OT: Alex Cora's Philosophy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Alex Cora's Philosophy

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Are you saying Vazquez, Sandy Leon and Swihart could all start for any team? Not one of them would start over Posey, Gary Sanchez, Kurt Suzuki, Yadi, Wieters or probably 5 to 10 other catchers. I’m a big Sox fan as well, but that’s not even close to true.

Pretty sure he meant they are viable MLB starters. Not that they're better than everybody else.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Before everyone gets butt hurt about this. The guy played the game. I think he gets it. He has a deep team, and canNot start the same 9 guys day to day. This is a rational approach under these circumstances.

It doesn’t much matter if he fields the best lineup every day. It’s not even clear what that is. Aside from Betts and Bogaerts, it is far from obvious at the other spots.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure he meant they are viable MLB starters. Not that they're better than everybody else.
Right, but I don’t even think that’s true. Leon and Swihart are a backup and a 3rd string catcher on many teams, not just the Sox. Even Christian would be a backup on many teams.

Reaction Score
I played high level AAU baseball. We would play five games per weekend pretty regularly. If there wasn't a Friday game that meant three games on Saturday or Sunday depending on how the bracket was set up.

What's the difference between high level AAU baseball and AAU baseball?

Reaction Score

He was star pitcher and starting SS and hit 3rd. Coaches still talk about how quick his wrists were thru the zone and that smooth stroke. Also threw an easy 94 of the bump and could touch 98. Featured a plus-plus deucer.

Reaction Score
As long as they win, it's good, but when they start losing he better have his top guys in there. They better not get swept by Tampa today.

Reaction Score
As long as they win, it's good, but when they start losing he better have his top guys in there. They better not get swept by Tampa today.
Have you seen today’s lineup card? Moreland, Leon and Lin.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
That's one guy from 60 years ago. Hitting is a mental exercise these days.

How many will match Yogi's accomplishments? Few if any.

Reaction Score
the level of competition? All AAU baseball is not equal. We had several kids on our team get drafted and we were playing one of the best tournament schedules you can in New England.

Reaction Score
Why the heck is Bogaerts not playing! I know Betts is dinged up, but I thought Bogey was healthy enough to play.
I guess he still has soreness in the heel and they’re being cautious but with Mookie out and a sweep possible, it’s a curious move. The Yankees are playing great and now only 2 behind.

Reaction Score
I guess he still has soreness in the heel and they’re being cautious but with Mookie out and a sweep possible, it’s a curious move. The Yankees are playing great and now only 2 behind.
I hate the Yankees with passion, but the bottom line is that they have a better offense, better bullpen, and we might have a better starting rotation, but I'm not sold on that.

Reaction Score
I hate the Yankees with passion, but the bottom line is that they have a better offense, better bullpen, and we might have a better starting rotation, but I'm not sold on that.

You may want to wait on that better bullpen thing. Lots of question marks with Kahnle losing 3-4 MPH prior to getting hurt, Betances afraid to throw his fastball as well as not being able to make a play without throwing it away. Robertson’s not getting any younger, Green also not throwing as hard and movement not the same. Smoke and mirrors right now in the pen it’s not the lock it was intended to be.

Reaction Score
You may want to wait on that better bullpen thing. Lots of question marks with Kahnle losing 3-4 MPH prior to getting hurt, Betances afraid to throw his fastball as well as not being able to make a play without throwing it away. Robertson’s not getting any younger, Green also not throwing as hard and movement not the same. Smoke and mirrors right now in the pen it’s not the lock it was intended to be.
I'm afraid Betances is going to get the yips and be out of baseball entirely in a year or two. He's teetering on that line right now

Reaction Score
I'm afraid Betances is going to get the yips and be out of baseball entirely in a year or two. He's teetering on that line right now

No doubt it’s scary how whacked he is. Always hope after an inning like the other night but needs to put a few like that together. Problem is with anyone on base a whole different guy it seems. He’s so talented yet can’t go to him in a big spot right now.

Reaction Score
He was star pitcher and starting SS and hit 3rd. Coaches still talk about how quick his wrists were thru the zone and that smooth stroke. Also threw an easy 94 of the bump and could touch 98. Featured a plus-plus deucer.

Who are you talking about or are you kidding?

Reaction Score
JMick he's talking about you?
Lol no. He was mocking me. I was one of the worst players on the team. I could have played D3 baseball for a decent team if I wanted to but that's about it.

Reaction Score
Lol no. He was mocking me. I was one of the worst players on the team. I could have played D3 baseball for a decent team if I wanted to but that's about it.

That's cool I played baseball too wish I worked a lot harder in high school and college but had fun nonetheless greatest game ever basketball is a close second

Reaction Score
Keeping everyone involved is the key to making a good team. If they made his roster, they should be able to contribute. Smart baseball guy.

Reaction Score
You're managing a season - not tiny blocks of games. Especially on the pitching side, Sale and Pomeranz have not been world beaters down the stretch. I'm fine with it. They have the depth to do it.

Reaction Score
I like the idea of giving a player a day off every 7-10 days. I just don't like how Cora does it where he seems to write down the days off you get weeks in advance.

If a guy is 3-4 or 6-8 over 2 games I just don't like sitting that bat. Wait until the player has a game with a few ugly at bats.

Reaction Score
Isn’t Cora implementing a similar strategy that Houston won the World Series with?

Maybe we should let it play out for a year before drawing conclusions, good or bad.

Reaction Score
So...while the Sox are not as hot...they're still among the top couple teams. Is it worth noting that...JD Martinez has a history of lisfranc injury...and he just fouled one off his foot and had to hobble around for a while?
I'm too lazy to look up to see if it was even the same foot or not but, even tho '04 changed absolutely everything...as a Sox fan, these things cross yer mind....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom