OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread | Page 53 | The Boneyard

OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Exactly. Getting my DOs mixed up. Yeah, I didn't notice how bad Beckerman was playing until I watched the game again.

I was listening to some British Football Show on SiriusXM yesterday and they were ripping him and I was surprised but after I watched the game again I had to agree.
Meh... I'm 50/50 on Beckerman. I only watched the match once and probably won't get another chance, but I thought he was serviceable but not good.

One guy I thought did a better than expected job was Omar Gonzalez; I threw up in my mouth when I saw him on the lineup, but he did a solid job back there.

Reaction Score
Meh... I'm 50/50 on Beckerman. I only watched the match once and probably won't get another chance, but I thought he was serviceable but not good.

One guy I thought did a better than expected job was Omar Gonzalez; I threw up in my mouth when I saw him on the lineup, but he did a solid job back there.

Looked at match grades for players and the grades are all over the place from article to article. Omar almost had an own goal but he rebounded nicely.

I just hope Jermaine Jones doesn't have a broken nose.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
ZooCougar said:
I watched the game again last night.

Second viewing thoughts.

In this tournament, Jermaine Jones has become our most important player after Time Howard. He is our engine, he is our destroyer. I think he has been bummed about getting cut loose from the Bundesliga and has only played 10 matches with his club in Turkey. Playing for the USMNT this year has rejuvenated him.

First 10 minutes the team was on it's back foot or gave Germany too much respect.

At about the 60 minute mark you can see the team pretty much run out of gas and it was like they were towing parachutes. Manaus effect...

Beckerman is a as much of a liability as Bradley.

Davis won't start again.

In the next match, JK should consider bringing Yedlin in earlier as a change up. We'll get one or two mor runs out of him and every time he has appeared he has had a disruptive effect.

So.... we only brought two strikers. And this is just speculation on my part.. but If Altidore still isn't 100% then I think JK just might consider starting Wondolowski in Dempsey's spot, move Dempsey back to mid, or even play two forwards. We need to get Dempsey the ball more since Bradley isn't creating anything.

That's all for now.

I agree. I'd put Bradley in for Beckerman and either Mix or Wondo in for Bradley. Zusi needs to play for as long as he can with Bedoya/Yedlin making up the rest of the wing play. I'm also ready to give Green a short cameo.

Biggest decision is Cameron or Gonzalez? My gut tells me Cameron though Omar did pretty well in the second half. Besler needs to stay, although some needs to tell him not to jump out of the way on a long shot from outside the 18. He could have blocked that goal.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
ZooCougar said:
Looked at match grades for players and the grades are all over the place from article to article. Omar almost had an own goal but he rebounded nicely.

I just hope Jermaine Jones doesn't have a broken nose.

He has a broken nose.

Reaction Score
I agree. I'd put Bradley in for Beckerman and either Mix or Wondo in for Bradley. Zusi needs to play for as long as he can with Bedoya/Yedlin making up the rest of the wing play. I'm also ready to give Green a short cameo.

Biggest decision is Cameron or Gonzalez? My gut tells me Cameron though Omar did pretty well in the second half. Besler needs to stay, although some needs to tell him not to jump out of the way on a long shot from outside the 18. He could have blocked that goal.

I think Green is redshirting:) Seriously, could you imagine if he had played yesterday? Doesn't he basically play in the Bundesliga 4th Division?

Reaction Score
Can we get Jozy back is a big question mark. Is he healthy and will we have to waste a sub. Amazing that we made it through without him. Maybe the second half if we need to pressure.. I watched again. Beckerman well he is Beckerman. He put the lid on any counter attack by Germany. Plain and simple he stopped build up in the middle immediately. If we can get Bradley and Jones to play at the "Jones" level we will be a real good team.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
He also gave away a bunch of balls. Sorry, I just don't see it. Watch the game again.

I've got it on DVR. I didn't see the "bunch of balls" that you think he gave up. I saw solid passing out of pressure, and I saw solid defense including some last-ditch recovery defense. He also took an important yellow card to prevent a dangerous German attack. I think you might need to rewatch the game for a third time...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Can we get Jozy back is a big question mark. Is he healthy and will we have to waste a sub. Amazing that we made it through without him. Maybe the second half if we need to pressure.. I watched again. Beckerman well he is Beckerman. He put the lid on any counter attack by Germany. Plain and simple he stopped build up in the middle immediately. If we can get Bradley and Jones to play at the "Jones" level we will be a real good team.
It makes getting out of the group of death even more amazing. No Altidore and Bradley playing like crap.

Reaction Score
I've got it on DVR. I didn't see the "bunch of balls" that you think he gave up. I saw solid passing out of pressure, and I saw solid defense including some last-ditch recovery defense. He also took an important yellow card to prevent a dangerous German attack. I think you might need to rewatch the game for a third time...

No way Jose. I will grant that the yellow was fair play. But the rest of it was really underwhelming. Of course if you go to the Salt Lake City Papers they gave him a 7.5/A+++++++ rating which is hilarious because he is the RSL Captain.

Reaction Score
Brian Sciaretta @BrianSciaretta · 4h
Sources are telling me that there is now lots of interest from clubs in England & Germany for #usmnt defender Matt Besler

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I think Green is redshirting:) Seriously, could you imagine if he had played yesterday? Doesn't he basically play in the Bundesliga 4th Division?

I think he still needs to play in an official match for the US, no? Or, does the one-time transfer mean he's ours? I don't remember if he every played for the German Federation. If that's the case he could still use his transfer. I'm talking stoppage time sub, here, nothing meaningful.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score

Watch what happens when he gets the ball just inside the US half. It invariably ends up back at Tim Howard's feet. It kills any attacking momentum and allows the opponent to set up both pressure and defense. A quality holding midfielder will take a couple dribbles and find a teammate, or be facing forward more often than facing his own goal in possession.

The guys has maxed out his potential, good for him, and made a few good defensive plays but that's not international level play going on out there.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Watch what happens when he gets the ball just inside the US half. It invariably ends up back at Tim Howard's feet. It kills any attacking momentum and allows the opponent to set up both pressure and defense. A quality holding midfielder will take a couple dribbles and find a teammate, or be facing forward more often than facing his own goal in possession.

The guys has maxed out his potential, good for him, and made a few good defensive plays but that's not international level play going on out there.

I don't know what it is with some of the people here that think that a pass backwards is a bad pass! I'm not trying to pick on you specifically, but this is a theme that I keep seeing over and over again. Passing backwards to pass out of pressure and retain possession is ABSOLUTELY the right thing to do! And just about every time he did it, it's because he had to do it. If anyone thinks that I am wrong about that, I would offer for them to watch the following players; Pirlo and Xavi. Those two guys have hit more negative balls than most people have kicked a soccer ball. And they are both "Hall of Fame" level world talents. This ideology really has to stop...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Here is a tutorial from David Silva....not too bad of a player....on the backward pass to allow possession to be held and to regenerate the offense:

Enjoy...

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I don't know what it is with some of the people here that think that a pass backwards is a bad pass! I'm not trying to pick on you specifically, but this is a theme that I keep seeing over and over again. Passing backwards to pass out of pressure and retain possession is ABSOLUTELY the right thing to do! And just about every time he did it, it's because he had to do it. If anyone thinks that I am wrong about that, I would offer for them to watch the following players; Pirlo and Xavi. Those two guys have hit more negative balls than most people have kicked a soccer ball. And they are both "Hall of Fame" level world talents. This ideology really has to stop...

Sometimes...sometimes the right play is to pass is back. It's Beckerman's default mode. Half the time he isn't looking up field. Ball don't lie and neither do the numbers.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Sometimes...sometimes the right play is to pass is back. It's Beckerman's default mode. Half the time he isn't looking up field. Ball don't lie and neither do the numbers.

Uggh. What numbers are you referring to? The guy averages 4 goals and 7 assists every 28 games for Real Salt Lake over the last 4 years. That's not gangbusters, but it's not bad either. That's a better average per game than Maurice Edu currently for Toronto. That's even a better average per game than Michael Bradley for Toronto this year. And it's a better average than Jermaine Jones, even though Jermaine is playing in tougher leagues.

So I don't know what numbers you're complaining about. But I don't really have to convince you. I've played defensive midfielder myself for over 20 years (or "stopper" in front of a flat-back three), and I can tell you with great certainty that the way he is maintaining possession with negative passing is absolutely the right thing to do. If you don't believe me, and if you don't believe Spain's David Silva, well then I don't know what else to tell you...

Reaction Score
Uggh. What numbers are you referring to? The guy averages 4 goals and 7 assists every 28 games for Real Salt Lake over the last 4 years. That's not gangbusters, but it's not bad either. That's a better average per game than Maurice Edu currently for Toronto. That's even a better average per game than Michael Bradley for Toronto this year. And it's a better average than Jermaine Jones, even though Jermaine is playing in tougher leagues.

So I don't know what numbers you're complaining about. But I don't really have to convince you. I've played defensive midfielder myself for over 20 years (or "stopper" in front of a flat-back three), and I can tell you with great certainty that the way he is maintaining possession with negative passing is absolutely the right thing to do. If you don't believe me, and if you don't believe Spain's David Silva, well then I don't know what else to tell you...

Jeff Hathaway has better vision than Beckerman.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Jeff Hathaway has better vision than Beckerman.

I think you're referring to Jones. But hey, Jones is a friggin' workhorse, so screw his prescription eyewear needs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom