OT: BC football to renew historic rivarly...with Holy Cross | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: BC football to renew historic rivarly...with Holy Cross

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In the interest of correcting the record, it seems that the OP didn't bother to read what he/she attached. Neither did I, unfortunately.

The lifetime BC/HC series does not stand at 31-29-3. Rather, it stands at 48-31-3, with BC winning 17 of the last 19 games.

As I said in my post above, the BC/HC sereis in later years was not the BC/HC series in the early years.

I agree that its not fair to Holy Cross to look at the last 20 years of football games between BC and Holy Cross as representative of how competitive this series used to be.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It is an interesting statement of where BC views itself in the national hierarchy.

Reaction Score
In the interest of correcting the record, it seems that the OP didn't bother to read what he/she attached. Neither did I, unfortunately.

The lifetime BC/HC series does not stand at 31-29-3. Rather, it stands at 48-31-3, with BC winning 17 of the last 19 games.

As I said in my post above, the BC/HC sereis in later years was not the BC/HC series in the early years.

Nice reading comprehension bud...

"Though, I do find it amusing that if I did my math right, the football series between BC and Holy Cross was nearly deadlocked at 31-29-3 before BC stayed at D1 and HC dropped down to DIAA. Yep, that's BC, the football powerhouse."

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So I went blind like 10 posts ago because it seems I'm reading a bunch of BC fans defend playing Holy Cross in football.

I could go to Keney Park on any Sunday in the fall and put together a team that could give Holy Cross a game.

Seriously BC fans have some self-respect. Your school is hard up for easy wins... Maybe sit it out on the internet message boards and everyone will forget in a few days.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Why aren't teams like Cuse, BC, PSU, and Miami interested in playing UCONN? That's the question you have to ask.
Easy. They know that if they give UConn the opportunity to beat them on the football field, it makes UConn more attractive to the recruits that those schools are vying for, outside Miami, thus putting UConn in a better position. It's the same stupid, self-righteous thinking for why Syracuse and BC will ALWAYS vote against UConn coming into the ACC should they look to expand again.

Reaction Score
Easy. They know that if they give UConn the opportunity to beat them on the football field, it makes UConn more attractive to the recruits that those schools are vying for, outside Miami, thus putting UConn in a better position. It's the same stupid, self-righteous thinking for why Syracuse and BC will ALWAYS vote against UConn coming into the ACC should they look to expand again.
You are spot on my friend! Their decision to not play us, and to vote against us, is motivated by FEAR and not residual bitterness. They'll never admit that, but because they have everything to lose by playing us...and losing to us...they'll do everything they can to avoid us, while instead taking on the likes of powerhouse Holy Cross.... in the name of tradition and rivalry! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
You are spot on my friend! Their decision to not play us, and to vote against us, is motivated by FEAR and not residual bitterness. They'll never admit that, but because they have everything to lose by playing us...and losing to us...they'll do everything they can to avoid us, while instead taking on the likes of powerhouse Holy Cross.... in the name of tradition and rivalry! :rolleyes:

It's the lawsuit stupid. ;)

Reaction Score

Someday soon they know they'll be our Holy Cross.

Reaction Score
Impossible...I have it on good authority from several visiting ACC posterss that the P5 schools were going be so concerned about SOS when scheduling OOC games, that they'd be scheduling tougher opponents so the top teams in their conference would have a stronger SOS to help their chances of finishing top 4 and making the 4 team playoff. ;).

Aside from that, what's the big deal about BC scheduling HC? If you're going to schedule an FCS then why wouldn't it be a local who you have some history with. HC is adding scholarships, so it now becomes an option no different than URI, Fordham, etc...

Reaction Score
Impossible...I have it on good authority from several visiting ACC posterss that the P5 schools were going be so concerned about SOS when scheduling OOC games, that they'd be scheduling tougher opponents so the top teams in their conference would have a stronger SOS to help their chances of finishing top 4 and making the 4 team playoff. ;).

Aside from that, what's the big deal about BC scheduling HC? If you're going to schedule an FCS then why wouldn't it be a local who you have some history with. HC is adding scholarships, so it now becomes an option no different than URI, Fordham, etc...
If you're concerned about SOS, yet want to somehow strengthen your schedule by playing an FCS school, then why wouldn't you look to someone like New Hampshire? They could be more than just a regional rivalry, in fact could almost consider them a "local" one. They've also been quite successful at the FCS level of play. It sure would be more competitive than playing against a Holy Cross program that is just starting to offer scholarships again and actually had to make a promise to BC that they would be at a minimum scholarship level a year in advance of the game. You know why? Because if HC is not, then the game won't even count! So actually, this game sounds just right for BC. Play a team that's not strong enough to have any chance of beating you, yet offers just enough scholarships for the game to count! Perfect!

Reaction Score
If you're concerned about SOS, yet want to somehow strengthen your schedule by playing an FCS school, then why wouldn't you look to someone like New Hampshire? They could be more than just a regional rivalry, in fact could almost consider them a "local" one. They've also been quite successful at the FCS level of play. It sure would be more competitive than playing against a Holy Cross program that is just starting to offer scholarships again and actually had to make a promise to BC that they would be at a minimum scholarship level a year in advance of the game. You know why? Because if HC is not, then the game won't even count! So actually, this game sounds just right for BC. Play a team that's not strong enough to have any chance of beating you, yet offers just enough scholarships for the game to count! Perfect!

Then how do you explain the fact that BC played Villanova this past season when they were #9 in the preseason FCS polls? BC played Umass in 2007 when they were coming off the 2006 FCS Championship game and finished #7 in the 2007 polls.

Look, if HC has decided to upgrade their program and bring in the number of scholarship athletes to enable the game to count for BC bowl consideration, why wouldn't BC do it? BC and HC was one of the oldest rivalries in FB. They have played 82 games against each other dating back to 1896. For decades, it was one of the premier game in New England, along with Harvard/Yale. Sure, it will never be what it once was, but with that much shared history, it is a no-brainer to schedule at least a couple of games with them as the "FCS game".

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There's no bigger critic of BC than me, but I don't see why BC wouldn't pick up a couple of games with HC as its seasonal FCS opponent.

That said, folks on this board had better get it through their heads that BC and Syracuse are going to do nothing to help UCONN get into the ACC or help while we're outside of the P5. NOTHING! Those athletic departments view UCONN as a major threat, and when we went to the next level in football in scared the holy crap out of them. In the case of BC in particular you are talking about a small, insular institution with zero strategic focus in athletics. Regional competition is viewed as a threat rather than an opportunity.

As for the regular host of visiting posters, I see it as nothing more than enjoying UCONN's unfortunate position in CR. Small person stuff........

Reaction Score

The lifetime BC/HC series does not stand at 31-29-3. Rather, it stands at 48-31-3, with BC winning 17 of the last 19 game

I noted that the series record stood at 31-29-3 before HC dropped down to non-scholarship D-IAA based on the clip saying the overall series record as 48-31-3 with BC winning 17 of the last 19. Was aiming for a apples-to-apples comparison.

And yes, BC has dominated UConn historically, including the time period that UConn jumped to D-IA/FBS in 2000, 0-4-0. Though, first I would have really liked to see the 2003 game replayed with unbiased refs* and what the series would like today if UConn and BC has played from 2000 through 2013. My guess, BC would still lead the series; but, UConn would have won 2 or 3 games.

* BC was up 14 to 7 in the 2nd quarter and driving. On third down, if memory services, Orlovsky throw the ball in the end zone off the back of a BC LB who had bear-hugged the UConn TE on a crossing for at least 5 seconds in before the ball was thrown with a ref standing right there. Pass interference clear as day to everyone. But, no flag. I was close enough to hear the BC players high fiving everyone laughing about the no call. UConn misses the field goal and looses 24-14.

Regardless, BC, like UConn, needs to improve their schedules. An annual game between the two best (sorry UMass) D-1/FBS teams in New England would drive fan interest (and thus TV interest) in the region and promote college football overall in a region that needs it. UConn has indicated that it wants to renew the series for those exact reasons. BC, on the other hand, appears to want to re-start a series against a team that is likely not to be competitive with BC for the foreseeable history to what, appease alumni from the mid 1900's? UConn could do the same and play Yale again (and I might actually see the game for once instead of spending the entire time wasted in the Yale Bowl parking lot); but, it does nothing for UConn football going forward.

Reaction Score
This comparison of football records is intellectually dishonest unless you are a dope. BC and UCONN played most of their football against each other while the programs were on completely different tiers. The last time they played, UCONN was in it's first year in the Big East and only its 3rd year at the D1A level. We didn't even have a full scholarship contingent.

Five years later, UCONN won its first conference championship and was every bit the football program that BC was in spite of the uncertainty surrounding the Big East. I fully expect that to continue. When UCONN ends up in either the ACC or BiG the dye will be caste and UCONN football will compare to BC football much the way the two schools compare in hoops.

Reaction Score
There's no bigger critic of BC than me, but I don't see why BC wouldn't pick up a couple of games with HC as its seasonal FCS opponent.

That said, folks on this board had better get it through their heads that BC and Syracuse are going to do nothing to help UCONN get into the ACC or help while we're outside of the P5. NOTHING! Those athletic departments view UCONN as a major threat, and when we went to the next level in football in scared the holy crap out of them. In the case of BC in particular you are talking about a small, insular institution with zero strategic focus in athletics. Regional competition is viewed as a threat rather than an opportunity.

As for the regular host of visiting posters, I see it as nothing more than enjoying UCONN's unfortunate position in CR. Small person stuff...

BC and Holy Cross ( and Umass ) vs. BC has more local Boston region interest than BC playing UCONN, now of the AAC. It just does. I like College Football, live 10 miles from the BC campus and wish people around Boston cared about UConn, BC,, etc and College Football in general, and wish it was different, but few care. As such, what little interest there is would be for a BC- Umass game or a BC- Holy Cross game, rather than a BC- Weber State, or even a BC- Wake Forest matchup. BC- Uconn might do a lot of Uconn fans, but it does little for Boston casual fans, even if Uconn won. They will come out to see Florida State, Notre Dame, and such however, as these are are marquee programs. BC will probably never become a national marquee program ( neither will UConn either ), so from Boston's perspective, putting 2 more Massachuseetts schools on the out of conference schedule, especially where neither fan bases have a small but noticeable contingent of violent prone in their mix, does seem to make scheduling sense to a lot of non BC alums in the Boston area. Just thought I 'd chime in on this thread re. BC's upcoming scheduling from a casual college football fan living near the City of Boston.

Reaction Score
Yeah......sure........that's exactly why BC won't schedule UCONN.

Like I mentioned before, intellectual integrity always appears to be in short supply at BC.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
BC and Holy Cross ( and Umass ) vs. BC has more local Boston region interest than BC playing UCONN, now of the AAC. It just does. I like College Football, live 10 miles from the BC campus and wish people around Boston cared about UConn, BC,, etc and College Football in general, and wish it was different, but few care. As such, what little interest there is would be for a BC- Umass game or a BC- Holy Cross game, rather than a BC- Weber State, or even a BC- Wake Forest matchup. BC- Uconn might do a lot of Uconn fans, but it does little for Boston casual fans, even if Uconn won. They will come out to see Florida State, Notre Dame, and such however, as these are are marquee programs. BC will probably never become a national marquee program ( neither will UConn either ), so from Boston's perspective, putting 2 more Massachuseetts schools on the out of conference schedule, especially where neither fan bases have a small but noticeable contingent of violent prone in their mix, does seem to make scheduling sense to a lot of non BC alums in the Boston area. Just thought I 'd chime in on this thread re. BC's upcoming scheduling from a casual college football fan living near the City of Boston.
You won't play us because you have too much to lose, that's the reality. And no Sherlock of course nd and real football powers draw better then us. I thought that was common sense?

Reaction Score
You won't play us because you have too much to lose, that's the reality. And no Sherlock of course nd and real football powers draw better then us. I thought that was common sense?

Husky, I don't necessarily disagree with what you have stated above. The fact is that teams schedule games against one another when it suits the mutual best interest of both teams. That is a simple fact.

The reaity is that, IMO, BC and SU have probably determined that it is not in their best interest to schedule Uconn at this point in time. It is not the obigation of any entity to help a competitor. At this time, IMO, these games would benefit Uconn more than BC or SU.

IMO, if anyone belives that if the situation were reversed, that Uconn would not be adopting the exact same strategy as they claim BC and SU are following, then they are not showing the "intellectual honesty" that was mentioned above. Heck, the fact that Uconn has played Umass (the flagship school of the neighboring state, with a campus located closer to Uconn than any other FBS school they could play) once in the dozen or so years that Uconn has been at the FBS level (with no future games scheduled) makes my point, IMO.

If Uconn makes it to the BiG, BC and Uconn might play against one another if BOTH schools determinie it to be in their best interest. If one or both decide it is not in their best interest, they won't.

Pretty basic.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If anyone belives that if the situation were reversed, that Uconn would not be adopting the exact same strategy as they claim BC and SU are following, then they are not showing the "intellectual honesty" that Uconn talked about above.

I'm calling bull . Of course UCONN acts in its own best interest, but UCONN recognizes full well that college sports is driven largely by regional interests. It has never excluded regional interests because it recognizes that regional interest is in it's own best interest and because UCONN has never shied away from competition. BC is trying its best to exclude UCONN from the ACC and direct football competition largely out of fear and vengeance......and it's absolutely moronic from a business perspective, because a vibrant UCONN athletic program is good for college athletics in the region.

Just to be clear, I don't worry about UCONN remaining competitive with BC and Syracuse even with our crappy conference affiliation. What disappoints me is that with this affiliation UCONN's opportunity to be visible on a national level in football is greatly diminished. UCONN's view of the world is a lot different than BC's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom