OT: BC football to renew historic rivarly...with Holy Cross | The Boneyard

OT: BC football to renew historic rivarly...with Holy Cross

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So instead of moving forward from the past and re-starting a series with the only other viable DI/FBS team in New England, BC is setting-up a 2 game series with a FCS team that just began to offer scholarships again after a 20+ year absence.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-holy-cross-to-renew-old-rivalry-in-2018-2020

Though, I do find it amusing that if I did my math right, the football series between BC and Holy Cross was nearly deadlocked at 31-29-3 before BC stayed at D1 and HC dropped down to DIAA. Yep, that's BC, the football powerhouse.

Reaction Score
So instead of moving forward from the past and re-starting a series with the only other viable DI/FBS team in New England, BC is setting-up a 2 game series with a FCS team that just began to offer scholarships again after a 20+ year absence.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-holy-cross-to-renew-old-rivalry-in-2018-2020

Though, I do find it amusing that if I did my math right, the football series between BC and Holy Cross was nearly deadlocked at 31-29-3 before BC stayed at D1 and HC dropped down to DIAA. Yep, that's BC, the football powerhouse.

Oh, come on. The 31-29-3 is reflective of the entire series history, not the later years. It was a very competitive series for many decades when Holy Cross played at the top level. It only got one-sided in the last 15 or so years of the series, when it was clear that BC and HC were moving in opposite directions, competitive-wise.

The Holy Cross that played BC in the 50's was not the Holy Cross that played BC in the 80's. That's why Holy Cross ended the series.

To make a judgement on BC based on games played decades ago against a different Holy Cross would be like, oh, I don't know, drawing conclusions on the differences between BC and a certain other New England team based on a 12-0-1 record gainst that team, where 2/3 of the games occurred decades ago!

Reaction Score

He's right, this is the same as if we announced a series with URI -- but I still hate BC.

Reaction Score

Of course UConn's record vs. Holy Cross versus Holy Cross is 8-19-1. What does that say about UConn? Since you brought up the subject.

Reaction Score
He's right, this is the same as if we announced a series with URI -- but I still hate BC.

Or if we had a 2 game series with Yale... (remember Yale dominated the games in the first decades... (until '62))

Reaction Score
Of course UConn's record vs. Holy Cross versus Holy Cross is 8-19-1. What does that say about UConn? Since you brought up the subject.

Hank:

Holy Cross and the Ivy were the teams people looked at in the '30s).

Reaction Score

It tells me that a team that is 8-19-1 lifetime against Holy Cross won two Big East Championships and played in a BCS Bowl.

Switching to basketball, the national championship scoreboard reads, as you know: Holy Cross 1, Boston College 0.

Reaction Score
Oh, come on. The 31-29-3 is reflective of the entire series history, not the later years. It was a very competitive series for many decades when Holy Cross played at the top level. It only got one-sided in the last 15 or so years of the series, when it was clear that BC and HC were moving in opposite directions, competitive-wise.

The Holy Cross that played BC in the 50's was not the Holy Cross that played BC in the 80's. That's why Holy Cross ended the series.

To make a judgement on BC based on games played decades ago against a different Holy Cross would be like, oh, I don't know, drawing conclusions on the differences between BC and a certain other New England team based on a 12-0-1 record gainst that team, where 2/3 of the games occurred decades ago!

I think you missed his main point and instead chose to focus on the historical record against Holy Cross. I think most informed college football fans would recognize that HC wasn't, and hasn't, been competitive in football for a long, long time. In fact, most of the teams considered the strongest in NE have changed dramatically over the last few decades. So most references to past records are irrelevant today. He made mention of the fact that the series ended because HC had dropped down to D1AA.

What's most interesting is that a "powerhouse" like BCU has decided to beef up it's schedule by starting a series against a school.... that just started to offer scholarships again. Doing this when there is another BCS program in the region that would provide much more of a future rivalry is either trying to ensure that you have a cupcake on your schedule, OR continuing with the bitterness that supposedly had been diminishing recently. Either way...there's nothing like challenging yourselves, whether it be on the field, or in degree of maturity!

Reaction Score
I think you missed his main point and instead chose to focus on the historical record against Holy Cross. I think most informed college football fans would recognize that HC wasn't, and hasn't, been competitive in football for a long, long time. In fact, most of the teams considered the strongest in NE have changed dramatically over the last few decades. So most references to past records are irrelevant today. He made mention of the fact that the series ended because HC had dropped down to D1AA.

What's most interesting is that a "powerhouse" like BCU has decided to beef up it's schedule by starting a series against a school.... that just started to offer scholarships again. Doing this when there is another BCS program in the region that would provide much more of a future rivalry is either trying to ensure that you have a cupcake on your schedule, OR continuing with the bitterness that supposedly had been diminishing recently. Either way...there's nothing like challenging yourselves, whether it be on the field, or in degree of maturity!

What it indicates is that BC is going to play their FCS game against a team it has a long history with both academically and religiously, both being Jesuit Colleges. Instead of providing a payday for URI, UMaine or the like it will be against Holy Cross, a fellow Jesuit Institution. It makes a lot of sense for both schools. HC gets a payday and BC gets an FCS opponent who will bring more fans than another FCS school.

BC has been beefing up their schedule with teams like Notre Dame, University of Southern California and Ohio State. Traditional National Powers.

Reaction Score
It tells me that a team that is 8-19-1 lifetime against Holy Cross won two Big East Championships and played in a BCS Bowl.

Switching to basketball, the national championship scoreboard reads, as you know: Holy Cross 1, Boston College 0.

Switching to Hockey BC 5, Holy Cross 0, UConn 0.

Switching to baseball Holy Cross 1, rest of New England 0.

Reaction Score

Well if you want to now add UConn into the comparison, then basketball should be UC0nn 3, HC 1 and BC 0.

Reaction Score
Well if you want to now add UConn into the comparison, then basketball should be UC0nn 3, HC 1 and BC 0.

Congratulations, I didn't know that UConn won a championship in basketball. It is never mentioned here on the football board. I never would have known.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

You left out sailing.

It actually makes sense for this series to resume, as long as BC plays a FCS school each year. Kind of like Syracuse resuming a series with Cornell or Colgate.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Congratulations, I didn't know that UConn won a championship in basketball. It is never mentioned here on the football board. I never would have known.

You shouldn't congratulate us on that. You should congratulate us on the fact that we're so great, that a BC fan like yourself couldn't help but have almost 300 posts on a UConn fan site... :eek:

Reaction Score

UCONN fans always try to switch the discussion to basketball which is just funny. I don't think the "bitterness" that someone mentioned is diminshing and I think UCONN should try to get a series with Syracuse instead although that seems unlikely also. Why aren't teams like Cuse, BC, PSU, and Miami interested in playing UCONN? That's the question you have to ask.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Why aren't teams like Cuse, BC, PSU, and Miami interested in playing UCONN? That's the question you have to ask.

Maybe because we play higher-profile teams like Michigan, Tennessee, BYU, and Boise? Or maybe because 'Cuse was sick of us dominating them for the last decade, and BC would rather play similar competition in Holy Cross...not sure which one...

Reaction Score
Well apparently you needed reminding, as you conveniently left that one out of your comparison! Typical narrow-minded thinking I suppose.

Reaction Score
UCONN fans always try to switch the discussion to basketball which is just funny.
Ummm no....just think if you're going to do a comparison of schools national championships, and basketball is included, then why would you NOT include the most successful program in , not just New England, but in the northeast?!? I guess you just try to block that out as much as you can though! ;)

Reaction Score

I believe this is a good assessment and analogy. BC and Holy Cross as 2 Catholic Universities go way back in Massachusetts college football. Returning them once again them to the BC football schedule has more appeal for casual fans in Eastern Massachusetts than for instance Weber State or some such on their schedule. There are good relations between the schools, and it makes sense. While their earlier rivalry games were heated in the 50's, 60's, there never was a feeling of potential violence that could break out at any moment among various fan bases either at Alumni or in Worcester for het annual rivalry football games. So this game makes sense in Eastern Mass., imo

Last edited:
Reaction Score
M maybe because 'Cuse was sick of us dominating them for the last decade, and BC would rather play similar competition in Holy Cross...not sure which one...

Ouch.. people say that the bitterness has subsided.. but I'm not seeing it just yet.

Reaction Score
In the interest of correcting the record, it seems that the OP didn't bother to read what he/she attached. Neither did I, unfortunately.

The lifetime BC/HC series does not stand at 31-29-3. Rather, it stands at 48-31-3, with BC winning 17 of the last 19 games.

As I said in my post above, the BC/HC sereis in later years was not the BC/HC series in the early years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom