OT-Boneyard jokes I don't follow | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT-Boneyard jokes I don't follow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Yes, it was Henry that started it. Years ago, someone kept asking when some info would be available - either the schedule or when we'd hear how a recruit's visit went, something like that - and Henry would reply "in 20 minutes". It's your Boneyard standard-issue sarcastic answer for people who either ask questions that no one has the answer for or questions that have been asked 1000 times already.

Other Boneyardisms - "scrappy", Okie Eric, woodchippers, Hanging Judge, and anything related to shark attacks.

It actually started as 25 minutes and UConn's releasing the men's hoop schedule at the last possible minute was where it originated - wasn't Henry, although he probably kept it alive for some reason.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Don't forget "Winning" and the time Dove mowed his lawn during a game because he forgot about it.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
And Selvie time!

Reaction Score
Anything to deal with SouthTampaBill is a joke :p, the unofficial rule is start an argument with him each time you see him.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Some things were started in the chat room and were somewhat transferred to the main board, such as "fort the ead." I'm not sure about "scrappy," unless you were thinking about Syracuse who played a "plucky and gritty" game against UConn in 2004, only to lose (I may be linking 2 separate things here, but too bad. Gurleyman or Fishy can correct).

There were giant octopi and a plush husky named Jason who was lynched and stabbed and shot--just too cute to be tolerated.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Some things were started in the chat room and were somewhat transferred to the main board, such as "fort the ead." I'm not sure about "scrappy," unless you were thinking about Syracuse who played a "plucky and gritty" game against UConn in 2004, only to lose (I may be linking 2 separate things here, but too bad. Gurleyman or Fishy can correct).

There were giant octopi and a plush husky named Jason who was lynched and stabbed and shot--just too cute to be tolerated.
Yup, it's plucky not scrappy. We drove cuse fans nuts when we called their teams performance gritty and plucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Don't forget swamason. A genius creation of fishy and hamster.

Also, I really miss seeing the use of the descriptive qualifier " gin soaked"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Yes, it was Henry that started it. Years ago, someone kept asking when some info would be available - either the schedule or when we'd hear how a recruit's visit went, something like that - and Henry would reply "in 20 minutes". It's your Boneyard standard-issue sarcastic answer for people who either ask questions that no one has the answer for or questions that have been asked 1000 times already.

Other Boneyardisms - "scrappy", Okie Eric, woodchippers, Hanging Judge, and anything related to shark attacks.
I remember woodchippers! It has been quite a while for that one.

Reaction Score

We had just beaten Syracuse by 10 or so, and someone posted that they were disappointed that we didn't beat them by more. That notion was silly, I thought, since it was a quality win over a pretty good ranked team on a day we played well. So I posted tongue in cheek that Syracuse was a "scrappy, plucky" little team - the sort of team that can give a good team fits, and they'll probably pull a couple of upsets before it is all said and done. It was just to make fun of the original poster, for treating a 10-point win over Syracuse like it was Binghamton.

SU fans missed the joke and brought the quote back to their board and took all sorts of umbrage. It was pretty funny watching them go on for pages about the arrogance of UConn fans and not knowing the history of the Big East and Dave Bing, etc. Of course, due to my jinx, they won the rematch (I actually forget which year it was - maybe it was a BET game or the regular season finale in 04 with Emeka hurting) and started their own "UConn is a scrappy, plucky" team thing. It might have been 04 since that would have made SU the defending champs and fueling their umbrage at the perceived insult even more.

The scrappy, plucky insults went back and forth for a couple years until it finally died out.

Also, Miami gave us our only loss in 1999, so props to them (more of a chatroom inside joke).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Don't forget "Winning" and the time Dove mowed his lawn during a game because he forgot about it.

At least when I mow I don't lop the scalps off baby bunnies,

And didn't a chick make you go to a winery when the Huskies were playing?

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score

Yeah but he left her on the side of the road naked in the Rockies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

Actually she had taken me to the Napa Valley for the weekend when the Huskies were playing Arizona in Tuscon. Az was ranked 10th and we were 25th. Game went into OT. I had tried to talk my buddy into traveling to Tuscon for the game (he went to grad school there) but he couldn't make it so I went to Napa instead. It was an early game (for west coast standards) so we watched from a sports bar where I kept sucking down bloody marys and trying to convince the bar tender there was no way we could beat them. We were down 5 with 2 minutes to go and then went down 6 in OT before outscoring them 9-1 down the stretch for a 2 point win 100-98. But for the record, I didn't miss the game and she paid for the drinks.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Three words:

Love potion thread.

This was the most amazing thread of all time, IMHO. And the worst part was that none of The Boneyard lawyers helped the poor guy.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Three words:

Love potion thread.
This was the most amazing thread of all time, IMHO. And the worst part was that none of The Boneyard lawyers helped the poor guy.
I would love to see someone dig that out of the archives. Funniest thread ever - by far!
Wow, I had forgotten all about that thread.

No question, funniest I've ever read on this board.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Love potion thread: a poster came on the board asking for help. He had just spent a lot of money on a love potion that was supposed to make a girl love him. Apparently it did not work and he was looking for a Boneyard lawyer or someone to help him find a way to get his money back. Boneyard posters were surprisingly restrained in responding to this. It went on for some time and it was pretty clear that this guy had spent a lot of money....I forget how much, $1500? Someone help me here. Anyway, he was in a pretty desperate place. The next day, he posted that he was drunk and had just made the whole thing up as a joke. Yeah, right. You had to be there to see it develop and play out....the Boneyard was pretty well stunned and the self-control was admirable.

If I did not remember this correctly, please amend. It was hard to believe it was happening at the time.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
no, it was never 15 minutes as far as I recall. I might have been 25 minutes, though.

It was 25 minutes. And I'm such a purist I actually get mad when people say 20 minutes.

I think I was in the chat room when "Fort the ead!" started.

I am a huge fan of "Thank you for your interest in UConn Basketball." Best troll repellent; it really gets under their skin.

Reaction Score
It was 25 minutes. And I'm such a purist I actually get mad when people say 20 minutes.

I think I was in the chat room when "Fort the ead!" started.

I am a huge fan of "Thank you for your interest in UConn Basketball." Best troll repellent; it really gets under their skin.
Good times...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01