OT: Best place to retire | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Best place to retire

Reaction Score
You're a long way away from having to make this decision, and a lot can (and will) change in 20 years. BUT:

I love Charlotte. Great weather, still have seasons but the winter isn't anywhere near as bad as N Dakota or New England. Airport is a hub for American Airlines meaning you have direct flights all over the place both internationally and domestically. 2 hours from the mountains 3 hours from the beach (Charleston, Kiawah, Myrtle Beach, Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach, etc). Pro sports and a low cost of living. Combine that with the type of people that live here and there really aren't too many negatives to the Queen City.

Lived near the Queen City for 14 years after leaving CT. Great place to live. Also a large lake nearby (Lake Norman) and some great theaters. However, it is getting very crowded and traffic can be bad at times. We retired to Murrells Inlet, SC to be closer to the beach. Much quieter and less costly to live but I miss the city and all it has to offer.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Wanted to mention Savannah. Easier to get to Savannah from HHI and region than it is to get to New York from New Haven. The drive from HHI to Charleston is about equivalent to the drive from New Haven to Boston with far less traffic. The cuisine in both those places and HHI is wonderful.

Thing I miss the most is the topography. I would love something like Acadia for instance with mountains adjacent to water. But that is 2 months of fun for me. SC is SEC and ACC territory but the HHI region is B!G territory. Maybe 35% of the population in the region is from Ohio. I'm just starting to see more people from the north east interested in this area. BTW I'm doing my best to lobby for UConn to the B!G.

Retirement, tourism and the military have a strong imprint in the area. I can't stress the importance of that final approval by SC and Georgia to begin the process of the port in Jasper County. Both states held off on the approval for years because the political pressure was too strong for Charleston and Savannah. Those two ports cannot accommodate the new container ships. Same with most ports on the East Coast. There is always the possibility that someone powerful and stupid will interfere with the process but if it does go as planned this region would retain it's charm but add important groups to it's tax base. There is a lot of wealthy and powerful individuals in this region that have already supported the buying of sensitive and beautiful land. I expect that to accelerate once people understand the impacts this port will have.

For what it's worth my parents often spend 2-3 weeks at the height of summer in the Clemson area. Mountains, lakes, great golf courses and temps 10-15 degrees cooler than in St. Helena/Dataw. Not quite Acadia, but the mountains are not that far away really. By the way, I noticed on Spring break trips to HH years ago that Ohio State, Michigan and Indiana were all heavily represented (although I had my sights set on a girl I met from U Tennessee).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
For what it's worth my parents often spend 2-3 weeks at the height of summer in the Clemson area. Mountains, lakes, great golf courses and temps 10-15 degrees cooler than in St. Helena/Dataw. Not quite Acadia, but the mountains are not that far away really. By the way, I noticed on Spring break trips to HH years ago that Ohio State, Michigan and Indiana were all heavily represented (although I had my sights set on a girl I met from U Tennessee).

You just wrote about 2/3 of a Kenny Chesney song.

Reaction Score
Since I've moved to North Carolina from CT, I've realized there is a ton of cool places in the Carolinas. Mountains out west, Asheville is a very cool town - they even surprisingly have some small ski mountains in North Carolina. Lived in Wilmington - beach town, NC and SC have some of the nicest beaches I've seen. I live in Charlotte right now and it's an awesome city with lots always going on and some pro sports teams - also has a little more of a Northern vibe than some other Southern cities I've been to due to high amount of transplants - big banking city. Rapidly growing city. I know a lot of people who love living in the Raleigh area, I'm sure it would be 10x cooler to live there if UConn somehow makes its way to the ACC so you'd be a short drive from seeing them play away games at UNC, Duke, NCST. Charleston is absolutely awesome. One of the cool things about all of the cities in the Carolinas is that if you drive for about 30 minutes or so, you will end up in pretty rural areas if that's what you like. The winters down here are relatively mild, and you don't get much snow - however, it just seems like you get a solid extra month of warm weather in the spring and another in the fall before it really gets cold, it's quite nice. Disclaimer: bagels, pizza, chinese food and delis are just NOT the same as they are in CT - they try though.

Reaction Score
I moved to the Charlotte suburbs 5 years ago from CT and for sure the winters are much better. I'm not big on hot, sticky weather. If you're not OK with 90+ with tons of humidity for three plus months in a row it's not the place for you.

Like Wake County there is a lot of growth still and I got stung by school redistrcting. My kids were moved to much worse schools that are twice as far away and my home value dropped in excess of $100,000.

I'm not a city guy and envision moving out if the Piedmont to the mountains or shore for retirement. Maybe a small house in each place, one for summer one for winter. Asheville/HHI would be a great solution.

For some here it may also be worth mentioning that Asheville is becoming one of the craft brew capitals of the country. Lots of really good ones with varied offerings (the wineries in Yadkin are getting better too but nowhere near Napa still but a nice diversion). CLT and environs has a growing number of breweries too: Olde Mecklenburg, NoDa, Unknown.....

Reaction Score
I was born and raised in Albuquerque, NM. Graduated UConn 1964. I have a productive 5000 acre ranch in Northeastern New Mexico, and home outside of San Antonio, Texas to be near my grand kids. Albuquerque is now big and lots of services. Santa Fe is quaint and a much smaller town. Taxes are modest, but NM does have an income tax. New Mexico has a population of 2 million for the entire state. The land is beautiful and varied depending upon where you are and the trout fishing is spectacular. There is no industry. The biggest employers are the State of NM and the Healthcare Provider which is Presbyterian Health Systems. After that, it is a small business and service economy. Wages are small compared to the rest of the nation. But, if you are retired, you don't have to work anyway.

Housing in the State is primarily single family homes with a small percentage of condo's. Apartments are big in ABQ. I would imagine that housing is cheap in NM compared to the Northeast especially CT.

If you like the outdoors, hiking, camping, fishing, exploring, hunting, and whatever, then NM will provide all of that without the restrictions of the Northeast and a lot more elbow room. Winters, although there is snow and freezing weather in ABQ, Santa Fe, and North, are dry, and relatively mild. Las Cruces in the southern part of the State is warm between 70 and 85. During the summer, LC is over a 100. All of NM is very dry in humidity or pretty much no humidity. My wife loves it for her hair.

Just to let you know, there is a good amount of crime in ABQ. Lots of gangs have moved in over the years, drug distribution, and since NM is a border State, lots of illegals with criminal records. Drunk driving is rampant with uninsured and unlicensed motorists. Consequently, insurance rates are also high to pay for the risk. You can, without difficulty and without a criminal record take the special course and apply for a conceal carry permit because law enforcement is not always available. I remember witnessing a shoot out of conflicting gang members in ABQ and the Police did not show for 2 hours because they had too many serious calls and no one to come to assistance.

Be that as it may, welcome to the wild west. Live in Santa Fe, it is nicer. That's where we shop once a month and the internet and that does the trick.

Just a note, if you choose, Texas, they don't tolerate that crap. But, don't bring your politics to Texas or just be quiet.

Have fun looking for a place to live.

Reaction Score
Like Wake County there is a lot of growth still and I got stung by school redistrcting. My kids were moved to much worse schools that are twice as far away and my home value dropped in excess of $100,000.

For some here it may also be worth mentioning that Asheville is becoming one of the craft brew capitals of the country

My friend in Apex in Wake County (Raleigh) moved there a few years back. As his kids are young, they have not ad to move elementary schools yet; but, they were originally covered by Apex HS, then Green Hope HS, and now Apex Friendship. That's 3 high school changes in 5 or 6 years. Nuts. He was somewhat bummed about going from Green Hope to the new Apex Friendship because Green Hope is considered one of the best high school's in NC. That said, based on where Apex Friendship will be pulling from, that school should be good, also.

Had a different friend from my days at the Big 4 Accounting firms who finally had it with NYC, which I do gets on some days myself, and moves to Ashville and absolutely loves it. She's a bit on the granola sides; but loves the culture (UNC Ashville offer a lot), the mountains, the beer, etc.

Reaction Score
NC wasn't a bad place, but I can't believe people like Cary so much. I just moved from there 2 months ago and it is suburbia hell, and they somehow keep finding space to build more developments. I can see how it's nice for younger families with kids, but beyond that it was terrible. You're at least 20-30 minutes from chapel hill/durham/raleigh where the actual amenities (shows, restaurants, sporting events etc) are. On top of that the summer is just oppressive...the heat and humidity is so bad you basically don't want to go outside between 10am and 5pm from May-Sep. The beach is nice, but it's still 2 hrs to wilmington, 4 hrs to OBX, ~3 to wrightsville etc. If the beach is what you want why not move down there? Asheville is cool, but very much a hippy town...great place to vacation, or live as a young adult, but retiring there might be a stretch because you can't exactly take advantage of the outdoor activities when you're nursing a replaced hip (can still enjoy the awesome food though). Charlotte is a fun city...can't say too much bad about it other than weather there is crazy hot too.

To each their own, but I could never deal with the heat...hence I am in Denver now, where I wouldn't mind staying for a long long time.

Portland and Seattle are really nice too. Wouldn't mind ending up either of those places

Reaction Score
Well, if you invested in Index Funds back in 2000, you have made a hefty 2.2% annually over that period.
As opposed to tripling my portfolio in the same time period.
In anticipation of a market downturn in 2015 I skewed my investmestments toward safer less volatile securities ,but I always take the opportunities to re-invest interest and dividends into currently depressed equities. I have long term faith in our economy . My income in 2015 will be close to my best working year. ( between pension, SS and required distritubion on funds )
What's the alternative ?
If the U.S. Goes bust the best investment is in long duration canned goods and ammunition.
I moved to the Charlotte suburbs 5 years ago from CT and for sure the winters are much better. I'm not big on hot, sticky weather. If you're not OK with 90+ with tons of humidity for three plus months in a row it's not the place for you.

I'm not a city guy and envision moving out if the Piedmont to the mountains or shore for retirement. Maybe a small house in each place, one for summer one for winter. Asheville/HHI would be a great solution.

For some here it may also be worth mentioning that Asheville is becoming one of the craft brew capitals of the country. Lots of really good ones with varied offerings (the wineries in Yadkin are getting better too but nowhere near Napa still but a nice diversion). CLT and environs has a growing number of breweries too: Olde Mecklenburg, NoDa, Unknown.....

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Next time you head up to Asheville try the Blind Squirrel Brewery. Last year we were at the NC state fair and they had a tent with free beer and wine samples. Blind Squirrel hands down the favorite of half the people there. Went back to their booth at least

funny thing is I can't remember how many times.:)

My wife, son and I plan to head to the brewery some time in the future.
Link: http://www.blindsquirrelbrewery.com

Strange that they have to ask if you are 21. Wasn't there before. Must be a new state law.

Reaction Score
Since apparently a few BYers are approaching retirement. I will offer some tips as I been retired for 8 years now.
Since everyone has different wants its pretty difficult to pinpoint an exact correct location for each individual family. There are a few considerations that should be taken into account.
1. Location
A. No place is perfect but try to find a location that
1. The weather fits the lifestyle you envision
2. Accessability to airports(especially for travelers) , Docters ,Hospitals, Shopping or family or friend support if necessary, and safety. Crime can be an issue and some people prefer gated communities. Doctors and Hospititals will become a larger factor as time goes by for everyone.
3 What ammenities do you want.
Golf, tennis ,swimming,crafts, social groups
B Planned Community, all age, age restricted , or freelance.
Most of the large builders offer planned communities that are age restricted
The Dell Webb Sun Cities ( Pulte) Trilogy ( Shea homes ) have locations in many states. As do Toll brothers and many others .
Some are combined with an all age section to give the overall community a more eclectic mix.
But googling best retirement communities will return bunches in almost every possible popular location.
Some larger communities have enclosed shopping and restaurants.
Seniors tend to eat out a lot. Wives love to shop.
They also come in a variety of price ranges. How much you spend is somewhat determined by lifestyle.
From an investment sense, the conventional wisdom is to get ultra conservative as you approach retirement. Retirement can be a long time and market ups and downs could be endured better than you believe.
Especially if a potion of your investmestments are bearing interest and dividends

Reaction Score
Next time you head up to Asheville try the Blind Squirrel Brewery. Last year we were at the NC state fair and they had a tent with free beer and wine samples. Blind Squirrel hands down the favorite of half the people there. Went back to their booth at least

funny thing is I can't remember how many times.:)

My wife, son and I plan to head to the brewery some time in the future.
Link: http://www.blindsquirrelbrewery.com

Strange that they have to ask if you are 21. Wasn't there before. Must be a new state law.

If you're looking at breweries in Asheville you should definitely check out the downtown area. There has to be at least 10 pretty cool breweries all within walking distance of each other. Couldn't tell you in great detail about it as things got hazy FAST.

To relate to retiring, one of my best friends' parents are planning on retiring to Asheville in about 4 years and they absolutely love it there. I do admit that the town has a little bit of a hippie vibe, but it's nothing insane and a little culture is never bad. Good beer and good food are fine by me. I haven't spent much time there, but I'd imagine the summers in the mountains are a little more mild than people here are saying about the Triangle or Charlotte regions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom