OT Big Ten reaches seven-year media rights deal with CBS, Fox and NBC for football, basketball through 2029-30 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT Big Ten reaches seven-year media rights deal with CBS, Fox and NBC for football, basketball through 2029-30

Reaction Score
Big 10 basketball only on Peacock and FS1 during the week will be amazing

Reaction Score
in Connecticut, a pack of marlboros cost $13+.
paid $11 for a 3 lb tub of potato salad at a super last week. freakin potato salad! which takes me like a nanosecond to make as well or better when im in a friendly kitchen. i wasn't near a friendly kitchen.
for the past bunch of years, the only college football that i watch is our guys.
never cared too much aboot the money in sports thing. not my business how much they make or spend, tho a pal almost bit my head off recently when he started yelling at me for the price of Yankees tix. i said 'watch it on tv then.' didn't seem to go over well with him.

that's all i got.
I remember when a box seat at Yankee Stadium wa $3.75,-4.00 , reserved *$2.50, and the bleachers were $.75 .
GM George Weiss from New Haven was a notorious cheap .
I think Moose Skowron was making $30k a year . He wasn’t a superstar but hit 25-30HRS and 70+RBI’s. There were guys making less.
So a winners share of the World Series meant some of these guys didn’t have to get a job in the off season .
Baseball was still cheap when a NFL, NHL and even NBA games were in the $20 -30 range. Prices didn’t explode for awhile.
* in those days the stadium still had pillars so a reserve seat could have an obstructed view. I still don’t understand how they took the pillars out in the 1970’s.

Reaction Score
The B1G has the markets, the SEC has the football. Still amazes me to realize that Dallas + Houston + Atlanta doesn't compare to the markets that the B1G owns.

And I say this because CBS gave its midafternoon Saturday slot (3:30) to the B1G.

So now SEC is 12pm only and maybe 8 pm at night?

This is shocking to me, that the B1G encroached on a SEC time slot.

The SEC has 3:30 ABC

Reaction Score
$8 billion in 7 years and $0 of that goes the athletes. Good thing we are all paying to watch administrators administrate.

Reaction Score
It amazes you that NY, LA, and Chicago are the biggest markets?
I think the Big10 being a NY market team (Rutgers) is an illusion but it certainly rings the cash register.

Reaction Score
The reason why there is so much $ in sports is because people like you (and me) consume a lot of it. Just like the reason why Hollywood makes tons on money.

If every single person stopped consuming the content, $500 million athlete contracts would cease to exist. Sports franchise values would crater. TV contracts wouldn’t be worth a dime. But until then, content consumption = $ in todays world. And consuming sports content is getting easier and easier.

Sports television advertising also sells at a premium because it's a predominantly male audience, and because people usually don't channel surf when a commercial comes on during a sports event.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I think the Big10 being a NY market team (Rutgers) is an illusion but it certainly rings the cash register.
Rutgers was their way of placing BTN on cable across the NYC metro.

Now that the lens is shifting to fan bases not school location, NY is seen a BIG market due to the number of BIG alumni (Ohio St, Michigan, PSU, Indiana) alumni in the area willing to consume BIG content. I doubt Rutgers is even the 5th most popular BIG team in the area.

Ditto for Maryland the the DC market (although they are probably slightly more popular in their own backyard than Rutger)

Reaction Score
Rutgers was their way of placing BTN on cable across the NYC metro.

Now that the lens is shifting to fan bases not school location, NY is seen a BIG market due to the number of BIG alumni (Ohio St, Michigan, PSU, Indiana) alumni in the area willing to consume BIG content. I doubt Rutgers is even the 5th most popular BIG team in the area.

Ditto for Maryland the the DC market (although they are probably slightly more popular in their own backyard than Rutger)
I don’t disagree that UConn is paying the price for not thinking strategically over the last 15 years. They certainly got caught up in making one-off checkers moves, while the winners were playing three moves ahead chess.

Reaction Score
Kid really didn’t think that sentence through lol
A. Not a kid.
B. This is what I wrote in that post: "The B1G has the markets, the SEC has the football" and before that I wrote: "B1G has the markets: Philly, NJ, Pitt, Detroit, Milwaukee, Chicago, Minneapolis, Los Angeles. SEC: Atlanta, Dallas, Florida, Houston, Nashville, St. Louis."

Reaction Score
I don’t disagree that UConn is paying the price for not thinking strategically over the last 15 years. They certainly got caught up in making one-off checkers moves, while the winners were playing three moves ahead chess.
UConn had absolutely no choice in the matter

Reaction Score
A. Not a kid.
B. This is what I wrote in that post: "The B1G has the markets, the SEC has the football" and before that I wrote: "B1G has the markets: Philly, NJ, Pitt, Detroit, Milwaukee, Chicago, Minneapolis, Los Angeles. SEC: Atlanta, Dallas, Florida, Houston, Nashville, St. Louis."
The B1G has the markets, the SEC has the football. Still amazes me to realize that Dallas + Houston + Atlanta doesn't compare to the markets that the B1G owns.

And I say this because CBS gave its midafternoon Saturday slot (3:30) to the B1G.

So now SEC is 12pm only and maybe 8 pm at night?

This is shocking to me, that the B1G encroached on a SEC time slot.

Reaction Score
College sports for everyone non-B1G/SEC are going to be dead in about 10 years, which is probably when NIL expands to colleges being allowed to pay players directly. It would take UConn 10 years to make as much as Rutgers makes in 1 year. In 2033, Rutgers will have $750M in their pockets and we will have $75M in media revenue. Enjoy these final few years while we can I guess

Reaction Score
UConn had absolutely no choice in the matter
In the bed we let others make for us. That’s exactly what I mean about the need to think Strategically, When you do that, you take control of your destiny or at least significantly impact it.

Reaction Score
A. Not a kid.
Then why are you “amazed” that Atlanta Houston and Dallas don’t compare to that massive conglomerate of markets?

Just mind the words you use, that’s all we are saying lol

Reaction Score

Pretty awful… I’m going to be pissed if/when this happens to the Big East

Reaction Score
ESPN imight try to partner with another media company for the future SEC contract.

I could see Amazon delivering content. The Big 10 is now everywhere. They are B1G enough to spread content to 3 media companies, so no one will miss any big games.

I wonder what it means for the Big 10 network. Who ends up owning the content. It will probably be shared rights.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
College sports for everyone non-B1G/SEC are going to be dead in about 10 years, which is probably when NIL expands to colleges being allowed to pay players directly. It would take UConn 10 years to make as much as Rutgers makes in 1 year. In 2033, Rutgers will have $750M in their pockets and we will have $75M in media revenue. Enjoy these final few years while we can I guess
Well, except for the fact that they are Rutgers and even with Big Ten distributions they are still running a 73 million deficit.

Think about that for a moment. They make 10 times our media revenue and yet have nearly twice our deficit. That’s quite a sinkhole on the banks of the old Raritan.

(Oh, and they just hit up the taxpayers for another hundred million to improve facilities.)

Reaction Score
So annoyed with the shifting of games to peacock/amazon bs.

Don't make it harder for people to watch your games

Reaction Score
A. Not a kid.

Markets are different from markets of avid watchers of football...

From NY Times..

In Cook County, home of Chicago, only 4 percent of residents indicated support for a college team. And the five counties in the United States with the lowest rates of college football fandom are the five boroughs of New York City. Manhattan manages 2 percent, and the other four are all below 2 percent.

Atlanta actually pulls down the percentage of football watching fans in Georgia (the percentage of college football fans is much lower in Atlanta than the rest of the state)...the south pulls college football numbers because it is fairly rural without the pro spot fandom of other regions.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

Pretty awful… I’m going to be pissed if/when this happens to the Big East

Peacock is free for Xfinity (Comcast) customers. However Comcast does not service parts of the NYC metro (at least not Stamford when I lived there), Ohio, most of Michigan, Wisconsin or the Los Angeles Market. So Peacock is going to get a huge bump in subscribers. Have to figure that new reach for Peacock contributes to the media deal value for the BIG.

P.S. I have Peacock but hope the Big East stays an exclusive Fox property because I believe they have the best production for college basketball games. And FS1 should have plenty of CBB slots available with far less BIG games.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
If I was Val and streaming games came up as part of the discussions in the next contract negotiations, I would take it to one of Apple, Amazon or Netflix and make it mandatory for them to create a bunch of other other non-game content as part the deal (a Hard Knocks style show for the basketball programs, a weekly coaches show, etc.). Plus NIL opportunities for the student athletes (for appearing in said content).

The people running the show at the Big East are no doubt smarter than me, but as financial underdogs we need to get creative to squeeze every ounce of profit & brand exposure from our next deal.

Giving up a few games a year to Netflix in exchange for a few Big East specific shows that feature our college athletes could be a useful recruiting tool for our programs.

Reaction Score
Don't make it harder for people to watch your games
It’s happening in all sports and I don’t get it. I use Hulu for tv and haven’t seen a Yankee game in years. It might be a short term $$ bump but I don’t see how this helps build the sport. Only a % of fans will pay extra.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom