OT: BC football to renew historic rivarly...with Holy Cross | Page 9 | The Boneyard

OT: BC football to renew historic rivarly...with Holy Cross

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What I would love to know is why does BCU fans go to 'the-Boneyard' if they HATE UConn?? Don't these jerks have ANYTHING BETTER to do then go here??

Reaction Score
Sure they did. Publically, Uconn was stating fidelity and loyalty for the BE, while its AD ( Perkins ) was in contact with the ACC office immediately after Miami left to determine the ACC's interest in Uconn. Then as recently as 2 years ago, once again, UCONN was pledging fidelity to the reconstituted BE, while its President was on the phone to both the ACC ( again ) to determine the ACC's interest in Uconn. I assume you know this. If not, I don't know why. Its certainly known up in Boston and down in ACC headquarters,.... and is all part of the public record via court records in the Blumenthal lawsuit. But thats beside the point, The point is that it would be a failure of UCONN''S former AD Perkins to his school NOT to have pushed for Uconn's consideration by the ACC after Miami left. So of course he did, irrespective of his public posturing to the contrary..... finally, if you as a loyal and good worker leave your firm for another because you believe it is your future best interests, and the loss of your value to your former firm becomes evident, the fact that your former firm is " damaged " is a true statement. But did you really set out to " damage or destroy the firm " ? Or was that really incidental to your primary motive for moving to the new firm ? And remember, in this scenario, the firm ( BE ) was already " damaged " by the loss of its key employee ( Miami ) before you ( BC ) had a chance to move on. The fact that Harry ( Uconn ) is left in a " damaged" ( BE ) firm is most unfortunate for Harry ( Uconn ), but to blame the departed employee ( BC ) for this circumstance does not primarily rest with the departed employee. It rests primarily with the crappy, dysfunctional company ( BE ) that both Harry ( UCONN ) and the departed ( BC ) once inhabited.

Yawkey Way, do you have proof?? And could you answer me way you BCU fans come here to a place you hate (The Boneyard) and post??

Reaction Score
What I would love to know is why does BCU fans go to 'the-Boneyard' if they HATE UConn?? Don't these jerks have ANYTHING BETTER to do then go here??

I can't speak for the one or two other BC fans that have replied to this thread topic re. the BC football schedule , but if you have been following the thread ( my guess you havn't been... not in my case anyway), then my answer to your inquiry ( as stated above a couple of times ) is that I'm a BC non alum fan living in Greater Boston that have familiy and friends that live in Connecticut and follow Uconn sports ( as well as BC) like I do. Also, I've read every comment on this thread so far by a BC football fan and have not detected a single case of ( your words ) a" HATE Uconn " type reply. Not one. Nor even any derogatory name calling either by any BC fan of a Uconn poster on this particular thread. However, if you'd like to point out where there was any BC " HATE Uconn " reply exhibited by a BC fan on this thread above, I would reconsider this assessment, to let it be known their reply tone was uncalled for in my opinion. But I have not observed this at all. Its been mostly a civil discourse on this thread, despite the quite obvious differences of opinion ( and occasional agreements and acknowledgements ) on events, behaviors, activities, motivations etc that have taken place between these 2 schools.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Are these records available for public consumption?

This is a fair request, and I'll try to assist on this... The Viking. John Swofford, the ACC Commish stated under Oath in the Defendants lawsuit in Deposition that Lew Perkins, the Uconn AD contacted him a few days after Miami left the BE in 2003 to determine the ACC's interest in taking Uconn. Swofford said he told Perkins that Uconn was not in the ACC expansion plans at the time. UCONN publically took the position of loyalty to the BE ( But in fairness to UCONN so didn't all the BE football schools ). This is part of the public record.

Another source ( cited souce here for you ) is Tom McElroy, BE Assistant Commisioner of the Big East during 2003. He acknowledges UCONN's inquiry and quest to seek admittance to the ACC as far back as 2003. McElroy claims that BC blocked those efforts in 2003 ( but Swofford, BC deny thee attempt at blockage of UCONN at this early time frame. But the key here, is that McElroy ( and as Ass't BE Commish he would know ) UCONN said in an interview published last year that ( quote) " BC blocked Uconn to the ACC in 2003". Hope this helps clear up some misconceptions about the notion that UCONN did not attempt to get intself into the ACC in 2003 after Miami left. The fact that much of the bitterness that is hurled on BC is built primarily on false understandings of what actually factually occured is most unfortunate. ( source is under the article, 3.4th down under " ACC 2011 expansion )http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/2013/06/syracuse_acc_sports_change_con.html

http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/2013/06/syracuse_acc_sports_change_con.html

Last edited:
Reaction Score
BC hosts Duke in 15 minutes. Surely that or something else in your life would take precedent over thr inordinate amount of time you spend on this board.

Or, maybe not ..........

Reaction Score
BC hosts Duke in 15 minutes. Surely that or something else in your life would take precedent over thr inordinate amount of time you spend on this board.

Or, maybe not .....
Thats a bit of a snarky response. I'm more interested in providing information to people that regrettably apparently were under the misconception that Lew Perkins, the Uconn AD did not attempt to privately get UCONN into the ACC in 2003, while publically taking the position of loyalty and fidelity to the BE at the time. John Swofford publically stated that he did not take kindly to being a defendant in a lawsuit coming out of Connecticut AD's office when UCONN itself sought entry into his ACC league prior the launch of the lawsuit. Is it possible that Blumenthal himself was not aware of the private actions of Perkins at UCONN ?, or was Blumenthal aware but pro0ceeded with the lawsuit anyway ? Who knows. But its clear to all ( or should be by now ) that UCONN was attempting to privately secure entry into the ACC in 2003 after Miami left ( and something BC was attempting to do as well, but was being excoriated by the BE because their efforts to secure entry looked like a go for them in 2003 ). Its not my fault that I'm I'm reading for the first time that apparently a lot of UCONN football fans were not aware of UCONN's private contacts in 2003 to get into the ACC... As such, it does help me understand for the first time that many UCONN fans are bitter toward BC but its probably not their fault. Many are somehow unfamilar with what both the ACC AND the BE top officials have acknowledged, but that many Uconn fans were not made aware of for one reason or another...... until now ,it appears. This attempt at educating some UCONN fans with what appears to me to be new info for the vast majority of them on here is more satisfying for me than watching a BC lame duck basketball coach about to takes his charges out on a court to be smoked at home by Duke. But you're right, this is my personal choice.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Uconn wasnt trying to get into thd acc. Uconn leadeship was constantly trying to keep the big east together. Tranghese has acknowledged as much publicly. Most recently after the catholic schools decided to seperate from football. Those are facts.

Reaction Score
Uconn wasnt trying to get into thd acc. Uconn leadeship was constantly trying to keep the big east together. Tranghese has acknowledged as much publicly. Most recently after the catholic schools decided to seperate from football. Those are facts.
I just cited for you above ( his direct words quoted and sourced for you ) that Ass't BE Commish McElroy is on record stating that UCONN'S quest to get into the ACC was blocked in 2003. So I don't know what else to tell you, noeynox.... As for Tranghese, he contacted the ACC and he and the ACC met in a hotel outside D..C. airport in 2000 with a pitch for the ACC to take Miami, BC, Syracuse into the ACC in return for money and assurances not to future intrude on his coveted BE Basketball league side of the BE. Thats all been cited in the newspapers as well as Defendant court document testimony as well.I'm sure its clear to all by now that Tranghese was never the best guy to advance the BE Football " to stick together ", and any of that public posturing nonsense from him. Tranghese from day one was totally immersed and marinated in the basketball side of the BE... not football.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thats a bit of a snarky response. ice.

Yup, but one of college basketball's all time storied programs is at your place and you are posting this stuff. Begs the question.

Reaction Score
Bottom line, UCONN'S ultimate goal is to attain a higher level of national stature. And I get that. If Uconn takes care of its own business by winning the AAC, over the level of teams it should be quite capable of doing, then they will increase that level of national stature its seeks, and with that, it really won't matter if they play BC or not, nor matter at all what happens at Chestnut Hill. Thats how I assess all this anyway. Good luck.
Love it when posters say "just win..." If winning mattered, UConn wouldn't be in the situation they're in (Syracuse would). If academics mattered UConn wouldn't be in the situation they are in (Louisville would). Lucy keeps pulling the ball away right before it's about to be kicked. UConn is the Charlie Brown of Conference Realignment

Reaction Score
Yup, but one of college basketball's all time storied programs is at your place and you are posting this stuff. Begs the question.
No problem in your asking. I have the ability to multitask, ie watch the BC- Duke game ( or the Olympics or whatever ) in front of me on the TV, while simultaneously reading and posting on here via computer. Its not that difficult really, imo. I saw BC get smoked at home by Duke ( as I predicted here ), and didn't miss any of the game while reading and posting on here.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Kudos to you, CL82. You are correct. It was Adams. I stand corrected.

As far as the rest of your statement, well, what I said above holds; we will just have to agree to disagree; although I think you should pay attention to what SA is doing. BC just hauled in what many BC fans believe to be the best BC recruiting class in a long, long time (especially since most of these recruits pledged before the season when BC was coming off 2 wins!). This guy wants to be in New England and knows how to market the program. We see big things ahead.

Sure, you will probably disagree, but at least can we agree that the characterization of BC "sucking at everything, except hockey (for now)" is not borne out by the facts?
Addazio was a good pick up for you guys. But for some quirky timing, he might well have been our coach instead of Pasqualoni. Still I'm happy with Diaco, though it is still too early to know how he will do. I think we both understand that the poster you quoted was using hyperbole. I think you have to accept that if you come on to a UConn board.

The consensus here is that the move the ACC, while financially successful, has left the BC fans disconnected with their program and their sports programs diminished. Is that sucking? Well, only if you want your sports program to continue to trend upwards, or at least stay on the same plateau. My sense is that that is no longer the case at BC, but that may well be selective perception since I don't follow your program.

Reaction Score
I can't speak for the one or two other BC fans that have replied to this thread topic re. the BC football schedule , but if you have been following the thread ( my guess you havn't been... not in my case anyway), then my answer to your inquiry ( as stated above a couple of times ) is that I'm a BC non alum fan living in Greater Boston that have familiy and friends that live in Connecticut and follow Uconn sports ( as well as BC) like I do. Also, I've read every comment on this thread so far by a BC football fan and have not detected a single case of ( your words ) a" HATE Uconn " type reply. Not one. Nor even any derogatory name calling either by any BC fan of a Uconn poster on this particular thread. However, if you'd like to point out where there was any BC " HATE Uconn " reply exhibited by a BC fan on this thread above, I would reconsider this assessment, to let it be known their reply tone was uncalled for in my opinion. But I have not observed this at all. Its been mostly a civil discourse on this thread, despite the quite obvious differences of opinion ( and occasional agreements and acknowledgements ) on events, behaviors, activities, motivations etc that have taken place between these 2 schools.

Yawkey Way, as a UConn Fan, I never supported the lawsuit Bluminthal started. I knew that it would create hard feelings amongst both schools' fans (and it did). I wish we could have part as friends, but Bluminthal saw it as a chance to politicized it. I just hope when we play hockey as rivals in the HE, both schools will get together and create a few OOC games -- and maybe BC could help us. (Having 3 FBS teams in New England will help High School FB...IMHO)

However, some of BC's fans (not you!!) do love to tell us that we aren't in a P5 conference. We know we aren't, but CR isn't done yet. Some of BC's fans hate UConn - and if it is due to the lawsuit, as I said I DID NOT support it. I would love to know why other BC fans troll here (and even Rutgers fans, too). Isn't the BC's sites as good as 'The-Boneyard'?

Reaction Score
Yawkey Way, as a UConn Fan, I never supported the lawsuit Bluminthal started. I knew that it would create hard feelings amongst both schools' fans (and it did). I wish we could have part as friends, but Bluminthal saw it as a chance to politicized it. I just hope when we play hockey as rivals in the HE, both schools will get together and create a few OOC games -- and maybe BC could help us. (Having 3 FBS teams in New England will help High School FB...IMHO)

However, some of BC's fans (not you!!) do love to tell us that we aren't in a P5 conference. We know we aren't, but CR isn't done yet. Some of BC's fans hate UConn - and if it is due to the lawsuit, as I said I DID NOT support it. I would love to know why other BC fans troll here (and even Rutgers fans, too). Isn't the BC's sites as good as 'The-Boneyard'?

I think most people.. the ones paying attention to this suff anyway up in Boston... know that Blumenthal's lawsuit and his public grandstanding with it, has divided opinion now on whether or not it was the right strategy to employ at the time among the UCONN fanbase as they look back on it now in retrospect. You'll probably be happy to know as well however that with each passing day, my sense is that many in the BC fanbase think less and less of BC's AD Gene DeFilippo too. For one, his coaching hires were awful, and his public comments on the whole sorry saga terrible to say the least as well. Both BC and UCONN have had replacements at their schools that should benefit both schools in the long run, imo... as to why a handful or so of Rutgers and BC trolls come here, thats an easy one to answer. They like to make mischief and can't get that sort of perverse and fleeting satisfaction from their own fan message boards it seems to me. Every fan base has its crazies. I just chuckle, then pass them right on by without blinking an eye with that crowd.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think most people.. the ones paying attention to this suff anyway up in Boston... know that Blumenthal's lawsuit and his public grandstanding with it, has divided opinion now on whether or not it was the right strategy to employ at the time among the UCONN fanbase as they look back on it now in retrospect. You'll probably be happy to know as well however that with each passing day, my sense is that many in the BC fanbase think less and less of BC's AD Gene DeFilippo too. For one, his coaching hires were awful, and his public comments on the whole sorry saga terrible to say the least as well. Both BC and UCONN have had replacements at their schools that should benefit both schools in the long run, imo... as to why a handful or so of Rutgers and BC trolls come here, thats an easy one to answer. They like to make mischief and can't get that sort of perverse and fleeting satisfaction from their own fan message boards it seems to me. Every fan base has its crazies. I just chuckle, then pass them right on by without blinking an eye with that crowd.

I agree....every fan base has its crazies

Reaction Score
From Dan Shaughnessy in the Globe this morning:

"Nobody enjoyed the Boston College-Holy Cross football rivalry more than myself, but putting the Crusaders on the field with the Eagles again is a bad idea."

Reaction Score
From Dan Shaughnessy in the Globe this morning:

"Nobody enjoyed the Boston College-Holy Cross football rivalry more than myself, but putting the Crusaders on the field with the Eagles again is a bad idea."

Its just his opinion, and like everyone else, he's entitled to it. Although it might be pointed out that Carrot Top here rarely covers BC football games anymore, no matter who they play. Its not his beat, Mike Vega handles that primarily at the Globe now that Blaudschun was let go at the Globe. Shaughnessy should stick to MLB, Yankees and Red Sox coverage. He knows baseball well.... NBA too. But College football ? I promise you... he couldn't tell you who the current football Coach is at Uconn, nor name a single player on last year's Uconn football team,. He's mostly out of the loop on College football , and especially that of New England College football.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Its just his opinion, and like everyone else, he's entitled to it. Although it might be pointed out that Carrot Top here rarely covers BC football games anymore, no matter who they play. Its not his beat, Mike Vega handles that primarily at the Globe now that Blaudschun was let go at the Globe. Shaughnessy should stick to MLB, Yankees and Red Sox coverage. He knows baseball well. College football ? I promise you... he couldn't tell you who the current football Coach is at Uconn, nor name a single player on last year's Uconn football team,. He's mostly out of the loop on College football , and especially that of New England College football.

His point is that HC and BC went down different athletic paths years ago and playing again in football makes no sense as it is not a rivalry anymore, just an easy W for BC. What is the point of that? If you are going to play FCS teams, play the competitive ones like UNH, Villanova,...

Reaction Score
His point is that HC and BC went down different athletic paths years ago and playing again in football makes no sense as it is not a rivalry anymore, just an easy W for BC. What is the point of that? If you are going to play FCS teams, play the competitive ones like UNH, Villanova,...

It is a win for BC and a payday for Holy Cross, a closely related Jesuit University and former rival. It provides a game that should be better attended than other FCS Schools because of past history. No more, no less.

By 2018, with Holy Cross giving a full complement of FCS Scholarships they may well be at the same level as a UNH or Villanova. By the way BC played Villanova last year.

Reaction Score

Its a valid point that he makes too.. but he rarely covers N.E. College football in his Globe and 99% of his columns he writes each week don't cover anything thats happening in College football in New England anymore. So for someone like me in Greater Boston, his comment, while valid, is viewed in this context.. thats all that I am trying to say, UConnJim. ( and as pointed out , BC did play ' Nova last season .. and has Umass upcoming this season)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thats a bit of a snarky response. I'm more interested in providing information to people that regrettably apparently were under the misconception that Lew Perkins, the Uconn AD did not attempt to privately get UCONN into the ACC in 2003, while publicly taking the position of loyalty and fidelity to the BE at the time. John Swofford publicly stated that he did not take kindly to being a defendant in a lawsuit coming out of Connecticut AD's office when UCONN itself sought entry into his ACC league prior the launch of the lawsuit. Is it possible that Blumenthal himself was not aware of the private actions of Perkins at UCONN ?, or was Blumenthal aware but pro0ceeded with the lawsuit anyway ? Who knows. But its clear to all ( or should be by now ) that UCONN was attempting to privately secure entry into the ACC in 2003 after Miami left ( and something BC was attempting to do as well, but was being excoriated by the BE because their efforts to secure entry looked like a go for them in 2003 ). Its not my fault that I'm I'm reading for the first time that apparently a lot of UCONN football fans were not aware of UCONN's private contacts in 2003 to get into the ACC... As such, it does help me understand for the first time that many UCONN fans are bitter toward BC but its probably not their fault. Many are somehow unfamiliar with what both the ACC AND the BE top officials have acknowledged, but that many Uconn fans were not made aware of for one reason or another. until now ,it appears. This attempt at educating some UCONN fans with what appears to me to be new info for the vast majority of them on here is more satisfying for me than watching a BC lame duck basketball coach about to takes his charges out on a court to be smoked at home by Duke. But you're right, this is my personal choice.
My only question is: Did BC try to block UConn going into the ACC? This does not imply that if BC did not attempt to block UConn that UConn would have been admitted. However, it make just cause for the CT AG at that time to seek a vendetta against BC. Granted, this vendetta, should have been in threat only, as this would have made the point and not in action in my honest opinion. The action our CT AG made at that time actually cost more than what was settled. The only ones who made out were the lawyers as is usually the case. For this reason, more than any other I hate that this action took place. To me it was a joke - a bad joke, and worse a costly joke. But I do think that many fans feel that BC has gotten in the way of UConn far too often to just be coincidental.

Reaction Score
Yawkey I still don't buy this story about UConn trying to get into the ACC 10 years ago...I haven't really seen any write up about it from any writer in the NE or SE other than a throw away line in a blog article 8 or 9 years later.

How is it you have access to Swofford's testimony? I'd love to see it myself!

Although as you said, if the biggest fball team and the biggest local rival is leaving along with potentially Syracuse, I could see why he would want to see if he could get a ticket too - which by the way is different than what BC did which was to instigate the real beginning of this entire Conference Realigment mess.

A city tied to the Northeast in everyway possible going to a confederate conference proved that anything really could be possible with teams moving around. Everyone was flabbergasted once that happened. I still remember Dickie V saying what a joke it was for BC to leave the BE for the ACC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yawkey I still don't buy this story about UConn trying to get into the ACC 10 years ago...I haven't really seen any write up about it from any writer in the NE or SE other than a throw away line in a blog article 8 or 9 years later.
Its common knowledge up in Boston that follow this stuff that Uconn AD Lew Perkins tried in 2003 within days days of learning that Miami was bolting the ACC to determine the ACC's interest in UCONN in becoming a member, so he contacted Commissioner John Swofford himself personally ( and who could blame him for doing so ? ). Its been published in several articles of Perkins contact in 2003 with the ACC on behalf of UCONN. If you are looking for the latest confirmation of this, there is last summers article I cited above on this very thread for you and others, and this latest confirmation actually comes from BE offices itself. Ass't Commissioner for 2003 Tom McElroy confirms that Uconn tried to secure a ACC spot for themselves in 2003. This part is inarguable and indisputable it seems to me by now. What is in dispute however is that Mc Elroy is quoted as saying that " BC attempted to block Uconn's entry to the ACC in 2003". BC denies they attempted to do so in 2003, but McElroy says they did.. so its simply question of who is telling the truth, and my guess UCOON fans would be inclined to believe the BE that it was BC that attempted to block Uconn's quest to secure entry into the ACC after Miami left in 2003 and I 'll accept that . John Swofford, the ACC Commisioner also confirms in sworn depositions in the lawsuit as a Defendant that Perkins, the Uconn AD, contacted him in 2003 to determine the ACC's interest in Uconn. But I'd rather use the BE Ass't Commisioner McElroy on this UCONN board as a most recent ( summer 2013) source for this as he's not from BC, not from the ACC, but from the BE office itself, and as Ass't BE Commissioner, 2nd only to Michael Trangheese, Tom McElroy would know about this 2003 quest by Uconn than just about anyone else. Hope this helps fill in the blanks for you ( and others) Viking. Sometimes its not until years later that the truth, no matter how uncomfortable, eventually surfaces to bring closure to bad things that happen. De Fillipo was a jerk, and said and did a lot of things that were highly unprofessional. He'd say one thing in public, but do something else in private. But he sure as heck wasn't the only one doing this, as we've now learned over the years.

Anyway.. here's just the most recent source cite of UCONN's quest for ACC membership in 2003 ( and before the lawsuit was launced by Blumenthal ) ; Ass't BE Commish Tom McElroy under section " 2011 ACC expansion ": http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/2013/06/syracuse_acc_sports_change_con.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr