Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
OK, let's pack this up everybody.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I have to say, after a full day, I feel slightly less despairing over our "loss" to Portugal. We still have 4 points and a win, draw, or even loss combined with Portugal win/draw or even Ghana 1-0 win would get us ahead.

If you look at this outcome table, there are a lot of favorable outcomes for the U.S. We just need to stay focused and bring it to Germany and play like we did against Portugal, minus two mistakes.

smFlO6m.png

In case anyone is scoring at home.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
In case anyone is scoring at home.

Ghana had the chance on the header they left wide. It was only horrendous goaltending that pulled this one from the fire.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That was an extremely fortunate outcome for the US.

That was on the precipice of disaster until CR7 and the Ghana keeper saved them.

Reaction Score
Jonea was worse than Bradley on the ball today. A lot of careless giveaways. Bradley played a few good balls over the top to give us our only chances. I think any giveaway from Bradley now gets everyone all up in arms.

Gonzalez was really good today. Turned out to be a good move. Even the offsides call on Klose he recovered in time to clear the ball.

Reaction Score
Charlie Brown has more successful kicks than Bradley. Seriously, what on earth is wrong with him.

Thank god we are through. Wipe the slate clean. Now the real nerve wracking part begins.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Jonea was worse than Bradley on the ball today. A lot of careless giveaways. Bradley played a few good balls over the top to give us our only chances. I think any giveaway from Bradley now gets everyone all up in arms.

Gonzalez was really good today. Turned out to be a good move. Even the offsides call on Klose he recovered in time to clear the ball.

Gonzalez was the man of the match. Beasley had a very good game as well. Lots of good runs down the left side and held his ground defensively against an onslaught of German runs.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How exactly would an American be the Man of the Match in that game?

Dooley

Reaction Score
Howard?

I think Gonzalez had more impact. He won a lot of dangerous crosses inside the defensive box. If he doesn't win those, they're likely in the back of the net. Howard was good though.

Reaction Score
The clock is ticking on us if we can't create and score goals. Howard can't save us forever.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Agree. Tired legs, game after Manaus and, not for nothing, the opponent was Germany.

Altidore might be back against Belgium. His presence alone will open up some offensive chances, assuming he doesn't pull up lame early in the game.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Interesting, Davis is in the starting line-up over Bedoya. Not sure why. What’s the bet that Green subs for him at some point? Cameroon being benched is no surprise, though I though Brooks deserved the starting nod over Gonzalez.
I assumed Klinsmann was thinking we'd only get a few chances from set pieces, hence Davis and Zusi. Klinsmann said at one point, Brooks is a LCB and Gonzalez is a RCB, hence the Brooks sub for Besler and Gonzalez for Cameron.

On the other pitch, Ghana looks to be burning itself down. Boateng and Muntari (who was already suspended for the Portugal game for Yellow cards) are both off the team after fighting with management. Plus, they seem to have money issue. While this does help the US, I actually feel bad as I like Ghana and would have rooted for them if they were not in the same Group as the US plus they got screwed by Uruguay in the 2010 cup after screwing the US in the 2006 Cup.
Ghana had 2 chances to win which Ghana blew.

Reaction Score
Agree. Tired legs, game after Manaus and, not for nothing, the opponent was Germany.

Altidore might be back against Belgium. His presence alone will open up some offensive chances, assuming he doesn't pull up lame early in the game.

I always thought that a win, draw and a loss would be enough to get through in this group. But I never considered that we'd do it without Jozy Altidore.

Reaction Score
Say what you want we are out of the group. Good for US soccer. I think that you have to play looking over you shoulder about how many goals you give up and what is going on in the other games. Next game full speed ahead. Yedlin has a motor. Created as soon as he came in.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I always thought that a win, draw and a loss would be enough to get through in this group. But I never considered that we'd do it without Jozy Altidore.

I give this squad a TON of credit. Had the most travel of anyone and still advanced from the "group of death" without their best offensive player. I thought our World Cup was over the second Altidore came up lame.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
No issue starting Gonzalez, given Cameron's gaffe's vs. Portugal and the need for fresh legs. He did not start well, especially in communication with Besler. The entire back line seemed lost in tracking Mueller and other German runners into the penalty area. It's clear this back like needs support from the midfield to succeed.

This leads me to the inclusion of Davis on the roster. I agree Bedoya looked spent against Portugal and didn't play all that well, so it was a good idea to start someone else. Except there is no one. The position based on the tactics we are playing requires two-way play, even defensively biased. So, Mix is out and Johannsson is out. Green, you just can't start him he's barely played club ball. He may be Mariano Rivera in 1995, but I'm not playing him in a big spot. That leaves Davis. He is so far out of his depth at this level.

While I'm at it, I'll take this moment to point out a few other things I was right about.
- Zusi is a fine replacement on the right side for Donovan, which is why I had him on the left for a while.
- Jozy couldn't be counted on in Brazil. Admittedly, not for the reason I thought, but he's not on the field so it counts.
- Beckerman can't handle the ball
- Jones is the quality player I always thought he was.
- Beasley would be just fine at LB
- Gaffes on defensive would be the biggest issue in advancing
- Most importantly the US would find a way through.

Things I was wrong about.
- The US needed Bradley to be huge in order to advance
- Dempsey would struggle in a lone striker set (Giving him a pass today because Germany is the real deal)
- Wasn't sure where the goals were coming from. (4 in 3 games is pretty good, considering Germany and the conditions today)
- Wasn't sure the center backs would hold up (no PK's conceded and other than the gaffes, they've played well enough thought still the biggest weakness)
- Thought Johannsson would get more playing time.
- Didn't think Brooks would see the field.
- Thought we'd get completely hosed by a bad officiating decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom