OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
ZooCougar said:
Bradley.....

Yup, twice he gave it away late. It's on him.

Reaction Score
Bradley.....
I'm glad someone else said it... He just has to chip it up field and the game is over... Instead he tries to carry past not one, but TWO defenders...

Can't believe I stayed up until 2am for this...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The worst part was knowing. As soon as you saw CR in space you knew they were scoring. That was sickening.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
So now I hafta sweat out 2 games on Thursday- goal differentials...cheezus. Thanks Bradley.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Someone someday explain why teams get so cute? Great you ran off 10-15 seconds by going to the corner. Just blast the thing in the bleachers and make them go through 11. How they could possibly have that much space in added time is ridiculous.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
In better news, Klinsmann has just worked out the terms for a tie with Germany. This is the advantage of having a German-speaking coach and 5 German-speaking players... ;)

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Someone someday explain why teams get so cute? Great you ran off 10-15 seconds by going to the corner. Just blast the thing in the bleachers and make them go through 11. How they could possibly have that much space in added time is ridiculous.

The problem with that is the fact that the ball boys are pretty responsive with another ball, ready for the goal kick. You waste at least 20 more seconds by going into the corner. Of course, if you think you can create a goal-scoring chance, I would prefer that the forward goes for it...

Reaction Score
I'm glad someone else said it... He just has to chip it up field and the game is over... Instead he tries to carry past not one, but TWO defenders...

Can't believe I stayed up until 2am for this...

He needs to be benched.. FOREVER. Jermaine Jones delivered, Bradley is a tunover machine.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Guys, I understand the angst behind Bradley's critical mistake and lowered play by his standards. But who on earth are we going to replace him with? I'm serious. All of our central midfielders are on the field. Who off the bench could play center mid?

We will have to live and die with Bradley, just like we will have to live and die with everyone else. And we are still tied for 1st in the Group of Death, so we've got THAT going for us...

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Still in good shape tiebreaker wise. A blowout loss to Germany and a Ghana win against Portugal is really the only way we don't advance (I don't think Portugal will blow out Ghana).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The problem with that is the fact that the ball boys are pretty responsive with another ball, ready for the goal kick. You waste at least 20 more seconds by going into the corner. Of course, if you think you can create a goal-scoring chance, I would prefer that the forward goes for it...

Yes I understand the time. But it's space that gets you in trouble not clock.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Gutted. Ugh. BUT, I said before we started, if we get 4 points from the first 2 games, I'd be ecstatic. All we and Germany need is a draw. Time for Klinsy to call in a favor. ;)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Guys, I understand the angst behind Bradley's critical mistake and lowered play by his standards. But who on earth are we going to replace him with? I'm serious. All of our central midfielders are on the field. Who off the bench could play center mid?

We will have to live and die with Bradley, just like we will have to live and die with everyone else. And we are still tied for 1st in the Group of Death, so we've got THAT going for us...
Oh I don't want him replaced, I just want a good game from him. He's got it in him.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If Thursday is Ghana 2-1 and Germany 2-1. That is still the US advancing with the fourth tiebreaker being head to head?

Dooley

Reaction Score
Tiebreakers:

1. goal differential
2. goals scored
3. H2H

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
whaler11 said:
If Thursday is Ghana 2-1 and Germany 2-1. That is still the US advancing with the fourth tiebreaker being head to head?

Or Portugal 4-0 and Germany 3-1 and Portugal advances on total goals.

Btw, almost zero chance less that 4 goals in the Gha/Por game. Neither team is interested in playing defense. Should be a good game to watch. US/Ger will hopefully be the most boring soccer match of all time. If I'm them, I kick the ball of in each half and let it sit there in the circle for 45 minutes.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Or Portugal 4-0 and Germany 3-1 and Portugal advances on total goals.

Btw, almost zero chance less that 4 goals in the Gha/Por game. Neither team is interested in playing defense. Should be a good game to watch. US/Ger will hopefully be the most boring soccer match of all time. If I'm them, I kick the ball of in each half and let it sit there in the circle for 45 minutes.

I'm thinking the same thing about US/Germany. Both teams only need a draw. I'd be shocked if either team pushes up too much and sacrifices defensive positioning for a scoring chance. Germany is skilled enough to score without pushing too many players forward. The U.S. could very well sit 8 or 9 guys back and only go forward if Germany breaks through and scores.

Another thing: Germany is +4. Even with a loss to the U.S., they are likely getting through (barring a Ghana blowout of Portugal). I think we will see a more than usual conservative style from Germany on Thursday and the U.S. in mega-defend mode.

Reaction Score
Yes I understand the time. But it's space that gets you in trouble not clock.

I agree with you, and Tommmy Smyth does too. You put a boot in that ball and send it to Argentina.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Whaling the ball out of bounds doesn't do much good. Ballboys get replacements onto the field lickity split. The right play is to go the corner, shield the ball from defenders, then try to knock it out of bounds off of a defender. Once the ball is out, you take forever to throw the ball back in. Better yet, you take forever to throw it, then hand it off to somebody else to throw it in (and they also take forever to throw it back in). Once the ball is in, it's all about possession. Possession by a corner flag is most ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom