OT: Best Bagel in CT | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Bagel in CT

Reaction Score
It’s hard to find even great nyc bagels. They are there but not ubiquitous. Forget bialys which are the best thing ever, but practically extinct

Fully agree as to bialys. Whomever does the bagel platters for our firm on Friday actually includes two bialys most weeks which I get in early to make sure I get one of. I should find out who makes it. (Not that I need a second one a week.)

Reaction Score
I remember when Lender's bagels was a one store retail bakery. Great bagels then, water bagels at it's best. Now the are all over the country and are garbage. Come to the coast in Oregon and I'll make you a true NY style water bagel.

The place in Hamden? Used to have breakfast there occasionally in the 80s when in law school. Even then, their bagels sucked compared to what I grew up with in Westchester.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
What about a wedge?

It's always a grinder. Hot/ cold doesn't matter if it comes on Italian bread

From The Origin of Hoagies, Grinders, Subs, Heroes, and Spuckies
But the weirdest-sounding of all has to be "wedge," which is only familiar to natives of Westchester County, NY, and Fairfield County, CT, the two counties directly north of New York City. Some sources group it in with the shape-names, based on a diagonal cut in the middle of the sandwich, or a wedge cut out of the top half to make more room for fillings, but the real story's probably the simplest on this list: "wedge" is just short for "sandwich," and comes from a Yonkers deli whose Italian owner got tired of saying the whole word.
I remember when I first encountered Subway, their stores used a wedge cut and I didn't understand why they didn't call those wedges.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Bagels, like lobster rolls, pizza and beer, are pretty easy to make.

As the next 37 pages will demonstrate, it's not hard to find a good one anywhere.

yet people brag about drinking Rolling Rock...

Reaction Score
From The Origin of Hoagies, Grinders, Subs, Heroes, and Spuckies
But the weirdest-sounding of all has to be "wedge," which is only familiar to natives of Westchester County, NY, and Fairfield County, CT, the two counties directly north of New York City. Some sources group it in with the shape-names, based on a diagonal cut in the middle of the sandwich, or a wedge cut out of the top half to make more room for fillings, but the real story's probably the simplest on this list: "wedge" is just short for "sandwich," and comes from a Yonkers deli whose Italian owner got tired of saying the whole word.
I remember when I first encountered Subway, their stores used a wedge cut and I didn't understand why they didn't call those wedges.

In the 70s, in Westchester, wedges was the only proper term. I didn't know what a hoagie or a grinder was until I showed up at Trinity for college.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Bagel man in Danbury has great breakfast sandwiches.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who doesn't much care about bagels? I'm half Italian and I've never understood the obsession with bread in general for that matter.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who doesn't much care about bagels? I'm half Italian and I've never understood the obsession with bread in general for that matter.
I like a good bagel, but I am not that crazy about them either. I'd rather have an egg sandwich on a hard roll. Or even better, on everything-styled rye bread

large_bd558fae-aeeb-45cb-8455-42001e414160.jpg

Reaction Score
You can't get in the door on Sundays.

Bagel Train in Suffern NY right on across the line from Mahwah NJ has a ridiculous line on weekend mornings with family and week days with the blue collar folks (usually a good sign) and commiters rushing for the train to NYC.

Reaction Score
yet people brag about drinking Rolling Rock...

Hey, don't mess with the Rock. A year out of college, I had a 12 pack of bottles in my basement studio apartment in Boston and a girl came to visit with her roommate for a weekend. The girl did not like the Rock, her roommate would not turn down a free beer (unless it was Koch or Keystone) and put back a couple with me. Been married to her for over 16 years now...

Reaction Score
Long Island has great bagel shops too. Bagel Boss on Willis Ave in Roslyn Heights is particularly exceptional.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Hey, don't mess with the Rock. A year out of college, I had a 12 pack of bottles in my basement studio apartment in Boston and a girl came to visit with her roommate for a weekend. The girl did not like the Rock, her roommate would not turn down a free beer (unless it was Koch or Keystone) and put back a couple with me. Been married to her for over 16 years now...

Too bad you didn’t have a nice New England IPA, you could be married to Serrano or Rocky or August...

Reaction Score
Too bad you didn’t have a nice New England IPA, you could be married to Serrano or Rocky or August...

LOL. Back in the late '90's, Sam Adams and Rolling Rock were 'microbrews.' My wife was actually on a tear the last few weeks trying every Irish Cider she could find on the Emerald Isle. Too sweet for my liking; but, she was happy, so I was happy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kossar's on Grand St., only real bialy on the planet.
Hah, Białystok begs to differ as the original source of cebularz (aka biały in Yiddish and in the States). And, Poland in general, where biały are among the limited outstanding food items.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Fancy Bagels in Southington (also Farmington I believe) is outstanding.
Muffin Factory has better bagels, give them a try.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
The place in Hamden? Used to have breakfast there occasionally in the 80s when in law school. Even then, their bagels sucked compared to what I grew up with in Westchester.
Yes in Hamden but i'm referring to the late 60's early 70's before they went national. God I'm old.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Stew Leonard's (Norwalk) bakes mediocre bagels, but occasionally has very good bialys. No way store-baked, maybe imported from Kosar's?

Reaction Score
Simsbury's Brookside for steamed, not boiled bagels. For the fellow Boneyarder who questions consistency, Dave & company always make great bagels, but the assembly of the order depends on how deep they are in the weeds (all of Simsbury eats there on weekends). As a long time aficionado, it seems to me that fewer kids working there seem to be stoned these days.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom