-advance-quarterfinals/#!59G50

The one that said "massive Greek handball" appears to be an English site, so there doesn't seem to be any bias on the face of their article. It was deliberate, dude. I've seen it a lot before...

Reaction Score
Nobody thinks it was a handball???

The first three links that Google directed me to, when typing "Costa Rica Greece handball" were the SB Nation GIF that I included and the following two sites, one which labeled the event as a "massive Greek handball":

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...Costa-Rica-vs-Greece-World-Cup-2014-live.html
http://fansided.com/2014/06/29/world-cup-costa-rica-defeats-greece-pks-advance-quarterfinals/#!59G50

The one that said "massive Greek handball" appears to be an English site, so there doesn't seem to be any bias on the face of their article. It was deliberate, dude. I've seen it a lot before...

Uh, it was a handball.

No one said otherwise.

So why are you linking to sites saying it was a handball?

AND, on the game replay, which was from the other angle, the guy's eyes were closed when he went to head it. Miraculously, this fellow is like Keanu Reeves in the Matrix. He doesn't even need to see the ball to knock it out of the sky with his hand.

I do want to know one thing: how can you read a sentence that says, "No one else thinks it was intentional," and somehow you read that sentence as, "Nobody thinks it was a handball."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom