OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Individual efforts keeping Turkey at bay right now. As a group, we look really slow.

Jozy looking big out there, promising and necessary.

WC refereeing also in full Anti-US form.

24': Davis clearly can't use his right foot.
25': GOOOOOALLLL, Pure class by Bradley.
29': Dempsey has to put that on frame.
30': if you can't score or pass the ball Jozy, keep doing that and we'll be OK.
33': Those long runs by Johnson are fantastic, I just hope someone is covering for him.
34': Too much time in our own 18, for my liking.
36': Wtf?? On the replay, foul on Jozy, no call against Clint.
40': Lots of positive interplay with Johnson down the right, but it's making me nervous.
42: Probably a good time to note the Jozy and Bradley are the two player we can least afford to get injured.
43': Finally, Besler makes himself accounted for.
45': Can someone tell me again why Brad Davis is on this team? The guy is invisible. Dempsey should not be receiving the ball from Howard on the left midfield touch line.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Half: Too many giveaways leading to some bad spots for the defense. Good work up top when we can get the ball there. Jozy, Clint, Jones, Johnson, and Cameron had good halves. Bradley (aside from the setup), Davis, Chandler, Besler, and Zusi could have done better.

Subs I'd like to see in the 2nd half:
Johannsson for Altidore, I like to see him and Dempsey together
Gonzales for Besler, I like to see him and Cameron together
Green for Davis, I think this kid is our best hope out wide that JK will consider playing.
Beckermann for Jones, I don't want to see him, but let's get it out of the way before Ghana.
Mix for Zusi. I want to see if he can play out there effectively. I know what Bedoya brings.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
47: Clint, we can't be starting the break for the other side, m'kay?
49': Another bad call against.
50': Oof. Bad Brooks, bad.
52': GOOOOOOAAAAALLL, US pinball soccer at its best.
52': One for the anti-turkey refereeing.
56': Zusi has to be ready to run with that.
60': Howler by Chandler. Can't leave a guy that open.
62': Tough call, on side and a good look by Chandler. Need to continue the run though.
64': Oof, Yedlin. shanks the drive of the first tee.
66': Wonderful ball by Zusi, Green has to corral that.
67': Rookie mistake by Yedlin, any pro will draw that foul.
68': Ahhh! wanted Green to connect with Clint there.
69': Bad break for Yedlin, good 1v1, follow through.
70': More bad refereeing, but the whistle blew.
71': Turkey can't hit the barn, can't be depending on that.
72': Eek, stop giving the ball away in front of the goal.
76': Not pressing enough on D when we lose the ball. Allowing them the attack too quickly.
78': Mix! Head that you dummy!
80': That bad first touch will get you every time, Jozy.
82': That's about as bad a corner kick as you'll see.
83': Good defense of the cross by Chandler, Brooks seems lost in his positioning.
88': Huge gaffe by Chandler. Can't have that at all. He hasn't shown me enough to start over Beasley who is smarter than that, except I think Beasley is now our best option at LM. Johannsson would be second and Bedoya third on account of his right footedness.
90: You can see Green has some talent, but he's too young and his skills are still raw. Touch, passing, need work, but locking him down was the right move.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Here is my Starting XI vs. Ghana.

Howard
Johnson Cameron Besler Beasley (Chandler)
Beckerman (I want to save Jones legs and yellow cards for Portugal)
Zusi Bradley Johannsson (Beasley)
Dempsey Altidore

Bedoya can play as a late sub for either wing
Mix can play as a late sub for either wing or a Bradley injury
Green can play as a late sub on the left if we need a goal
Yedlin can play if two defenders get injured/carded
Gonzales can play if either Johnson, Cameron, or Beasler get injured/suspended
Wondo can play if one of the forwards get injured/suspended
Davis can't play
Brooks cant' play

Last edited:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Here is my Starting XI vs. Ghana.

Howard
Johnson Cameron Besler Beasley (Chandler)
Beckerman (I want to save Jones legs and yellow cards for Portugal)
Zusi Bradley Johannsson (Beasley)
Dempsey Altidore

Bedoya can play as a late sub for either wing
Mix can play as a late sub for either wing or a Bradley injury
Green can play as a late sub on the left if we need a goal
Yedlin can play if two defenders get injured/carded
Gonzales can play if either Johnson, Cameron, or Beasler get injured/suspended
Wondo can play if one of the forwards get injured/suspended
Davis can't play
Brooks cant' play

I agree with your starting 11, with the exception of Johannsson for Davis. I'm not a huge fan of Davis, but it has to be said that he has done well in the last two friendlies (with the exception of the "Hand of God" play today). The crosses have been good, and he's helped create offensive pressure. One could easily make the argument that he's done more over the last two games than Zusi, even though I like Zusi more as a player.

The one person I am hoping not to see anymore (but probably will see) is Timmy Chandler. Again, it's tough to judge a player on such a small sample size, but my goodness he was brutal today at left back! If he's our left back against Germany or Portugal, we lose 5-0. Against Ghana, maybe 3-0...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The one person I am hoping not to see anymore (but probably will see) is Timmy Chandler. Again, it's tough to judge a player on such a small sample size, but my goodness he was brutal today at left back! If he's our left back against Germany or Portugal, we lose 5-0. Against Ghana, maybe 3-0...

So if Chandler plays, the US doesn't score?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
So if Chandler plays, the US doesn't score?

If Chandler plays, the US doesn't score because Bradley and Beckerman / Jones will spend all of their time covering for Chandler. And it's not like we are guaranteed to score against the top teams anyways!

Would it make you feel better if I tell you that we'll lose 5-1 with Chandler?!? I swear, sometimes you just type for the fun of typing. Cheezus...

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I agree with your starting 11, with the exception of Johannsson for Davis. I'm not a huge fan of Davis, but it has to be said that he has done well in the last two friendlies (with the exception of the "Hand of God" play today). The crosses have been good, and he's helped create offensive pressure. One could easily make the argument that he's done more over the last two games than Zusi, even though I like Zusi more as a player.

Davis' biggest problem, and there are many, is that he can't defend his side of the field. He can put the ball in a spot if given time and space, but how often is that going to happen? If we want Bradley to stay forward and Jones/Beckerman to stay back, regardless of the actual formation, that spot has to be able to cover the full length of the field and cover for the overlapping defender, which looks to be our best attacking option. He simply lacks the speed and ball skills to control or even hold on to his area of the field. He can't run with the ball or hold the ball, so what's the point of having him out there. His one moment was defending a cross into the box. Other than that, he's a liability because the other sides know we can't go to that side. It also leaves Chandler hung out, and he needs all the help he can get.

At this point that spot has to be filled by a runner who's first responsibility is defending. Johannsson is an outside the box selection because has the ball skills, and I don't think JK will pull Beasley or Johnson forward, but AJ is a ? on tracking back, so by default I think Bedoya gets the start. It just exposes how thin we are. There are too many guys on the squad that are 20 minute subs and a couple who won't be playing. It would be nice if Green gets comfortable and explodes onto the big stage, but I think that's asking a lot.

If I'm JK I'd start Beasley and Chandler at LM and LB respectively. These are the best two players, we could put out there. Beasley would make it a point to help cover the flank against the better squads.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Davis' biggest problem, and there are many, is that he can't defend his side of the field. He can put the ball in a spot if given time and space, but how often is that going to happen? If we want Bradley to stay forward and Jones/Beckerman to stay back, regardless of the actual formation, that spot has to be able to cover the full length of the field and cover for the overlapping defender, which looks to be our best attacking option. He simply lacks the speed and ball skills to control or even hold on to his area of the field. He can't run with the ball or hold the ball, so what's the point of having him out there. His one moment was defending a cross into the box. Other than that, he's a liability because the other sides know we can't go to that side. It also leaves Chandler hung out, and he needs all the help he can get.

At this point that spot has to be filled by a runner who's first responsibility is defending. Johannsson is an outside the box selection because has the ball skills, and I don't think JK will pull Beasley or Johnson forward, but AJ is a ? on tracking back, so by default I think Bedoya gets the start. It just exposes how thin we are. There are too many guys on the squad that are 20 minute subs and a couple who won't be playing. It would be nice if Green gets comfortable and explodes onto the big stage, but I think that's asking a lot.

If I'm JK I'd start Beasley and Chandler at LM and LB respectively. These are the best two players, we could put out there. Beasley would make it a point to help cover the flank against the better squads.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but Beasley is not going to play midfield again. I know it's just my opinion, but he's not gonna be there. I actually really like him at left back, because even in the instances where he makes a bad decision, he has the breakaway speed to recover (unlike Chandler, obviously). And I don't think Bedoya will start in the WC. If that were the case, we would have seen him in the last two games. That should tell you everything you need to know about where Bedoya stands on JK's list right now.

Aron Johannsson; if you want him to be the guy that you described for the left wing spot, covering up and down the field and supporting Chandler, well, that's not who Johannsson is. He's not a "defend first" type of midfielder by any stretch of the imagination. The person that is most like that is.....for better or for worse....Brad Davis. I agree with you 100% that there are too many "20 minute sub" type players on this team. It's the reason why I am really scratching my head about the Donovan thing. But that's the past, and let's hope the young squad can pull together in the next few days to make for a great WC run...

EDIT: Bedoya played against Azerbaijan. I meant to say that we didn't see him today...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Was not impressed with Green at all. Chandler kills me. Good god we need a guy to play well at left back or we could be in for a painful June.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but Beasley is not going to play midfield again. I know it's just my opinion, but he's not gonna be there. I actually really like him at left back, because even in the instances where he makes a bad decision, he has the breakaway speed to recover (unlike Chandler, obviously). And I don't think Bedoya will start in the WC. If that were the case, we would have seen him in the last two games. That should tell you everything you need to know about where Bedoya stands on JK's list right now.

Aron Johannsson; if you want him to be the guy that you described for the left wing spot, covering up and down the field and supporting Chandler, well, that's not who Johannsson is. He's not a "defend first" type of midfielder by any stretch of the imagination. The person that is most like that is.....for better or for worse....Brad Davis. I agree with you 100% that there are too many "20 minute sub" type players on this team. It's the reason why I am really scratching my head about the Donovan thing. But that's the past, and let's hope the young squad can pull together in the next few days to make for a great WC run...

EDIT: Bedoya played against Azerbaijan. I meant to say that we didn't see him today...

I agree he's better at LB than you might think, and under reasonable circumstances he shouldn't play in the midfield, but he has played LM in a WC before and there aren't a lot of options. The recurring nightmare is Ghana, Portgual or Germany stealing the ball from the LM passing past Jones/Bradley and into the open space where Chandler is supposed to be. I would also note that Timmy isn't all that fast, the Turks ran past him more than a few times, and from my couch he has a bit of a waddle in his gate.

I agree AJ is not likely a two way player, I'm just feeling that desperate and if I have to be stuck with a defensive liability out there, I'd rather it be a goal scorer who has some quality on the ball. Bedoya has had the best run so far out of the send off games, but he's right footed. At least he can run and is willing to track back. I suspect he will get the starts and Davis will come on at the half if Bedoya isn't playing well. AJ/Green/Mix would come on at 70-75 min if we need a goal late.

The alternative is to start Davis and bring Bedoya on for defense to hold a lead.

As for Donovan, I think in addition to everything we've discussed, JK didn't want to be locked into starting/playing LD, opening him up to more second guessing than leaving him off outright. Dumb reason, but I think it was a factor. But, looking at the squad play it screams to have included him. He could play LM, RM if Zusi can't, CAM/ST if Demspey can't, or Jozy stunk. Not to mention he buries some of the chances we've missed. And again, he provides a full field width on the attack. He'd have to have been really off form/fitness for me to have left him off.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Was not impressed with Green at all. Chandler kills me. Good god we need a guy to play well at left back or we could be in for a painful June.

I think Green is exactly what we thought he was. I talented kid who is over his head at this level. I don't have a problem locking him up by giving him the 23rd spot on the roster. He shouldn't have more than an irrelevant cameo in Brazil. Brooks is a bigger wasted spot and he's already cap tied. Must have been another promised golden ticket, because he is completely lost. Goodson in his place allows Cameron to play RB an Johnson on the LB. Parkhurst could also play RB, and then there was Tim Ream a two-time Club Player of the year at Bolton who could have received a few more looks.

I'll say this for JK. After the draw, he must have concluded that the best known squad wasn't going to be good enough so he's rolling the dice on speed and natural talent hoping to catch lightning in a bottle. Not quite looking ahead to 2018, but jettisoning anyone he considers marginal who won't be there. Still doesn't explain the Davis pick, but it does for everyone else.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I agree he's better at LB than you might think, and under reasonable circumstances he shouldn't play in the midfield, but he has played LM in a WC before and there aren't a lot of options. The recurring nightmare is Ghana, Portgual or Germany stealing the ball from the LM passing past Jones/Bradley and into the open space where Chandler is supposed to be. I would also note that Timmy isn't all that fast, the Turks ran past him more than a few times, and from my couch he has a bit of a waddle in his gate.

I agree AJ is not likely a two way player, I'm just feeling that desperate and if I have to be stuck with a defensive liability out there, I'd rather it be a goal scorer who has some quality on the ball. Bedoya has had the best run so far out of the send off games, but he's right footed. At least he can run and is willing to track back. I suspect he will get the starts and Davis will come on at the half if Bedoya isn't playing well. AJ/Green/Mix would come on at 70-75 min if we need a goal late.

The alternative is to start Davis and bring Bedoya on for defense to hold a lead.

As for Donovan, I think in addition to everything we've discussed, JK didn't want to be locked into starting/playing LD, opening him up to more second guessing than leaving him off outright. Dumb reason, but I think it was a factor. But, looking at the squad play it screams to have included him. He could play LM, RM if Zusi can't, CAM/ST if Demspey can't, or Jozy stunk. Not to mention he buries some of the chances we've missed. And again, he provides a full field width on the attack. He'd have to have been really off form/fitness for me to have left him off.

Agreed. Looking at this team over the last couple of games, there's no reason at all that Donovan is not the starting left midfielder. Perplexing and frustrating to say the least.

As for Chandler, I was saying that he was slow in my last post. I hope I didn't word it to give the impression that I think he has speed. I've seen sap come out of a tree faster... :(

Reaction Score
I think Green is exactly what we thought he was. I talented kid who is over his head at this level. I don't have a problem locking him up by giving him the 23rd spot on the roster. He shouldn't have more than an irrelevant cameo in Brazil. Brooks is a bigger wasted spot and he's already cap tied. Must have been another promised golden ticket, because he is completely lost. Goodson in his place allows Cameron to play RB an Johnson on the LB. Parkhurst could also play RB, and then there was Tim Ream a two-time Club Player of the year at Bolton who could have received a few more looks.

I'll say this for JK. After the draw, he must have concluded that the best known squad wasn't going to be good enough so he's rolling the dice on speed and natural talent hoping to catch lightning in a bottle. Not quite looking ahead to 2018, but jettisoning anyone he considers marginal who won't be there. Still doesn't explain the Davis pick, but it does for everyone else.

Not relevant to the discussion, but this team could easily play 3 really good matches and not even advance. Unfortunately I don't think the majority of the people get that yet.

Therefore the goal should be to beat Ghana, get 3 points and just hope for the best.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Not relevant to the discussion, but this team could easily play 3 really good matches and not even advance. Unfortunately I don't think the majority of the people get that yet.

Therefore the goal should be to beat Ghana, get 3 points and just hope for the best.

I'll go one step further: Not many people understand that we could beat Ghana, get the 3 points, and STILL not advance! That's the killer. Like you said, let's hope for the best...

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Didn't Ian Darke explain it? He's there for the set pieces.

Left footed set pieces and it's not like he's super outstanding at that either. Zusi or Donovan are just as good at free kicks,even guys like Torres and Corona could offer close to the same thing and run the length of the field in less than an hour. You could make a case as a specialist if he could defend his area or at least be covered by the defender behind him, but against our group it just seems stubborn and foolish.

Yes, I'm hoping for the reverse jinx to be in full effect as Davis hits the corner kick that puts us past Portugal.

Reaction Score
Germany tied Cameroon today. Portugal held scoreless against Greece -0-0 tie. France ties Paraguay. So go figure. How much are we hiding?

http://www.soccer24.com/world/friendly-international/

Tough to read in to the Pre Season.

Couple of comments. Chandler is young but in high regard by Nuremburg. Worth the risk? Davis is going to come in where we are pressing need to score off of set pieces or direct kicks. He is awesome. Disagree on Brooks. Thought that he came to plat today. Besler looked better

Today better than underwhelming less than overwhelming. Turkey ranked ahead of Ghana but did not Qualify.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Germany tied Cameroon today. Portugal held scoreless against Greece -0-0 tie. France ties Paraguay. So go figure. How much are we hiding?

http://www.soccer24.com/world/friendly-international/

Tough to read in to the Pre Season.

Couple of comments. Chandler is young but in high regard by Nuremburg. Worth the risk? Davis is going to come in where we are pressing need to score off of set pieces or direct kicks. He is awesome. Disagree on Brooks. Thought that he came to plat today. Besler looked better

Today better than underwhelming less than overwhelming. Turkey ranked ahead of Ghana but did not Qualify.

2-0 is 2-0, and winning games where we dodge a few bullets will be all but required in Brazil, but thinking Chandler played a good game is a bit too rose goggled. He and Brooks played better than previous disasters but that's not saying much. I have Chandler behind Beasley because I think he is more dependable in back, if Chandler is better going forward. Perhaps at the club level he can roam freely without consequence, but I doubt the US centerbacks are as good as the ones he is used to playing with. He needs to adjust his game.

The entire side has been pinching in too much, getting beat out wide very easily. We have more skill on the attack than we have ever had, but the defensive shape is all but non-existent. Relying way too much on individuals recovering. We are just a few notches shy of running around like headless chickens.

It's good our group isn't blowing people out, but those are two good sides, esp. Greece. I doubt Germany was going full force.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not many people understand that we could beat Ghana, get the 3 points, and STILL not advance!

Not many people understand that the US can win one, lose two and not advance? If by "not many people", you mean practically everyone, I agree.

Reaction Score
Turkey isn't exactly a bunch of chumps. Not sure if this was their A team, but they are ranked right behind Ghana, and just missed qualifying for the cup. They showed up to play, were aggressive and attacked us. It was a much better test for what we'll face in Brazil. Winning 2-1 is hardly a horrible result.

Reaction Score
If the US can get a multi-goal win in the first game, a tie against POR can be good enough to get through, especially if GER already has 6 points and may rest some players against us and there is a chance we can even get a draw there. If we do not win game one, it is desperate.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If the US can get a multi-goal win in the first game, a tie against POR can be good enough to get through, especially if GER already has 6 points and may rest some players against us and there is a chance we can even get a draw there. If we do not win game one, it is desperate.
Ding ding ding. Exactly.

Yes, basically the Ghana game is a one off to advance. Not meaning we will if we win, but it's the only "chance" we have of advancing.

A tie with Portugal gives us 4 points. If GER already has 6, then Ghana is out, and POR has 1 point going into the last game. POR has to win (and will) against an already finished Ghana. GER is through, and through in 1st with just a draw with USA. 5 pts and we're through, or 4 points and a GD and we're through.

Granted, not likely, but that's our best chance.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Turkey isn't exactly a bunch of chumps. Not sure if this was their A team, but they are ranked right behind Ghana, and just missed qualifying for the cup. They showed up to play, were aggressive and attacked us. It was a much better test for what we'll face in Brazil. Winning 2-1 is hardly a horrible result.
Probably their A-, B+ team. Missing a couple, but they had a pretty good team there. They had just beaten Honduras 2-0 on Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom