OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread | Page 52 | The Boneyard

OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Playing a physical, fast, angry Ghana team after playing a game in Manus would not have gone well for the US.

Not sure I agree with that. Ghana wasn't physical, angry, or fast for their opening game of the tournament?

Reaction Score
Mr. Conehead said:
Rooting for Portugal was one of the hardest things I have ever done…

You weren't rooting for them. You were rooting for us.

So who can breakdown the next match for us non-experts?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Mr. Conehead said:
Luckily, Center Back is a position the US has depht with between Besler, Cameroon, Gonzalez, and Brooks. As for central midfieler or striker, not so much.

Add left midfielder to that list.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Kgun7 said:
Not sure I agree with that. Ghana wasn't physical, angry, or fast for their opening game of the tournament?

Ghana was physically impressive, but mentally inept. They weren't a team and tactically suspect. Playground ball doesn't work in the world cup.

Now Japan, easily the worst performance in Brazil.

Reaction Score
J187Money said:
You weren't rooting for them. You were rooting for us. So who can breakdown the next match for us non-experts?

Belgium is very good, but has to some degree been underwhelming (if getting 9 points can be considered underwhelming - they have done all of their scoring in the 70th minute or later). They have a gifted playmaking midfielder in Hazard who is one of the top players in the world in the tier below Messi and Ronaldo. They have a very good target forward in Fellaini (you'll know him by his hair), who is one of the toughest in the world in the air, although he wasn't in good form in the EPL this year. Very strong defensively, like the Germans, with Kompany in the center - he's been a stud center back for Manchester City the last few years.

Odds would probably lean toward a 1-0 Belgium win, which means we need to try to take advantage of a rare good scoring chance, and not let them play with a lead (they will protect better than Portugal). But it also means we shouldn't be out of the game unless we collapse or if Belgium just happens to have one of those days where they bury everything. Of course, this probably means it will be 3-2, since it isn't what you would expect.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Belgium is very good, but has to some degree been underwhelming (if getting 9 points can be considered underwhelming - they have done all of their scoring in the 70th minute or later). They have a gifted playmaking midfielder in Hazard who is one of the top players in the world in the tier below Messi and Ronaldo. They have a very good target forward in Fellaini (you'll know him by his hair), who is one of the toughest in the world in the air, although he wasn't in good form in the EPL this year. Very strong defensively, like the Germans, with Kompany in the center - he's been a stud center back for Manchester City the last few years.

Odds would probably lean toward a 1-0 Belgium win, which means we need to try to take advantage of a rare good scoring chance, and not let them play with a lead (they will protect better than Portugal). But it also means we shouldn't be out of the game unless we collapse or if Belgium just happens to have one of those days where they bury everything. Of course, this probably means it will be 3-2, since it isn't what you would expect.

They have a number of talented players in addition to the ones listed above. They do have a habit of playing down to their competition. It could also be said they lack grit given the size of some of them. Dangerous in the air. Definitely not as good as Germany. Game should be a bit more difficult than Portugal, but the US should have more possession than they did today or vs. Ghana. Defending set pieces and crosses will be key. Should be able to score 1 or 2. Hope to give up less.

Reaction Score
Pulling the Cup from Qatar will require Sepp and FIFA admitting it made a mistake, which will happen just after Uruguay admits that Suarez is at fault for biting yet again and it is not an ‘isolated’ incident pushed by the jealous Italian and English media, including the use of digitally edited photos (all 5 zillion that were taken by 100+ agencies at the game).

Oh, and that does not take into account the legal action that Qatar will take if the Cup is taken away.

Gentleman's bet then. Qatar 2022 is as good as dead.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Ghana was physically impressive, but mentally inept. They weren't a team and tactically suspect. Playground ball doesn't work in the world cup.

And if not for an odd bounce that led to an own goal they may have advanced.

They got through the group stage the last two tournaments - so yeah they can't win but it works to a point if you have the athletes.

Cameroon was worse than Japan and Russia was also brutal.

Spain and England take worst performances. Italy gets a bronze.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What can you say about Belgium? In case you never saw this before, here's a Monty Pythom clip that will help.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

I'd add Lukaku to that mix of dangerous players. He's a gifted forward who has been great on his two loan spells from Chelsea the past two seasons in EPL. Mirallas and Dembele are quality players as well.

I think the thing to Belgium is, when will all these solid, talented players click and put it all together. A lot of the players are young and inexperienced (sounds familiar) and it's just a matter of when or if they put it together to see how talented they all are.

Reaction Score
I'd add Lukaku to that mix of dangerous players. He's a gifted forward who has been great on his two loan spells from Chelsea the past two seasons in EPL. Mirallas and Dembele are quality players as well.

I think the thing to Belgium is, when will all these solid, talented players click and put it all together. A lot of the players are young and inexperienced (sounds familiar) and it's just a matter of when or if they put it together to see how talented they all are.

I would prefer that Belgium figures all of that out sometime after July 1st :)

Reaction Score

They were and that is the point. If they played like that in the their game against a US team that had just played in Manaus, I do not think the US would have been able to deal with it. Instead, we got Ghana in the first game when the players were fresh.

Reaction Score

Shocked nobody mentioned Lukaku until now.

I feel like this is a game that Belgium should win, but we are certainly capable of winning. There are easily 6-7 other teams I'm glad we aren't playing. France, Netherlands, Brazil, Columbia, Argentina, Uruguay (with Suarez), Germany (I know), and maybe even Mexico.

Obviously we're doomed.

Reaction Score
I think JK was right about how our team gave them too much respect early on, the 2002 team wasn't nearly as intimidated if at all.
Agreed... That was my take away at half; we played as if we were scared ####less. We gave them a lot of respect, perhaps too much, but the Germans earned it.

They were impressed with our defense and composure; the fans here kept expecting us to break down and were getting pretty frustrated until Müller made that shot... And that was a sweet shot; exactly how I would have done it if I were fit, younger, talented, and lucky.

Reaction Score
We played not to give up 3 or 4 goals and/or earn a tie. We should see more attacking with all on the line. Totally did not understand the Davis move unless they needed fresh legs. I think that we will see Mix and Yedlin with more of a role with scoring in mind. We looked tired today in the rain. Zusi had trouble marking anybody.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Japan got a draw. Honduras and Cameroon 3 and out (-7 and -8 GD too).

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

That's the big question. Individually the Belgiums are very talented. But they haven't really gelled yet as a "team". Hopefully they wait til Euro '16 to do that. ;)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We played not to give up 3 or 4 goals and/or earn a tie. We should see more attacking with all on the line. Totally did not understand the Davis move unless they needed fresh legs. I think that we will see Mix and Yedlin with more of a role with scoring in mind. We looked tired today in the rain. Zusi had trouble marking anybody.
Fresh legs for sure. (i.e. Bedoya). Also I think Klinsmann was thinking if we scored it would be off a set piece. And that's pretty much all Davis is good for. (but he is really good at that). Unfortunately we really didn't get many opportunities for set pieces.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
meyers7 said:
Japan got a draw. Honduras and Cameroon 3 and out (-7 and -8 GD too).

IDK the Japan team I watched couldn't beat an under-12 travel team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agreed... That was my take away at half; we played as if we were scared ####less. We gave them a lot of respect, perhaps too much, but the Germans earned it.

They were impressed with our defense and composure; the fans here kept expecting us to break down and were getting pretty frustrated until Müller made that shot... And that was a sweet shot; exactly how I would have done it if I were fit, younger, talented, and lucky.

The US is getting some props from our German Group of Death partners…

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/german...s-u-s--can-beat-belgium-222420522-soccer.html

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I watched the game again last night.

Second viewing thoughts.

In this tournament, Jermaine Jones has become our most important player after Time Howard. He is our engine, he is our destroyer. I think he has been bummed about getting cut loose from the Bundesliga and has only played 10 matches with his club in Turkey. Playing for the USMNT this year has rejuvenated him.

First 10 minutes the team was on it's back foot or gave Germany too much respect.

At about the 60 minute mark you can see the team pretty much run out of gas and it was like they were towing parachutes. Manaus effect...

Beckerman is a as much of a liability as Bradley.

Davis won't start again.

In the next match, JK should consider bringing Yedlin in earlier as a change up. We'll get one or two mor runs out of him and every time he has appeared he has had a disruptive effect.

So.... we only brought two strikers. And this is just speculation on my part.. but If Altidore still isn't 100% then I think JK just might consider starting Wondolowski in Dempsey's spot, move Dempsey back to mid, or even play two forwards. We need to get Dempsey the ball more since Bradley isn't creating anything.

That's all for now.

Last edited:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Beckerman is a as much of a liability as Bradley.

I think you and I were not watching the same game.

Also, did you mean to say Cherundolo in at striker? Did you maybe mean Wondolowski? Or some other striker?

By the way, I agree with your comments pertaining to Manaus...

Reaction Score
I think you and I were not watching the same game.

Also, did you mean to say Cherundolo in at striker? Did you maybe mean Wondolowski? Or some other striker?

By the way, I agree with your comments pertaining to Manaus...

Exactly. Getting my DOs mixed up. Yeah, I didn't notice how bad Beckerman was playing until I watched the game again.

I was listening to some British Football Show on SiriusXM yesterday and they were ripping him and I was surprised but after I watched the game again I had to agree.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Exactly. Getting my DOs mixed up. Yeah, I didn't notice how bad Beckerman was playing until I watched the game again.

I was listening to some British Football Show on SiriusXM yesterday and they were ripping him and I was surprised but after I watched the game again I had to agree.

Well then, you guys disagree mightily with me, Ian Darke, and ESPN's Jeff Carlisle:

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/world-cup-central/59/post/1914196/us-grades-yanks-advance!

"M Kyle Beckerman, 6.5 - Did what he could to muck up the middle of the field against Germany's attacks and was sharp with his passing."

Not that everything Carlisle says is gold, but most of the times, he has some good insights on the players...

Reaction Score
Well then, you guys disagree mightily with me, Ian Darke, and ESPN's Jeff Carlisle:

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/world-cup-central/59/post/1914196/us-grades-yanks-advance!

"M Kyle Beckerman, 6.5 - Did what he could to muck up the middle of the field against Germany's attacks and was sharp with his passing."

Not that everything Carlisle says is gold, but most of the times, he has some good insights on the players...

He also gave away a bunch of balls. Sorry, I just don't see it. Watch the game again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom