OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread | Page 54 | The Boneyard

OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That English ref called an incredibly fair game today for chile versus Brazil. Chili looked like the better team but sat back the last 20 minutes and extra time. If you're going to play for penalty kicks you better make the penalty kicks.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
That English ref called an incredibly fair game today for chile versus Brazil. Chili looked like the better team but sat back the last 20 minutes and extra time. If you're going to play for penalty kicks you better make the penalty kicks.

Oh, I don't know. Do you think that might have had anything to do with the fact that 2 of their top 3 attackers had been pulled off the field (Vargas, Vidal), along with their best defender (Medel)?!? :rolleyes:

Even given all that, Pinilla still hit the crossbar in overtime...

Reaction Score
UConnDan97 said:
Oh, I don't know. Do you think that might have had anything to do with the fact that 2 of their top 3 attackers had been pulled off the field (Vargas, Vidal), along with their best defender (Medel)?!? :rolleyes: Even given all that, Pinilla still hit the crossbar in overtime...
I wasn't paying close enough attention, but were the strikers pulled for injuries or defensive subs? I know medel had an injury, but I think that was very late or in extra time.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I wasn't paying close enough attention, but were the strikers pulled for injuries or defensive subs? I know medel had an injury, but I think that was very late or in extra time.

Vidal is coming off of an injury, so he wasn't fit to go the full 90 anyways. They got what they could from him. Pinilla actually came in for him (and rang the woodwork). Vargas, I'm not sure if he was injured or if it was tactical. Medel's leg almost fell off in overtime, so they absolutely had to take him off.

The worst part of all of that is the fact that I'm certain that Vidal and Vargas would have been two of the penalty shooters if they could have stayed in the game (Vidal makes all his PK's for Juventus in Italy). Unfortunate ending for Chile...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Uggh. What numbers are you referring to? The guy averages 4 goals and 7 assists every 28 games for Real Salt Lake over the last 4 years. That's not gangbusters, but it's not bad either. That's a better average per game than Maurice Edu currently for Toronto. That's even a better average per game than Michael Bradley for Toronto this year. And it's a better average than Jermaine Jones, even though Jermaine is playing in tougher leagues.

So I don't know what numbers you're complaining about. But I don't really have to convince you. I've played defensive midfielder myself for over 20 years (or "stopper" in front of a flat-back three), and I can tell you with great certainty that the way he is maintaining possession with negative passing is absolutely the right thing to do. If you don't believe me, and if you don't believe Spain's David Silva, well then I don't know what else to tell you...

I like Beckerman. I am a huge fan of underdogs. I like his backstory with his notes to his mother.

He's played as well as he possibly can in the last three games. If you have him on the field you have a ceiling, he completely takes the air of the attack. If he was half as good going forward as he is going backwards, Belgium would be in a lot more trouble.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I like Beckerman. I am a huge fan of underdogs. I like his backstory with his notes to his mother.

He's played as well as he possibly can in the last three games. If you have him on the field you have a ceiling, he completely takes the air of the attack. If he was half as good going forward as he is going backwards, Belgium would be in a lot more trouble.

That's not the role that Klinsmann has him in. It's as simple as that. If he played a little higher up like he does at Real Salt Lake, you would see him going forward more. This is a consequence of the 4-1-4-1 formation. He's the "1". It means Jones should have a little more freedom (not much more), and it also means that more offense is expected from Bradley. Unfortunately, I think Bradley does much better when there are more white jerseys in front of him...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's not the role that Klinsmann has him in. It's as simple as that. If he played a little higher up like he does at Real Salt Lake, you would see him going forward more. This is a consequence of the 4-1-4-1 formation. He's the "1". It means Jones should have a little more freedom (not much more), and it also means that more offense is expected from Bradley. Unfortunately, I think Bradley does much better when there are more white jerseys in front of him...

Real Salt Lake =\= World Cup. He's had the best fortnight of his life but he's not good enough going forward.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Excuse my spelling. Beckerman is the quintessential American World Cup player. By sheer force of will he overachieves, but in the end talent wins out.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Real Salt Lake =\= World Cup. He's had the best fortnight of his life but he's not good enough going forward.

Here we go again.

I KNOW that Real Salt Lake does not equal WC competition. But what people here don't seem to understand is that the role he's being asked to perform for the National team is NOT EQUAL to the role that he is performing for Real Salt Lake. He is being asked to "stay home". It's as simple as that. If you don't believe me, I'll pull a couple of highlight reels from RSL over the last couple of years, where you'll see that he goes forward plenty fine, he creates chances, and he's often hanging around the top of the offensive box.

That's not what Klinsmann wants him doing, which is why he's not doing it. Rather than saying he's not good enough going forward, people should be complimenting him on his great discipline for NOT going forward when it must be eating him alive inside that he wants to...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
By the way, Whaler, it's actually kinda refreshing that we find ourselves on the opposite side of a discussion for the first time in a long time! It was getting boring around here with your constant agreement with my points of view... ;)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
By the way, Whaler, it's actually kinda refreshing that we find ourselves on the opposite side of a discussion for the first time in a long time! It was getting boring around here with your constant agreement with my points of view... ;)

I'm not sure we are. I agree he's doing what he is asked to do and he's done pretty well.

I guess I disagree that if he were asked to do something different he'd be successful.

I'd say he was like their fifth most valuable player in group play, but when they go out he'll stick out like a sore thumb.

Reaction Score
Beckerman is basically an illustration of the Peter Principle. He is simply not a world class player.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Beckerman is basically an illustration of the Peter Principle. He is simply not a world class player.

The USMNT only has one world class player, and he wears a different color shirt than everyone else. The next closest to that level is a striker with a broken nose, and that's about it. The magic of this team is that we are gonna advance with a team that is made up almost exclusively with players that are NOT "world class"...

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I can't find the link, but I read a random blog somewhere yesterday that was suggesting moving Bradley to the back of the diamond and putting Mix in at the top (I don't recall if he wanted Beckermann to come off, or someone else). I don't have the insight that others on this thread have, but I suspect we'll see one or two players make entrances that haven't seen the field in group play.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I can't find the link, but I read a random blog somewhere yesterday that was suggesting moving Bradley to the back of the diamond and putting Mix in at the top (I don't recall if he wanted Beckermann to come off, or someone else). I don't have the insight that others on this thread have, but I suspect we'll see one or two players make entrances that haven't seen the field in group play.

I saw something along those lines too. I'm assuming that the player to come out would be a wing midfielder (Bedoya or Zusi), but I'm not sure about that. The reason I don't think that would happen is due to the fact that Klinsmann has played 21 of the 23 players in the tourney so far, and one of the two that haven't yet played is Mix (if I'm not mistaken). I'm not sure how confident Klinsmann is with Mix or a couple of others on the bench.

I think the biggest chance at a lineup change would happen if Jozy's recovery is indeed as far along as the media is reporting. I think only then would you see Bradley drop back a bit more into a more comfortable role for him...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I haven't seen Dirk Kuyt play since he was on Liverpool. I always liked that guy, he's relentless.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Mexico has been the better side for stretches of the 1st half but they just dodged a HUGE bullet there that the ref didn't award a PK to the Dutch.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Here we go again.

I KNOW that Real Salt Lake does not equal WC competition. But what people here don't seem to understand is that the role he's being asked to perform for the National team is NOT EQUAL to the role that he is performing for Real Salt Lake. He is being asked to "stay home". It's as simple as that. If you don't believe me, I'll pull a couple of highlight reels from RSL over the last couple of years, where you'll see that he goes forward plenty fine, he creates chances, and he's often hanging around the top of the offensive box.

That's not what Klinsmann wants him doing, which is why he's not doing it. Rather than saying he's not good enough going forward, people should be complimenting him on his great discipline for NOT going forward when it must be eating him alive inside that he wants to...

We all understand his role. But if that's the case, then why is it that every time we win possession the ball finds it's way to him and then...nothing. Bypass him on the freaking buildup, then we don't have to have this conversation. He's the least objectionable option at this point, let's not make like he's doing something spectacular.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Tough penalty to concede. Half hearted challenge. Ref will call that every time, in spite of minimal contact and a sniper victim sell job..

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Definitely embellished but kind of justice for the one that was missed in the 1st half. Tough for Mexico though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom