OT: Best place to retire | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Best place to retire

Reaction Score
Cary NC, also called Yankeeville, because of all the Northern transplants. pop. of 150K, suburb of Raleigh,10 minutes, part of the triangle of Durham, Raleigh and Chapel Hill. Excellent parks and recreation. 50 and 60's senior softball. I am playing my 11 season in over 60's league, two seasons per year, spring and fall. 2 hours to beach , 40 minutes to I95 via 4 lane hwy. 4 seasons with very little snow. Excellent cultural activities associated with the Univ. and Raleigh the state cap. 15 minutes to RDU international airport. Very reasonable cost of living. Google fiber is being installed, one of 6 areas across the country. Great and convenient shopping.
I would be looking for senior hockey. Not sure if such a thing exists or if i will be able to play at all. I play in a pretty casual league now. There are a few 60+ players, but it's pretty rare. I would need to stay physically fit. Oddly enough, i find hockey to be surprisingly easy on knees, ankles, etc... easier than other sports that involve running.

c29328

On Smoko
Reaction Score
I moved to the southern Oregon coast 3 years ago. I likely will make this my retirement destination. Highs in the 80's. No humidity. Few/no bugs. Rugged beauty. Lots of outdoors. Sun for most of June through November. Wet in winter but still 40's and last two January's hit high 70's for a few days. Can play golf 12 months a year. I managed a skydive in Oregon every month for 2 plus years. Hunting and fishing paradise. Bit out of the way but that's OK in retirement. Buying some land soon.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
San Diego area has the best weather in the world but it is expensive. Tennessee has become a popular destination as an alternative to Florida where the taxes are much higher.
I like the Tennessee idea

Tennessee near Nashville, northwestern Georgia or even Huntsville, Alabama are interesting places for someone who doesn't want to be stuck indoors, doesn't want sweltering heat and humidity of Florida or Arizona and is affordable.

Nashville has great food, good education, culture, sports and quickly goes from urban to rural. And it's affordable.

Huntsville can be interesting. It's not the Alabama stereotype you have in your mind. Highly educated work force, ton of aerospace technology, good education, hills, lakes and four seasons of weather.

Danzz is right. Taking money out of the equation San Diego and areas south of LA are the premier locations. Unfortunately, money does come in to play and you will spend lots of it in SoCal.

The outer banks of North Carolina and the inland bays can be nice too.

As many others will mention, there isn't a right or wrong place to retire. It has to fit your leisure needs and financial needs, since your income is somewhat fixed and you don't have to consider a place for you to work.

Reaction Score
I like AZ ,I think it was a great choice for me.
1 A warmer climate was probably the most important factor.
65 years of winter wears on you.
2. My son was already here ,plus my niece, my sister also retired here so we have substantial family. We also have my wife's best friend and another friend within 75 miles. Don't underestimate family support.
We also have old friends who live in San Diego who stop by.
3. Housing costs ,taxes, style,
Although housing here in certain areas is comparable in price to many places in CT
Actually housing in CT is still depressed
Taxes in almost every area are about a qtr of my CT taxes
Try to find senior friendly housing in CT or the NE , as you age stairs may or may not be a factor
4 I live in a active adult community , with an 18 hole golf course, and a great community center with a great gym,two pools, two hot tubes ,great locker room which includes a sauna.. Also a walking track indoors
Since I walk about 400,000 steps a month that works out well for summer

5 June July August and into Sept are hot but your certainly not stuck in the house , I played golf every day , with early tee times in the summer. You do outside activities in the morning
We don't go on daily savings so we have more sunlight at the coolest part of the day. Even on the hottest days it doen't get to 100 until 10-11 am . By then most golfers are sitting in the lounge having a beer.

5 We have 3 types of retired people here, snowbirds who's start to arrive in Oct and leave around Easter, RV 'ers who technically live here full time ,but in May they travel the country or even park their RV in higher elevations within a few hours of Phoenix. It's less worry free leaving a house here in the summer than leaving a house in a colder climate.in the winter. The North and east of Phoenix Temps are 30 degrees coolerbecause of elevation.
I hate to drive a car never mind a bus so RVing has zero appeal.
My plan is I spend 3-4 weeks in Ct ( leave one kid behind) in June , then another 2 weeks in Sept . Also snuck another vacationi in there in July
I'm in CT now and although the temps were in the 70's . The humidity is killing me .
In AZ I would be wearing long pants and long sleeves with 70's temps

Reaction Score
I'm still 20-25 yrs from retirement, but lately I've been thinking about where I'd like to retire. For some reason New Mexico seems nice. Maybe northern Oklahoma. Near Tulsa. I've also thought of traveling around in a large RV.

Where is the best place to retire?
A short drive from XL or Gample.

Reaction Score
Not sure I could ever live inland when living by the Ocean (or Sound) for most of my life. There is something attractive to me about Ocean views or being short distances to the beach. I don't go to the beach that often but having the option is important, funny that I'm not sure why.

I'm thinking the coastal Carolina's in my future (warm weather and water).

Reaction Score
My old next door neighbors, first moved from Washington State, they finally sold their big boat and house there. Bought a bigger house right on the 11th hole.
They were also RV ers .
They would park their vehicle in a few different locations over the the summer.
Especially when diesel fuel was through the roof. They found a few spots in California they liked.
Fuel in AZ is less than regular gas now so it's not much of an issue.
They finally sold their house here and decided to become full time gypsys.
Not the life I would choose but different strokes.

Reaction Score
My old next door neighbors, first moved from Washington State, they finally sold their big boat and house there. Bought a bigger house right on the 11th hole.
They were also RV ers .
They would park their vehicle in a few different locations over the the summer.
Especially when diesel fuel was through the roof. They found a few spots in California they liked.
Fuel in AZ is less than regular gas now so it's not much of an issue.
They finally sold their house here and decided to become full time gypsys.
Not the life I would choose but different strokes.
Waterbury Connecticut, no wait, Tuscon Az

Any idea how a full time RV'er get's mail. I'm not really sure you even need snail anymore, but I'm still curious. Do I need a P.O. Box some place? If yes, I'm struggling with that location as well. My current plan for the P.O. Box location is either Waterbury or Tuscon.

Reaction Score
Not sure I could ever live inland when living by the Ocean (or Sound) for most of my life. There is something attractive to me about Ocean views or being short distances to the beach. I don't go to the beach that often but having the option is important, funny that I'm not sure why.

I'm thinking the coastal Carolina's in my future (warm weather and water).

I'm with you. If it isn't within an hour's drive of salt water, I'm not interested. It's a long way off for me, but I'm not so worried about cost as I am about being somewhere that I can do the stuff that I like to do.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Cost is a big factor along with weather. Consider hospitals and medical care nearby as well. I'm planning on retiring to Cape Cod. It has winter, but much shorter and warmer than inland, while summers are cooler. Lots to do. Long walks on the beach in spring and fall can be fantastic. It's expensive, but property taxes are really low because with all the expensive vacation homes in the base, there aren't many kids in the schools (80%+ of most municipal budgets).

My parents are in coastal South Carolina in a golf community. It's beautiful down there. Bluffton and Charleston are in that area, both made the list posted by the OP. Beaufort is really nice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom