OT: Best place to retire | The Boneyard

OT: Best place to retire

Reaction Score
I'm still 20-25 yrs from retirement, but lately I've been thinking about where I'd like to retire. For some reason New Mexico seems nice. Maybe northern Oklahoma. Near Tulsa. I've also thought of traveling around in a large RV.

Where is the best place to retire?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Totally depends on what you consider to be ideal retirement. Do you want great weather and no snow? Do you want to be away from the fray? Do you want to be able to experience lots of culture? Do you want to be near a big airport to travel a lot? What kind of value can you handle for the cost of land and utilities?

It's probably different for just about everyone. Without listing some criteria, you'll get other peoples view of perfect retirement.

Reaction Score
Good weather is probably my primary concern at this point. But i don't want to live in the AZ desert or the Florida humidity in the summer.

Reaction Score
Good weather is probably my primary concern at this point. But i don't want to live in the AZ desert or the Florida humidity in the summer.

Man if you're looking for good weather, nothing, absolutely nothing beats southern Cali. 68 in January, 75 in July and sunny year round. It's a little expensive but the weather makes it so worth it. No place like Southern cali weather wise on Earth.

Reaction Score
Man if you're looking for good weather, nothing, absolutely nothing beats southern Cali. 68 in January, 75 in July and sunny year round. It's a little expensive but the weather makes it so worth it. No place like Southern cali weather wise on Earth.
I actually lived in LA for 3-4 yrs. Not a bad suggestion, but I'd like to avoid a city that large.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
You're a long way away from having to make this decision, and a lot can (and will) change in 20 years. BUT:

I love Charlotte. Great weather, still have seasons but the winter isn't anywhere near as bad as N Dakota or New England. Airport is a hub for American Airlines meaning you have direct flights all over the place both internationally and domestically. 2 hours from the mountains 3 hours from the beach (Charleston, Kiawah, Myrtle Beach, Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach, etc). Pro sports and a low cost of living. Combine that with the type of people that live here and there really aren't too many negatives to the Queen City.

Reaction Score
You're a long way away from having to make this decision, and a lot can (and will) change in 20 years. BUT:

I love Charlotte. Great weather, still have seasons but the winter isn't anywhere near as bad as N Dakota or New England. Airport is a hub for American Airlines meaning you have direct flights all over the place both internationally and domestically. 2 hours from the mountains 3 hours from the beach (Charleston, Kiawah, Myrtle Beach, Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach, etc). Pro sports and a low cost of living. Combine that with the type of people that live here and there really aren't too many negatives to the Queen City.
My company has a division in Cary.

Reaction Score
San Diego area has the best weather in the world but it is expensive. Tennessee has become a popular destination as an alternative to Florida where the taxes are much higher.

Reaction Score
I'm still 20-25 yrs from retirement, but lately I've been thinking about where I'd like to retire. For some reason New Mexico seems nice. Maybe northern Oklahoma. Near Tulsa. I've also thought of traveling around in a large RV.

I'm still a few years away but IMO the best place is a COMBINATION of places. For me UT/WY/CO for the winter. NY and ?? for the remainder of the year. and ?? can change. One year Europe the next its Charlotte or anyplace. U can do short term rentals pretty easy these days. We know a couple that spends 4 months in Rome, time in pa with their kids and time in UT. They are very happy.
And the best part is u can change where u want to be at any point. If u are in one place I think a college town is great as it affords a lot of activity and learning. Plus u aren't hanging out with old people in fla

Reaction Score
San Diego area has the best weather in the world but it is expensive. Tennessee has become a popular destination as an alternative to Florida where the taxes are much higher.
I like the Tennessee idea

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

Lots of things to think aabout Junior and like some have said you are a long way off. I am 64 retired from a company and consulting and can offer several things you might want to keep in the back of your mind. After retirement you are at an age when you are staring down one of the big three guarantees. The other two are birth and taxes. You should not look at retirement living as something permanent but rather look to change it up as you and yours need or want. If you are married there are two people to think of. For my wife and me several things are considered. I am still working so being a permanent resident in a state without income tax is important (Florida). We both have arthritis but enjoy outdoor activities so we need warm weather. You will need to consider where children or more importantly Grandchildren are. Access to good healthcare becomes increasingly important. For example we have a house in Truro out on the Cape but are an hour from Cape Cod Hospital which is a mediocre hospital at best. We are reconsidering living so far down the Cape as we are well outside the "golden hour" if we need a clot buster or other emergency treatment. Although we are an hour and a half from our Grandkids, that is still a long time if I want to go watch my Grandaughter in a tennis match or Grandsons play hockey. Quality of life is also a consideration. We have family in Phoenix for example which many consider a desirable retirement spot. My wife and I would not consider it a great place for many reasons including weather and lack of cultural activity. Same with Truro. In the winter the Outer Cape is desolate, cold hard place to live, hence our Sothern migration to Florida. Just some thoughts

Reaction Score
I've also thought of traveling around in a large RV.

We have friends who did just that. Registered it down south to avoid taxes, spent the winter as park monitors in southern Arizona, traveled north during the summer. Joined the Elks and park in their lots all around the country. They love it. But it's not for everyone (even a big a** RV has less room than a small house).

Reaction Score
Cary NC, also called Yankeeville, because of all the Northern transplants. pop. of 150K, suburb of Raleigh,10 minutes, part of the triangle of Durham, Raleigh and Chapel Hill. Excellent parks and recreation. 50 and 60's senior softball. I am playing my 11 season in over 60's league, two seasons per year, spring and fall. 2 hours to beach , 40 minutes to I95 via 4 lane hwy. 4 seasons with very little snow. Excellent cultural activities associated with the Univ. and Raleigh the state cap. 15 minutes to RDU international airport. Very reasonable cost of living. Google fiber is being installed, one of 6 areas across the country. Great and convenient shopping.

Reaction Score
We have friends who did just that. Registered it down south to avoid taxes, spent the winter as park monitors in southern Arizona, traveled north during the summer. Joined the Elks and park in their lots all around the country. They love it. But it's not for everyone (even a big a** RV has less room than a small house).

I really like the rv idea. I like the state of ND a lot, but i can't stand the winter and my opinion is only getting worse as the years go by. My best plan as of now is to buy a simple house outside the limits of fargo (cheap taxes in country) and a big rv. Every year i would take off in early november and cruise around until the end of april. After a trip to the final four to watch my huskies win i would head back north to play as much windy nd lynx golf as possible.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom