OT Big Ten reaches seven-year media rights deal with CBS, Fox and NBC for football, basketball through 2029-30 | The Boneyard

OT Big Ten reaches seven-year media rights deal with CBS, Fox and NBC for football, basketball through 2029-30

Reaction Score

each of the 16 Big Ten schools will receive an average of $75 million annually from media rights. That does not include revenue from the College Football Playoff, bowl games or the NCAA Tournament,

The SEC is expected to have a similar payout when its new contract with ESPN begins in 2024. "It's P2 [Power Two] and everybody else," said an FBS source familiar with TV negotiations. "I don't know why anybody is using P5 [Power Five] anymore."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The amount of $ involved in sports is turning me into a non fan. I used to follow every sport and watch whatever I could. Now the only things I pay attention to are UConn men's hoops and baseball. Doesn't society have other things to spend money on? Juan Soto turns down $440 million? I will never stop being a Huskymaniac.

Reaction Score
The B1G has the markets, the SEC has the football. Still amazes me to realize that Dallas + Houston + Atlanta doesn't compare to the markets that the B1G owns.

And I say this because CBS gave its midafternoon Saturday slot (3:30) to the B1G.

So now SEC is 12pm only and maybe 8 pm at night?

This is shocking to me, that the B1G encroached on a SEC time slot.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
The networks aren't getting a penny of that back from me.
Hope you’re ready to walk around with your eyes closed the next 7 years…

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
The B1G has the markets, the SEC has the football. Still amazes me to realize that Dallas + Houston + Atlanta doesn't compare to the markets that the B1G owns.

And I say this because CBS gave its midafternoon Saturday slot (3:30) to the B1G.

SEC is does with CBS Saturday afternoon games starting in 2024

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
What I find interesting (and smart) is that the contracts only run to 2030. Which is still 5 years before the ACC GOR expires…

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

The SEC will still be at 3:30, on ABC, and will absolutely continue to dominate that timeslot.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
The amount of $ involved in sports is turning me into a non fan. I used to follow every sport and watch whatever I could. Now the only things I pay attention to are UConn men's hoops and baseball. Doesn't society have other things to spend money on? Juan Soto turns down $440 million? I will never stop being a Huskymaniac.
The reason why there is so much $ in sports is because people like you (and me) consume a lot of it. Just like the reason why Hollywood makes tons on money.

If every single person stopped consuming the content, $500 million athlete contracts would cease to exist. Sports franchise values would crater. TV contracts wouldn’t be worth a dime. But until then, content consumption = $ in todays world. And consuming sports content is getting easier and easier.

Reaction Score

It amazes you that NY, LA, and Chicago are the biggest markets?

Reaction Score
It amazes you that NY, LA, and Chicago are the biggest markets?
Huh? What?

I listed those as the biggest markets. Why would I be amazed at what I wrote?

The only thing that amazes me is that the B1G stole the SEC's time slot.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Huh? What?

the BIG didn’t steal the time slot. The SEC announced last year that starting in 2024, they would move their prime time 3:30 game from CBS to ABC as part of their new deal with ESPN.

Hence why CBS was available for BIG.

Reaction Score
Huh? What?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
in Connecticut, a pack of marlboros cost $13+.
paid $11 for a 3 lb tub of potato salad at a super last week. freakin potato salad! which takes me like a nanosecond to make as well or better when im in a friendly kitchen. i wasn't near a friendly kitchen.
for the past bunch of years, the only college football that i watch is our guys.
never cared too much aboot the money in sports thing. not my business how much they make or spend, tho a pal almost bit my head off recently when he started yelling at me for the price of Yankees tix. i said 'watch it on tv then.' didn't seem to go over well with him.

that's all i got.

Reaction Score
The reason why there is so much $ in sports is because people like you (and me) consume a lot of it. Just like the reason why Hollywood makes tons on money.

If every single person stopped consuming the content, $500 million athlete contracts would cease to exist. Sports franchise values would crater. TV contracts wouldn’t be worth a dime. But until then, content consumption = $ in todays world. And consuming sports content is getting easier and easier.
You are absolutely correct. I have U Tube TV for the sole reason to watch UConn hoops and MLBTV for baseball but those days may be nearly over

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
So what does NBC give Notre Dame now?
Reading more about this deal, the BIG delivered a massive blow to Notre Dame and their NBC partnership. NBC will now carry the BIG Saturday Night Primetime games each week in the 7:30 window (meaning ND can't have that spot). It appears that starting in 2024, ND will be permanently in the 3:30 window (against BIG on CBS and SEC on ABC) or in the least coveted noon window.

Have to think this was strategic leverage to force ND's hand to join the BIG if the ACC falls apart.

No doubt ND still in line to make big $$$ from their NBC contract, but it will be less favorable than it could have been before the NBC / BIG primetime relationship was announced.

Reaction Score
Reading more about this deal, the BIG delivered a massive blow to Notre Dame and their NBC partnership. NBC will now carry the BIG Saturday Night Primetime games each week in the 7:30 window (meaning ND can't have that spot). It appears that starting in 2024, ND will be permanently in the 3:30 window (against BIG on CBS and SEC on ABC) or in the least coveted noon window.

Have to think this was strategic leverage to force ND's hand to join the BIG if the ACC falls apart.

No doubt ND still in line to make big $$$ from their NBC contract, but it will be less favorable than it could have been before the NBC / BIG primetime relationship was announced.

I'm sure this could also incentivize more ND vs. BIG matchups, which have gotten less and less over the years since they had an agreement to play a certain amount of ACC schools in football.

But ND used to play Michigan, Michigan St, Purdue every season.

Last I read was a projection ND would get $60 million a year from NBC.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I'm sure this could also incentivize more ND vs. BIG matchups, which have gotten less and less over the years since they had an agreement to play a certain amount of ACC schools in football.

But ND used to play Michigan, Michigan St, Purdue every season.

Last I read was a projection ND would get $60 million a year from NBC.
Right. ND will probably still get 2-3 prime time games per season on NBC but it will be vs BIG opponents.

We won’t be seeing ND vs FSU/Clemson in that NBC window…

My guess will be they continue their annual games vs USC and add back Purdue and/or Michigan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom