OT Big Ten reaches seven-year media rights deal with CBS, Fox and NBC for football, basketball through 2029-30 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT Big Ten reaches seven-year media rights deal with CBS, Fox and NBC for football, basketball through 2029-30

Reaction Score
Markets are different from markets of avid watchers of football...

From NY Times..

In Cook County, home of Chicago, only 4 percent of residents indicated support for a college team. And the five counties in the United States with the lowest rates of college football fandom are the five boroughs of New York City. Manhattan manages 2 percent, and the other four are all below 2 percent.

Atlanta actually pulls down the percentage of football watching fans in Georgia (the percentage of college football fans is much lower in Atlanta than the rest of the state)...the south pulls college football numbers because it is fairly rural without the pro spot fandom of other regions.
Everybody gets this, but when people have cable and pay the monthly B1G fee, what you're saying has less and less relevance.

Reaction Score
Then why are you “amazed” that Atlanta Houston and Dallas don’t compare to that massive conglomerate of markets?

Just mind the words you use, that’s all we are saying lol
OK, I'll be sure to read your posts with that in mind.

Reaction Score
College sports for everyone non-B1G/SEC are going to be dead in about 10 years, which is probably when NIL expands to colleges being allowed to pay players directly. It would take UConn 10 years to make as much as Rutgers makes in 1 year. In 2033, Rutgers will have $750M in their pockets and we will have $75M in media revenue. Enjoy these final few years while we can I guess
The whole thing will eventually collapse, including whatever money Rutgers is going to get. Not in the next 10 years for Rutgers but soon.

Watch what happens soon when some of these schools believe they need to build out their facilities to the tune of $1 billion (what it takes to go mecca on training facilities and expanding stadiums). They are going to hock the future of these schools, and it will end in tears.

Reaction Score
The country will move more and more to streaming....cable will be Blockbusters. Sports viewing will all come down to viewer choices.

Notre Dame isn't coveted because of Indiana cable boxes.

Reaction Score

From NY Times..

In Cook County, home of Chicago, only 4 percent of residents indicated support for a college team. And the five counties in the United States with the lowest rates of college football fandom are the five boroughs of New York City. Manhattan manages 2 percent, and the other four are all below 2 percent.

Atlanta actually pulls down the percentage of football watching fans in Georgia (the percentage of college football fans is much lower in Atlanta than the rest of the state)...the south pulls college football numbers because it is fairly rural without the pro spot fandom of other regions.
I would love to read that article.

In Chicago almost everyone you run into is a fan of a Big 10 team and the bars are all based on which school they represent. Huge college football culture out here.

Reaction Score

In Chicago almost everyone you run into is a fan of a Big 10 team and the bars are all based on which school they represent. Huge college football culture out here.
Yeah idk where they got 4% of Chicagoans following a college team lmao

Reaction Score

It's a numbers game. 3 million people in the city means 4 percent is over 100k B1G fans. You can fill 100 bars with 100 people with only 10% of that total.

Reaction Score

From NY Times..

The article is from 2014:

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/08/...ytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

I think those numbers are probably a little skewed based on how they conducted their survey / asked their questions about fandom.

If asked, I don’t support any SEC or BIG team. But I probably watch more Bama/OSU/Michigan/Florida/LSU/any other top team than I have UConn football games over the past few year.

Both because I enjoy watching good college football and for betting interests.

I’d imagine there are a lot of people who fall into that boat that the survey missed.

Not to mention friends, spouses or family of fans who don’t actively support a college team but watch a lot because of someone else’s interest.

Reaction Score
I also am a football fan...I watch games that I think will be great games...and I watch rivalry games...Alabama-Auburn, Ohio State-Michigan, and the like. I will watch Pitt-WVU now that the Backyard Brawl is playing again.

Bama-A&M is must watch...so is Oklahoma-OK State.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Peacock is free for Xfinity (Comcast) customers. However Comcast does not service parts of the NYC metro (at least not Stamford when I lived there), Ohio, most of Michigan, Wisconsin or the Los Angeles Market. So Peacock is going to get a huge bump in subscribers. Have to figure that new reach for Peacock contributes to the media deal value for the BIG.

P.S. I have Peacock but hope the Big East stays an exclusive Fox property because I believe they have the best production for college basketball games. And FS1 should have plenty of CBB slots available with far less BIG games.
Plus, Peacock is a crap product with frequent random dropouts.

CL82

Reaction Score
The whole thing will eventually collapse, including whatever money Rutgers is going to get. Not in the next 10 years for Rutgers but soon.

Watch what happens soon when some of these schools believe they need to build out their facilities to the tune of $1 billion (what it takes to go mecca on training facilities and expanding stadiums). They are going to hock the future of these schools, and it will end in tears.
Rutty just hit up New Jersey taxpayers for 100 million.

Reaction Score

It seems to be a dog chasing his tail
The more you make the more you spend so that deficits are inevitable.
The difference with these schools is hopefully these huge media deals spare taxpayers and students who really have little or no interest in sports from bearing the brunt of the deal.
To be fair you start out with a huge deficit on 90% of your sports because they generate little or no revenue . I remember looking at the UConn’s womens programs a few years ago and they were -$29,000,000 non revenue neutral mens programs added close the that to that deficit .
The only significant revenue came from BB and football .
I don’t think the numbers have gotten better
The difference with a B1G school is a media , deal , live gate, bowl , and other revenue put the cost with a the fans giving the taxpayers and students some relief.
Then again big time football (especially but not exclusively)has huge benifits to a state
When you consider alumni and just fans travel to games Hotels , rentals meals ,and other recreational activities are all heavily taxed.plus jobs.
the number could be huge. The Alabama / Auburn football by some estimates brings in $ 500,000,0000 annually to the state . Making if not the biggest industry in the state.at least one of the biggest. Alabama is an anomaly but that state revenue is usually overlooked.
The problem like athletic directors and politicians as spending other peoples money typically is not done efficiently.

Reaction Score
Rutty just hit up New Jersey taxpayers for 100 million.
ugh. but perhaps doable over the next 10+ yrs of the contract.

When schools go to $500m - $1b in the build out, that's when I'd worry about the revenue stream running out.

20 years ago U Michigan paid $450m to build out the Big House and remodel Chrysler Arena. I bet you the cost now for stadium and arena rehabs is much much closer to $1b.

Up here in Buffalo the state and locality is paying $2.45b for a Bills stadium that has no roof.

If the whole edifice of college sports collapses, you're going to see mass resignations by presidents at these institutions, or else the new people will be caught holding the bag

Reaction Score
It seems to be a dog chasing his tail
The more you make the more you spend so that deficits are inevitable.
The difference with these schools is hopefully these huge media deals spare taxpayers and students who really have little or no interest in sports from bearing the brunt of the deal.
To be fair you start out with a huge deficit on 90% of your sports because they generate little or no revenue . I remember looking at the UConn’s womens programs a few years ago and they were -$29,000,000 non revenue neutral mens programs added close the that to that deficit .
The only significant revenue came from BB and football .
I don’t think the numbers have gotten better
The difference with a B1G school is a media , deal , live gate, bowl , and other revenue put the cost with a the fans giving the taxpayers and students some relief.
Then again big time football (especially but not exclusively)has huge benifits to a state
When you consider alumni and just fans travel to games Hotels , rentals meals ,and other recreational activities are all heavily taxed.plus jobs.
the number could be huge. The Alabama / Auburn football by some estimates brings in $ 500,000,0000 annually to the state . Making if not the biggest industry in the state.at least one of the biggest. Alabama is an anomaly but that state revenue is usually overlooked.
The problem like athletic directors and politicians as spending other peoples money typically is not done efficiently.
But... people tend to forget that athletic departments don't bond out for the building of stadiums. This is money loaned to the academic side, and it's paid for either by the school directly or with some reimbursement from the sports side.

So, depending on the size of the loan, it's a big risk. If college sports go kaboom, the school is going to foot the bill for a very expensive but useless stadium

CL82

Reaction Score
But... people tend to forget that athletic departments don't bond out for the building of stadiums. This is money loaned to the academic side, and it's paid for either by the school directly or with some reimbursement from the sports side.

So, depending on the size of the loan, it's a big risk. If college sports go kaboom, the school is going to foot the bill for a very expensive but useless stadium
Yeah, but what is the likelihood of a complete collapse of big-time college athletics? I think fairly low.

That said if you want an example of the phenomena you are talking about, you need to go no further than East Hartford. Connecticut build a stadium in anticipation of UConn being a part of what was about to become the P5. Did the state ever realize a decent ROI from that investment? I’m not trying to assign any blame here. It was entirely unforeseeable that an in-state company would finance the evisceration of the Big East and leave UConn on the outside looking in at big time football dollars.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but what is the likelihood of a complete collapse of big-time college athletics? I think fairly low.

That said if you want an example of the phenomena you are talking about, you need to go no further than East Hartford. Connecticut build a stadium in anticipation of UConn being a part of what was about to become the P5. Did the state ever realize a decent ROI from that investment? I’m not trying to assign any blame here. It was entirely unforeseeable that an in-state company would finance the evisceration of the Big East and leave UConn on the outside looking in at big time football dollars.
Is that you Senator press conference?

CL82

Reaction Score
Is that you Senator press conference?
Nope. Is that you AD “buuut weeeee wanted to be the New England school?”

Reaction Score

On the other hand, the Rent cost $90m to build. Imagine now a school like Indiana saddled with $500m in debt and the state isn't picking up the tab.

But yes, this is the sort of screwery I imagine might occur eventually, but on a huge scale.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom