OT: Best Bagel in CT | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Bagel in CT

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Go to is Lox Stocks and Bagels in west Hartford. Honestly think most bagels are pretty similar, unless you get a terrible one like at DD. Fillings are much more important than the bagel itself.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Also, far from the best bagels ever, but when I was growing up in Glastonbury they had day old bagels from Bagelz available in the cafeteria in school. As a kid, that was really amazing.

That's because homeless shelters wouldn't accept them.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Shef’s on Rt 10 in Cheshire does a good job. Salt bagel w/ scallion cream cheese always hits the spot.

My visit to Shef's yielded the opinion I voiced in the pizza thread. Good local bagel place, proving that it can be done, and the level that should therefore be widely available...but sadly isn't. I've found similar with Cohen's and Bridgeport Bagel King on single samples. Mostly, it's just easier to not think of bagels as a CT thing.

I believe that Amity Meat Market, Westville Kosher Market, and Edge of the Woods get decent NYC bagels delivered, but nothing beats choosing what I'm getting on the basis of, "What's still hot?" which was easy when I lived in Great Neck, was traveling along the Horace Harding, or was biking around lower Manhattan.

I will, for the pairing, sometimes stop into Stamford Fairway and get mini bagels or flats, toast them (otherwise heresy) and have whitefish salad, baked salmon salad, or smoked salmon, but at this point I'm just chasing ancient dragons, and adjusting to lower expectations.

Reaction Score
Jersey has the best bagels. If you ever find yourself in South Orange, NJ. Go to Sonny's bagels. Same bagel recipe for the past 80 years (Watson bagels in Newark.)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Taylor Ham, like Beef on Weck, is testament to the truism that salt works, always.

And the corollary is that butter always works, too, which is why the *right* amount of butter is always key to a great lobster roll.

Reaction Score
Bagels, like lobster rolls, pizza and beer, are pretty easy to make.

As the next 37 pages will demonstrate, it's not hard to find a good one anywhere.
Couldn't be further off base. Most bagels stink, there are even fewer places that truly do bagels right than there are pizza places that do it right. A true NJ bagel is nothing like the soft bready cr@p you get at most places.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Couldn't be further off base. Most bagels stink, there are even fewer places that truly do bagels right than there are pizza places that do it right. A true NJ bagel is nothing like the soft bready cr@p you get at most places.

I'm always right.

The fact that you found something edible in New Jersey is just more evidence of that.

Reaction Score

Amazing (disgusting?) how many people think bagels are just bread with a hole in the middle.

Reaction Score
Shef’s on Rt 10 in Cheshire does a good job. Salt bagel w/ scallion cream cheese always hits the spot.

Bagelicious across the street used to be better before they sold it.

Shef's is decent, but to my dismay I discovered that they put egg in the dough, which really precludes it from being called a bagel.

Reaction Score
The best bagels I've ever had outside of New Jersey is Ami's Bagels in Waterbury. I use to work in the area and get there before 730 am and the best selections are already running out, its that popular in the area. They have 2 locations in Waterbury and you will not be disappointed in either

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Honest question:

which has better food; homeless shelters or school cafeterias?

Homeless shelters, without a doubt. House of Bread in Hartford usually has pretty good stuff and Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s donate to them. They definitely put effort into making their meals

Reaction Score
No, purely because they put way too much salt on their everything bagels to the point that they are basically inedible.
I only get the everything bagel if I'm having it as an egg sandwich. Then it's just enough salt. On its own, though, I agree

Reaction Score
I think the Brookfield one has better bagels but the Danbury one has better subs

...what is a "sub"? Is that like a grinder or something?

Reaction Score
I only get the everything bagel if I'm having it as an egg sandwich. Then it's just enough salt. On its own, though, I agree

Go to Trader Joe's and get this stuff. Then you can order any kind of bagel you want and customize your "Everything" to your liking. Also, since you can put it inside a bagel sandwich or stuck to the cream cheese or butter when open faced, eating is a lot less messy of an endeavor. It's great. Looks like you can get it online at a few places if you don't have a Trader Joe's.

image.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom